Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erne Pike Classic/ban the barrel

Options
  • 30-08-2007 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

the Erne Pike Classic and the decision by the organisers Fermanagh District Council to allow the pike caught to be retained in barrels that are clearly and completely inadequate for the purpose. However, it appears that the organisers have failed to be persuaded of the error of their ways and I understand local pike anglers have even offered their services and unpaid stewards for this match to ensure that it is not necessary to use such a ridiculous and clearly dangerous form of pike retention.
    I therefore have no hesitation in urging all right thinking pike anglers to boycott this match, and to urge others to do so. Whether this boycott will do any good remains to be seen,,useing unaerated tanks can see pike develope an oxygen debt. This in turn means lactic acid accumulation. This can result in death though the fish swims off,,this hads to stop north and south
    if any one agrees wit me register your disgust at the use of the barrells.

To that end can i suggest that everyone email their displeasure to the following addresses

mark@polefloats.com - Mark Lichtenburg organiser

dcalangling@dcalni.gov.uk - department of Culture Arts and leisure

keith.collen@fermanagh.gov.uk - Organiser for Fermanagh District council

info@nitb.com - NI Tourist board.

It is important that these emails are kept polite and are not abusive in any way and just focus upon the fact that

you will not be visiting NI or the Fermanagh area to fish whilst these barrels are still in use

that you think the retention of pike in such a manner is uneccessary and unwise for the conservation of pike stocks.

cheers

anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Check out this Months Pike & Predator magazine to see how truly gruesome this practice is.

They've a very good feature in the magazine about the Erne competition and debates the whole notion of "match", fishing for Pike, witch basically is what the Erne classic is.

I fully agree with the above posts thinking and have mailed the relevant people.

I'd urge any Pike angler to do the same and let them know that you'll be fishing other waters until they implement a policy of aerated tanks with dimensions and water levels specified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

the whole match fishing for pike thing is a bit silly anyway... for me anyway the thing with pike has always been one good one outweighs 15 5lbers -- i dont know if thats the case with other anglers..

Advertisement