Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten years off today

Options
  • 30-08-2007 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭

I’m delighted to get up this morning and declare that I’m off the cigarettes 10 years today. I gave up my 50 Majors a day habit on Saturday the 30th of August 1997. :cool:

People say that the first few days are the toughest but I wouldn’t agree. It’s much tougher after a few weeks when the enthusiasm wears off and friend/family/colleagues no longer offer encouragement.

I wouldn’t have done it without Nicorette chewing gum though. It got me through the worst bits and I still buy an occasional pack. I wouldn’t get by without ordinary chewing gum though.

I hope this may provide some encouragement for others. :)

(PS – The date has always been easy to remember as it was the day before Princess Diana was killed ;)).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Congratulations!

Yesterday was my 10th day into quitting, the thought of making it to 10 years is definitely inspiring - well done to you!

And even 10 years into a quit - the body is still healing and benefitting, I just read this yesterday:
    "10 years after quitting, ex-smokers' arteries relax: study"
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_kmafp/is_200703/ai_n18729043

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Well done.

You may not have noticed it, but I'm sure your wallet has benefited too?

10 years * 365 days * lets say 5e on average per back (plucked that number, I'm not a smoker :p ) * 2.5 packs per day?

€45,625 :eek::eek::confused::eek::eek:

Is my maths way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

At today's prices it would be about €64,000! :eek:

I can't remember how much they were when I quit though. :confused:

Thanks for the kind comments. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

2:00PM, April 15th 2007 was my last cigarette.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

That's brilliant! I'm currently at 4 weeks :o - Plus I'm one of those smokers who never wanted to smoke - I know that makes sense to some people out there - so I'm chuffed with myself!!! :D *pat on the back for winter*

Tell me this - do you still get the odd craving for one? :confused: My mam is off them over 20 years and a couple of times she commented that she would see my cigarettes and think 'Mh... just one...' and she would actually have to stop herself - and she really does believe that if she did have one she'd be hooked again in a second.

Ugh... I don't want to spend the next 40 years lusting after a packet of Malboro :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

congratulations Wishbone Ash, that's quite an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Congratulations to everyone who has managed to give them up. Close to two and a half years off them myself.
    Does anybody know if the damage to lungs is reversible ? and if so what kind of time scale would be involved? Been wondering myself of late. I started exercising for the first time in a while and it feels so good. Even when tired or out of breath, I found my recovery to be much faster since I stopped smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Well done you, 10 years is great! I'm off them 5 weeks now myself, it's amazing how different you feel after such a short time!

Advertisement