Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a nice restaurant

Options
  • 30-08-2007 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

My wedding anniversary is soon and we want to go to really really nice restaurant. Looking for nice food, nice atmosphere, you know the usual.
    I dont mind paying for a nice restaurant, but not if its just "the name"
    and the food is muck.
    Any recommendations in Wexford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fordes on the crescent might be what you're looking for, great food, fantastic service and a lovely quiet atmosphere with views over the harbour. Can't go wrong!

I'd second Fordes.. also Mickey Wallaces Italien place in Enniscorthy is also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Siana

Hope it is not too late but Newbay Country House has a nice restaurant too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Id say fordes is your best bet but wouldnt be what id call quiet, no decent restaurant worth going to will be quiet for obvious reasons!
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Went to Fordes in the end, really nice, food was great.

Went to Mange2 there on the weekend too, that was superb, would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Out of the blue in Courtown.

Definitely one of the best around here anyway.
    Crabs claws starters, surf and turf main, and sticky toffeee pudding for dessert.

The food in there is fantastic and the portions are excellent. A proper seafood restaurant, pm me for the number to make a booking

I would also recommend Luna Rossa in Gorey, Italian witha fantastic menu too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

Very nice food and atmosphere........bit pricey but well worth the visit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Tell yah what, if any restaurant can beat the Thai one across from Abrakebabra in Wexford town i'll eat my hat. Fantastic service, lovely room and atmosphere. And you can see your food being cooked in the open kitchen. Not to the mention the food is simply delicious. And i mean its heavenly!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

I'd second Fordes.. also Mickey Wallaces Italien place in Enniscorthy is also very good.

service in Wallace's is VERY slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

For a really lovely meal, I think you can't beat The Lobster Pot in Carne, I wouldn't go near it in Summer as its packed but during the winter is a good bit quieter. Fantastic food, great menu and its such a quaint little place.

Also they do a fantastic Wednesday night special - something like €34 for a 5 course meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Statso wrote: »
    Tell yah what, if any restaurant can beat the Thai one across from Abrakebabra in Wexford town i'll eat my hat. Fantastic service, lovely room and atmosphere. And you can see your food being cooked in the open kitchen. Not to the mention the food is simply delicious. And i mean its heavenly!

+ 1! (and it's called The Vine).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Another vote for Fordes... I love it there. It can be busy, but it never feels intrusive.

Has anyone been to Taste, beside Dolce Vita? Is it any good. We went and had a look this afternoon, but it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 groveman60

Commenting on restaurants and saying that the food is excellent and lovely ambience there is all very well, but what about the quantity of food on the plate. A big plate with damn all on it (though nicely presented) is not what I'm looking for when I go for a meal out. Does this bring any restaurants to mind?.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

I would second The Lobster Pot. Real nice atmosphere great food and not too hard on the pocket compared with some restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

groveman60 -the only place I find I have the problem of feck all on my plate sometimes is in the Riverbank (esp with the fish dishes)..... unless you order extra sides you can leave hungry!

Fordes main dishes can be small, but they give you enough sides with you main (stir fried vege and some deep fried potato wrapped in pastry thing) to fill you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

If you like Italian....

http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/via_veneto.6142.html

Excellent food , reasonable prices, great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Poochie05 wrote: »
    + 1! (and it's called The Vine).

+1 is right. I know this post is a bit late but just anyone looking for a resteraunt in future, look no further!Top quality service and the food is out of this world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Does anyone know if Fordes welcome children aged 12 and 10, they're well behaved in restaurants.

We're hoping to drive to Wexford this coming Sunday and will have lunch while we're there. I've heard good things about Fordes, a thai restaurant and The Lobster Pot. It's ages since I was in Wexford but I remember loads of one way streets with lots of people walking in the middle of the road ;). Is it easy to find parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

deisemum wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Fordes welcome children aged 12 and 10, they're well behaved in restaurants.

We're hoping to drive to Wexford this coming Sunday and will have lunch while we're there. I've heard good things about Fordes, a thai restaurant and The Lobster Pot. It's ages since I was in Wexford but I remember loads of one way streets with lots of people walking in the middle of the road ;). Is it easy to find parking?

Parking is easy and free on a sunday, dont know how child friendly those places are but Springsteens on the quay is fine for kids, decent food too if that's what your in the mood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thanks for that.

It's actually our 18th wedding anniversary on Sunday but due to children's sporting commitments we'll be going to Wexford and will have to eat out anyway so may as well kill two birds with the one stone and not have to cook :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Ffordes and the Vine.....both absolutely out of the top drawer!

Lobster Pot....good....not all that special IMO ...food ok, service ok, all ok.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chiurce

Fordes is only ok.
    Mange tout is good but pricey. Can be hit and miss.
    Lobster Pot would impress American Tourists. Don't like it myself. Pricey and they do not like kids. Expensive also.
    The Vine has good food. Fresh thai.
    Two very good Italian's in Enniscorthy. Wallace place Enoteca D'Alba is excellent. Don't go if you are in a hurry. The service is very relaxed but that is part of the charm. If you have ever eaten in Italy you will understand that eating takes time.
    Taste is not very good. Has not been very busy since opening.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

de vine ....mah not really into fast food
    robertinos bah hahhahaha the waiter are on work experience
    dont hold yer breath it's wexford food but dublin prices if ya know what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rosswoman1

Have to say we are addicted to the Il Primo in New Ross but not much else in New Ross as the others are all Chinese.
    Next fave is the Galo Chargrill in Enniscorthy yum yum brilliant and best ever tasting potato wedges!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's also a new-ish restaurant in New Ross - Et Voila in the Irishtown.

Review here.

There is a new Frence Restaurant in Wexford serving Modern Frence and Irish Cuisine called Le Tire Bouchon.
    It is very good, highly recommended!

chiurce wrote: »
    There is a new Frence Restaurant in Wexford serving Modern Frence and Irish Cuisine called Le Tire Bouchon.
    It is very good, highly recommended!

you wouldnt be a bit biased would you ;) Sounds good though, will add to the decent mix allready there.

My only bias is toward good food. I have no vested interested in the Restaurant. Try it for yourself.:D

chiurce wrote: »
    My only bias is toward good food. I have no vested interested in the Restaurant. Try it for yourself.:D

I will, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

Both great Italians, just check opening times. La Dolce Vita is only open Fri/Sun evenings for dinner.

chiurce, where is the new french restaurant in Wexford town?

Advertisement