Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fresher module registration

• 30-08-2007 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

does anyone have any idea when phase two is going to be available for freshers? Everywhere on the UCD website says "make sure you register early". I'm trying to but it's still not available and now I have to go to work so i won't get another chance till like 6 this evening. ARRGH!!!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It probably starts at 10. I've started trying, but it still says not available.

Other question(maybe slightly off-topic, but its about registration): When I'm registering now, do I pick the modules for this semester only? eg. Going to do history at 10 credits(1st year Arts btw). So do I only pick the class that I want now for this semester, or do I pick next semester one aswell.

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/course_search.html

There the options for this year, I know which ones I want anyway, but for this semester do I only pick the French & Russian one? Sorry for going on so long about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

I've been advised to wait until I've attended some info sessions or lectures before making choices but am kind of nervous in case subject I want or think I want might be full up .... any thoughts?

I knew what I wanted to do, so I've gone ahead and fully chose them. 21 hours semester 1, 10 hrs semester 2. Turns out I had to choose next semester modules aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm

I think I'll leave mine until after some of the info sessions maybe... I have a habit of doing things... wrong

just hope philosophy doesn't fill up.. I don't really care what else I do in first year, but it'll be akward enough going into second year philosophy without having done first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

yeah, got drama and french. Though I thought I'd be doing both for both semesters. guess it's more like fourth year than I thought.

To all those people who said they're scared their courses might fill. I suggest you claim a place in a course that you think you'll enjoy asap. it says they're only provisional so chances are if you see another course at the fresher week thing you can always just switch. but even if you can't you have the course you already chose to fall back on.

(as a side-note) just noticed that I have nothing on a friday for the first semester. Is this right? do I really have three-day weekends till january?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

You get to re-choose semester 2 options at the beginning of next semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

Im just doing mine now, engineering(gen)
    excluding elective modules, in first semester i dont have anything on friday!, just a 14hr week.
    is that normal???? i hope im doing this right..

semester 2 is 20hrs week , some days 4hrs consecutive.. is that normal?? seems a bit harsh, but i think it's my only option, no matter what times i choose for the subjects, im gonna end up like that.

uh

how do I register this ****?.. I found it on the website before but I'm having no look whatsoever today

just log in, go to my records, then click [here] then enter reg. process.
    you then put in your details and bout parents etc and pay via credit card(or giro which they apparently send out at some stage..)

and you can skip the payment momentarily and go to module regristration and then choose the stuff you want.. i read in the paper it's best to do it now as places get taken up, but in engineering things, theres lots of places left.

Is each lecture 45 minutes?

oh, i already payed.. did that bit
    just gogtta pick modules

• Advertisement

anyone here have any recommendations of electives?

Is it true that if you stick to one for the 4/5 yrs, you end up wit some sort of(not that great) qualification in that field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 aof

DtotheK wrote:
    Is each lecture 45 minutes?

50 minutes officially

ah, well atleast 'll get breaks inbetween 4 hours of maths and physics! i can go to my happy place

well, I wqas allowed pick 30 credits from philosophy.. so that's me happy, gona do ten in politics, ten in greek/roman civilisation and ten in electives from history.

timetable looks pretty sweet as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

excluding elective modules, in first semester i dont have anything on friday!, just a 14hr week
    Unless it has changed from last year you will be getting labs and tutorial times on top of that for all/most subjects. Don't think that will be on your timetable yet so your hours will go up (if thats the case).

Remember being disappointed when i realised my hours were almost double what i originally thought in first year.

aww

a 13 hour college week looked *so* appealing

On a Monday, I have lectures from 9 through to 3. Then one again at 4. Others days after that are much easier. Might change it a slight bit, to cut back on that for Monday. Semester 2 I'm not in on Fridays, which is handy, only have max 3 lectures a day those weeks too. No economics for semster 2 for me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

I was under the impression from the registration guide that it didnt matter how soon you registered your modules between today and the 8th as its random selection until then and after that its first come first served,

one things for sure its damn confusing:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Thats what I understood from it too... and it recommends going to info sessions etc. Anyway I hope thats it because I'm going to do Irish and History but am undecided between 20 credits in either Art History or Archaeology or do 10 in each so am relying on info sessions to help make up my mind. Want to concentrate mainly on Irish & History to take on to Stage 2 .... hopefully ... so don't want too heavy workload in anything else

Your Man wrote:

holla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Ok... So I seem to have gotten through the reg process almost hassle free except that I registered for a module by accident, didn't notice and didn't have a clue what was up with my credits! - but enough said about that.

There is just one thing that's worrying me... :confused:
    When I view the calendar it tells me when all my lectures are, but all except 1 of my labs/tuts have been registered automatically.

How do I find out what times they're at, cos the only one that appears on the calander is the one I had to pick a time for.

I'm sure... (or hoping) that there's a simple explanation for this!

150th post - w00t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea I'm in the same boat there, only know when the lectures are...

I've got 4 9am starts during the week :( but luckily a nice lie in on fridays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 aof

bryanw wrote:
    How do I find out what times they're at, cos the only one that appears on the calander is the one I had to pick a time for.

They won't be on the timetable for a while yet. The lecture and tutorial times used to be in the module description but I think that's gone. You're probably just going to have to wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

That's what I wanted to hear... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikesin

Your Man wrote:
    I was under the impression from the registration guide that it didnt matter how soon you registered your modules between today and the 8th as its random selection until then and after that its first come first served,

The random selection thing is only to do with electives. All your other modules are gone when they are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

are the core modules and the core practicals/tutorials automatically registered?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Oh crap, does this mean I'm going to have a more packed timetable than I do at the moment?

Just go into View Calender on the top right of the page when looking at subjects picked. when you have to choose a time, it will only show you the times for that elective/module etc, but when you register that one, click on View Calender, and it'll all show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Im registered for an elective module but it wont let me choose a time, when i click it a popup loads and closes again and an error comes up on the page "ORA-20525: DUPLICATE CRN" Anyone having the same problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement