Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have the VRT Regulations changed?

Options
  • 30-08-2007 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

My son is working in the UK and he's bought a really nice car. Needless to say, it only cost half what he'd have to pay here!

He intends bringing it home when he moves back from the UK. He expects to be exempt from paying VRT. The problem is that he will only have owned the car for 7 months.

I was reading through the threads in this forum and there's a suggestion that he would have to own the car in the UK for 12 months because of new regulations!

Anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

as far as I know as long as he can prove that he has been living there for at least 6 months then he should be exempt from VRT someone here will post some links. I cant find them right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

According to:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/practical-issues-when-travelling-to-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland

You only have to own the car for 6 months. I remember hearing something about you had to be abroad for 12 months but I can't find anything to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik to be exempt from paying VRT on an import you need the following:

Live and work abroad for at least 12 months (students excluded afaik), proof of utility bills, rent or mortgage, etc will be required.

Own the car to be imported for at least 6 months outside the State. Again proof will be needed.

And cannot sell the car within the State for a further 12 months.

This is my take on it anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Audi A6 is rubbish Gerry! :D

Advertisement