Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle Import/Export Utility Issues

Options
  • 30-08-2007 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi Guys
    We currently have an Oracle 9i database and are having performance issues. One thing I am looking at doing is cutting down the number of extents on some of the major hitting tables and index (some of these have up to 90 extents:mad: ).
    Now while using the the Oracle EXP utility on the test environment I have noticed that the compress parameter doesnt actually compress the table and index when I import it back in to the database. I take a note of the number of extents before the export, do the export, drop the table and then import the table & index again but the number and size of of extents are the extact same:(
    Has anybody ever come across this. My boss has said that he know it defo worked on Oracle 7 when he did it previously and cant understand why it doesnt now in Oracle 9i
    Any help appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What type of data is it? Is it partitioned?

From the Oracle documentation:
    Neither LOB data nor subpartition data is compressed. Rather, values of initial extent size and next extent size at the time of export are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 anto8791

The data is all VCHARS, NUMBERS. There are no LOBS in the database.
    Not sure about the partitioned..Will have to check with the DBA here.
    Thanks for the help so far:D

Advertisement