Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile phone signals

• 30-08-2007 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am looking for a solution to either boost my Vodafone 3G signal in my home and feel if I could add a car kit incorporating an aerial in my attic that it would make a big difference. I am aware that cell boosters are available in the US- has anyone any thoughts or suggestions please. As per usual getting nowhere with Vodafone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

That might work in theory but you'd have to use your phone through the carkit. If the phone is too far away from the carkit it won't work.

The aerial coupling on the latest Nokia handsets also isn't as good anymore, unfortunately. They usually use a wireless coupling these days with a little antenna pad inside the handset cradle, whereas before they used to have a coaxial connection at the back of the phone, which gives a much better (direct) connection to the antenna. I suppose this is due to the networks which have improved so much that an optimal antenna connection is no longer necessary.

Also make sure that when you use an on-car antenna in your home, that you put it on top of a large metal object, preferably flat (e.g. a washing machine), because car antennas are designed to work on top of a large metal surface (called a ground plane) and will not work well without it.

Edit: I was (perhaps incorrectly) assuming that you use a Nokia phone, I now reread and saw that you don't mention a brand. Some other brands such as Sony Ericsson do still have a direct coupling on some of their phones and that should make a bigger difference then with an external antenna.

Advertisement