Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Program to capture file names in folder and output

• 30-08-2007 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey,
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this, feel free to move. I was just wondering if there was a program out there that could capture all the file names in a folder and output the list to some program; word or even .txt. I've got folders with large amount of files that i want to backup and keep a list of what file is on what DVD.
    I thought there might be a program out there that would do it automatically but a google threw up nothing for me.
    Anyone know of anything or got any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Are you looking for an Auditing program, I don't know if this will be much help but iQuate do a good one and I think you can do a trail run on it. Google them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Open a command prompt (Start > Run > type "cmd")

Then dir /b >myfiles.txt will create a text file named myfiles.txt in the same folder listing all files in the folder. dir /? will give you some more sorting and formatting options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's a bit crude but the dos command dir will work.
    dir x:\foldername /s >filename.txt
    You could also use the /w parameter to wide list format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

theres a program called Smartdir that will do what you want

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lists all files and subfolders in order of name
    Dir C:\ /B /S /O > filelist.txt

This gives the full path on each file
    Dir C:\ /S /O > filelist.txt

you could rename the file to match the Volume label / name of the CD

If you want a live database of CD's you are looking at some sort of backup program with catalogs or an organise my collection program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Thanks guys,

Smartdir did the job perfectly, thanks for all the replies,

V

Advertisement