Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 studybuddy1

I have an xp with 35gb of free space its also a pentium 4 my graphics card is pretty basic is that enough to enjoy fallout 3?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what graphics card do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I have an xp with 35gb of free space its also a pentium 4 my graphics card is pretty basic is that enough to enjoy fallout 3?
    Check out this site and it'll let you know:
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/

my graphics card is a 64mb nividia geforce2 mx400

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

my graphics card is a 64mb nividia geforce2 mx400

Thats a blast from the past! I had one of them back in the day.

In short, this card isnt up to Fallout 3.

Heres the minimum specifications
    thebman wrote: »
    There is no running and gunning in this to be more precise.

If your looking for a traditional FPS with RPG elements, this ain't it. Its an RPG from a first person point of view. The combat system is less than perfect I found.

Other than an entertaining game if you have the time to put into it but I never did unfortunately.

Yeah, true I may have misled him there abit. Its not Doom 3 with some conversation options. The reason I likened it to regular FPS's was I never liked RPG's untill I played Fallout 3. I would describe it as a FPS/RPG hybrid game. Its marries the best of both worlds very well. You get the deep engrossing gamplay of an RPG and also the excitement and immediacy of an FPS. People who like FPS's with a slower pace, some strategy and a great plot should like this. The combat is quite satisfying i find. Once your levels start moving up and you get some good weapons, it starts to become enjoyable. When your fumbling around at the beginning with a rusty rifle and you cant shoot straight, its abit tedious.

• Advertisement

To be honest with you i am not that amazing with computers in general what would happen to the game due to my poor graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

To be honest with you i am not that amazing with computers in general what would happen to the game due to my poor graphics card?

it won't run :)

Anyway, just thought I'd say this, I seem to be one of the few gamers in the world who like all 3 main Fallout games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Anyway, just thought I'd say this, I seem to be one of the few gamers in the world who like all 3 main Fallout games :)

I was trying to get a fallout sub-forum for just the above, lots of people love the old games, and with sequels and movies on the way, fallout is here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It may not load, or it might be unplayable due to poor frame rates.

Depending on your PC, it might be possible to get a better card for little money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You can an awesome graphics card for under a hundred euro that will run it on full graphics if the rest of your system is reasonable spec.

However, compatibility and everything comes in when considering upgrades so don't rush out and buy one without doing your homework.

Well worth it though if its holding your system back. I recently built my own gaming Pc and its awesome :D

You can do it relatively cheaply for what you get the far side and TBH, any idiot can do it as long as you RTFM which is about 3 pages long of relevant info anyway. As a general rule, if it don't fit, it don't go there when putting in hardware (unless its firewire/usb in which case the slots are the exact same, thanks Apple).

• Advertisement

So what graphics card would you recommend that is cheap enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

So what graphics card would you recommend that is cheap enough?

The MX440 being an AGP card, unless you change your motherboard, you're limited to only buying AGP cards, which are pretty ancient tech these days.

If you want to play games like Fallout 3, you will have to bite the bullet and either buy a new pc or get the parts separately and build it yourself.
    Chances are you're running a system 8 - 10 years old, so upgrading one component will invariably mean upgrading another. Its really not worth the hassle.

As bman says, building your own is a pretty straightforward process and you will save a fair few quid over the likes of a PCWorld job. The main problem you'll have is buying the right parts, under budget and avoiding incompatibilities. If you're not interested in that kind of thing, maybe a techie friend could put all the parts in a shopping basket on some site and you can buy it. Thats what i did before I took the plunge and built my first pc.
    Other than that, think about just buying a new machine. (Or playing it on PS3........... !)

Agreed, you really should build yourself a new PC if you want to do some PC gaming.

Thanks for all your help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh and if you do just buy a new graphics card, make sure you take a tape measure out and measure the space available inside your computer. Many modern gfx cards are quite big, certainly compared to their predecessors, and you could very easily buy a replacement only to find it doesn't actually fit inside your case.

It sounds like a very obvious thing to say, but it's also the kind of thing you wouldn't easily forget until it's too late. Nearly did it myself :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im on the american dream quest at the moment prior to be been capurtured I had jericho as my campanion,Im just wondering after finshing american dream quest where will he be?will I have to recruit him again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Agricola wrote: »
    The MX440 being an AGP card, unless you change your motherboard, you're limited to only buying AGP cards, which are pretty ancient tech these days.

If you want to play games like Fallout 3, you will have to bite the bullet and either buy a new pc or get the parts separately and build it yourself.
    Chances are you're running a system 8 - 10 years old, so upgrading one component will invariably mean upgrading another. Its really not worth the hassle.

As bman says, building your own is a pretty straightforward process and you will save a fair few quid over the likes of a PCWorld job. The main problem you'll have is buying the right parts, under budget and avoiding incompatibilities. If you're not interested in that kind of thing, maybe a techie friend could put all the parts in a shopping basket on some site and you can buy it. Thats what i did before I took the plunge and built my first pc.
    Other than that, think about just buying a new machine. (Or playing it on PS3........... !)

I would also say that folks in the Building and Upgrading section of Boards offer good help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and if you do just buy a new graphics card, make sure you take a tape measure out and measure the space available inside your computer. Many modern gfx cards are quite big, certainly compared to their predecessors, and you could very easily buy a replacement only to find it doesn't actually fit inside your case.

It sounds like a very obvious thing to say, but it's also the kind of thing you wouldn't easily forget until it's too late. Nearly did it myself :D
    Did it myself years ago. :D Bought a lovely 6800 GTX Ultra and the bleedin' thing wouldn't physically fit. Had to remove various fittings off the case to make it work. Card was noisy, but was great for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I should really install FO3 again, I haven't played since I reformatted my PC.
    What are the must-have mods of the moment? I've been out of it for a while.

Colm! wrote: »
    I should really install FO3 again, I haven't played since I reformatted my PC.
    What are the must-have mods of the moment? I've been out of it for a while.

I'd like to know as well, as I am considering Re-buying FO3 for PC ( I already have it on PS3 but don't like playing on my PS3 as much as my PC )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Started Fallout 3 again tonight. Some game! Love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Kersmash wrote: »
    Started Fallout 3 again tonight. Some game! Love it :D

There's a great sense of anticipation when you start playing, with all the possibilities laid out in front of you...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still remember when you leave the Vault for the first time, and the Wasteland just opens up before you as your eyes adjust to the light. Such an amazing sense of scale.

Fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »
    I still remember when you leave the Vault for the first time, and the Wasteland just opens up before you as your eyes adjust to the light. Such an amazing sense of scale.

Fantastic game.
    I loved the contrast between that and Oblivion, which had the same kind of start but Oblivion had a beautiful vista and Fallout 3 had this apocalyptic hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

It has only been today that I have discovered the joys of Brahmin tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Indeed its already a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ive just started playing this game on ps3 and im about 3 hours into it,the situation is my save point leaves me at 1 health bar,no aid and loads of enemies nearby so cant travel to anywhere else,last save point is back at the beginning,cant seem to last too long as im just getting swarmed by them ghoul lads and shot at by raiders,dont want to have to start again i was just getting into it,any suggestions???

Umm, don't get hit?

But seriously, this should teach you to have several saves.

anyway, Fallout 3 (PC) has been crashtastic for me recently, two most recent crashes are: froze completely (radio still going though along with ambient track) when shooting raider in the head or looting a dead mirelurk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Do you not have any food or drink? Neither of them are hard to find - just be mindful of the rads.

Don't fight. Maintain your distance form any enemies by going around them. Creep if necessary and be mindful of the hidden/ caution/ danger indicator. Avoid any red blips on your compass. When you are clear of enemies fast travel to the nearest safe spot (possibly somewhere like Megaton). Finally, save more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

cambo2008 wrote: »
    ive just started playing this game on ps3 and im about 3 hours into it,the situation is my save point leaves me at 1 health bar,no aid and loads of enemies nearby so cant travel to anywhere else,last save point is back at the beginning,cant seem to last too long as im just getting swarmed by them ghoul lads and shot at by raiders,dont want to have to start again i was just getting into it,any suggestions???
    Honestly, this kind of thing was some of the best moments in the game.
    The amount of times I badly miscalculated the enemy strength and found myself having to flee after I ran out of ammo and stims!

Advertisement