Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gonebeyondajoke

i can't wait it just looks so cool and its from such a great studio aswell i have no doubt that it will be another fantastic game its just like oblivion go anywhere do anything and wat ever you do effects da game i love it :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

pixelburp wrote: »
    The first review, well an "almost-review" is in & it's quite negative; it really sounds like a bad Oblivion mod at this stage :(
    http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=45725

the dude is french,what the **** does he know about anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

lol I wouldnt read anything that comes from MNA they are all insane fallout fanboys who cant be objective in the slightest.

erm, it's a repost from a French Gaming magazine, not some random NMA-er gobbing off.
    Lrn2read.

And that doesn't sound good at all..... the clothing stuff sounds atrocious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

erm, it's a repost from a French Gaming magazine, not some random NMA-er gobbing off.
    Lrn2read.

And that doesn't sound good at all..... the clothing stuff sounds atrocious.
    Indeed; I mean it all made sense in Oblivion because it had a world in which that sort of thing made sense (the general fantasy magic world where the internal logic said that clothes could be "enchanted"), and still being present in Fallout ... well. The comparisons with Bethesda's last game have been made.

Sloppy stuff all told, and I dare not go back to previous posts in this thread because I remember being genuinely excited about this game, even were it to be an Oblivion mod. I just didn't expect it to be exactly that.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Indeed; I mean it all made sense in Oblivion because it had a world in which that sort of thing made sense (the general fantasy magic world where the internal logic said that clothes could be "enchanted"), and still being present in Fallout ... well. The comparisons with Bethesda's last game have been made.

Sloppy stuff all told, and I dare not go back to previous posts in this thread because I remember being genuinely excited about this game, even were it to be an Oblivion mod. I just didn't expect it to be exactly that.

You know what would make sense?

If you could influence peoples perceptions of you by donning disguises. I mean if you needed to get into somewhere you might slap on some medical clothing and try and fast talk your way in, like the episode 'Ariel' from firefly (i dunno how many people will get the reference)

That'd be something, and of course the more charismatic you are the more likely people would believe you, but if you fuck up you'd be caught without any armour.

It's also something that was in the original fallouts so it'd fit...... but i dunno, unless it's a mis-translation or a hoax then that article make me both angry and sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

You know what would make sense?

If you could influence peoples perceptions of you by donning disguises. I mean if you needed to get into somewhere you might slap on some medical clothing and try and fast talk your way in, like the episode 'Ariel' from firefly (i dunno how many people will get the reference)

That'd be something, and of course the more charismatic you are the more likely people would believe you, but if you fuck up you'd be caught without any armour.

now what was jaynes line again?

I agree about the clothes youre wearing just adding to the bluff, it might mean a great sense of preparation before going into a situation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

mawk wrote: »

We applied the cortical electrodes
    but were unable to get a neural
    reaction from either patient

http://www.fireflywiki.org/108.html

mawk wrote: »

I agree about the clothes youre wearing just adding to the bluff, it might mean a great sense of preparation before going into a situation

y'know, if there was a side-mission in fallout 3 along those lines with that response in the dialogue options, i'd buy the game.
    Hell, i'd buy two.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

second nest firefly episode ever (out of gas is the best)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If even a quarter of that French (p)review is true it'll be f*cking awful. I'm glad I kept my hopes low to non-existant for this, I would love to be proved wrong, but I doubt I shall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/waits for reliable sources before he begins the reviewathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Sarky wrote: »
    If even a quarter of that French (p)review is true it'll be f*cking awful. I'm glad I kept my hopes low to non-existant for this, I would love to be proved wrong, but I doubt I shall.

It sounds like a Oblivion clone if thats the case, now I did like the game but if its going that way i'll be really disappointed ! They should just stick to the leveling system of the first games !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That review can be automatically disregarded on the grounds it is by a french guy, and the french wouldn't know a good game if it kicked them in their beret wearing balls.

I'll still reserve judgement on Fallout 3 for when I play it myself. It can get 50% in reviews and I'll pay no attention to them, because the complaints being levelled so far seem to be from people who have a fetish for graphics and probably cite Painkiller as the pinnacle of FPS gaming.

DarkJager wrote: »
    That review can be automatically disregarded on the grounds it is by a french guy, and the french wouldn't know a good game if it kicked them in their beret wearing balls.

I'll still reserve judgement on Fallout 3 for when I play it myself. It can get 50% in reviews and I'll pay no attention to them, because the complaints being levelled so far seem to be from people who have a fetish for graphics and probably cite Painkiller as the pinnacle of FPS gaming.

Painkiller IS the pinnacle of FPS gaming, you godless heathen.

Painkiller IS the pinnacle of FPS gaming, you godless heathen.

Yeah the pinnacle of boring the player to hot streaming tears over how **** it is..

DarkJager wrote: »
    Yeah the pinnacle of boring the player to hot streaming tears over how **** it is..

Are you french by any chance?

Are you french by any chance?

*vomits*

I think thats the most hurtful insult ever made against me :(:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Apparently there have been some good reviews, although i havent read any of them, bar the scores.
    PC Gamer France, 93% - Good variety of quests, lots of replayability
    PC Gamer Sweden, 81% - VATS is nice, but there is too much content in a game world that is too small, NPCs feel lifeless
    GMC Italy, 9/10 - Good atmosphere and turn-based combat, lackluster AI and mini-games
    OXM 10/11 - "Between its engrossing story, ginormous world, well-crafted RPG side and white-knuckle FPS combat, Fallout 3 completely, utterly gives you your $60 worth."
    Click! 8.75/10 - * Gameplay - 9.25 (Playability: 9.5, Longevity: 9.5, Variety: 9, AI: 9); * Graphics - 8.25 (Appearance: 8.5, Animations: 8 ); * Sound - 9.5 (Music: 9.5, Effects: 9.5); * Technical quality - 7.38 (Fluency: 7, Loading times: 8.5)
    PC Gamer UK, 90% - Excellent dialogue, combat, depth and minigames, but MQ is shortish and it's easy to miss things if you're not paying attention
    PC Action Germany, 90% - scores apparently start out at 100, and then points are deducted. -4% handling of the pipboy could be easier, -2% boring dungeon crawling, -1% dreary environment, -1% character moving too slow, -1% inventory has console like feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

PC or XBOX360 version....which would be better ye think ? I aint gonna buy it for both....but PC usually is my first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

SeantheMan wrote: »
    PC or XBOX360 version....which would be better ye think ? I aint gonna buy it for both....but PC usually is my first choice

If your going to use VATS a lot (as in 90% of the time) Xbox if your going for a mix then PC mouse will always beat a thumb stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Anyone spotted any offical word of it being available on Steam? There was mention of it from the devs in an interview last month, but I can't find anything more recent..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

will the gameplay be similar to that of stalker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No, from what I've seen/read its pretty close to Oblivion with guns.

Don't think there is any other game with gameplay close to the Stalker series.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

quarryman wrote: »

Apparently the new FarCry is quite like it. But better :p

• quarryman wrote: »

I'm hearing far cry 2 is a bit like stalker, a map with points of interest and missions. can't say much on oblivion with guns considering i never played oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm hearing far cry 2 is a bit like stalker, a map with points of interest and missions. can't say much on oblivion with guns considering i never played oblivion.

You have never played oblivion. Get your bags and leave......!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

You have never played oblivion. Get your bags and leave......!!!!!!

Strange you say that most people here seem to hate Oblivion. I for one enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but it was still an engrossing game.

If Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns (and if they improve on Oblivion's few but noticeable flaws) I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yeah Oblivion gets a lot of flak around here. I am still playing it and loving it. I think that when you offer a game that is so ambitious as Oblivion is then flaws are noticeable. The levelling system was crap, the performance (on the xbox360 anyway) was a little suspect but other than that it is a great achievement.

Might start another thread on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

For those debating between PS3 and 360 version:
    The latest issue of PSM3, the UK's first dedicated PlayStation 3 magazine, has an exclusive review of Bethesda's FallOut 3. The usual suspects has already posted scans of the article on the Internet, revealing that the editors of PSM3 admitted that "the PS3 version compares poorly to its Xbox [360] and PC counterparts."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The magazine has made a qualification to that on their website

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=199997

Thats whys I like PSM3-fairly honest and they are right-it wouldn't be enough to taint your enjoyment.

Advertisement