Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fallout 3

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    There was no SDK released with fallout (some cynics would point to this as an effort to force people into paying for DL content).

So, don't hold your breath for the mods to come flooding out.
    Oblivion had both DLC (the infamous "Horse Armour" - yeesh) and Mod tools & said tools didn't come out in conjunction with the release iirc. Besides, a number of mod tools for Oblivion are fan made, so I have faith. The Oblivion mod community is large, vocal & well respected by Bethesda so I expect the tools to appear eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Stev_o wrote: »
    Would you say the exact same for STALKER then?

Probably. Stalker was released full of bugs, after all.
    I would love nothing more than for Fallout 3 to be a staggeringly awesome game the day of its release. But I've seen enough games come out with flaws that could easily have been fixed before they went on sale that I just don't believe anything I read about a game anymore. Hell, I'll be skeptical at the RRP on the box these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There was no SDK released with fallout (some cynics would point to this as an effort to force people into paying for DL content).

So, don't hold your breath for the mods to come flooding out.
    There's an option for selecting which mods to start the game with in the launcher, so it's a safe bet there will be an SDK at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Peter Hines Interview

You could argue that since it is using the oblivion engine, the SDK could have been shipped with little fuss. The fact that there are no concrete details leads me to the "don't hold your breath" comment.

Yes, oblivion had both, but that doesn't mean they are not changing tack for this new release.

P.S. The oblivion SDK was released on the day of the games release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can't open the link in work.

I get what you're saying though and it is ****ty that it didn't ship with it, but I've no doubt that it'll arrive soon enough. Sure it gives us plenty of time to explore the game. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Peter Hines Interview

You could argue that since it is using the oblivion engine, the SDK could have been shipped with little fuss. The fact that there are no concrete details leads me to the "don't hold your breath" comment.

Yes, oblivion had both, but that doesn't mean they are not changing tack for this new release.

P.S. The oblivion SDK was released on the day of the games release.
    Indeed, but arguably as it is the exact same engine, in theory the same files, utilities etc will work from Oblivion to Fallout. In theory. I haven't done any research yet into the subject so couldn't say. It's not like Bethesda can play their cards that close to their chest.

And in fairness to Hines, all he said really was that it wasn't on their radar at the time & they were super busy. He dragged his heals, but nothing overtly negative. It's conjecture anyway, but this line says it all:
    If we have the time, we’d absolutely like to put them out.

I think it might just be my cynical nature :)

In fairness, from what I have read it doesnt sound like it needs any game-improving mods out of the box, and I enjoyed oblivion fine first time round without mods.

All I need to do now is figure how to get through work tomorrow with fallout mocking me on my desk :(

I think it might just be my cynical nature :)

In fairness, from what I have read it doesnt sound like it needs any game-improving mods out of the box, and I enjoyed oblivion fine first time round without mods.

All I need to do now is figure how to get through work tomorrow with fallout mocking me on my desk :(
    Well it's just funny you mention mods really, because it came up earlier today as I was reading a review from bit-tech, who specifically mentioned the console-oriented interface and how it was a fairly clunky affair for PC users. It then highlighted the Oblivion BTmod which went about fixing the crappy UI.

But hey, what of it. The important thing is... I'm still fecking waiting for my copy. Hurrrrrry up damnit
    *hops up and down*
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

L31mr0d wrote: »
    People should really be talking about the gameplay in Fallout 3 and not the people who got advance copies. There are plenty of piracy threads that can be necromanced if people want to explain why they think their particular line in the sand should be the de facto approach to piracy

Yup, agree. My copy from gamesnash was delivered today, spent about two hours playing it and so far I love what I see. Character creation was amazing, took what morrowind/oblivion did and took it to a whole new level, although I agree that it would be tedious to have to go through that multiple times. So far I havent seen much in the way of wit dialogue wise, but there are some nice "fallout" touches :
    the "SPECIAL" book, the G.O.A.T, the Church of Atom
    It took a little getting used to balancing the turn based and standard fps but I really like the camera work when you're in VATS. So far, so good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just ordered it on steam. No pre-download? or am I missing something. I ordered it assuming I could play it when I got home from work tomorrow but looks like I'll be gnashing my teeth watching a percentage indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No pre-load on steam unfortunately :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Oh well thank God for me 10MB download then. I can read the latest posts in here complaining about it while it downloads.

Heh, aye.

Thank god for working the entire weekend and not being able to get a chance to play it until tuesday.

Ohnowait.. ;_;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

dying to purchase this tomorrow. I had a good few concerns about the game but alot of the reviews and genral discussion on it have being postitive overall.

Dose anyone know the cheapest retail price for this game in dublin?. I went to game stop and their charging 60 euro follow by smyths where the game wasnt on display and the staff member did not no about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭Wossack

best bricks and mortar place to pick it up from in town, ya's reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Remember tesco are giving 25% off all games at the moment. I know where I'm picking my copy up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

how much would it work out at in tesco so for the ps3 version?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was going to avoid this for a while but since the reviews are so positive may give it a look. Although I might try and find the CE because that bobble-head is fantastic. If it ain't too expensive of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Does anyone know what the Limited Edition is like (not the collectors edition), perhaps a GAME employee has had a poke about the store room?

All I have to go by is a photoshopped box picture from the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'll be getting this sometime. I may have to get an Xbox 360 as my PC will need pimping to support it. I've looked forward to this since playing the second one a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

anyone picked it up at tesco today? how much was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

And is the 25% off only through tesco clubcard?

I'm in two minds. Bring farcry2 back and then get fallout in Xtravision or get it cheap in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

BArra wrote: »
    anyone picked it up at tesco today? how much was it?
    €45
    And is the 25% off only through tesco clubcard?
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Picked it up today for the PS3 in HMV. Priced at €49.99 (same for the 360) but I got 10% student dicsount so only ended up paying €45 for it. I just hope LBP costs around that! Stuck in the library at the mo so I won't get playing it for a while ;[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I can't remember but did somebody mention that there was a laggy mouse issue on the PC version?
    Or was that one of the other games released this week?
    So many games I can't keep up with the comments on them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭KilOit

I can't remember but did somebody mention that there was a laggy mouse issue on the PC version?
    Or was that one of the other games released this week?
    So many games I can't keep up with the comments on them all.

Yeah just disable vsyc from the properties on your graphics card, can't diable ingame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

KilOit wrote: »
    Yeah just disable vsyc from the properties on your graphics card, can't diable ingame

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The GOAT exam made me laugh

Anyone picked up the PC version yet? What price am I looking at in town/dundrum? Tempted to just get it for the xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

the collectors edition was only 50 euro on PC in gamestop henry st. Standard pc edition was 39.99. Collectors edition get! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭Wossack

got standard pc version in game dawson street (no collectors ed) for 49.99

Im being hampered by random crashes now sadly. Managed to get out of the vault then it just starts freezing at random points. Very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Stev_o wrote: »
    Im being hampered by random crashes now sadly. Managed to get out of the vault then it just starts freezing at random points. Very strange

PC or Xbox or PS3?

quarryman wrote: »
    PC or Xbox or PS3?

PC. Its a shame because i was loving the beginning of the game really set the tone well better then most games introductions. Now im stuck in Megaton =/

Got it in Game Dundrum, €39.99 on the PC for the standard version. Stumped up (stupidly) for the €49.99 one with the little BOS figurine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hey ! I passed my GOAT became a programmer and now spend my days running away from fire ants in Megaton... :)

Now I knew I was going to get this (kind of a gift from someone with connections) so I'm not at all disappointed that my PC isn't actually able to run the game properly (1.8Ghz, 2Gb RAM, GeForce 6800) but it does look good enough to force me to upgrade for the new year....

Damn you guys being able to play. I must wait patiently for a fix >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭KilOit

Only got to play for 30 mins and crashed twice, once in Vault 101 and second in Megaton, is this a sign of a very buggy game thats gonna cause me alot of ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Only got to play for 30 mins and crashed twice, once in Vault 101 and second in Megaton, is this a sign of a very buggy game thats gonna cause me alot of ****?

The joys of being a PC gamer eh?? :)

• Advertisement

People blaming secrom, others memory links others have pitchforks and are marching on bethesda you know the usual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well priced in town - 360 standard was only 50 in Game, Smyths and HMV (Gamestop prove to be the worst choice again at 50). Was gonna get the CE but it was 64.99, so said I'd hold off picking it up until I finish Fable. Unless its for cheap up in Tesco tonight.

Standard PC version €35 in Smyths so I am told. Made a mistake buying it on steam I think. Heading home now to an annoying wait while it downloads.

Seems to be a widespread problem about crashing when people enter small places eg houses etc Thats what seems to be the main reason for all these crashes so hopefully a patch will sort it out.

musician wrote: »
    Standard PC version €35 in Smyths so I am told. Made a mistake buying it on steam I think. Heading home now to an annoying wait while it downloads.

Let the soothing no-required-dvd-in-drive and auto-patching-magic tide you over these difficult few hours. You know it's worth it really.

<edit>It's available on steam now. Bring on the leech.</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Looking for a wee bit of advice here guys, I bought Far Cry 2 friday last and finished it. Great game, heaps of fun but I dont have live so I cant get into the multiplayer aspect of things. Should I trade it in for Fallout 3? I loved Fallout 1, didnt get into 2, and loved Morrowind and Oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Looking for a wee bit of advice here guys, I bought Far Cry 2 friday last and finished it. Great game, heaps of fun but I dont have live so I cant get into the multiplayer aspect of things. Should I trade it in for Fallout 3? I loved Fallout 1, didnt get into 2, and loved Morrowind and Oblivion.

I'd say go for it, if you've cleared it and enjoyed it why not put it towards some further entertainment? I'll be doing the same once I clear FC2 due to no xbox live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'd say go for it, if you've cleared it and enjoyed it why not put it towards some further entertainment? I'll be doing the same once I clear FC2 due to no xbox live

We of the no Live are a dying breed sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I was having that problem. I rolled back my nvida drivers from the beta ones. Haven't had any problems since, though it may be my imagination but my gpu fan seems to be spinning more to keep it cool during the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Is it any good lads?

In the middle of Fable 2 at the moment and im a little underwhelmed..

Moriarty wrote: »
    Let the soothing no-required-dvd-in-drive and auto-patching-magic tide you over these difficult few hours. You know it's worth it really.

<edit>It's available on steam now. Bring on the leech.</edit>

Yeah I think it's worth it in the end to have it in steam. Only downloading at a poxy 350Kb/sec atm though. Still I can stare at the lovely desktop shortcut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement