Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Fighting in NI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

your linkage is wrong dude...here's the right link:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0830/dogfighting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, heard about that, some GAA redneck, ~snip~ involved according to breakingnews.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would like to see them be on the receiving end of their "training"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jameshayes wrote:
    neacy69 wrote:
    your linkage is wrong dude...here's the right link:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0830/dogfighting.html

it's working for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

jameshayes wrote:
    it's working for me...

yeah it works but brings you to the wrong page. the link originally posted goes to some page about new apartments on an old PSNI site the link i posted goes to the dogfighting story....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Its been televised tonight on bbc1 at 9 (i think). Absolute shower of tossers, i still cant see how someone can stand there and watch that kind of crulety!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I hope the programme names and shames this GAA official and other's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mairt wrote:
    From what I heard on Radio1 earlier, he doesn't come out of it looking good. Touch wood prosecutions will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's on now..... I seriously hope custodial sentences result from it.
    Despicable crowd of low lifes. It was gut wrenching looking at the fight scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Im glad the fvckers were exposed.Hardmen until a camera was shoved in their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I saw it. What a bunch of wanker$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

i hope their dogs turn on them and rip their throats out. the poor dogs deserve a bit of fun in their cruel lives. scumbags. worse than murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Saw it too, it was horrific...

Stupid question tho, how dya tell the difference between a staffie and a pit bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Roarty-07

just watched that their tonite they are a load of scumbags that think they are hard men!!y dont they train themselves in boxing or something and get in the ring themselves oh no they are 2 pussy 4 dat so instead they make their dogs do it!!!it was 2 cruel 2 watch dem do dat to the poor dogs and they are giving pitbulls and staffies a bad name!!!

Roarty-07 wrote:
    just watched that their tonite they are a load of scumbags that think they are hard men!!y dont they train themselves in boxing or something and get in the ring themselves oh no they are 2 pussy 4 dat so instead they make their dogs do it!!!it was 2 cruel 2 watch dem do dat to the poor dogs and they are giving pitbulls and staffies a bad name!!!

Very true about the boxing etc.

One of our regular contributing members here just had the fight of his life this last weekend, he's one balls out gutsy fighter (I won't name him) but I'm sure he'd have some very strong view's opposing this sh*t.

I didn't see the programme as I was working but my other half tells me that it was grusome viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Schlemm wrote:
    Stupid question tho, how dya tell the difference between a staffie and a pit bull?

Not much, Staffie is a little smaller...

alexdenby6 wrote:
    the poor dogs deserve a bit of fun in their cruel lives. scumbags. worse than murderers.
    I'm presuming the dogs have to be pts after they were taken away?

Mairt wrote:
    Very true about the boxing etc.

One of our regular contributing members here just had the fight of his life this last weekend, he's one balls out gutsy fighter (I won't name him) but I'm sure he'd have some very strong view's opposing this sh*t.

I didn't see the programme as I was working but my other half tells me that it was grusome viewing.

Terrible stuff. The fights were horrible, they even had 10 month old pups pitted against each other.

(is BD a regular contributer here? Tell him I'm a fan if you know him)

I only caught the second show on at 10.30, it was horrible, was lying in bed with the girlfriend with mikey my little staffie on the floor beside the bed, it was horrible watching the pit fights, had to turn away a few times and its very unusual for me not to be able to watch something. What i thought should have stood up for most of the dogs esp on that wanker Dunkell's so called kennells was that even after they were "rolled" or had a fight or whatever they called it they still looked so playful towards people.
    E.g the dogs chained to the trees all over the place, when someone approched they were jumping with joy ang wagging there tails.

I'm not condoning dog fighting or anything that went on in that show but it was totaly anti pit bull aswell, not one mention that the dogs are fighting dog because they are reared to be.

I still cant get over how heartless those bastards were, that rodriguz fella "i've one chain space open now" after he killed that poor dog after the fight. People mention here that the dogs should be let loose on them, now what good is that??

Vinnie

P.s Anybody know if the first show is gonna be repeated??

Mairt wrote:
    One of our regular contributing members here just had the fight of his life this last weekend, he's one balls out gutsy fighter
    lightening wrote:

Sorry i had to laugh..........

burtCornlake....I dont think the programme was totally anti pit bull at all.On numerous ocassions it was pointed out that the dogs shown were being bred strictly to fight.It showed how approachable the dogs were to humans,as you saw yourself jumping,wagging tails,licking etc.There were plenty of shots where the dogs were being petted and carried,i thought they came across very well.I think the reaction here to it and on other forums shows that people have sympathy to all dogs and even the ones we saw last night that were bred for fighting.
    Its the fvckers that own and train them to be agressive that came out looking the way they should.

lightening wrote:
    Terrible stuff. The fights were horrible, they even had 10 month old pups pitted against each other.

No its not him. The guy is a mixed martial arts fighter (like the UFC cage fighting) and boxer.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote:

At what padi89?

The dogs were "human friendly" allright. I really don't know if they could be rehomed after what they have been through, someone like EGAR would know better. I would be a bit uncomfortable with one if I had kids.

padi89 wrote:

burtCornlake....I dont think the programme was totally anti pit bull at all.On numerous ocassions it was pointed out that the dogs shown were being bred strictly to fight.It showed how approachable the dogs were to humans,as you saw yourself jumping,wagging tails,licking etc.There were plenty of shots where the dogs were being petted and carried,i thought they came across very well.I think the reaction here to it and on other forums shows that people have sympathy to all dogs and even the ones we saw last night that were bred for fighting.
    Its the fvckers that own and train them to be agressive that came out looking the way they should.

Thats a fair point, but only people like ourselves would have seen that i think, most of the people that watched that show would have been of the opinion that all the bull terrier breed are dangerous to start with and i think that show would have only fueled there thoughts. The whole show portrayed bull terriers as been violent but not once did they say that they are that way because it was drilled into them from birth, as you seen the poor 10mth old pups in a pit. But thats what people want to see/hear/read so thats what the media will give them. Showing random attacks on kids in the UK even made me think for a second that they should be all banned until i slapped myself back in to reality. And a flashing image of a pit bull's skeleton with big gapping teeth every so often was just more propaganda.

But at the end of the day i will say fair play to the people that made the show and went undercover, it took great courage and willingness to do what they did and if it wasnt for them those **** would never have been caught.

The guy from the uspca said that they have been swamped with calls since the attack in liverpool at xmas about dog fighting and the likes, i just dont understand why it took a little girl to loose her life to make people call, why would they not call before that i'll never understand, its not like they wouldnt have noticed it before that!!

lightening wrote:
    At what padi89?

The dogs were "human friendly" allright. I really don't know if they could be rehomed after what they have been through, someone like EGAR would know better. I would be a bit uncomfortable with one if I had kids.

I think that padi was laughing at the Bernard Dunne comment.

No one mentioned about rehomeing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 delgany

Dear All

I don’t know how many of you saw the BBC1 Panorama programme about the Irish dogfighting ring last night (30.08.07)

The footage shown in the programme was horrific and one of the men featured who was involved in this cruelty and abuse was a Gaelic footballer, a popular sport. He has already been convicted and fined for keeping dangerous dogs and the footage showed him planning dog fights and discussing stealing a dog to use in a dog fight.

I have written a petition to ask the GAA, the Gaelic Football Association, to suspend this man from playing Gaelic Football. I do not believe that such a cruel man should be allowed to enjoy the privileged lifestyle that he does, and also feel strongly that he should not be allowed to continue in his position of role model in Ireland.

Please read the petition and sign it if you would like to show your support.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Cavlan/petition.html

If you would like to contact the GAA directly, their contact details are:

queries@gaa.ie
    pressoffice@gaa.ie

Dog fighting is not a sport – it is a cruel and horrific crime.

Please forward this email on to all your contacts.

Regards

Jane

Pretty much so ,i thought it was funny.:D

I dont think they were going to be rehomed,would be very hard to find a home for them.Too much liability unfortunatley, destroyed most likely,terrible life.

I agree burntCornlake maybe its my view on dogs that made me see it being not anti-pitbull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mairt wrote:

Player not Official
    Still a sick bastard though..apparently Michael Vick is only going to get a hefty fine but no jail time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Any dog that has been reared as a fighting dog is unsuitable for rehoming and will be put down.

padi89 wrote:
    Pretty much so ,i thought it was funny.:D

I dont think they were going to be rehomed,would be very hard to find a home for them.Too much liability unfortunatley, destroyed most likely,terrible life.

I agree burntCornlake maybe its my view on dogs that made me see it being not anti-pitbull.

I think there was some wires crossed there. With you 100% on that.

Its not entirely unlikely that Bernard Dunne would post here after all!

Hey Delgany,

Fair play on the petition!!

When you said "He has already been fined the sum of £650 (€960) after pleading guilty to possession of a dangerous dog, and banned for five years from keeping certain breeds".

I think the reporter then said that on appeal the ban from owning dogs was overturned, so all he really got was a fine for less then a grand(euro). Great to be popular eh??

I wonder what he'll get with the evidence from last night though??

Vinnie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The dogs confiscated due to the program are pts'd as they are illegal in NI and the UK. No dogs got confiscated in Finland if the Finnish board can be believed. I have taking in many ex-fighting dogs over the years, and yes, I do rehome them after extensive work with them. None of them have failed in being a loyal pet dog in their new forever homes. Punish the Deed not the Breed

Advertisement