Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something for the weekend...

Options
  • 30-08-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm toying around with the idea of buying a cheap but sporty cabriolet as a weekend car. I probably won't get to do it for a few months, maybe next summer but I've started looking around anyway.

The challenge: find me a sporty convertible car that is fun to drive and relatively easy to maintain for less than €7,000.

I really like the old E30 cabriolet and the Mk 1 Golf Gti cabriolet but I would consider a MX5 1.8 and I don't mind importing from the UK.

Cheers!

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Donie75 wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm toying around with the idea of buying a cheap but sporty cabriolet as a weekend car. I probably won't get to do it for a few months, maybe next summer but I've started looking around anyway.

The challenge: find me a sporty convertible car that is fun to drive and relatively easy to maintain for less than €7,000.

I really like the old E30 cabriolet and the Mk 1 Golf Gti cabriolet but I would consider a MX5 1.8 and I don't mind importing from the UK.

Cheers!

D

My vote would be for the MX5 any day.

But it will be cheaper to buy in the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

MX-5 all the way. They're a hoot to drive. Best option in my opinion - as long as you can handle the 'hairdresser car' jibes from certain folk. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

I had an MX5 for a while and it was really fun, very very reliable too. Buy at the right price in the winter, and sell in the summer and you wont suffer any depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

MX5 pref - 1800 pref the i.s. model, its got a lsd which adds a bit to the fun, abs and an airbag too. my old 97 one was on carzone up till recently - you'll buy that for your money.

You could also consider a Lotus Elan - not sure if you'd get it in budget.

Both are born drop tops so they are much stiffer - I find my e46 a bit flexi compared to the MX5 and it could get annoying - (try driving a Saab 93 conv to see what I mean.)

The golf put alot of weight on when the roof was chopped off and it took some of the edge of it.

You'd pick up a nice E30 325i maybe in uk but I'd still recommend the MX5 ahead of it.

Buy in winter sell in summer. If buying an MX5 ex UK watch for rust and try pick up a new hood on yer way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MX5, no contest. We have our '90 1.6 for about 8 years. I'm still awaiting it's first trip to the garage. (there are those facetious enough to say it's awaiting it's first wash as well.....LOL )

Light, nice to drive, fun, peanuts to run.

Put it this way, whilst I've owned this car, I've been through 2 x TT's, 1 x 911, 1 x E200. All the others are gone, the '5 is still here, no competition.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Get a black one! Nice wheels, and there's the efini kit that's available to manly it up a bit if you're worried about the image!
    (notice I skipped the "which one?" bit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hope you have somewhere indoors to keep it? I have had cars that were "weekend" cars sitting in driveays outdoors while idle. It does them no good. So if you can garage it.
    I would go for the mx5 too despite me still missing my e30! It will probably be more fun & reliable than the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

How about a kit car? They can be fairly cheap, will be quite different and when something goes wrong, it is usually easier to fix than with more ordinary cars as they rarely have advanced electronics to worry about. For about 10k you can get a 7-a-like that'll do 0-60 in about 5.5s, handle like it's on rails, and get more attention (especially from kids) than a brand new Ferrari or Lamborghini. Oh, and people won't think that you're a hardresser ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I have an E30 conv as a second car and love it to bits. It gets a lot of admirers and its a rare day that you meet another convertible one coming against you on the road. Looks good top down or up. the hood disappears behind a flat cover behind the back seats, very clean design.

Go for a six cylinder, 318s are a little under powered I'm told, plenty of torque in a 2.5. Good low milers can be got in the UK, I'd say most of the ones in Ireland came from the Uk, cant imagine too many being sold here new in the late 80's or early 90's.

Advertisement