Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat dilemma

Options
  • 30-08-2007 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hey, just looking for some opinions on this. Over the last couple of months we've had a female cat basically living in our back garden. She's in good condition and is very friendly, so we thought she probably had a home but strayed and got lost. We've posted ads in local bulletins, noticeboards, etc but no response.

Now we're thinking of adopting her as our own, bringing her to the vet to get checked out, etc. However we already have a six year old cat (also female) and they really dont like each other. Our cat hasn't taken too kindly to the new cat invading her patch. She's become very detatched, and often fights with the other cat.

I dont really know what to do. I don't want to send our 'new' cat to a shelter, she's such a lovely little thing. But can we keep her when our own cat is reacting badly to her?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

susanna wrote:
    Our cat hasn't taken too kindly to the new cat invading her patch. She's become very detatched, and often fights with the other cat.

I had this problem with 2 dogs. I know it's COMPLETLY different but everything is worth a try...

We took the 2 dogs to a completely neutral ground, somewhere either of them have ever been before... and introduce them again, hope that they play and make friends.. you may have to do this 2/3 times before you have success then you can take the home and pray for good behavior....

Again, cats and dogs have different personalities so i could be completely wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A bit more difficult with cats.

Our three are all strays that "accumulated" over time. But they all showed up as kittens and got integrated with the residents fairly quickly and trouble free.

In case of your "old" cat versus the "new" cat, they've probably been sizing each other up for months and probably also had the odd fight before you even knew that the "new" cat was in the area.

Cats are very territorial ...bringing a newcomer in under supervision and in one swift move is one thing ...trying to get two cats that have been spitting at each other for weeks/months to get along is alltogether different ...in my opinion actually impossible.

Unless you're present 24 hours and can supervise them at all times, I would not recommend leaving these two together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never really had experience of this.

We have two but the younger one was introduced to the other "out of the blue" when the former was a kitten. After a period of our older cat getting p*ssed off with the playing, they made peace.

You should distinguish between fighting and fighting though. Our cats still fight sometimes because one is older and the other is an eternal kitten, always teasing her. The fighting isn't serious and they still occasionally play together and share a cat house.

Like peasant said, cats are pretty territorial, even queens. if the cats have previous, with the newer guy invading your cats territory; you should keep an eye that the fighting doesn't get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Maybe you could try introducing the new cat in a way that doesn't threaten your own cat's sense of territory? For eg. keep the new cat's feeding bowls and bed in a more distant location, and limiting its access to certain parts of the house. That way your own cat might feel more secure that it is still Queen Bee and has certain areas that are just for her alone. It would mean investing a lot of time in supervision though, so that might not be feasible!

How badly are they fighting? Is it just a bit of swatting or does it look like damage might be done?

I think if it was me, I'd try the gradual approach but if the fights got bad, or the first cat started acting distressed, I'd give up and try to rehome the second one. No harm taking the stray to the vet anyway and getting her spayed/neutered (can never remember which applies to girls or boys!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Well they're not fighting badly, mostly they just sit at opposite ends of the garden and glare at each other, or our cat will chase the new one away. They give each other the odd scratch but nothing serious. The new cat is only allowed in the kitchen whereas the other one goes pretty much anywhere around the house.

I think I'll give it another few weeks and see how it goes. I dont think our cat will ever like the new one but I'm sure she can live with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Instead of bringing her to a shelter, couldn't you see if anyone on the boards could offer her a home?
    And whether you decide to rehome her or keep her, make sure to get her neutered if she's not already

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Tweeter

susanna wrote:
    I dont think our cat will ever like the new one but I'm sure she can live with it

Exactly, and this would be the worst case scenario.
    Let them fight, and whatever you do no matter how distressing it is whilst happening don't attempt to separate them during a fight.
    The biggest problem with integrating cats is that people are too quick to intervene and this sets the process back each time.
    When they realise that they're both there to stay and one or the other is not going away they will give up fighting and learn to tolerate each other and more often than not will end up actually getting along with each other.

Don't give up hope, the fighting will soon ease off and go away, give it some more time and you'll be rewarded no question,

regards,
    Tweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tweeter wrote:
    Let them fight, and whatever you do no matter how distressing it is whilst happening don't attempt to separate them during a fight.
    The biggest problem with integrating cats is that people are too quick to intervene and this sets the process back each time.

I'm by no means a cat behavioral expert, but I think that advice is highly dodgy.

As I said before, it's one thing if you introduce two total strangers to each other (even then fights can get serious) but with two cats that have (or may have) a history of fighting each other over territory outside and are now confined together to a room, such a fight may get to a point where serious harm is done.

There are two stray toms that come around every now and then and beat up our three cats quite severely if they're not in the door quickly enough ...I would NEVER EVER lock them and ours into the same room ...there'd be at least one dead cat in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

Wild cats would hav a hieriarcy. You been the owner/caregiver would be the alpha with your cat subservate to you , although sometimes it seems like the other way. Introducing another cat to your house can be done but the two cats will hav to come to an "agreement" about their relative positions in the group.

I myself have two cats one of which was a stray tom cat that I took in 2 years after the other one. They "somewhat" get on as there is always the odd claw from her into his face and a look of disapproval to me.:)

Then had another stray tom arrive which, like you I couldn't find its owners, so I rang up the DSPCA who rehomed him.

So my advice woud be either give them a ring or build a little house out your back for the stary cat, a small dog kennel or rabbit hutch might do, and allow for a steady and slow intorduction of the cat to your home.

As for allowing them to "fight it out" I would disagree. You are the alpha cat as far as they are concerned so you should execise your authority by stopping any fighting that goes on between them and letting them know that it will not be tolarated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

susanna wrote:
    mostly they just sit at opposite ends of the garden and glare at each other, or our cat will chase the new one away.
    I had a similar situation. When my tom cat (very placid) was about seven we acquired another cat, a female stray who just showed up to hang around the garden. He would often chase her away or they'd play fight (just pawing each other etc) Over time they just tolerated each other, but I think it's because they both have clear boundaries.
    She's still a very 'outdoors' cat.. she never sleeps in the house at night (she has a bed in the garden shed), spends a lot of the day outside and mostly gets fed outdoors (in the shed) since my tom is on a special diet and it'd be disasterous if they shared food! :eek:
    He's the opposite. He has his bed indoors, gets fed in the sitting room and sleeps in my room at night.
    I think because of this they both know where the boundaries between them are. Cats get very stressed when another cat is introduced so make sure they don't share a dish, litter tray etc.

My cat used to run a mile when the female would invade his space by jumping up on the bed where he sleeps but over the years he stays put so they curl up together, especially if it's cold! But be warned it'll be a slow process.. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement