Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Brian,

That's all well and good and you are quite right in what you say but in reality students will sell their manuals to other students and although it may be legally unsound in respect of copyright I cant imagine GCD as an entity being able to take any effective action against individual students choosing to sell on their manuals.

I see little point in you making such statements and while I sympathise to some extent with you and appreciate entirely where you are coming from it serves little purpose. Such a market will always exist for such materials especially when an individual subject is costing €400 and it's not going to go away any time soon. For the record I am a GCD grad albeit before your goodself came to take the reins and its law programmes are excellent but expensive, hence this black market.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Strictly

I was in contact with the FE1 Direct people and they said that due to the economic conditions/climate they thought that there would not be sufficient numbers for their course and decided earlier on in the year not to run the course this year but you can still get their manuals by contacting their web site. They may decide to run the course again next year as I believe lots of people were interested in doing their course in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

McCrack wrote: »
    Brian,

That's all well and good and you are quite right in what you say but in reality students will sell their manuals to other students and although it may be legally unsound in respect of copyright I cant imagine GCD as an entity being able to take any effective action against individual students choosing to sell on their manuals.

I see little point in you making such statements and while I sympathise to some extent with you and appreciate entirely where you are coming from it serves little purpose. Such a market will always exist for such materials especially when an individual subject is costing €400 and it's not going to go away any time soon. For the record I am a GCD grad albeit before your goodself came to take the reins and its law programmes are excellent but expensive, hence this black market.

I think what he is refering to are the print outs of the manuals. Griffith allow their students to print out PDF's of the manuals and this is what people are selling. AFAIK its ok to seel your hard copy manual but its illegal (against copyright and licensing laws) to sell the print outs which are licensed for the students use only

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

McCrack wrote: »
    Brian,

Ok, and granted.

But if you read my post and think about copyright law, you might see the difference between what you refer to - i.e. selling manuals simpliciter (which appears akin to selling on a second hand book) and photocopying entire manuals, retaining the original and selling the copies and/or ripping video files or audio from video etc and seeking to re-sell them en masse. I think I was reasonably clear in the earlier post (see e.g. the word COPIES in capitals) that I was not referring to precisely what you refer to - selling manuals simpliciter.

There is a world of difference between selling manuals and pirating manuals, and its the latter I'm surprised to see being "offered" so openly in what is, essentially, a very traceable way, but I don't want to drone on about this and annoy everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mar_10

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Are they even running anymore ?

I rang to find out about them a couple of times, as well as emailed them, and heard nothing back whatsoever.

No there not doing them anymore. i was speaking to them and there not getting the numbers that they used to so they decided to stop it altogether. i signed up for Independent in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Paulywalnuts

Ok, and granted.

But if you read my post and think about copyright law, you might see the difference between what you refer to - i.e. selling manuals simpliciter (which appears akin to selling on a second hand book) and photocopying entire manuals, retaining the original and selling the copies and/or ripping video files or audio from video etc and seeking to re-sell them en masse. I think I was reasonably clear in the earlier post (see e.g. the word COPIES in capitals) that I was not referring to precisely what you refer to - selling manuals simpliciter.

There is a world of difference between selling manuals and pirating manuals, and its the latter I'm surprised to see being "offered" so openly in what is, essentially, a very traceable way, but I don't want to drone on about this and annoy everyone...

Of course there will be such a Market & at times it's very handy!but this idea of selling a photocopied manual for top dollar whilst retaining the original is low & definitely infringes Irish copyright law..if your gona do such a thing,charge a reasonable price & don't be so hungry..or better still,stop advertising it on here before you get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mal Practice

Hi, Paul here,i have the most recent griffith manuals for equity & contract 2009/10,both come with past papers/exam reports, both are virtually new, used for one sitting, i'll sell them for 60eur each or swap either for MOST RECENT! EU/TORT manuals, griffith or independent, doesnt matter, pm if you wana sort something, ta.

Hi Paul

I'd be interested in your Equity Manual if you still have it.
    Can you let me know??

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

Hi Paul

Can you let me know??

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Paul1979 wrote: »
    aaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Hi Paul,afraid I sold it last week,don't suppose you have a recent post Lisbon eu manual?!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

I'm not lookin for a manual Paul, I was trying to illustrate my frustration at people posting manuals for sale, there has been countless posts asking to stop people posting in here, there is a seperate thread for this, this thread is for fe1 discussion!!!

Maybe moderators could put something in the titla asking people not to post for sale ads in here

• Advertisement

Hi Paul

Can you let me know??

Sorry Paul,sold it last week,thers a thread for fe 1 manuals,you better go ther cuz 1979 is having a canary..!haha,ah no it is frustrating..frustratingly funny!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lucilou

I think its hard situation to regulate the whole issuing of manuals etc.I understand totally how people can not afford to take GCD courses and therefore resort to buying second hand manuals but thats exaclty what they should get SECOND HAND not photocopied to death poor quality manuals....Clearly an infringement of Copyright Law....

On the other hand GCD need to protect their interests financially and safeguards needs to be put in place to prevent theses fraudsters from corrupting the system ...If people are that desperate go to a library!!!

PS i have no vested interest in GCD !!!

lucilou wrote: »
    I think its hard situation to regulate the whole issuing of manuals etc.I understand totally how people can not afford to take GCD courses and therefore resort to buying second hand manuals but thats exaclty what they should get SECOND HAND not photocopied to death poor quality manuals....Clearly an infringement of Copyright Law....

On the other hand GCD need to protect their interests financially and safeguards needs to be put in place to prevent theses fraudsters from corrupting the system ...If people are that desperate go to a library!!!

PS i have no vested interest in GCD !!!

Couldn't agree more,I think prospective students should be more demanding,mean there's been mail sent to me,& not to be sexist here,but mostly from greedy females!!legally blonde?!.. offering to sell me photocopies of recent fe manuals for 60euros,with the proviso that ther not yet finished with the manual,mean say thers 200 pages in a manual,maybe 300,most you'd pay to do that would be a tenner,it's 50 euro for the labour..!greed is a terrible trait..anyhow,copyrighters ..have some damn integrity,purchaser..caveat emptor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Mods, is there any way that we could please start a new FE1 thread where the discussion of selling and trading books and manuals and other inane tripe results in a ban?

There is a separate thread devoted to just that and it seems the whole purpose of this thread has been diluted by hungry mo-fos wanting to make a buck while very few posts actually relate to anything FE1 related. It's a great idea for a thread but it has now completely lost the run of itself.....

What say you?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Mods, is there any way that we could please start a new FE1 thread where the discussion of selling and trading books and manuals and other inane tripe results in a ban?

There is a separate thread devoted to just that and it seems the whole purpose of this thread has been diluted by hungry mo-fos wanting to make a buck while very few posts actually relate to anything FE1 related. It's a great idea for a thread but it has now completely lost the run of itself.....

What say you?

I tend to agree with this. The problem is that the hungry ones are not really ethical. Might see if we can modify the charter to ban or force people away to some other place.

EDIT: I note this already infringes the Charter.

Bans coming for those who continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hazzahhhhhh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Doing Constitutional Law for first time. Initially it seemed straightforward enough but now I'm all over the place. It seems to be a very vast topic and as I'm not doing GCD or anything similar I have no idea where to start.

Can anyone tell me what are the key areas/topics? I'm not looking to cut anything out, just need to have some sort of framework in mind to get me started.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Im about to start studying EU and i am not sure what changes have been effected after Lisbon. I intend going to the day revision course in GCD but i dont know where to start now. Can anyone direct me to a website/book that deals with the changes. I have a manual but i dont know how much of it is obsolete now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Im well into studying for company, a subject i have dreading and im finding it surprisingly easy going. I have gone through the past exam papers and they seem straightforward enough also. Are they marked particularly hard? Is it generally a difficult or moderate/easy subject to pass?

• Advertisement

Horndawg wrote: »
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Doing Constitutional Law for first time. Initially it seemed straightforward enough but now I'm all over the place. It seems to be a very vast topic and as I'm not doing GCD or anything similar I have no idea where to start.

Can anyone tell me what are the key areas/topics? I'm not looking to cut anything out, just need to have some sort of framework in mind to get me started.

Thanks.

Search back in the thread...there are some posts which will give you a good start on this query.

Search back in the thread...there are some posts which will give you a good start on this query.

Ok thanks Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 layzee

page1 wrote: »
    Im well into studying for company, a subject i have dreading and im finding it surprisingly easy going. I have gone through the past exam papers and they seem straightforward enough also. Are they marked particularly hard? Is it generally a difficult or moderate/easy subject to pass?

I think company is definitely one of the easier exams to pass if you can get to grips with it...even when the exam has seemed difficult in comparison with other years students still manage to surprise themselves by pulling off good marks. The questions are generally quite standard - for me it was one subject I didn't make out any of my own notes for, literally just underlined my manual and learned it like that and got 69% without any of the grief that some other subjects gave me! Keep up the hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 littlebubble

page1 wrote: »
    Im about to start studying EU and i am not sure what changes have been effected after Lisbon. I intend going to the day revision course in GCD but i dont know where to start now. Can anyone direct me to a website/book that deals with the changes. I have a manual but i dont know how much of it is obsolete now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, I sat Eu in March just gone and for us it was mainly the article numbers that have changed, and the European Parliament getting more powers in order to balance the 'democratic deficit'. Get your hands on Blackstone's Eu treaties & Leg 2010 anyways as all the changes have been noted in there.

I also did the gcd preparatory course for Eu law and I found their manual quite good (however you would need their most up-to-date one as I know in the middle of the last course when Lisbon came into force our manuals had to be discarded and replaced with newer versions 'post-lisbon'). I'd say you may find it hard to find an ideal published book 'Post-Lisbon' for the exams as the treaty only came into force a few months ago. Maybe there is one though. hope this helps!

layzee wrote: »
    I think company is definitely one of the easier exams to pass if you can get to grips with it...even when the exam has seemed difficult in comparison with other years students still manage to surprise themselves by pulling off good marks. The questions are generally quite standard - for me it was one subject I didn't make out any of my own notes for, literally just underlined my manual and learned it like that and got 69% without any of the grief that some other subjects gave me! Keep up the hard work!

hey, I agree with layzee! I hated company in college but did quite well in the Fe1 exam then, I think a lot were shocked as they came out with higher results than they thought! so ya I definately think it's one of the less daunting ones. It's certainly long, but once you've it understood it's grand!

tombren wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am doing the property exam in October and im panicing a bit about it! I have a 2009/2010 manual which makes reference to the Act which at the time wasnt in place. I was wondering can anyone advise as to how big of an effect the 2009 Act has had on the course. Also i know there is another thread for notes but if anyway has notes on what exactly is needed for exam as per 2009 Act i would be willing to buy them.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I sat Property there just in March! In that exam we were shocked at how little the 2009 Act was actually asked! (As far as I remember I think I mentioned it in a judgement mortgages short answer question and that was about it!) Maybe it might be different for ye this time around though. If you purchase a copy of the Act it has a fantastic explanatory guide at the back of it going through each section of the Act. you know things like fee tail and feudal tenure are gone now! woohoo :)

Ok tried every combination I could think of in the search engine to get an answer to my original post about Constitutional but can't find anything other than the usual offers to sell manuals or people from as far back as 2006 saying they're freaking out about the exam the following morning.

So seeing as this thread has been going for a few years and alot of the questions have been asked before but still get answers, could someone indulge me and offer some advice please?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Horndawg wrote: »
    Ok tried every combination I could think of in the search engine to get an answer to my original post about Constitutional but can't find anything other than the usual offers to sell manuals or people from as far back as 2006 saying they're freaking out about the exam the following morning.

So seeing as this thread has been going for a few years and alot of the questions have been asked before but still get answers, could someone indulge me and offer some advice please?

Many thanks.

Found these in less than a minute... use the thread search, not the site search

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64755770&postcount=2227

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63979182&postcount=2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 John_2000

Got a letter off the law society in the post this morning so was sure it's the appeal results but no its a letter advertising their training contract cv and cover letter workshop. I have 7 out of 8 passed and I'm waiting on an appeal of my final fe1.... aaagh, how long can it take to recheck a paper?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mirwin

John_2000 wrote: »
    Got a letter off the law society in the post this morning so was sure it's the appeal results but no its a letter advertising their training contract cv and cover letter workshop. I have 7 out of 8 passed and I'm waiting on an appeal of my final fe1.... aaagh, how long can it take to recheck a paper?!

Tell me about it! Im in the same position as you. I have 7 passed also and awaiting re-check results for EU... fingers crossed!!! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement