Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

law86 wrote: »
    Hi ananas, I'm doing EU, Constitutional, Equity, Contract and Tort. Making out notes for the ones which aren't fresh in my head, fine-tuning notes from the ones I just took in my final year of the LLB. Tis a mahoooosive pain in the bum, but I'm convinced that they are doable if you can organise your mind and your notes properly (this is as much a motivational speech to myself as it is to you!).

Couple of standard pieces of advice I keep in my head and that I'm sure you've heard a thousand times:

Have a very broad, but not necessarily a deep knowledge of the subjects.

Don't think about the enormity of it, think of it as a series of building blocks, chapter by chapter.

Avail of the homework option with whichever college you are using, you don't have to submit on the week that it is set and the feedback is brilliant.

Eleven weeks to go, chopchop. Less chitchat, more vroomvroom as a French chef I used to work with was fond of saying (very entertaining in a french accent with accompanying hand gestures).

Like I say this is a speech to myself as well as to you.
    Very best of luck to you.

Your ideas fascinate me and I wish to subscribe to you newsletter :D Seriously though, well said I need to get the finger out and stop whinging!
    Thanks for all the help, you're a gem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Same goes. Tomorrow is a brand new day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mal Practice

ananas wrote: »
    Hi guys, I really need some motivation!! I'm absolutely panicking that I haven't left myself enough time- I've started the griffith course online, but I haven't really started making out notes yet. I just need some motivation from people who have done it in a shorter amount of time and passed them. I'm finding it so hard to not feel overwhelmed by the amount of work required.:(

Any motiviational speeches are mucho appreciated :)

Gave myself five weeks - including the time between exams. Sat five papers, passed four (Constitutional, Company, Property, Criminal), but failed Equity. If you are prepared to do 12 hours a day you'll be just fine. Take a chill pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

All i can say is - OMG how on earth am i going to remember the names.
    Do i have to give the full citation like
    Case C-376/98 Germany V European Parliment and Council
    PLEASE SAY NO - though i have a feeling what the answer will be.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

page1 wrote: »
    All i can say is - OMG how on earth am i going to remember the names.
    Do i have to give the full citation like
    Case C-376/98 Germany V European Parliment and Council
    PLEASE SAY NO - though i have a feeling what the answer will be.:eek:

Just the name of the case is required, not the case number. That is what I have always been told anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Gave myself five weeks - including the time between exams. Sat five papers, passed four (Constitutional, Company, Property, Criminal), but failed Equity. If you are prepared to do 12 hours a day you'll be just fine. Take a chill pill.

You must be very clever and very organised but for the rest of us mere mortals, I'd say get cracking as soon as you can, especially if you're already feeling overwhelmed.

law86 wrote: »
    You must be very clever and very organised but for the rest of us mere mortals, I'd say get cracking as soon as you can, especially if you're already feeling overwhelmed.

And unfortunately many of us mere mortals wouldnt get anywhere near 12 hours free time to study a day unless we decided not to sleep anymore.

Ruby83 thanks for the reply, i know in all other subjects the case name was sufficient, but i think i read in one of the examiner reports that he was unhappy about people not citing cases properly.
    I have only just started studying it but as far as i can see they will be many cases like Commission v Italy and you would need the case number to distinguish - or will a brief summary of the facts etc suffice?

page1 wrote: »
    And unfortunately many of us mere mortals wouldnt get anywhere near 12 hours free time to study a day unless we decided not to sleep anymore.

Ruby83 thanks for the reply, i know in all other subjects the case name was sufficient, but i think i read in one of the examiner reports that he was unhappy about people not citing cases properly.
    I have only just started studying it but as far as i can see they will be many cases like Commission v Italy and you would need the case number to distinguish - or will a brief summary of the facts etc suffice?

Surely we can't be expected to learn the citation for each case though!! If anyone else who has done EU did so, please let us know!

Ruby83 wrote: »
    Surely we can't be expected to learn the citation for each case though!! If anyone else who has done EU did so, please let us know!

My panicked thoughts exactly. I have searched back through the examiners reports and i can find the comment so maybe i dreamt it??:confused:

Im finding it hard enought to remember the directive numbers in the cases let alond the case number as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

God no you don't need the Citations. I don't know of anyone that used them anyway and everyone I know did fine.

• Advertisement

What are peoples thoughts on leaving out landlord and tenant law from property? I'm intending to do it but it is a pretty big chapter and doesn't come up on every exam (though it wasn't on the last one so probable this time round and there can be a section in the three part question as well).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

What are peoples thoughts on leaving out landlord and tenant law from property? I'm intending to do it but it is a pretty big chapter and doesn't come up on every exam (though it wasn't on the last one so probable this time round and there can be a section in the three part question as well).

I'm going to leave it out and concentrate on the other topics. It's faaar too big and even though it didn't come up in the last session and it might come up this time, I'm not doing it. I know that people usually leave it out because it's too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 liam2716

hi guys,

yea think i will leave that topic out.

anyone any idea where to get the changes made by the land 2009 act in relation ti the sylabus -all the law sco will tell me is that "the act is examinable"...others telll me that some of the main bits are still unexaminable.....

for example, os there any pint doing the history short questions any more - a recent examiners reprt clearly stats that these are abolished! and they dont seem 2 appear on the 2010 paper!

im using the 2009 indep winter manual........neither can i see any info in the manual in relational to cohabitation or treasure trove or profit a predre??!!

thanks guys!

liam2716 wrote: »
    hi guys,

yea think i will leave that topic out.

anyone any idea where to get the changes made by the land 2009 act in relation ti the sylabus -all the law sco will tell me is that "the act is examinable"...others telll me that some of the main bits are still unexaminable.....

Hi Liam2716..in relation to your LCLRA 2009 query, if you get the explanatory memorandum for the act, this is really helpful and states all of the changes and the reasons. I find this very good. Here is the link: http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/eAct/2009/a2709.pdf
    Some of it obviously is not relevant to the property syllabus but alot of it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mbee

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on the Griffith one day revision courses for the upcoming FE-1s. Had a look on their website but found nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 liam2716

thanks ruby83...... printed it just there! shoudl have thought of that!

mbee......say that myself earlier, they have dates up for th older one...i would imagine that they will update it sonn fo rthe september sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

I personally wouldnt leave out Landlord and tenant, just because I think its very easy compared to some of the other topics and if it wasn't up last time it nearly definetly will be up in some shape or form this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

mbee wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on the Griffith one day revision courses for the upcoming FE-1s. Had a look on their website but found nothing.

Hi,

The entire gcd.ie domain got a make-over there, and it seems its playing havoc with some of the pro-law pages. There was information up and I'll see what the deal is with them going back up. The one day courses will be going ahead, and timetables are being finalised right now actually.

Regards

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Hi Liam2716..in relation to your LCLRA 2009 query, if you get the explanatory memorandum for the act, this is really helpful and states all of the changes and the reasons. I find this very good. Here is the link: http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/eAct/2009/a2709.pdf
    Some of it obviously is not relevant to the property syllabus but alot of it is.

Maddox's commentary is pretty good too and on sale at the minute from Round Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lm_102

I am thinking of doing the FE1s in September. I have a BCL from UCC just finished there and I have all the current notes that 1st and 2nd years got this year. My question is are these enough? Do I really have to go and do another course or buy manuals and handbooks? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 karlpilkington

Hey all I was due to sit EU, Crim, Const and Contract last March but missed them due to death in the family, If anyone has copies of the march exam papers in these subjects I'd be very grateful.

lm_102 wrote: »
    I am thinking of doing the FE1s in September. I have a BCL from UCC just finished there and I have all the current notes that 1st and 2nd years got this year. My question is are these enough? Do I really have to go and do another course or buy manuals and handbooks? :)

I'd get the manuals if I were you and study yourself from them. It just makes life that bit easier and the undergrad notes I had were just not enough for the FE1s and the syllabus would be different as well. If you had time and alot of enthusiasm to make up your own notes then fair play but time is pressing on to the next round of exams!
    There's a thread on the legal forum with ppl selling manuals and they're not too expensive.
    Saying that, the Griffith course is v good too but ur probably a bit late for that given that it started at the beginning of June. They do one day revision courses as well closer to the exam. I haven't done those but will be taking one this year in Constitutional so I don't know how good they are. If they're anything like the courses though, I think they're worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 littlebubble

Hey all I was due to sit EU, Crim, Const and Contract last March but missed them due to death in the family, If anyone has copies of the march exam papers in these subjects I'd be very grateful.

Hi there, I can help you out with one of these, Eu! I sat it myself in March, however it's a bit written on (when i was in the exam like!), but if you want it I can forward it onto you no prob!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hey guys starting to feel the strain now as I attempt my second batch of these exams (only doing three this time so not too bad). In regards to EU law, some people have advised me to ignore Competition Law as the time and effort involved in studying it is not worth the one question it appears on in every exam paper. Is this an advisable course of action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 littlebubble

Hey guys starting to feel the strain now as I attempt my second batch of these exams (only doing three this time so not too bad). In regards to EU law, some people have advised me to ignore Competition Law as the time and effort involved in studying it is not worth the one question it appears on in every exam paper. Is this an advisable course of action?

yup that's what we were advised too! I also left it out (sat Eu on the last sitting) and was still able to answer 6 questions on the paper. what I'd advise you to do is if you decide to do this you better make sure you've practically everything else covered! especially all of the Eu institutions & sources, gender equality and the 4 freedoms as they're guaranteed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

had the unfortunate pleasure of having to pass EU twice. I thought competition was by the far the easiest and most straightforward topic to study. ART 81 and 82 (not sure if lisbon changed these) are quite long but a guaranteed question that doesn't come up in too complicated a way.

the cases are pretty easy to remember and structured aswell IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

posted this to the other thread..would be more relevant here!!was thinking of doing the first batch of fe1s in sept october but havnt started studying yet..ive just finished the llb would I be under serious pressure if I just started now?? also ive all college notes but would I need to get the manuals?any advice would be grateful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

jibber5000, I'm studying for my first FE1s and having made a bit of a false start in May for a few weeks, I'm only getting into it properly again now. I'd say from what I see of it, you're not too late to start but you'd want to be seriously dedicated from now on. The fact you did the LLB so recently should mean the concepts are fresh in your head. If you haven't got them already, get manuals and past exam papers as soon as you can and get going. I'm not finding it half as bad as I thought it would be, so far at least, so don't psyche yourself out! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sarahaw

I'll be sitting criminal contract equity constitutional and company in sept/oct for the first time. I had serious trouble getting motivated to start studying but i'm SLOWLY starting to get into the swing of it now!!

Is anyone else worried by the fact that it seems necessary to cover practically the entire course for each subject? I am finding the sheer volume of material very daunting!!

I'd be really interested to hear how people are preparing for these exams...I just used to write essays for college exams and learn them but that is definitely not possible for the FE1's. Is it just a case of writing bullet point notes on practically every topic or is simply underlining the manuals and learning from there the way to go??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 susanstanley

I am a solicitor and I earn very little money and have huge resposibility, massive stress, and no job security. Don't waste your time and money doing FE1s, take it from me. All of my colleagues regret getting into this awful profession, there are easier less stressful ways of not making a living.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement