Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Ruby83 wrote: »
    I used to do the same..rewrite practically word for word the manuals..it got ridiculous and I actually didnt even end up using the notes for the last round of exams. Had convinced myself that if I didn't rewrite, then I wouldnt be able to remember anything. I was so pressed for time in the last round that I ended up just studying directly from the manuals and highlighting the cases and the headings. I read the chapter or if its big like directors duties I take it in sections (i.e. Model Reg 80, then Types of Directors etc), then I close the book and see what I remember from my first reading by testing myself, then I go back and re-read the section and test myself again. It usually starts coming together after a few reads and I think the key is understanding. I seem to remember most things in the exam and I basically visualise the chapter by thinking of the headings and this breaks down into the cases per heading which usually forms the structure of my answers.
    Once I am at the point that I can say Directors Duties and recite the relevant cases, I use the sheet of paper I test myself on as my last minute notes before the exams.
    The above works for me anyway and once I got out of the mindset that I needed to re-write the chapters in "my own notes" which ended up being word for word the manuals, then I was fine.
    I'm also doing the Griffith course and I'm finding it hard to fit in the lectures now coming up to the exams. Roll on October 7th!

OMG..Couldnt agree more.. I have been at that crack of making my own lecture notes forever and IT DOES NOT WORK..It is the most inefficient method of so called "studying" ever!!! Its the only way I knew how to study from being an Undergrad Law Student and just kept at it! As you said above my notes were practically word for word from the manual and sometimes even longer that the chapters in the manual. IMPOSSIBLE TO LEARN! Trying to adopt a new approach now that I have three very big subjects left... I agree that the only way to learn the stuff now is through reading the manual and creating lists of headings and lists of cases..The best way of learning seems to be through interacting with the material which I have frequently avoided (To my detriment I might add!!) in favour of the "making my own notes method". Its very easy to convince yourself that you are doing the work when you are punhcing in the hours but I reckon in the end Its all about productivity..Nice to see others are grappling with what seems to be such a basic concept for some individuals!!!! Still seven weeks left!! Would appreciate any other advice anyone else can offer on the above!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mbee

Snap!:)
    I'm attempting my first five this time and have spent the last 2 or 3 months writing out the manuals word for word, fooling myself with the theory that karma will allow me to pass these exams just because I have four large refill pads full to the brim of hand written notes at home. In reality, all I'm left with is a little knowledge of the law and a large bump on my thumb from holding the biro too tight. :mad: I've decided for my last subject to forget writing out notes verbatim and concentrate on understanding the material, jotting down concise notes and whittling each chapter down to about a page or so. I think the best advice at the moment is to stop the comfort study and use the time left to really get to grips with the material. Also I think doing past exam questions and testing yourself after each chapter are vital study tips. Thats just my two cents but hope it helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

to8 wrote: »
    I was really surprised when reading the EU examiner's report to find out that many students repeatedly attempt to do only 3 questions!

Seriously wtf?

Doing 3 good questions is really cutting it fine.

It's incredibly common to see students (whether fe1 or otherwise) not doing the required number of questions. I don't understand it either.

pansoul wrote: »
    Good point. Much of my study is characterised by "comfort study" - making notes but not concentrating on it at all, just going through the motions and fooling myself that because there is visible product there must be valuable product.

I think I slip into such a dissociative state because my method of studying isn't sufficiently engaging. Transferring notes from manual to foolscap/laptop represents pretty low-level engagement. As such it should be regularly bolstered by something that heightens awareness and concentration, like going back over notes and questioning yourself.

Right, glad I figured that much out, even though it should've been obvious. Next step is improving my method. Wish me luck. :)

So engage with the work in a different way! Take penalties / free kicks and think about as you do it! I'm pretty sure I'm the finest dead ball expert in the nation after years of exams...although I'm out of practice at this point

I'm also doing the Griffith course and I'm finding it hard to fit in the lectures now coming up to the exams. Roll on October 7th!

Whatever about lectures, the simple question is just this; do you look at past exams and find yourself able to do them? If you get the ability to them from manuals alone, so be it. Some people need more, some don't. If you find it too time consuming (perfectly understandable) to watch/attend lectures, then don't. Just work from your materials and decide if you think you understand it enough to do exam questions. If you do, then you don't need to watch a lecture on the point and spend your time on other prep. The key is to find what works for you and run with it.

• Advertisement

coco13 wrote: »
    OMG..Couldnt agree more.. I have been at that crack of making my own lecture notes forever and IT DOES NOT WORK..It is the most inefficient method of so called "studying" ever!!! Its the only way I knew how to study from being an Undergrad Law Student and just kept at it! As you said above my notes were practically word for word from the manual and sometimes even longer that the chapters in the manual. IMPOSSIBLE TO LEARN! Trying to adopt a new approach now that I have three very big subjects left... I agree that the only way to learn the stuff now is through reading the manual and creating lists of headings and lists of cases..The best way of learning seems to be through interacting with the material which I have frequently avoided (To my detriment I might add!!) in favour of the "making my own notes method". Its very easy to convince yourself that you are doing the work when you are punhcing in the hours but I reckon in the end Its all about productivity..Nice to see others are grappling with what seems to be such a basic concept for some individuals!!!! Still seven weeks left!! Would appreciate any other advice anyone else can offer on the above!!

Great lessons to be learned there...so many people end up with verbatim handwritten versions of the manual which is not the way to go. You are (in my view) going about it in exactly the right way. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

True. It's a pity the lectures were off for some subjects in July and we're catching up now with double/extra lectures when its almost time to be stopping them but I suppose that's just the way its working out. Would prefer the lectures to be more towards the start of the study season without some weeks off instead of leaving some run right to the end. Saying that though, I think they are invaluable when I'm not zoned out and definitely worth it!

Would have to agree with that. Most of the lecturers front-loaded their lectures if they were going away in August which is perfect but I'm quite annoyed that Constitutional has gone awol leaving a huge amount of work for the last couple of weeks.

Great lessons to be learned there...so many people end up with verbatim handwritten versions of the manual which is not the way to go. You are (in my view) going about it in exactly the right way. Good luck!

Cheers Brian..Thanks for the vote of confidence.. Feel very uncomfortable with this method of studying and actually feel really exposed not having a folder of notes to justify the time spent at the books!!! It just a method I'm not used to but as they say "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Hey,

I have the following for sale if anyone interested....

Constitutional Manual (Independent Colleges '09) plus Exam Papers & Reports

EU Manual (Independent Colleges '09) plus Exam Papers & Reports AND Supplemental Manuals/Papers from GCD re. Lisbon Changes.

All for €80 (or best offer) incl. Postage and packaging, just want to get rid of them!

PM me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

Cheers Brian..Thanks for the vote of confidence.. Feel very uncomfortable with this method of studying and actually feel really exposed not having a folder of notes to justify the time spent at the books!!! It just a method I'm not used to but as they say "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"!

try the journey method (u still have enough time to apply it), i have all 8 thanks to it....

• Advertisement

Paul1979 wrote: »
    try the journey method (u still have enough time to apply it), i have all 8 thanks to it....

Cheers Paul.. Will try to give it a go so!!!! Three to go!!! Hoping to get them out of the way in this sitting!!! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

Hi, can I just ask for a tiny bit more explanation of the Journey Method? I've read back in the thread about it and tried Googling it but I'm still a bit fuzzy on the detail of it.

Say for "To Whom Are Directors Duties Owed?" for example (just finished reading that!).

Do I simply say my kitchen is The Company, in which the toaster is Percival v Wright, the kettle is Dawson International v Coats Paton, etc. Then my sitting room is The Shareholders, in which the TV is Allen v Hyatt, the couch is Coleman v Myers, etc. etc.

Is that how you'd apply it or am I confusing it. Do you assign each heading a room (or whatever part of the journey you use) and then each important case an item in that room?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

law_lady wrote: »
    Hi, can I just ask for a tiny bit more explanation of the Journey Method? I've read back in the thread about it and tried Googling it but I'm still a bit fuzzy on the detail of it.

Say for "To Whom Are Directors Duties Owed?" for example (just finished reading that!).

Do I simply say my kitchen is The Company, in which the toaster is Percival v Wright, the kettle is Dawson International v Coats Paton, etc. Then my sitting room is The Shareholders, in which the TV is Allen v Hyatt, the couch is Coleman v Myers, etc. etc.

Is that how you'd apply it or am I confusing it. Do you assign each heading a room (or whatever part of the journey you use) and then each important case an item in that room?

Thanks!

Not so much an item but something that would relate to the actual case itself. You're looking for triggers, stuff that will remind you. THe journey method is so that you go "Directors duties, okay wher's that, the kitchen, whats in the kitchen" (not really items, you can use them if you want but i used events).

Using the above i had directors duties nearby an old desk i used to work at. When i imagined myself arrive at the desk (in your case the kitchen) i had Percival the waiter(just think it sounds like a name a waiter would have) waiting for me and no one else (case refers to general duties to company and no one else), he then takes my coat and hangs it on Dawson from Dawsons creek who's stuck face first in the coat stand (Dawson v Coats), Dawson sticks out his hand and takes the coat (case refers to co-operation between external and internal directors or something). Then i go sit at my desk (almost phase two, kinda signifys another section). The desk has loads of cup holders (shareholders). Santa is also sitting at the desk (Cris Crindle) and is shooting up and is kissing and hugging the needle (dependence/relationship). Then a giant Dinny Allen (ex cork footballer) induces santa to sit on his huge knee (huge=high=Hyatt, induce shareholders to sell)

Admittedly i got stuck after about Dawson, i knew it was santa but i couldn't remember.My notes are dated 17/03/09 so obviously it has stayed with me somewhat. The whackier the better cause you'll remember it, dirtier as well seems to stick in mine;)

It's not perfect obviously but it seemed to suit me fine.

Wow shaneybaby, thanks for that! Absolutely mental story you used but I see how it works better when its mad and memorable!!:) I'll give it a go! Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

law_lady wrote: »
    Wow shaneybaby, thanks for that! Absolutely mental story you used but I see how it works better when its mad and memorable!!:) I'll give it a go! Thanks so much.

sorry yeah it's abit off the wall, at least it was clean though so count your blessings;) I've been doing that type of study for a while so it's probably not the traditional way. Keep things simple at first. If it's too complicated or cluttered you'll miss things, i had most of portlaoise covered with tort. You'll still have to learn off quotations(if needed) or definitions verbatum mind.

Hope it all goes well, good luck.
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

Thanks Brian and 32 minutes for the advice, lot of people have told me that it's not too hard to pass!!! Here's hoping...:D

Guys re EU Law... Is it safe enough to to leave out competiton law and still be covered for 5 questions in the exam. With time constraints I also do not plan preparing for the Case Note Question. I will cover all other topics however... Whats the general consensus please?

Any advice re Company Law? Just starting out.. Is it rated as a difficult exam? Easy to pass? Many topics than can be left out????
    Would appreciate any pointers from someone in the know!!!!! Where does all the time go!!?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Hi Coco,

I'm leaving out competition law in EU too, and doing everything else. The case law question would be great if it worked out on the day but I think I'll have enough without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Im also leaving out Comp its just too big and i dont have enough time left. I writing out case notes for a few of the larger ones and if they come up well and good but hopefully ill have enough without it, im studying every other chapter.

I have been using the journey method for learning cases. I used a journey around Kildare town to learn off the names of 20 cases in about 5 mins. I associated the name of the case with an object or place in the town.

Re Yorkshire Woolcombers was the curragh (sheep) Re Monolithic building was the cathedral Re Telford Motors the local garage etc.
    Im also doing mind maps to help me remember the key words. Seems to be working ok.

I have booked the day revision courses for EU and company so hopefully they will help bring everything together for me and ill get my last 2 !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

I havent really got stuck into EU properly yet as I've been concentrating on the other horrible 4 I have but will be dedicating a full two weeks to it. Was thinking of doing Competition given that it comes up on nearly every exam. I was going to leave out Chapters 13 (Control of Mergers), 14 (Control of Public Undertakings), 15 (State Aid) and 17 (Freedom, Security and Justice) as they rarely come up really. Are you guys doing those chapters? There's just way too much in EU!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Any advice re Company Law? Just starting out.. Is it rated as a difficult exam? Easy to pass? Many topics than can be left out????
    Would appreciate any pointers from someone in the know!!!!! Where does all the time go!!?:mad:

I'm finding company a bit tough to be honest because its very technical with so many references to the Companies Acts. My Companies Acts is like a rainbow from all of my tabs that I honestly doubt I will be able to find anything in it in the exam! The shares/shareholder chapters I think are tough going as they're just so boring. The more general stuff that we would have done in the undergrad degree is fine (s 205, corporate personality, directors duties, ultra vires etc). THere was only a 30% pass rate in the last sitting which I'm hoping may mean that they may mark easier this time round!! Yes I am trying to put a positive spin on that horrible statistic!

coco13, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm finding Company almost reassuring, in that the case names are familiar from the final year of my undergrad and even the law in the areas Ruby83 mentioned is familiar. It's also fairly logical which I find helps. Maybe start with Directors since I found that incredibly long and a bit tedious, and its on in some shape or form basically every sitting. Get it out of the way early and you'll feel like you have a good chunk done!

I haven't actually started tabbing my copy of the Acts yet because realistically for areas such as Directors Duties, Ultra Vires, etc I won't even end up looking at them. I do think its worth marking Examiners, Liquidators and Receivers well though, I've heard of several people stuck for a fifth Q just transcribing enough on one of those out of the Acts to get a question down.

What are people leaving out for Company actually? I've done all the Directors stuff, i.e. Duties, S150 and S160, and doing Fraudulent/Reckless Trading at the moment. Have also already covered Minority SH Protection, Ultra Vires, Corporate Capacity and Corporate Personality. Then think I'll do Examiners, Liquidators and Receivers. Am I leaving anything vital out?

Giving Journey Method a proper attempt today, thanks for the advice.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Is there anybody else out there repeating exams and really not feeling it? I have three left and this is the most demotivated I have ever felt! I have an apprenticeship so I realise I am one of the lucky ones in that regard but I feel so worn out! Especially in relation to tort! Advice on getting back into it please:(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

the journey method can be a bit daunting at first, but stick with it, u will quickly get better at it and make associations faster, for me i think it took about 3 weeks to condense the whole course into a journey... then u just practice the questions (no need to write out full formal essay answers, just bullet point the main issues etc.) and you are laughin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

blathblath wrote: »
    Is there anybody else out there repeating exams and really not feeling it? I have three left and this is the most demotivated I have ever felt! I have an apprenticeship so I realise I am one of the lucky ones in that regard but I feel so worn out! Especially in relation to tort! Advice on getting back into it please:(

I'm in the exact same position! I've just started studying for the last 3 and I've barely got off the ground. I'm positive about them tho. I just think about that great feeling of having them all done and having the all clear to start the job! The more I envisage that moment the easier it seems! Stick at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Hey everyone!!!

hope study is going well for all. Listen, I have an old Griffith manual for Criminal from 2007-I am now doing the defence of insanity and I know the 2006 Act was introduced which repealed most of the legislation, but are there any other major pitfalls (aka new legislation) which I need to be aware of in relation to insanity or indeed any of the defences, even the ones specific to murder.

Would really appreicate the help :D

Happy Studying :D

Brian010 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position! I've just started studying for the last 3 and I've barely got off the ground. I'm positive about them tho. I just think about that great feeling of having them all done and having the all clear to start the job! The more I envisage that moment the easier it seems! Stick at it!!

Same position as you.. Three to go but zero motivation.. Hoping that I can cover the three subjects left in next few weeks... Putting in time now but not finding myself very productive at all.. Thought when i got to this stage with apprenticeship lined up Id get stuck in but tired of it now..Let the slog continue.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for Contract Law. I've gone through basically the whole course but some of it just seems that it would not come up as a whole topic if you know what I mean. Could anyone steer me in a direction of most important areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Same position as you.. Three to go but zero motivation.. Hoping that I can cover the three subjects left in next few weeks... Putting in time now but not finding myself very productive at all.. Thought when i got to this stage with apprenticeship lined up Id get stuck in but tired of it now..Let the slog continue.....!

They really are so draining especially if you exceed two sittings! I feel like my entire life revolves around them....oh to see three 50s in December Bye Bye Fe1s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement