Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

I have the property manual from independent Winter 09/10 but there doesnt seem to be anything for lan law and conveyancing act just mentions the bill the odd time. When did the new act become examinable? Is this manual redundant or is there a supplement etc?

Any help much appreciated!!

Hope the study is going well for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 35 youngmoney

if i remember correctly the majority of it stayed the same just chage the word bill 2 act! i was woriried sick bout the change, ad failed it once already, but jus learned a couple a points on top a the old stuff , and i passed with loads ta spare, and that was the manual i used...so dont get 2 bogged down in it!!! jus be wide 2 the changes...bit off topic but cud sum1 qickly tel me the diff between duin an llm or m.jur? wats the diff? is one not as gud as the other?tanks guys!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

page1 wrote: »
    Im doing the exact same, competition too big and possibility they question wont come up.
    I sat criminal the first time and got 42%, i was shocked as i really thought i had passed it well. Started studying again and i just made sure i really understood the topics instead of trying to learn them off by heart.
    Second time (with all same chapters and notes) i got 66%.
    Hogzy wrote: »
    As a matter of Interest could people post what topics they are doing for EU?

I am doing/plan on doing

1. Institutions
    2. Sources of EU Law
    3. Application of EU law before Domestic Courts
    4. EU procedures
    5. FMOG
    6. FMOW
    7. FOE & Services
    8. Citizenship.

I did these last time round and passed (Failed the others) but only scraped a pass. Im worried its not enough. I dont know if ill do competition or not. Its huge and the other topics rarely come and to cover them all would just take too long.
    The above 8 chapters got me enough questions last time round but im just worried now i wont have enough. Think the exam really went my way last time and im afraid it wont go the same way this time.

Hogzy..Am hoping to cover all of the above topics you have listed and Equality also. Any ideas is it safe enough to leave out all competition topics? I wouldn't like to be relying on the case note question either cause its just too hit and miss with the cases.

Any idea what there was such a terrible pass rate for Company Law last time round? Only starting to get into in now and always thought it was fairly straightforward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dynamokev

Was just wondering has anyone else heard that the Law Society intend to introduce two new FE1 exams, Admin and Family? Maybe it was just idle gossip that I heard without any real substance to it, but the people I heard discussing it were saying it could be a soon as Spring 2011.

Anyone able to dispel or verify this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Peaches1980

Hi,
    Just wondering does anyone have hints from griffith or independent colleges on what topics are expected for the Sept/Oct 2010 sittings of Criminal and Property. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

coco13 wrote: »
    Any idea what there was such a terrible pass rate for Company Law last time round? Only starting to get into in now and always thought it was fairly straightforward?

A friend of mine passed it on to me and it didn't make light reading!

30% was the pass rate.

_JOE_ wrote: »
    A friend of mine passed it on to me and it didn't make light reading!

30% was the pass rate.

Saw that alright,, Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

30% really?! did he say that in the examiner reports? I heard it was very hard alright but 30% passing is very low.

30% really?! did he say that in the examiner reports? I heard it was very hard alright but 30% passing is very low.

Yeah its in his report from April.. 30% pass rate is insane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Hey all,

Planning to do the frollowing topics for company law:

s.25 contract
    separate legal personality
    corporate authority
    directors (everything)
    transfer of shares
    borrowing by the company
    receivership
    liquidation

wondering if ye think this will be enough? Im a bit of a risk taker when it comes to these exams.. just wanted to know if ye think theres anything else that I really should be covering?

Also, what are people covering for tort? Please dont say everything..

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Im doing all that plus shareholder protection and remedies, disposition of company assets and winding up (i think it came up last time but im still covering it anyway).

30% pass rate thats shocking.
    Im doing the one day revision course in Griffith for company in 2 weeks. I studying on my own so i want to make sure im understanding it right.

Why is it so difficult to pass? I have written out all my notes and started learning them and it seems straightforward enough, am I missing something??

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

coco13 wrote: »
    Hogzy..Am hoping to cover all of the above topics you have listed and Equality also. Any ideas is it safe enough to leave out all competition topics? I wouldn't like to be relying on the case note question either cause its just too hit and miss with the cases.

I have actually decided to cover equality also. Im completely leaving out comp at the end of the day its only going to be one question i will have 7 others to choose from.

I attended the one day revision course in Griffith yesterday for EU, i found it very good. Anyway she said that you couldnt predict what cases would come up in the case note question so to leave it as a possible 5th question if you were stuck as you may get 2/3 cases you know from your other study but not to study for it in particular IYKWIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

What have people left out for Equity?

So far I've done:

• Injunctions
    • Specific Performance
    • Estoppel
    • The Three Certainties
    • Formalities for Trusts
    • Secret Trusts
    • Resulting Trusts
    • Rescission
    Anything vital I'm leaving out?

@ Amre17, I'm doing the same as you plus Shareholder Protection and Remedies. If I were you I'd do that one, its a nice topic when it comes up. Hope its enough! :o

page1 wrote: »
    I have actually decided to cover equality also. Im completely leaving out comp at the end of the day its only going to be one question i will have 7 others to choose from.

I attended the one day revision course in Griffith yesterday for EU, i found it very good. Anyway she said that you couldnt predict what cases would come up in the case note question so to leave it as a possible 5th question if you were stuck as you may get 2/3 cases you know from your other study but not to study for it in particular IYKWIM.

Cheers for that Page 1.. You reckon from yesterday that we should be safe enough with them topics? Would be afraid there might be 2 Questions on Competition Law and then the case note Question which would put you in a corner then with the 5 Questions left...Suppose if I can attemot five Ill be happy,, Doing the Revision Course with IC so Ill let you know if anything arises after that! Any mention of a possible Question on the Lisbon Treaty itself or will it just be incorporated into other topics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Hi,

Has the Charities Act 2009 commenced yet?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any tips about whats going on in the property exam?

I just have the winter 09/10 independent colleges manual and my notes from college so i dont know whats going on in it!

Any help at all would be appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Page 1 and Law lady.. thanks for that.. Ya I might tag on the shareholder protection..just feel like im running out of time now though..

Cant get over that pass rate either! I find the subject quite straightforward too.. maybe not enough in the answers?? dont know but im hoping he takes it easier on us this time around..

Studying the subject by myself too..let us know if the one day revision course can answer the question of the low pass rate..or if anything else juicy comes up..

Good luck with the study..

Where do you find out the pass rate? Is it mentioned in the most recent examiner report or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

Hi does anyone know if there has been an updated treaties, I sat EU in March and used the newest edition at that time but then we still had to skip back and forward to figure out the article numbering, ie - TEU etc etc.. I was just wondering has a post lisbon edition been brought out? Also does anyone know the stance on the article numbering for this exam I know that the examinor was pretty easy and not too harsh on people using the old pre lisbon article numbers for the last time round, is it the same case for this sitting???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Becky55 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if there has been an updated treaties, I sat EU in March and used the newest edition at that time but then we still had to skip back and forward to figure out the article numbering, ie - TEU etc etc.. I was just wondering has a post lisbon edition been brought out? Also does anyone know the stance on the article numbering for this exam I know that the examinor was pretty easy and not too harsh on people using the old pre lisbon article numbers for the last time round, is it the same case for this sitting???

Blackstone's newest edition is out now and has the TFEU numbering as far as I'm aware...

I think the examiner will be stricter this time around but that might just be conjecture.

Check this PDF out for some help

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2008:115:0361:0388:EN:PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

law_lady wrote: »
    Where do you find out the pass rate? Is it mentioned in the most recent examiner report or something?

It's extremely rare for it to be ever commented on, anywhere. No one knows the real figures and there is always speculation on what they are. I think that Company report was the first time in a long time that it was mentioned

Allegedly 50% is the pass rate for most sittings of most subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lorraine_ie

Anyone got any tips for landlaw? i'm working off an old manual at the moment and it doesnt take into consideration the new act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Anyone got any tips for landlaw? i'm working off an old manual at the moment and it doesnt take into consideration the new act.

Hi lorraine,

Struggling with land myself a bit. Are you going to leave any topics out?

Have you read the explanatory memo on the act???

Do you have an exam grid by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 michellemhurchu

I have a 2009/10 Law of Tort Griffith manual and exam papers-
    Also Compaines Acts and EC Legislation which can be brought into the exam-
    Cork area-
    email thepchops@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

I did the company exam in April and just about managed to pass. I think maybe the reason only 30% of people passed was because a couple of the questions, particularly the s.205 one, where a bit tricky and off putting and weren't asked in a more straightforward (and more approachable) way. I find the examiner tends pick one or two very small areas (or what I think are small areas study wise - like Reg 80 for example) for the essay questions which might be less than a page in any of the books and that can cut down your options very quickly if you haven't covered them and leave you having to do problem questions that you might not normally want to even consider doing. I found company grand to study for but the major difficulty is the amount of tiny topics in it that can end up being full questions and the bigger topics can often come up in a difficult and off putting way.

I'm quite a last minute hail mary type study person but my advice (and it's not great) would be to look back through the exam papers and you might see what smaller issues (I don't mean to say they're not important issues just small in the sense that there wouldn't be much written on them compared topics like Directors/Corporate Borrowings/Shareholders etc) tend to crop up and try and learn off a few points. Answering 5 questions (although obvious) is so important. I could only badly answer 3 in the exam, my forth was beyond crap and my last question well I don't think I even managed a page and I was clutching at straws (S.205 limitation straws to be exact!). Even if you feel like you know nothing about the topic I found it helps to flick through the Companies Act books and in times of desperation throw down anything relevant because it can be the difference between passing and failing. The Companies Act saved me in that exam!

Best of luck with it to all who are doing it this round. I'm doing my last four so roll on October!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

Would anyone happen to know if any topics or chapters could be left out of Tort. Also if someone happens to know the topics that came up on the April sitting that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 youngmoney

anyone no whether its acceptable to have markers placed on ur blackstones, i.e the little coloured strips sticking out on pages of certain articles to save time scramblin thru the book during the exam? thanks!

Hi Lorraine and Kingstew,

I'm the same, finding Property a real struggle. I'm doing the topics one by one from a Winter 09 manual and using the Explanatory Memorandum of the 2009 Act as I go, like when I did Easements I read the bit of the EM on easements and changed my notes to reflect the changes mentioned. I hopefully haven't missed anything.

EM is available at http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/eAct/2009/a2709.pdf by the way, in case you don't have it. Kingstew, definitely you should read it as you go. It's readable enough. I think some exam grids are available in the Google Group for FE1s but they're a bit older and again these are probably less help now the 2009 Act is in.

What I'm confused about is stuff like Tenure, Equity and the Doctrine of Notice, Types of Estate, Rule on Remoteness. Are these chapters completely irrelevant now?? What is and what isn't abolished?!

So far I've studied:
    • Succession Law
    • Adverse Possession
    • Family Property
    • Covenants
    • Easements
    • Landlord and Tenant Law
    • Licences
    • Co-ownership
    How does this compare with your choice of topics?

Thanks.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LawGeek

Hi guys

I am looking for a Criminal Manual ASAP.

Anyone have one? PM ME!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement