Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

I'm really struggling with Constitutional the manual is huge. What (Independent) chapters are the most common/rarely examined? I saw some posts here commenting on how the examiner is very rights based?

Anyone else finding the material heavy?

Has anyone a exam grid that might help eliminate certain qs?

Good luck to everyone studying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

I'm really struggling with Constitutional the manual is huge. What (Independent) chapters are the most common/rarely examined? I saw some posts here commenting on how the examiner is very rights based?

Anyone else finding the material heavy?

Has anyone a exam grid that might help eliminate certain qs?

Good luck to everyone studying!

I know how you feel. In the past I've always been able to get a handle on the subjects, i.e what are core topics etc, even if I wasn't very well prepared in general. Just can't get to grips with Constitutional at all. Read through all the papers from April 2005 -March 2010 and not any more enlightened for doing so. It seems, more so in this subject than others, that anything and everything is asked.

I don't think the examiner sits down to set a paper and says, ok last time I focused on rights. This time the paper will be on institutional stuff. Don't think he'd last very long in the job if that was the case. Have come to the depressing conclusion that I'm simply going to have to try and learn everything between here and the 29th.

In my opinion though, I think the role of the president might be worth looking at as a new one will be elected next year. Also privacy in general with the recent release of Larry Murphy could be topical. Fair procedures is another topic worth considering I reckon.

Also, does anyone know if the Charities Act 2009 has commenced yet. Did a google search and all I found was a mention of sections 4 & 90 commencing.

Sorry about the moan!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Horndawg wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know if the Charities Act 2009 has commenced yet. Did a google search and all I found was a mention of sections 4 & 90 commencing.

The Charities Act 2009 was enacted on 28th February 2009.

Only certain sections have been commenced:-
    sections 2, 5, 10 and 99, of the Charities Act 2009
    These are the only sections commenced as far as i'm aware.

The Minister will sign commencement orders at various stages over the next few (undefined of course!) months.

_JOE_ wrote: »
    The Charities Act 2009 was enacted on 28th February 2009.

Only certain sections have been commenced:-
    sections 2, 5, 10 and 99, of the Charities Act 2009
    These are the only sections commenced as far as i'm aware.

The Minister will sign commencement orders at various stages over the next few (undefined of course!) months.

Great.

Thanks Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Just wondering has anyone/everyone received confirmation of their FE-1 applications yet?

I've a few friends who have but as of yet I've seen nothing. Trying to get through to the Law Society at the moment to make sure they have it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fifi8_4

Jev/N wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone/everyone received confirmation of their FE-1 applications yet?

I've a few friends who have but as of yet I've seen nothing. Trying to get through to the Law Society at the moment to make sure they have it!

Ya I received mine last week but they say it can take up to three weeks from when they received it!

fifi8_4 wrote: »
    Ya I received mine last week but they say it can take up to three weeks from when they received it!

Yeah I saw that on the form alright, it's been 3 weeks as of last Friday so fingers crossed they haven't lost it or anything!

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hey lads just looking over the EU past papers, and I noticed that in terms of free movement of persons and A45 (4) TFEU, the fact that the provisions of the article shall not apply to employment in the public service, the examiner has consistently pointed out that students seem oblivous to this caveat and the courts narrow interpretation of it. I cannot find any case law on it in the manual I have and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to the line of case law he is referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

cd.galway wrote: »
    Yeah just had a look through papers there and sources comes up quiet a bit...might have look over it so!!! Might have a look at gender equality too... Another day at EU so and I was ready to shut the book on it til week or two before...grr!!!

I agree, deffo cover Sources of EU law, this would include fund rights, supremacy, subsidiary, EU competence. Its not a bad chapter, I just prepared each topic within this chapter. I think equality is worth studying & maybe state aid. I didn't study competition law but apart from that your list is similar to mine & I passed last time round. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

Hey lads just looking over the EU past papers, and I noticed that in terms of free movement of persons and A45 (4) TFEU, the fact that the provisions of the article shall not apply to employment in the public service, the examiner has consistently pointed out that students seem oblivous to this caveat and the courts narrow interpretation of it. I cannot find any case law on it in the manual I have and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to the line of case law he is referring to?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm
    click on simple search and you might find a case on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

Only thing I remember to do with public service is in relation to equal access to employment (for EU citizens), the public service sector has some exemptions here, certain jobs can be limited to Irish citizens, like in government offices etc. Doesn't include admin jobs. Won't necessarily be case law for this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mariaod

hi,

Im am looking to buy the legislation for the following Fe1 exams.

- company
    - equity
    - contract

Willing to pay good price. PM me if anyone is selling.

Also does anyone know if the legisaltion is actually any use to bring into the exam??

mariaod wrote: »
    hi,

Im am looking to buy the legislation for the following Fe1 exams.

- company
    - equity
    - contract

Company, worth the money
    Equity, doesn't allow any legislation in AFAIK
    Contract, wouldn't bother seeing as the Sale of Goods rarely comes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LawGeek

Independent Colleges

€20

LawGeek wrote: »
    Independent Colleges

€20

Other thread

hi,

a question for people doing the property exam,

is anyone after the buyiny the succession act and is it useful and do they think its necessary for the exam?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

hi,

a question for people doing the property exam,

is anyone after the buyiny the succession act and is it useful and do they think its necessary for the exam?

thanks

I have done it before, you def def need it! Its not exspensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

I agree, it's definitely worth having the Succession Act. It only costs around €10 from the Govt Publications Office.

hi, really need a copy of most up to date companies acts for the exam, does any one have a copy for sale??

Ok. Less than 4 weeks to Constitutional on the 29th with Equity close behind. Familiar with material in both subjects but despite my best efforts, I don't seem to be retaining anything at all. Everytime I try past papers with no notes at hand, I may as well have been watching tv for the last few weeks for all the use "studying" has done me.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

Ok. Less than 4 weeks to Constitutional on the 29th with Equity close behind. Familiar with material in both subjects but despite my best efforts, I don't seem to be retaining anything at all. Everytime I try past papers with no notes at hand, I may as well have been watching tv for the last few weeks for all the use "studying" has done me.

Was in the same boat but on my last three now and I never tried an exam q at home without the manual and not to brag but have not failed any either just relax and you will be able to remember more its in there somewhere!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

Are these the only 2 u have left? If so how did u retain the info for the other ones u sat?
    Try journey method best way to retain

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

hi, really need a copy of most up to date companies acts for the exam, does any one have a copy for sale??

I have the Horwath Bastow and Charleton Combined Companies Acts,bought last year for Company exam in October...some highlighting(which is permitted for the exam)..No writing on it..Excellent condition,very expensive book to buy new,will let go for 60 + P&P. PM me if interested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ah22

Is anyone selling the Companies Acts- need one ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dinobeano

Nervous breakdown time lads! Crunch time is upon us again. I have tried different study techniques but i just keep resorting to the 'learn-everything-off-by-heart' mode. Yeah- you know the one-the one that turns your brain into complete mush after a few days and makes you need to have a few stiff drinks so u can eventually get to sleep at night? Nightmare! Even though i have a fairly good grasp of the three subjects i'm sitting-tort, const n eu-in that i understand priciples and can recognise cases, I feel like i need to learn of eloquent sentences and judges quotes so that my answers won't read like a leaving cert english paper. Anyone else do the same thing? Am I driving myself to the asylum or do some people just pass exams this way? Ah venting the stress is fantastic! Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

This is not really fe-1 related. Just a quick question for anyone who did the LLB. What are the best subjects to choose for second and third year, bearing in mind that the third year counts for degree mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

The way I'm doing things is, 4 subjects, 4 weeks (counting last week) so a week per subject to get it all condensed down and fresh in my mind and then I'll learn it off as best I can in the 2 days before each exam (I'm lucky in the way mine fall, no 2 together).

A few questions:

1. For case names and legislation, is it best to write them in the same colour pen as the rest of the answer and then highlight them, or in a different colour? I hear we should stay away from red anyway as that's what they correct with.

2. Are people learning off judge's quotes verbatim or paraphrasing for most, bar the really catchy, famous statements?

3. Are people learning the facts of each case well or just a general summary and more focus on the actual point of law in the case?

Thanks in advance, hope everyone's going well with study.

lawlady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zoezie

hey! i never bother to highlight cases, etc i never usually have time!!
    and i never ever bother to learn quotes i always just learn the bare facts (so i can remember which case is which) and the legal outcome, i never know what judge says what, as long as you know the legal principles you'll be grand.

Also have a question - been learning equity off a 2008 griffith manual, so does anyone know if the law of trusts has been updated much in the new Property Act?

cheers :)
    hope study is going well for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

I know exam topic predictions can be evil but at least they give us some direction however misleading! Has anyone heard any tips from the Griffith or IC lecturers on the Tort exam? Looking through previous posts I see the Griffiths guy got it badly wrong last time out but generally has a good record. Surely Defamation will come up as well as Rylands v Fletcher!? It seems once new legislation comes in the examiners leave the topic out for a sitting. I know its best to learn as much as possible. I'm going to have an outline of essential cases for the fringe topics just in case and save the real effort for the bigger topics (no surprises there). I just feel that predictions give you some emphasis and they have definitely helped in some way with other exams - especially Equity. Any one have any thoughts on approaching the Tort exam?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

What's everyone doing for property? I'm so confused as to what to really do! So far I've covered

Adverse Possession
    Succession
    Registered and Unregistered Land
    Family Property
    Licenses
    Mortgages
    Covenants
    Easements

I'm so unsure about Tenure, Estates and Equity and the doctrine of notice- along with Settled Land. Whats everyone else doing??

Another thing I'm wondering about is Contract, I've covered basically everything apart from Sale of Goods, Agency, Quasi Contract and Interpretation of Contracts, what is everyone else doing??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement