Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Jev/N wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't bring them in is at a severe disadvantage IMO. If you wrongly state a section (having not brought the Acts in) you'll be slated as the examiner will expect you would have availed of the opportunity if you didn't know the sections verbatim.

Also, some questions have, in the past, been able to be largely answered by merely re-stating and paraphrasing some of the sections of the Act.

I answered question on examiners in last sitting largely from the book and it helped me out with other questions too so it's definitely worth bringing in and it can help jog your memory just to read the relevant section for a given question.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Would it be fair to say Defamation and Rylands are near certainties to be on the Tort paper this time round? Any chapters people feel can be dropped altogether? Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be major help. Really don't know what I'm at with Defamation at this stage so if anyone has studied new Act and has advice it would be great to hear thoughts on best approach.

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

law_lady wrote: »
    Hi all, studying for Company at the moment and have the following covered:

s25 Contracts
    Corporate Personality
    Corporate Capacity
    Doctrine of Ultra Vires
    Directors (everything)
    Shareholder Protection and Remedies
    Corporate Borrowing
    Retention of Title Clauses
    Disposition of Company Assets

Would be really interested to see what others have decided to cover. Is it safe to leave out Winding Up, Examiners and Receivers or am I being foolish? Thanks in advance.

I would definitely include stare transfer too, it's very straight forward and comes up frequently. I'm covering all the above plus consequences of incorp,
    winding up and receivership only really leaving out examinership. Be aware capital maintainence is likely to come up too

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

What are people leaving out of EU law?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ruby83 wrote: »
    What are people leaving out of EU law?

Institutions for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Competition for me

I'm leaving out state aid and freedom justice and security for the sole reason that they're at the end of the manual and I can't face doing anymore!! Have a feeling State Aid may feature cos it's kinda topical but will have to take the chance with the rest. Wouldnt be too worried only due to the fact that there's the random case note question which is just impossible to study for and I find it hard to get my head around free movement of workers. Oh I can't wait to get my life back!!!

I'm leaving out state aid and freedom justice and security for the sole reason that they're at the end of the manual and I can't face doing anymore!!

What's Freedom, Justice and Security? Can't seem to fit that into any of the topics I have in mind?!

Jev/N wrote: »
    What's Freedom, Justice and Security? Can't seem to fit that into any of the topics I have in mind?!

Brussels 1 and 2.

Brussels 1 and 2.

Ah cool, I was kinda thinking that after I posted! Might glance over it but probably not going to focus on it much. You'll be fine with the topics you're leaving out IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I'm not doing competition, nor state aids. I'm just hoping and praying that I'll have enough to answer 5 questions. I cannot physically put any more EU into my brain or I will explode.

How's everyone doing? I'm getting a bit stressed now that I'm still trying to finish off notes and haven't gotten down to proper learning yet :( I have lost not only my motivation, but also my will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Chouette

I'm feeling your pain with constitutional. I'm doing property, eu, equity and company as well and they are all surprisingly way better than constit. I just can't seem to remember anything I've studied for it and I find it very hard to pinpoint what is being asked in the questions. I only have another few days to get it because I need to move on but it seems like i haven't studied it at all when I look at exam questions when in fact I have. I think I'll be winging it on the day!!! If I were u I'd also look at locus standi which seems to feature in one way or another on every paper.

I just can't get to grips with constitutional. I find it hard to identify topics in previous papers and it doesn't help that the examiner doesn't really specify what the questions related to.

If anyone did Griffith/Independent courses - what did they say to focus on? It's a vast course and I need to cut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sarahaw

Hi guys,

Hope the study is going well for everyone!

Does anyone know the times and venue of the exams? Im not from dublin so I have to arrange some decent accomodation.

I had a look on the lawsoc website but from what i could see it only listed the dates.

Tks for any help!

The exams are in the RDS and are 9:30am-12:30pm every day. I doubt these have change since the last time I did them!

Here's a link to the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.327861,-6.229634&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=53.326682,-6.228561&sspn=0.008048,0.022724&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Chouette, Constitutional tips are hard to come by, think it's pretty hard to predict. I'm leaving out AG, President, Emergency Powers and getting a broad (blurry) overview of everything else.

Has anyone gotten their exam number yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 2ndtimer

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me any pointers/ show me the direction of a decent article about the new bill.

Im sitting company for 3rd time and its my last one. Am aware of the acts in broad terms like removing objects clause and designated activity companies but was wondering did anyone have any good commentary on it, if it were to appear linked into a question ultra vires etc.

Also I done the Griifith Grind last year, but have lost my notes. There was a great handout on recent examinership cases but I cannot remember any of them, bar Tivway and cant even remember the facts, dont want to be quoting Zoe group so if anyone knows proper citatation or any other info please post.

Thanks- Guys

Hi,

Off the top of my head, examinership cases

Vantive (Zoe)
    Sharmane
    Missford
    Linen Supply re Repudiation of leases

Re the Cos Act, the main Co Reform Bill has not yet passed, now due 2011, so it's just the small one Co Amdt Act 2009 to be concerned with -changes re responsibilities and powers of ODCE. That's all I gather from it, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 2ndtimer

law86 wrote: »
    Hi,

Off the top of my head, examinership cases

Vantive (Zoe)
    Sharmane
    Missford
    Linen Supply re Repudiation of leases

Re the Cos Act, the main Co Reform Bill has not yet passed, now due 2011, so it's just the small one Co Amdt Act 2009 to be concerned with -changes re responsibilities and powers of ODCE. That's all I gather from it, at least.

No worries, I hope that's accurate re new Act; it's all I took from it anyway. Means that Ultra Vires is still law.

I got a good synopsis of changes from Mason Hayes and Curran website. I'm too old to link, sorry.

Also Gallium for examinership.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone else find the constitutional manual from Griffith is slightly lacking in information compared to the rest of the manuals. I know they "say" that its a guide which is to be supplemented by notes but Criminal, Tort, EU and Contract are all loaded with info and you would be hard pressed to feel the need to use other notes especially EU.
    I just find that the cases are not explained in the detail that other subjects are. For example the Human Persons doctrine under Equality has one page in the manual yet could be an entire exam question.

• Advertisement

I know it has to be handed in the day before. I will be staying in Dublin the night before the company exam and EU exam and have legislation for both.
    Does anyone know until what time the invigilators stay until after the exam, is is only until around 1pm? I will prob have to come up early on Monday to hand in the company, does anyone know if it would be possible to hand in the eu one then seeing as its not until Fri? I would not be able to travel up again early on Thurs.
    I know you can hand it in that morning and get it back during the exam but i dont want to risk that seeing as the legislation is so important in both these subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

Any important cases/issues in the news over the past few months that might be worth keeping an eye out for it Constitutional?

The sheer volume of stuff to cover is soul destroying and I haven't even looked at the exam questions properly yet because the one day I did I could not figure out what the questions were looking for (can't spot the issues at all!). Then tried reading the examiner report for some guidance which is very frustrating. Would be really helpful if he could go through what he was looking for in some of the answers just so people know they're on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zoezie

ananas wrote: »
    I'm not doing competition, nor state aids. I'm just hoping and praying that I'll have enough to answer 5 questions. I cannot physically put any more EU into my brain or I will explode.

How's everyone doing? I'm getting a bit stressed now that I'm still trying to finish off notes and haven't gotten down to proper learning yet :( I have lost not only my motivation, but also my will to live.

I'm the same :( thought i could get most of eu covered but have left out state aid, infringement, preliminary reference procedure, mergers and state liability.... i just can't face doing any more of it!! haven't properly learned anything yet either, just short notes, hopefully on the day the adrenaline will kickstart my brain into remembering everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Is there logic in thinking that this years exam in Equity will be more heavily focused on Equitable remedies and principles as opposed to a trust based paper? That seems to be the trend from past papers?

I'm very much behind in every subject and have almost given up taking notes and am reading from the manuals. A shot in the dark really! Anyone else in the same boat feeling like there's so much still to cover?

Handing in legislation

page1,

You can hand them both in on the same day. I'm not sure what time they leave at; I wouldn't chance later than one, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

Mshellster wrote: »
    Any important cases/issues in the news over the past few months that might be worth keeping an eye out for it Constitutional?

The sheer volume of stuff to cover is soul destroying and I haven't even looked at the exam questions properly yet because the one day I did I could not figure out what the questions were looking for (can't spot the issues at all!). Then tried reading the examiner report for some guidance which is very frustrating. Would be really helpful if he could go through what he was looking for in some of the answers just so people know they're on the right track.

might want to keep an eye on Foy v Ireland (Registrar of Birth Deaths Marriage etc) as its settled 2 months ago. dont have a cite but relates to mainly equality,privacy and maybe even family.

im sure theres lots of others too but i havent been keeping up either

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sarahaw

Thanks Jev/N!
    I've one more question though:D

Do I need to bring any form of id to the exams or proof of being registered to sit them and if so, what should I bring?

I was kind of expecting the lawsoc to send me an exam number or something but that hasn't happened! (should i be worried?!?)

It would seem a bit odd if you could just walk in off the street and sit to do the fe1's without any proof that you're registered!

Sarahaw wrote: »
    Thanks Jev/N!
    I've one more question though:D

Do I need to bring any form of id to the exams or proof of being registered to sit them and if so, what should I bring?

I was kind of expecting the lawsoc to send me an exam number or something but that hasn't happened! (should i be worried?!?)

It would seem a bit odd if you could just walk in off the street and sit to do the fe1's without any proof that you're registered!

No worries!

You'll get a letter in the next few days with your exam number, I haven't gotten mine yet either. You'll have to bring that (every day) plus ID to sit the exams and you'll be signing a sheet with your name on it to prove you were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

32minutes wrote: »
    might want to keep an eye on Foy v Ireland (Registrar of Birth Deaths Marriage etc) as its settled 2 months ago. dont have a cite but relates to mainly equality,privacy and maybe even family.

im sure theres lots of others too but i havent been keeping up either

Cool thanks, ya that's the only case I have in my head that's recent and might of it interest cause the case relates to a few areas but otherwise I'm stumped! I'm stumped with Constitutional in general it's so airy fairy!

• Advertisement

law86 wrote: »
    Handing in legislation

page1,

You can hand them both in on the same day. I'm not sure what time they leave at; I wouldn't chance later than one, just in case.

Great thanks ill be there for 12/12.30 just in case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement