Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

JessieJ wrote: »
    What topics are ye guys covering for Property? I'm so sick of studying!

I'm leaving out Settled Land and am totally confused with mortgages so will try to avoid a question on that if it comes up. Otherwise it's kinda hard to go on the past papers because so much has changed and i'm a bit all over the place with the old law and the changes from the act. I'm also very sick of studying!! Not long now though thank God (and oh God!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Ruby83 wrote: »
    I'm leaving out Settled Land and am totally confused with mortgages so will try to avoid a question on that if it comes up. Otherwise it's kinda hard to go on the past papers because so much has changed and i'm a bit all over the place with the old law and the changes from the act. I'm also very sick of studying!! Not long now though thank God (and oh God!!)

Snap, thats what I'm doing. Apparently the life estate could make an appearence?? I don't know how accurate this is.

I have lost all motivation, I know I should be learning and cramming but I just can't seem to do it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

So what areas of Property are majorly messed up by the new 2009 Act? I know there are changes to certain aspects of Covenants and Easements. I've done those, as well Succession, Adverse Possession, Co-ownership, Landlord and Tenant, Licences, and Family Home.

After that, I'm so unsure of myself with this damn 2009 Act that I'm at a loss as to what to do. Would I have enough in what I've done already? It is a NIGHTMARE working off an out-of-date manual and the Law Soc syllabus is zero help. How are other people dealing with this subject, without having done a course?

The only thing keeping me going is the idea of the night out we'll all be having by this time 3 weeks! Nearly there guys!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dinobeano

ananas wrote: »
    Snap, thats what I'm doing. Apparently the life estate could make an appearence?? I don't know how accurate this is.

I have lost all motivation, I know I should be learning and cramming but I just can't seem to do it :confused:

I'm exactly the same-whats wrong with us? I always get like this before these exams but this has gone beyond a JOKE. Have done nothing but doss in days. Need my head examined. or maybe just a good slap.

I got my exam number letter from the law society this morning....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭JessieJ

For Property, I've covered adverse possession, succession, co-ownership, incorp hered., licences and estoppel, family property, covenants, equity, nature and history, estates...Is that enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LiamMc26

Hi
    Could someone please list the topics that came up on the Spring 2010 Company paper? I sat it and failed this time last year, didn't sit it in March and am just getting back into it this week - I'm hoping two weeks is enough!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

ananas wrote: »

Its called burnout! Ok...take it easy today. Go for a walk, clear the head a bit. You've probably worked (even if you don't feel it) for ages on these soul destroying exams. I've been there before I know what it feels like. This is like preparation for the ALL - Ireland. You need to take it easy now. Start going over the important cases again today. Just read one or two areas today also. Then rest, watch a movie. Go to bed early tonight and get up early tomorrow morning. You have a week left in which you'll get an enormous amount done. You can do it!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

dinobeano wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same-whats wrong with us? I always get like this before these exams but this has gone beyond a JOKE. Have done nothing but doss in days. Need my head examined. or maybe just a good slap.

Im the same, im 12 weeks pregnant on my third baby and absolutely dying with morning (all day) sickness and exhausted tired. These are my last 2 and i thought id be all motivated to get them over with but i cant concentrate.

LiamMc26
    q1 - seperation of powers
    q2 - a)fundamental rights or b) art 15 public right of access to docs
    q3 - art 230 annulment action
    q4 - case notes van gend en loos,marshall,grzelczyk,airtours,atlmark,kobler
    q5 - direct effect and MS liability
    q6 - FMG/FOE
    q7 - FMW
    q8 - competition

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ruby83 wrote: »
    I got my exam number letter from the law society this morning....

Me too - and reading through - it seems that tabbing isn't allowed then? They explicitly only allow underlining and highlighting texts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Me too - and reading through - it seems that tabbing isn't allowed then? They explicitly only allow underlining and highlighting texts...

WHAT!!!! For F*ck sake. Why bother restircting tabs, fair enough not allowing people to write on them but excluding them all together is a joke. As if we didnt have to learn enough off already we have to go and learn off the page numbers for the treaties aswell. Fantastic!!!!

They really are out to get us aren't they!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Chuckler wrote: »
    Its called burnout! Ok...take it easy today. Go for a walk, clear the head a bit. You've probably worked (even if you don't feel it) for ages on these soul destroying exams. I've been there before I know what it feels like. This is like preparation for the ALL - Ireland. You need to take it easy now. Start going over the important cases again today. Just read one or two areas today also. Then rest, watch a movie. Go to bed early tonight and get up early tomorrow morning. You have a week left in which you'll get an enormous amount done. You can do it!!!!!!! :)

Great advice, going to stick on a bit of Queen and go for a walk :D:D

Just to add in, I've left out all the first part of property ie Tenure, Estates and Equity. I really can't see how they'd come up, I know that it still says that they're on the syllabus but they were completely absent last time.. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Tabs were allowed last time I sat these exams...

Hogzy wrote: »
    WHAT!!!! For F*ck sake. Why bother restircting tabs, fair enough not allowing people to write on them but excluding them all together is a joke. As if we didnt have to learn enough off already we have to go and learn off the page numbers for the treaties aswell. Fantastic!!!!

They really are out to get us aren't they!

I'm just planning to highlight the edge of the books then...

And just reading through again... it appears (by the strict understanding of the wording) that the latest edition (21st 2010-2011) of Blackstone's isn't allowed for the exam????

It says the 20th and earlier publications are allowed... doesn't mention later :/

But bookshops only sell the 21st edition now :/ - they've returned the old 2009-2010 ones.

Rightio - just rang the law society - wait until Monday and the person in charge to come back from annual leave.

I assume using Blackstone's 2010-2011 won't be a problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

I remember something similar last year re editions of Blackstones and they do allow the latest edition. It's a Law Society error.

I'm going to leave all my tabs in place; if the invigilators tell me to remove them when I'm leaving in the book, it will only take a minute. I think that is just how they phrase it and that tabs are fine.

law86 wrote: »
    I remember something similar last year re editions of Blackstones and they do allow the latest edition. It's a Law Society error.

I'm going to leave all my tabs in place; if the invigilators tell me to remove them when I'm leaving in the book, it will only take a minute.

The irony of the law society writing unclear instructions? :pac:

Oh good God. If tabs weren't allowed Company would be horrible!! Constitutional and EU I'd get over but seriously!! Will def be leaving mine on as well and tackle that hurdle on the morning of the exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cagney88

Eughhh this is just depressing.

Seriously, if a law grad can't get a mimimum wage job as a p.a for a solicitor what hope is there in getting a training contract after the fe 1 s.

Also, law firms, if someone applies for a paralegal position could you have the decency to at least acknowledge that you got their cv :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ah the law society can fuck off with their attitude. Those rules that were sent are just the ones from the last sitting as there should be a mention of the new Blackstones. They are the PDFs that have been on the lawsociety website all summer which is ridiculous.

As far as I know, when I sat my last set in Oct '09, it didn't specify tabbing either. I tabbed and nothing was said.

BTW tabbing isn't technically 'marking' in the literal sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

I did not get my candidate number today!!! :confused: Anyone else the same???

mirm wrote: »
    I did not get my candidate number today!!! :confused: Anyone else the same???

Jesus relax... You are in Cork so it could take a day longer to arrive. Wait til Monday or Tuesday and then contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

cagney88 wrote: »
    Eughhh this is just depressing.

Seriously, if a law grad can't get a mimimum wage job as a p.a for a solicitor what hope is there in getting a training contract after the fe 1 s.

Also, law firms, if someone applies for a paralegal position could you have the decency to at least acknowledge that you got their cv :mad:

Let's try to keep this thread on-topic about the FE1s themselves.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Jesus relax... You are in Cork so it could take a day longer to arrive. Wait til Monday or Tuesday and then contact them

I got mine today and I am in Cork. Dont worry about it Mirm, i remember i didnt get my results until a day after everybody else. It will defo come monday.

Hogzy wrote: »
    i remember i didnt get my results until a day after everybody else

Now that's something I'd freak out about!

Now that's something I'd freak out about!

Im sure if you scroll back through the pages you will see my freack out posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Folks just to clarify, blackstones latest edition IS allowed, its just not updated on the law soc sheet.

Also i rang the law soc today to see if i could number the tabs on the legislation because obviously i dont want to check every tab to look for one but they said no writing at all. Never said no tabs so tabbing is fine.

All gettin too hung up here folks, just relax a bit. Failing isnt the end of the world anyways. im sitting my first 4 now, im praying to pass 3 but if i dont ill be having a go at all 8 in march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

king-stew wrote: »
    Folks just to clarify, blackstones latest edition IS allowed, its just not updated on the law soc sheet.

Also i rang the law soc today to see if i could number the tabs on the legislation because obviously i dont want to check every tab to look for one but they said no writing at all. Never said no tabs so tabbing is fine.

All gettin too hung up here folks, just relax a bit. Failing isnt the end of the world anyways. im sitting my first 4 now, im praying to pass 3 but if i dont ill be having a go at all 8 in march.

How come you might have a go at all 8 in March? Do you have a job in line? I was in a similar position last year. 2 out of 4 and thought about all 8 but took 6 last April. Have to pass the remainder now to be able to start work in May 2011. Any one else in a similar position? Pressure!!

I've got 4 left to do - what I'm currently sitting.

Supposed to start work in May next year but can defer til Jun if I have to sit 1 next Mar. Hopefully that won't be necessary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

I've got 4 left to do - what I'm currently sitting.

Supposed to start work in May next year but can defer til Jun if I have to sit 1 next Mar. Hopefully that won't be necessary!

Can you defer until Jun 2011 or is it 2012? I was told that we need to pass by this sitting as the next sitting would be too late for a May 2011 start. I was hoping I would have the March 2011 safety net! I'm taking 3 (Tort, Company and EU). Seriously need to get going today. One week to go. How are you set?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement