Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Brian010 wrote: »
    How come you might have a go at all 8 in March? Do you have a job in line? I was in a similar position last year. 2 out of 4 and thought about all 8 but took 6 last April. Have to pass the remainder now to be able to start work in May 2011. Any one else in a similar position? Pressure!!

I hae a job in line, its not great but its something, i will still be applying to firms though. Ill try sit all 8 just to get them over with to be honest! if it gets too much ill just go for 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

I can't speak for other firms but my contract is with a view to starting Blackhall in September 2011. That means I have two sittings to pass all 8, then I can choose to start work in either late May or just straight to Blackhall in September. If I don't pass all 8 by the two sittings, it doesn't mean I lose the job but I have to wait until May 2012 to start the job. So I'm in the same frame of mind as Kingstew, sitting my first 4 and going to go for the whole 8 if necessary next time. A year more is a long time when you've been waiting as long as I have to get an apprenticeship!! So sick of being broke and lonely!! Anyone else feeling the pressure?!

Meanwhile, back to study issues... Anyone able to tell me what Q3 of the October 2008 Equity & Trusts paper is about? I'm confused!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Hi law-lady, just from exam reports, it says that it relates to the three certainties and requires outlines of the first two and wider discussion of certainty of objects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

king-stew wrote: »
    I hae a job in line, its not great but its something, i will still be applying to firms though. Ill try sit all 8 just to get them over with to be honest! if it gets too much ill just go for 6!

I thought about sitting 8 but decided it would be crazy. I seriously think you would need SAS style mental stamina to get through 8 monster exams in a week and a half. It would be fine if there were days in between each exam like before. You'd need to eat and sleep revision for a good few months before. I just think you can't help but rote learn for these exams. They definitely encourage more military drilling than real understanding because of the sheer amount of cases we have to learn.

Well done on having a job set up. The way the economy is going we should feel super lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Brian010 wrote: »
    Can you defer until Jun 2011 or is it 2012? I was told that we need to pass by this sitting as the next sitting would be too late for a May 2011 start. I was hoping I would have the March 2011 safety net! I'm taking 3 (Tort, Company and EU). Seriously need to get going today. One week to go. How are you set?

It's for Jun 2011, the firm are fairly flexible about start times and aren't too militant if awaiting results. If I had one left to repeat I would cover every angle and wouldn't leave the possibility of failing again (I would hope) so to ensure being ready for Jun

I'm set alright, I think. Just trying to go through as many past questions and cover as many areas as possible before committing stuff to memory!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

Well done on having a job set up. The way the economy is going we should feel super lucky!

yeah these law exams are a dime a dozen now. they maybe be really hard but it doesnt mean your entitled to a job. every tom,dick and harry has done them at this stage now. hard to differentiate between anyone now regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Niamhb10

Hi all hope study goin well!
    was wonderin if anyone could explain the issue of joint tenants and tenants in common (rule in Re Stead) im gettin so confused?? was tryin to answer question 6, April 2001.... Thanks in advance!

oh and in Company do u reckon its a big risk if i leave out membership and shareholders, shares and transfer of shares, and meetings of shareholders? Panic stations... thanks!

Thanks for that law86, scary I didn't recognise the issue though, eek!!

Niamhb10 -

From my understanding, and by no means completely right, but hopefully will help a bit...

In Re Stead, the court created a somewhat unconvincing distinction between Secret Trusts for Joint Tenants, and STs for Tenants-In-Common.

If the property is left to TICs as secret trustees, only the TIC who actually accepts the trust obligation, i.e. the one who actually tells the donor they agree to be trustee, is bound by the trust. Other TICs take their share of the property beneficially, unless they have been notified of the trust.

So if its to TICs, look for acceptance by one of them, and look to see whether the one that didn't actually accept know of the trusts existence.

Must also be able to distinguish between:
    (a) TICs who know of the trust but not of the trust obligation; and
    (b) TICs who didn't know about the trust at all.

If they knew nothing about the trust at all, they take absolutely for themselves. If they knew of the trust, a Resulting Trust arises in favour of the donor's estate.

Then if the property is left to JTs as secret trustees, it depends on when the "accepting" trustee agreed to the trust obligation.

- If the will was made before the "accepting" trustee, i.e. the one who was aware of the donor's true intentions for the bequeathed property, agreed to be bound by the trust obligations, only the "accepting" trustee is bound and the other JT donee takes his share beneficially.

- If the will was made after the "accepting" trustee agreed to be bound by the trust obligations, both donees are bound.

So if its to JTs, look for when acceptance takes place - was it before or after the will was created?

Also remember that in Geddis v Semple, Walker LJ was critical of this distinction.

That's what I've learnt on that issue anyway, don't know if that's any good to you.

Also for Company I've left out the same as you, fingers crossed we'll manage! Went through years of exam papers and could do at least 5 on every sitting except one (on that one I could basically only do 1 out of 8, I nearly cried!!) so it seems we have done enough.

law_lady wrote: »
    Also remember that in Geddis v Semple, Walker LJ was critical of this distinction.

Law_Lady thanks a mil for that reply.... the way you put it makes lots more sense to me!! i was way over complicating it. I looked up Geddis v Semple... Walker LJ was critical and pointed out :

that the tenant in common who was not told of the secret trust would only take free from it if the gift to him could be treated as an independent one, and that he would have got it regardless of the undertaking given by the other tenant.

so.... if two people were given a house as tenants in common to hold for the benefit of 'B', but only one of them knew.... possibly the TIC who did not know of the trust could be bound as the gift is not independant from the other TIC. However would do you think just stick with the rule in Re Stead and mention Walker LJ at the end of question as a conflicting stance?

Glad to hear that we have covered enough re Company could not face doing all the shares and shareholders topics! Thanks again for your help!! i can put secret trusts to bed....

I reckon if you just mentioned it as a conflicting stance you'd be ok, but that makes sense, what Walker LJ said, and I find that when it makes sense, its easy to remember, so I reckon I'll paraphrase what he said if the opportunity (and time) presents itself!

What have you left out for Equity? I've left Constructive and Charitable Trusts and Cy Pres out entirely, hope I'm not being foolish! I haven't learned anything off properly yet, just condensed my notes as small as poss, and I'm so afraid my memory will fail me when it comes down to it so I'm trying to minimise what needs to be learned!

• Advertisement

I know how u feel... i am finding it sooo hard to retain all of the cases and points they all merge into one another after a while.

re equity topics.... that sounds o.k to leave out, if u have done everything else u will b fine! im sooo far behind...have yet to cover resulting trusts, prop rights of cohab's, constructive trusts, trusteeship and estoppel... is that loads? what u think, which ones good to eliminate?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 youngmoney

guys where can i buy a copy of the companies acts???and how much are they? im in dublin if thats any help! thanks, leaving it late i suppose!!

youngmoney wrote: »
    guys where can i buy a copy of the companies acts???and how much are they? im in dublin if thats any help! thanks, leaving it late i suppose!!

Most big bookshops, make sure you get the Student (pink) version though. It's are €85-95 is I remember rightly so maybe try to find a secondhand one?

youngmoney wrote: »

Got mine in Hodges Figgis on Dawson St the other day... 96 euro. they had loads in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

To those who are sitting Constitutional (or have previously passed it), how do the following topics sound in terms of the exam...

President
    Public administration of justice
    Principles of judicial review
    Effects of unconstitutionality
    Separation of powers
    Due course of law and due process
    Right to silence/ privilege against self incrimination
    Right to jury trial
    Fundamental rights and judicial review
    Personal rights
    Equality
    Property rights
    Abortion
    Personal liberty
    Inviolability of dwelling
    Freedom of speech/assemby/association
    Thematic issues in family and education

I know that seems like a massive list but I'm stressing that the overlap might catch me out?! Anything there I can avoid??

Good luck with the studying it will be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

To those who are sitting Constitutional (or have previously passed it), how do the following topics sound in terms of the exam...

President
    Separation of powers
    Right to jury trial
    Personal rights
    Equality
    Property rights
    Abortion
    Personal liberty

I know that seems like a massive list but I'm stressing that the overlap might catch me out?! Anything there I can avoid??

That sounds like pretty comprehensive coverage to me. I'd also include constitutional interpretation and locus standi if those are not included in ur list above. I'm in the midst of learning constitutional at the moment, and I go from hating it to thinking its not too bad. Find it kinda hard to take the subject as a whole and get it if that makes sense! Its the one I'm struggling with the most tho definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

I ordered mine from amazon.co.uk - 72 pound sterling so about €90 delivered in a couple of days, saved a drive to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

President
    Separation of powers
    Right to jury trial
    Personal rights
    Equality
    Property rights
    Abortion
    Personal liberty

I would be doing most of the same, thinking of cutting out Personal Liberty, Abortion and just using whatever's in my head and the various articles for the President. Don't know if that's good/bad idea but there's just too much to cover at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MilkTheGroup

Each of the following I'm selling for €30 and from Griffith College's FE1 course...

Criminal Law-Law Society Entrance Examination Preperatory Course 2006-2007 (handbook)

Consitutional-Law Society Entrance Examination Preperatory Course 2006-2007 (handbook)

European Union-Law-Law Society Entrance Examination Preperatory Course 2006-2007 (handbook)

Real Property-Law-Law Society Entrance Examination Preperatory Course 2006-2007 (handbook)

Company Law-Law Society Entrance Examination Preperatory Course 2006-2007 (handbook)

European Union Law-Law Society Entrance Examination Preperatory Course 2006-2007 (handbook)

First Irish Examination-Law Society Entrance Examination Preperatory Course 2006-2007 (handbook)

I also have law books highly relevant to the FE1s for sale:

2nd HAND LAW BOOKS FOR KNOCK-DOWN PRICES!!!!
    -Torts, Company Law, Criminal Law

McMahon and Binchy, Irish Law of Torts, 3rd edition, Dublin: Butterworths [hardback]
    €50

Ronan Keane, Company Law, 4th Edition (Tottel, Sussex, 2007) [hardback]

€60

An Introduction to Irish Criminal Law [Paperback] Conor Hanly, Gill & McMillan

Byrne and McCutcheon on the Irish Legal System

[Paperback] LexisNexisButterworths

TEXT CONALL AT 0877755813

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Pat.Kenny wrote: »
    I would be doing most of the same, thinking of cutting out Personal Liberty, Abortion and just using whatever's in my head and the various articles for the President. Don't know if that's good/bad idea but there's just too much to cover at this stage

Doing pretty much the same, leaving out President, AG and emergency powers. Apparently abortion is never on the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 05588081

Hi there,

I was wondering does anyone know do I have to actually go to all 4 exams on my first sitting if I am only attempting 3. I know you have to sit 4 but I ran out of time so struggling to get 3 subjects covered. Is payment enough for the Law society or do you have to go to exam, sign in and leave after the first half hour?

Thanks

05588081 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was wondering does anyone know do I have to actually go to all 4 exams on my first sitting if I am only attempting 3. I know you have to sit 4 but I ran out of time so struggling to get 3 subjects covered. Is payment enough for the Law society or do you have to go to exam, sign in and leave after the first half hour?

Thanks

I'm not 100% but I think you do have to actually 'sit' the exam i.e. go in a sign your name etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

05588081 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks

You still have to go to the exam, sign in and you can leave after three quarters of an hour but not beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

law86 wrote: »
    Apparently abortion is never on the exam.

On a recent circular for pension investment, right down at the bottom was a line "past performance does not guarantee similar future performance".

Whereas abortion may not have featured predominantly, one could point out that abortion in Irish society (at least in Irish legal discourse) has been a dead issue for a long time for all sorts of reasons. One could no longer say that after the Tysiac decision and what it may mean for Ireland and, indeed, the A,B,C case.

Essentially, there are massive issues insofar as no-one really knows when they are entitled to abort. We all know it can be done when you satisfy the X test, but who knows if they really satisfy that? There is a complete lack of ability for a woman to know if (in Ireland) she is having a truly lawful abortion or not. That is the current issue, highlighted by the above cases, and its since its "topical" and since the exam has predominantly featured "topical" issues (or the facts of topical cases), it might be something just to think about, if not delve into.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

President
    Separation of powers
    Right to jury trial
    Personal rights
    Equality
    Property rights
    Abortion
    Personal liberty

Don't forget to be judicious within those topics.

Niamhb10 wrote: »
    I know how u feel... i am finding it sooo hard to retain all of the cases and points they all merge into one another after a while.

re equity topics.... that sounds o.k to leave out, if u have done everything else u will b fine! im sooo far behind...have yet to cover resulting trusts, prop rights of cohab's, constructive trusts, trusteeship and estoppel... is that loads? what u think, which ones good to eliminate?

Sorry for delay. I did trusteeship just the other day and its absolutely fine. It seems to often come up as a two parter - one duty/power and then a part about retirement/removal. Simple enough and often examined so def do that I'd say! I've left out cohabitees as well actually, but I'm doing Property so there's a little bit of overlap in case of disaster!

Plenty of time yet, you'll be fine! :)

Anyone able to tell me when we are supposed to hand in our Companies Acts? Is Monday the 27th ok or should we be earlier? Also is it worth getting the Succession Act or will I bother, I think I'll remember all the relevant sections needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

law lady the succession act is pretty small, not like the ENORMOUS Companies Acts and i hear its pretty cheap so it might be worth an investment! My motto is "its better to have it and not need it that need it and not have it!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

On a recent circular for pension investment, right down at the bottom was a line "past performance does not guarantee similar future performance".

Whereas abortion may not have featured predominantly, one could point out that abortion in Irish society (at least in Irish legal discourse) has been a dead issue for a long time for all sorts of reasons. One could no longer say that after the Tysiac decision and what it may mean for Ireland and, indeed, the A,B,C case.

Essentially, there are massive issues insofar as no-one really knows when they are entitled to abort. We all know it can be done when you satisfy the X test, but who knows if they really satisfy that? There is a complete lack of ability for a woman to know if (in Ireland) she is having a truly lawful abortion or not. That is the current issue, highlighted by the above cases, and its since its "topical" and since the exam has predominantly featured "topical" issues (or the facts of topical cases), it might be something just to think about, if not delve into.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Any other topical issues you think might be worth keeping in mind aswell? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Hi Folks, just looking for a bit of urgent advice. Especially for anyone who has sat some of the Fe1s.

My predicament at the moment is that I've Equity, Property and Contract reasonably covered. I was planning on doing Company this week but so far i've it covered fairly poorly. However, I covered it well during my undergraduate degree and was hoping this might help me. At this stage, would I better concentrating on the three aforementioned this week or should I try tackle company. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Hi Folks, just looking for a bit of urgent advice. Especially for anyone who has sat some of the Fe1s.

My predicament at the moment is that I've Equity, Property and Contract reasonably covered. I was planning on doing Company this week but so far i've it covered fairly poorly. However, I covered it well during my undergraduate degree and was hoping this might help me. At this stage, would I better concentrating on the three aforementioned this week or should I try tackle company. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lol that's like asking how long is a piece of string! there is a japanese proverb that states "the day you decide to do it is your lucky day". if you think that you can learn 10 topics enough to chance sitting the company exam, seeing as how you have the other three reasonably covered, go for it. you have paid for the exam, you have to stay there at least 45 minutes and you already have your undergrad notes. I don't know what else you have on but if you have the next 8 days free to soak in fe1 prep and you put in a big effort, you'll be grand. Don't panic at this point. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement