Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

Hi All

Just wondering do any of ye know if Specfic performance came up last time round?? If so what question was it? Please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

Hillarious.

Went to drop in my copy of blackstones for the eu exam and didn't realise i had to put my number on the book.

Nearly had the knuckles wrapped off me by the matronly ladies.

Felt like I was in school again.

And how much am I paying to sit these exams? A little politeness wouldn't go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

yeah i know!!be polite!! my desk was wobbly today and i really really wanted a new one but i didnt bother ask becuz theyd be like this is a huge massive deal i would have to give u one of the 100 other desks that are free but do not have a sticker with ur number on it........ blah.

For contract- what issues were to be raided in q.2????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Contract couldnt have gone any worse for me. Was doing the Misrepresentation essay and half way through noticed i was referring to Mistaken Identity cases...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    For contract- what issues were to be raided in q.2????

I thought it was based on Dakota Packaging v Wyeth:
    http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IESC/2004/102.html

So I went into officious bystander test for implied terms and so on. But, since she specifically said promise and estoppel, I went into equitable relief under promissory estoppel as well, I did the question last because it was my weakest one and I had spare time so I wrote a lot on it, for better or worse.

Overall I thought the paper was tough enough, more than one issue in each question, but just about do-able for me.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

yes so did i???? i didnt mwntion that case thou??? but said officious by stander and maybe custom practise cuz theyd be together so long????? i also mentioned estoppel and intention to create leg rels??? i thought i messed up cuz there was so many issues????

what was q. 8 A???

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

If anyone has the contract paper, I wouldn't mind a look...

If anyone has the contract paper, I wouldn't mind a look...

I'll see what I can do for you Brian.

JC

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    yes so did i???? i didnt mwntion that case thou??? but said officious by stander and maybe custom practise cuz theyd be together so long????? i also mentioned estoppel and intention to create leg rels??? i thought i messed up cuz there was so many issues????

what was q. 8 A???

8A was limitations on damages wasn't it? I started with Headley v Baxendale and the mill, two-stage test, same in Victoria Laundries v Newman and the boiler, still good law basically. Then the rule that you could only recover under one head, which is softening a bit in modern times, then my mnemonic ERR for expectational, reliance and restitutionary losses, a good shot of case-law on each type, and finally odd-ball distress recovery such as Dinnegan v Ryan which I mentioned here last night ;-)

Mightn't be comprehensive but I got a good bit of law into it I thought.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ally10

I really didn't expect contract to be as tough!! so many different topics mixed into the questions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

Don't even talk to me about politeness and the ridiculous rules up there!My desk was so wobbly I was distracting everyone around me but they wouldn't let me move desk.
    Even more annoying, however, is their rule that you hand in your Constitution, Succession Act etc the day before. I don't live in Dublin and so I handed it in at ten to 9 the morning of the exam. At 10 o'clock I was wondering where it was and when I asked I was told that because I hadn't "complied with the rules I wouldn't be getting it for another 15 minutes". Seriously. How much do we pay to sit these exams again? Surely it doesn't take over an hour to check a tiny little book that was in pristine condition. Undue stress that we could really do without!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Hogzy wrote: »
    Contract couldnt have gone any worse for me. Was doing the Misrepresentation essay and half way through noticed i was referring to Mistaken Identity cases...

Oh God.. Poor you....If its any concilaton I have done the very same before... Will your other four questions carry you!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rick flair

Any one have a clue on some guaranteed questions ? Direct Effect, Citizenship, FMW/G , MEQR ?????

rick flair wrote: »
    Any one have a clue on some guaranteed questions ? Direct Effect, Citizenship, FMW/G , MEQR ?????

I reckon

1. Institutional Q
    2. Sources/General Principles - Art 114 or FR
    3. Infringement Proced or Prel Ref - Essay Q
    4. FMG
    5. Case Note Q
    6. FMW/Citizenship
    7. Equality
    8. Competition

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

I saw someone yesterday being told she couldn't have her Constitution, don't know why. The invigilator had it in his hand and was pointing something out to her, must have been some writing in it. Poor girl was very upset, even if you know your stuff inside out, that would throw your focus off.

fe1ready wrote: »
    Hillarious.

Went to drop in my copy of blackstones for the eu exam and didn't realise i had to put my number on the book.

Nearly had the knuckles wrapped off me by the matronly ladies.

Felt like I was in school again.

And how much am I paying to sit these exams? A little politeness wouldn't go astray.

No way,.. I left mine in this morning to two dotey men! They were both very nice alhtough I was made take off the tabs that had the treaty no written on them.. You can tab but you can't write on them so I am told.. Reckon loads of people leave leg in without their candidate number on them.. Was very reluctant to part with mine today.. Wouldnt mind having it with me tonight!!!
    Actuall I have highlighted and underlined stuff in pen...Presume that is ok... I'd die if they didnt let me have it tomorrow??

Jez, Invigilators in Cork seem to be alot more easy going than in Dublin. People were able to drop their stuff in no problem and have it ready for the exam.

No, that's fine. So long as you haven't written any actual words, it's acceptable. Have to say I find the staff grand too, so long as you're polite with them. I'm older than most people doing the exams though, so they might be less inclined to treat me like a bold school child!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

coco13 wrote: »
    I reckon

1. Institutional Q
    2. Sources/General Principles - Art 114 or FR
    3. Infringement Proced or Prel Ref - Essay Q
    4. FMG
    5. Case Note Q
    6. FMW/Citizenship
    7. Equality
    8. Competition

I reckon pretty much the same, institutional q on democratic deficit/increased powers of parliament , maybe not FR as came up last time ,enforcement proc or prel ref.

Jez, Invigilators in Cork seem to be alot more easy going than in Dublin. People were able to drop their stuff in no problem and have it ready for the exam.

Agreed Hogzy, I saw that too, I dropped my SOGs at about ten to nine this morning and had them back in minutes. Funnily enough, they mentioned that very few people dropped SOG Acts this time - not that they are very useful anyway.

It's illogical that we can bring in those ones, and not the likes of the Land Law and Conveyancing Reform Act or the new Defamation Act etc.

Also in Cork, they emphasised that if you had a wobbly desk or chair you could change. I couldn't really fault them in Cork - all I could say is the PA is awful, waste of time making announcements.

JC

• Advertisement

page1 wrote: »
    I reckon pretty much the same, institutional q on democratic deficit/increased powers of parliament , maybe not FR as came up last time ,enforcement proc or prel ref.

Yeah Im thinking Democratic Defecit or increased powers of EP but Id also watch out for a question on the leg processes in light of the Lisbon change here.. Although not sure if thered be enugh to write about.

Id still watch for FR in conjuction with Supremacy rather than a purely FR Question..What ya think?

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Also in Cork, they emphasised that if you had a wobbly desk or chair you could change. I couldn't really fault them in Cork - all I could say is the PA is awful, waste of time making announcements.

JC

True, Do you find that its extremely warm in there or is it just me? I think iv had a bad desk for the last 2 sittings because the heaters were pointed straight at me.
    PA system is useless alright its impossible to hear him. Hes voice doesnt help though.
    Role on EU and then Criminal and then booze!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rick flair

page1 wrote: »

No direct effect or state liability - comes up every time folks.

rick flair wrote: »
    No direct effect or state liability - comes up every time folks.

Actually very true.. Would be very happy to see that feature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

coco13 wrote: »
    No way,.. I left mine in this morning to two dotey men! They were both very nice alhtough I was made take off the tabs that had the treaty no written on them.. You can tab but you can't write on them so I am told.. Reckon loads of people leave leg in without their candidate number on them.. Was very reluctant to part with mine today.. Wouldnt mind having it with me tonight!!!
    Actuall I have highlighted and underlined stuff in pen...Presume that is ok... I'd die if they didnt let me have it tomorrow??

Should i worry about the fact that my tabs are 3 different colours?

If i find out tomorrow that i can't have my blackstoens I will literally cry.

Not at all.,. Mine are the same., Just no writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Mine's like a rainbow and havent had any trouble with the constitution or companies acts so it should be fine. I've decided that tabs are more of a hindrance than a help based on the last two exams. Have to add too that the invigilators in Cork are lovely, even if I have no clue what they're saying on the microphone.
    Dreading EU now.. those few hours I took off yesterday seem like a v bad idea now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

what are people's thoughts for next weeks property exam?

Definitely grand with multicolour tabs, highlighters and underlining. Sorry if I panicked anyone, the girl I saw must have actually written on her constitution.

• Advertisement

True, Do you find that its extremely warm in there or is it just me?

Definitely, I noticed the heat ok. I have EU in the morning, a write-off just to make up my four, then property next week and creamy pints after that for a few nights.

JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement