Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

I wonder if there will be a sneaky wee question on State Aid. Given the amount of state aid our banks have received in the last year or so it would be fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Hogzy wrote: »
    Jez, Invigilators in Cork seem to be alot more easy going than in Dublin. People were able to drop their stuff in no problem and have it ready for the exam.

How many are sitting them in Cork roughly?

PS anyone have a copy of Equity Paper from April if they could send me a copy it would be much appreciated, or an up to date grid would be ok too.

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How many are sitting them in Cork roughly?

PS anyone have a copy of Equity Paper from April if they could send me a copy it would be much appreciated, or an up to date grid would be ok too.

thx

Theres 120 seats, hard to tell how many are sitting them because different numbers come in each day. I think there might be more seats than candidates though. Because there are 4 blocks, each block has 6 down and 5 across. It was the exact same layout last April.

How many in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

page1 wrote: »
    I reckon pretty much the same, institutional q on democratic deficit/increased powers of parliament , maybe not FR as came up last time ,enforcement proc or prel ref.

I also think maybe the doctrine of subsidiarity over Art 114/Fundamental rights cos it has a major Lisbon slant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Hogzy wrote: »
    Theres 120 seats, hard to tell how many are sitting them because different numbers come in each day. I think there might be more seats than candidates though. Because there are 4 blocks, each block has 6 down and 5 across. It was the exact same layout last April.

How many in Dublin?

1188 seats.

Speaking as one of the last candidates ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

What areas can be left out/are bankers (apart from Succession)?

Really finding it hard to get a grasp of the topics.:o Had a look at the past papers but don't have last years so if someone could briefly lists the topics involved in the 8 questions I would be really grateful!

Hope everyone has been getting on ok so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mariaod

What areas can be left out/are bankers (apart from Succession)?

Really finding it hard to get a grasp of the topics.:o Had a look at the past papers but don't have last years so if someone could briefly lists the topics involved in the 8 questions I would be really grateful!

Hope everyone has been getting on ok so far

March 2010

1.family property
    2.question on-equitys darling
    -judgment mort
    -treasure trove
    -commorientes
    3.easments
    4.succession
    5.succussion
    6.ad. possession
    7.licences
    8.co. ownership

what topics have u covered???
    i have left out settled land, licences. landlord and tenant, and covenants, reg and unreg land,

think i have left out too much tho??

has ''settled land'' been affected much by the 2009 new act??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

mariaod wrote: »
    March 2010

1.family property
    2.question on-equitys darling
    -judgment mort
    -treasure trove
    -commorientes
    3.easments
    4.succession
    5.succussion
    6.ad. possession
    7.licences
    8.co. ownership

what topics have u covered???
    i have left out settled land, licences. landlord and tenant, and covenants, reg and unreg land,

think i have left out too much tho??

basically covering everything at the moment from the 2009 independent manual....still wounded from constitutional so can't bear the thought of getting caught out again.

think i might end up leaving out one or two things, prob hybrid estates (fee farm grant), settled land, then depending on what the frequency of qs that appeared in march I'll drop another one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

I'm leaving out Settled Land, Fee Farm Grants and Family Property. Just can't take in any more info! Pretty sickened after constitutional as well, hope property goes better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fifi8_4

Seem to have lost my April 2010 exam paper and report. Could anyone put up the Equity topics that came up that time? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Is anyone else absolutely EXHAUSTED! I am a wreck, had tort and company and still not right and my study for equity is not going well at all. Is nothing we can do about this two days in a row crack it is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

blathblath wrote: »
    Is anyone else absolutely EXHAUSTED! I am a wreck, had tort and company and still not right and my study for equity is not going well at all. Is nothing we can do about this two days in a row crack it is ridiculous!

Totally agree, the sequential exams are tough physically. I'm home after EU, hadn't a bulls notion so left after 45 minutes and there was a big exodus with me - I only sat it to make up my four, hoping for three. I have a stye in my eye from reading and a spasm in my leg muscle from sitting down so I'm feeling a bit battered as well at this point! Property next week then I'm clear.

With all that said, I've met bright sparks who sat and got all eight in one go. If I were advising someone at the outset again, I'd say get the FE1s done while you are in college - begin in 2nd year, study during the summers and sit them in the autumn. You don't have to graduate first as I was told wrongly in UL, you can do a general knowledge and english test and then you can sit the FE1s. I would also advise doing tort, equity and contract all together because there is so much cross-over, and possibly property law with them. If I had done these exams when I was in college I would have flown through them because I had it all pretty much off already. Going back over old notes is a bugger.

JC

I was also told that in UL! And I totally agree, I would be flying through them if I was still in college. And yes exhaustion is setting in. Anyone who sits them all together and passes them deserves some sort of national recognition! I don't know how they do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

ShindyB wrote: »
    I was also told that in UL! And I totally agree, I would be flying through them if I was still in college. And yes exhaustion is setting in. Anyone who sits them all together and passes them deserves some sort of national recognition! I don't know how they do it!

Would you want somebody like that as your lawyer? I'd get on better with someone who spent their time in College up to the usual pursuits as Ray Friel described in relation to Hamer v Siddaway ;-)

JC

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Would you want somebody like that as your lawyer? I'd get on better with someone who spent their time in College up to the usual pursuits as Ray Friel described in relation to Hamer v Siddaway ;-)

JC

Well god knows I gave it my best shot when I was in UL!

I'm leaving out Settled Land, Fee Farm Grants and Family Property. Just can't take in any more info! Pretty sickened after constitutional as well, hope property goes better.

hasn't fee farm grants been abolished by section 12 of the 2009 act??

Yes I think so. Any attempt to create one from now on actually creates a fee simple but any that exist at the moment remain unchanged.

Yes I think so. Any attempt to create one from now on actually creates a fee simple but any that exist at the moment remain unchanged.

have u covered licences and covenants? have they been affected much by the 2009 act, my manual is from last year so its a pian i have to keep refering to the act and its putting me off, i dont have a clue wat im supposed to bee learning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Well holy fuck, that was probably the hardest FE-1 I've sat :mad:

Problem questions were pretty tough and issues not the easiest to determine. One of them ran to nearly two pages in length which was ridiculous for the amount of time you had and it was fully of useless waffle. I don't even want to know what everyone thought the issues are as my answers were probably wrong...

I might have done enough to pass but it's very hard to say

• Advertisement

mariaod wrote: »
    have u covered licences and covenants? have they been affected much by the 2009 act, my manual is from last year so its a pian i have to keep refering to the act and its putting me off, i dont have a clue wat im supposed to bee learning

As licences came up as a full question last time I wouldn't say it's awfully important. Just know how to define one and the 3 types. The only way I looked at licences was in regards to the lease-licence distinction.
    I've done covenants alright, as they have been changed by the 2009 Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ally10

Well EU was absolutely HORRIFIC!!!! judging by the amount of people who left early im not the only one...very unfair paper..not even a question on the institutions..they have been up every paper!!!!!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 neenee

what came up on the EU exam?

neenee wrote: »
    what came up on the EU exam?

Fundamental Rights
    General Principles Subsidiarity, Proportionality/ Transparency
    Brussels I Reg
    MS Liability/A 267/ Direct Effect
    Casenote
    Goods/Services/Establishment
    Citizenship/Workers
    Equality/ Art 101(1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

ally10 wrote: »
    Well EU was absolutely HORRIFIC!!!! judging by the amount of people who left early im not the only one...very unfair paper..not even a question on the institutions..they have been up every paper!!!!!
    :mad:

Tough exam. Not sure if I passed it. Along with Tort this was another shocking paper. Way too long.

Minor topics taking up full questions. A truck load of waffle. Bad structure.

Nothing on institutions. Question on equality that was WAY too long. A question about viewing the records in the EU Institutions. Madness.

Compared to the last 2 years papers, this way way way tougher. I just don't understand why make the paper more difficult. They should not change like this.

The exams are very difficult this year. We all know why. The examiners must have been under instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Hey
    I'm planning on starting my first four fe1s in November with Eu, Tort Criminal and Contract being my first.
    i'll be doing the online revision course with griffith college.
    Did anyone do these subjects together? I finished college in May and Eu was my last subject and that with Tort would be my strongest areas so believe it would be better to start with strongest areas first seeing as you need to pass three out of four on your first sitting.
    Also, did anyone do the griffith online course for the Fe1s? Only know one person that done the on line course but they done it for the Kings Inns exams and passed them first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 runfortheborder

Whats everyone expecting on equity on Monday?

steph86 wrote: »
    Hey
    I'm planning on starting my first four fe1s in November with Eu, Tort Criminal and Contract being my first.
    i'll be doing the online revision course with griffith college.
    Did anyone do these subjects together? I finished college in May and Eu was my last subject and that with Tort would be my strongest areas so believe it would be better to start with strongest areas first seeing as you need to pass three out of four on your first sitting.
    Also, did anyone do the griffith online course for the Fe1s? Only know one person that done the on line course but they done it for the Kings Inns exams and passed them first time.

I would advise taking equity with contract and possibly property too; good bit of overlap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Charitable. Injunctions probably Mareva. Undue influence, tracing, trusteeship! it's too hard to call but at least there are somewhat bankers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Jev/N wrote: »
    I would advise taking equity with contract and possibly property too; good bit of overlap

Thanks, I was planning on leaving equity and property to do together as i had heard there was some element of overlap, wasn't sure about contract. Haven't done contract since first year at college but its a pretty condense area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement