Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It was presumed undue influence.

So Class 2A/B is what's needed (in my opinion) and an analysis of how that reflects what the judge said 1. exercising independent will 2. public policy.

Thought equity was a very nice paper - let's see if I still think that come results time.
    QUOTE]

I thought so too. Nice paper and re Q2. Alot of the questions were the same as previous papers, tracing and trustee question especially

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

That was the nicest of the papers so far. I felt confident that I could pass on all five questions. Really needed it after EUthanise me now. Lets hope the curve continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

law86 wrote: »
    That was the nicest of the papers so far. I felt confident that I could pass on all five questions. Really needed it after EUthanise me now. Lets hope the curve continues.

Care to share what came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    QUES: how is it decided if you will be tried in the district court or the circuit court?
    as i understand-both are courts of limited and local jurisdiction- and try only summary offenses. district court only has judge whereas circuit has judge and jury when it is a court of first instance and also has appellate jurisdiction in that it can hear appeals. so my question is- if Z was tried for a minor offense - in what instances would he be heard before the district court and what instances would he be before the circuit courts......

Thanks a mill!!!

never mind- picked that up wrong- circuit courts are trial on indictment.

Spec perf/rectification
    Undue influence
    Estoppel
    Poverty Charitable/Mand Interlocutory/Quistclose 2 of 3
    Tracing
    Joint Bank Accounts RT
    Duties of a Tee (I think, I skipped)
    Constitution of Trusts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

Spec perf/rectification
    Undue influence
    Estoppel
    Poverty Charitable/Mand Interlocutory/Quistclose 2 of 3
    Tracing
    Joint Bank Accounts RT
    Duties of a Tee (I think, I skipped)
    Constitution of Trusts

Thanks.

No full injunction question?

never mind- picked that up wrong- circuit courts are trial on indictment.

Also a judge in the DC may refuse jurisdiction if s/he feels it is a crime of moral obliquity, requiring a fuller hearing. Melling v O'Mathghamhna gives a good guide.

fe1ready wrote: »
    Thanks.

No full injunction question?

No, nonetheless a nice enough paper (I thought).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Seems like the general consensus is that it was a good paper, hopefully criminal will follow the same route!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fifi8_4

Yes positive start to the week with that equity paper!

Apart from Sexual Offences, Property Offences and Non Fatal offences what other areas are people covering for Criminal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

fifi8_4 wrote: »
    Yes positive start to the week with that equity paper!

Apart from Sexual Offences, Property Offences and Non Fatal offences what other areas are people covering for Criminal?

Fatal offenses and Defenses just CANNOT under ANY circumstance be left out.
    Trial in Due course of law has come up in every paper since April 2007.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Fatal offenses and Defenses just CANNOT under ANY circumstance be left out.
    Trial in Due course of law has come up in every paper since April 2007.

I would also cover the courts and perjury/contempt - reason being i think they will be testing the less popular areas as well.

i think almost everything has to be covered with this exam. i think ill leave out classification of crime and defn of crime though as i just dont have time.

3.00pm now :eek:

I would also cover the courts and perjury/contempt - reason being i think they will be testing the less popular areas as well.

i think almost everything has to be covered with this exam. i think ill leave out classification of crime and defn of crime though as i just dont have time.

i think inchoate offenses and omissions can be left out as well- came up last year - cant really see it coming up again as other areas havent been tested in a while-IMO.

I would also cover the courts

+1, hasnt come up in the last 2 sittings so its "Due" an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

No, nonetheless a nice enough paper (I thought).

I thought so too. Very fair.

I was banking on DMC and Mareva's coming up, but still could have had a bash at seven of the questions. The first one being the only one I hadn't fully prepared, since SP wasn't expected this time.

i think inchoate offenses and omissions can be left out as well- came up last year - cant really see it coming up again as other areas havent been tested in a while-IMO.

Eh you might wanna rethink that regarding inchoate offences, they're on pretty much every paper

Also advise doing arrest,detention,bail,silence and innocence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

In criminal he pretty much examines the whole course and mixes the questions. My advice is to cover pretty much everything and have a good all round knowledge.

That was my approach last year and I did well in it.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Eh you might wanna rethink that regarding inchoate offences, they're on pretty much every paper

I wouldnt say that. THey have only come up 6 out of the last 11 sittings. On the other hand i wouldnt leave them out either. ;)

I wouldnt say that. THey have only come up 6 out of the last 11 sittings. On the other hand i wouldnt leave them out either. ;)

According to my grid:

Conspiracy - 11/11
    Attempt - 8/11
    Incitement - 3/11

According to my grid:

Conspiracy - 11/11
    Attempt - 8/11
    Incitement - 3/11

According to the Griffith Grid it didnt come up in Oct and April 2009, April 2008, October and April 2005. Strange. What grid are you using?

Folks could someone give me a brief overview Of criminal capacity and ages where one is permitted to consent to sex lawfully.

In relation to the age of 12. Is it 12 and under in which a child cannot be charged for a crime or just under 12. I know if you're over 10 you can be charged with Murder, Manslaughter, S4 Rape or Agg. Sexual Assault.
    And in relation to the age of 14 is it 14 and under that the judge must decide if you knew the act was actually wrong or is it under 14 only.

Secondly is Mistake a FULL defense to murder (eg i shoot a man dressed as a bear thinking im about to be savaged by a grizzly.) will that reduce it to Manslaughter or be a full defense?

• Advertisement

According to the Griffith Grid it didnt come up in Oct and April 2009, April 2008, October and April 2005. Strange. What grid are you using?

Using the Independent Colleges Grid, they mostly come up as a subsidiary issue in Problems but if you know the topic, it's relatively easy to spot and get some extra marks.

If you see two accused in a question, conspiracy should spring to mind straight away.

Using the Independent Colleges Grid, they mostly come up as a subsidiary issue in Problems but if you know the topic, it's relatively easy to spot and get some extra marks.

If you see two accused in a question, conspiracy should spring to mind straight away.

Yeah defo. Strange that griffith excluded it. Can you tell me what Q in OCT and APRIL 2009 involved inchoate Offenses. Couldnt be arsed going through the whole paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

It came up. Remeber doing it.

Equity was a good paper today. Now freedom. good luck in the rest of them gang.

Yeah defo. Strange that griffith excluded it. Can you tell me what Q in OCT and APRIL 2009 involved inchoate Offenses. Couldnt be arsed going through the whole paper...

It doesn't say the Q number in the grids but on a quick glance...

Oct 09- 1,2, possibly 6
    Apr 09- 8

It doesn't say the Q number in the grids but on a quick glance...

Oct 09- 1,2, possibly 6
    Apr 09- 8

Feck sake - I wonder what else is missing from my grid :mad:

Feck sake - I wonder what else is missing from my grid :mad:

If you have the exam reports, he often mentions attempt or conspiracy so you can get an idea in which questions they are

I'd say the grid just covers the 2-3 most significant topics in a question and leaves out the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rick flair

First night of freedom , no books or computer. Best of luck to all and hope we are cheering come up exam.

I really think this Thread should have some sort of Database for uploads and downloads - one for the moderator.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Evening all! (good luck with crim tomorrow)

The 2009 act has only gone and fcuked up easements for me! *shakes fist*

Anyone have a clear idea of whats going on now, what the major changes are?

from what i gather:

The 4 essential characteristics from Re Ellenborough are still the same?

the 3 questions that must be negated are still the same? (was right conferred? too vague? mere recreational right?)

Under the Acquisition of an easement, s40? abolishes wheeldon, invokes a small dual test, but doesnt touch implied grants by necessity, derogation or common intention?? What about section 6 of the 1881 act...can that still make an implied easement?

Presumed grant/prescription: only by statute now? s.35?

Am i missing anything?? That all sounds very smart above but i used my notes! :D I havent a clue!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

@No Quarter - there's an article directly on it on westlaw.ie by Tomas Bailey, the title is 'Stuck in the Past—The Failure of the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 to Modernise the Law of Easements in Ireland' he goes through it all thoroughly.

JC

average guitar player but I have a Martin so it sounds good :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thanks JCJCJC but theres no way in hell im reading 19 pages at this stage, i dont care that much!! :D

Ive went through the memo on the act with a fine comb there and its as i said in my questions. The only problem is that sections 34 - 38 which set out prescription or presumed grants are really quite complex, either that or im wrecked but i couldnt get my head around whats going on!

Very tough act to read!

Ive only covered

succession
    adverse possession
    family property &
    easements

Thats it! im praying that will cover 5 questions. I might have half a stab at another topic tomorrow....any suggestions?? Did the courses give any bankers?? or any hot tips?

Cheers!

(extraordinarily bad guitarist by the time these exams are over id say)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement