Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

legalstuff wrote: »
    How important are up to date law manuals? Would a manuals from 2008 from the likes of Independant or Griffith be out of date or has the common law not moved that quickly? Obviously for the likes of EU with the Lisbon Treaty coming in I know you need an up to date manual, but what about the likes of criminal, tort, contract etc? Would using a manual from 2008 be dodgy or risky at all?
    I would get the most up to date ones (1 year old max). There are quite a few changes in the manuals year to year - one key change that is helpful is (at least in the independent manuals) that they discuss prior exam topics and give you an idea of what is likely to arise/not arise based on past papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 n0_bunny

Anyone selling FE1 Equity and constitutional manuals? PM me, i'm game ;)

There is a thread for ads and requests for manuals. There have been multiple thread warnings and a general mod warning in the title. This is the final warning, infractions will be issued in the future.

Sorry to have to be a hardass, but we're really trying to keep this thread on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

A question on a recent application form is bugging me.....basically they want a recent commercial law story that is of interest to you...obviously they want it to be positive but everything ive being looking up or have decided to write on is a tad depressing!!!
    Just wondering if anyone has an idea how to answer this quetion ive been looking up cases and all that too
    Also whats the difference between a corporate law firm and a commercial law firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

cd.galway wrote: »
    A question on a recent application form is bugging me.....basically they want a recent commercial law story that is of interest to you...obviously they want it to be positive but everything ive being looking up or have decided to write on is a tad depressing!!!
    Just wondering if anyone has an idea how to answer this quetion ive been looking up cases and all that too
    Also whats the difference between a corporate law firm and a commercial law firm?

You'd probably be best off asking that over at the 'How many PFOs thread'

While I'm here though -

First off, there is no real difference between corporate and commercial, same kind of firms, generally big 5 firms deal in the vast majority of areas of law with the exception of criminal usually

As regards a specific case, tough one, perhaps the recent UPC decision? A and Ls were acting for UPC, dunno who were acting for the plaintiff but probably one of the other big 5 anyway. Read more about it at TJ McIntyre's blog or A and L's IP Law blog which is something like irelandip.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

Cheers for the reply Aresenal1986

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Read the papers, never mind cases - that's too narrow a view of things... much of commercial/corporate is about deals, contracts, etc.

As Arsenal1986 no firm is either corporate or commercial, they'll have departments of each within the firm itself

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Impecuniousity being re-surrected as as defence to a specific performance action? Got a lot of coverage...

Impecuniousity being re-surrected as as defence to a specific performance action? Got a lot of coverage...

Just make sure you know what you're writing about inside out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

up to my neck in applications the amount of time and effort i put in to them all realli not worth the standard insert name here PFO letter???? Im realli tempted to write something off the wall

....after overcoming my crack addiction and being hauled in front of the district court a number of times i knew law was for me, Im very interested in applying to ur firm as i hear the MD has had a string of affairs and is a transvestite, a recent commerical issue that i found interesting is the convertion of the euro coin into note form, uv no idea how coins can weigh down ur g- string.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Liverpoollad

Just a quick question regarding Independent and Griffith Colleges. I recently done the Property FE1 prepatory course with Independent colleges and didn't find it great to be honest. The lady lecturer seemed very nice but I didn't learn a great deal from her, the manual was very skimpy with very little case law, in fact most of the case law was just referenced. I didn't get to sit the Property FE1 exam last time and will be attepting to sit it in March/April. I was just wondering should I repeat Property with Independent Colleges or go to Griffith College for the Property FE1 prepatory course. I also struggled with property law in University so maybe it's just me and the Independent Colleges property lecturer is just fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just a quick question regarding Independent and Griffith Colleges. I recently done the Property FE1 prepatory course with Independent colleges and didn't find it great to be honest. The lady lecturer seemed very nice but I didn't learn a great deal from her, the manual was very skimpy with very little case law, in fact most of the case law was just referenced. I didn't get to sit the Property FE1 exam last time and will be attepting to sit it in March/April. I was just wondering should I repeat Property with Independent Colleges or go to Griffith College for the Property FE1 prepatory course. I also struggled with property law in University so maybe it's just me and the Independent Colleges property lecturer is just fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    It's just my personal preference but Independent is far better than Griffith for lecturer standard and quality IMO.

OisinT wrote: »
    It's just my personal preference but Independent is far better than Griffith for lecturer standard and quality IMO.

Except for Property (IMO) and I can vouch for that :pac:

Jev/N wrote: »
    Except for Property (IMO) and I can vouch for that :pac:
    PM me who the lecturer is :D I'm intrigued now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I also struggled with property law in University so maybe it's just me and the Independent Colleges property lecturer is just fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Property is a very hard call because of the new 2009 Act which is law since 1st January 2010. It hasn't appeared directly yet on the FE1 exam, and it wasn't even on the syllabus in March - very controversial here at the time. It finally popped up on the syllabus for the Sept-Oct exams just past, but didn't show on the paper to any great extent. My personal guess is that the likelihood of a direct question on it must be increasing, so maybe in March 2011 it will appear? It affects so many areas that you have to know it, so get going by reading and studying the Act and the explanatory memo first, and that is a very big task in itself.
    After that, there are a few banker areas that you can cover that appear regularly, like treasure trove, easements/profits-a-prendre, co-ownership, lease/license and adverse possession. Succession is a MUST, two questions on most papers. Personally I don't find those areas very complicated, they sort-of stand apart from each other and are easy to learn. I usually read the relevant chapter in Pearse & Mee for a general overview of the topics, then read the chapter in Lyall and Wylie for greater detail and more cases. For succession, know the fact pattern and outcomes of the cases, especially around formalities, capacity and witnessing etc and also moral duty. The examiner tends to offer fact patterns that correspond with big cases. Know how the new act affects old law, that's why I say do the Act first.

For moral duty and adverse possession, there are a few up-to-date articles on the online databases that are dead-on. all the fresh case-law and opinion is there. Some of the UK law firms and barristers' chambers have on-line notes on Pye v Graham which seemed to be a rumbling volcano in adverse possession law for a while, but it has settled down again. Their summaries are concise and sharp.
    Maybe there are more areas covered on the databases that I haven't found.

I was reasonably ok at property law in college, did my fyp on adverse possession etc, so I have passed it already in the FE1 with most of the above - however I haven't a bulls notion on some of the complex stuff like restrictive covenants on unregistered leasehold land, family property etc - a mystery to me! Pick the easy stuff and view each topic as a stand-alone area. You'll need five questions, succession will give you two and AP will probably give you another one, maybe the new Act will come up in March?

Best of luck

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

presuming that Emma Callanan is still the property lecture in GCD I would go to her even if she was twice the price of IC. she knows the course so well ad can easily simplify difficult topics. she is one of the best lectures I ever had

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I have to disagree about the Property GCD online course being fantastic, I really didn't like the online lectures at all. I found it really frustrating being told the most random things could come up in the exam which have never featured and are unlikely to feature. Maybe this could be attributed to the fact that the LCLRA has changed everything and no one really knows what's going to feature on the exam. I wouldn't do the course again. It would be much better if we could just buy the manuals on their own without having to pay so much for an online course that I only watched maybe 2 lectures of.

presuming that Emma Callanan is still the property lecture in GCD I would go to her even if she was twice the price of IC. she knows the course so well ad can easily simplify difficult topics. she is one of the best lectures I ever had
    She is a good lecturer and a very nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Call Me Ishmael

I have to agree with liverpoollad here. I also registered with ICD for property but did not sit the exam for a multitude of reasons. I found the property lectures and manual bewildering. Case law being referenced at the bottom of the page seems to impair the importance of seminal cases to people new to studying the law like me. It was quite frustrating....

I also found the equity manuals far too large and unstructured to be of much benefit to me.....there was very few seminal cases highlighted so if you missed a lecture and did not haev time to view em online I had to try and wade through reams of meandering paragraphs and guessing which might be the most relevant....

I think I am going to join GCD this week for the March exams.....hope they are better but cannot be sure....

Anyone any ideas on what date the law exams are on in 2011?

Someone PM me the name of the property lecturer in ICD? I'm intrigued as to who it is.

I thought the GCD person was someone whose name started with K but obviously that's not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

Hey guys,

I am about to register for the EU course which unfortnately clashes with something both on the thurs and the sat for me. If I register do I still have access to the online resource lectures etc?

Another quick question - does anybody know if you can register for a course late ie after the Fe1 results? Don't want to spend 1200e if I only definitely need to spend 400e!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

A quick question for all you legal eagles!

I want to sit four exams next Spring 2011 and then the remaining four exams at the next sitting in the Autumn 2011.

Is it possible to do this?

Can I choose the subjects I want to sit?

So if that is the case......can I enroll at GCD to do four subjects now and then the remaining four at the next course for the Autumn?

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Dilynnio wrote: »
    A quick question for all you legal eagles!

I want to sit four exams next Spring 2011 and then the remaining four exams at the next sitting in the Autumn 2011.

Is it possible to do this?

Can I choose the subjects I want to sit?

So if that is the case......can I enroll at GCD to do four subjects now and then the remaining four at the next course for the Autumn?

Many thanks in advance.

The answer to every question you asked is YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

Another quick question - does anybody know if you can register for a course late ie after the Fe1 results? Don't want to spend 1200e if I only definitely need to spend 400e!

Thanks in advance

Im the same im not sure if i passed of failed??? if a register can i then change my subjects???? Confused??!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Hogzy wrote: »
    The answer to every question you asked is YES

Many thanks for that.

Just one more question.......Are there fees then to pay to sit each exam and if so approx how much?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    Im the same im not sure if i passed of failed??? if a register can i then change my subjects???? Confused??!

The easiest thing to do (and quickest) is to contact the institution of your choice. You can be sure its a matter which has been dealt with time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Many thanks for that.

Just one more question.......Are there fees then to pay to sit each exam and if so approx how much?

Thanks in advance!

Each exam is €110.

The prep courses for each exam are around the €400 mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

When are the results out does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ananas wrote: »
    When are the results out does anyone know?

I just searched through the pages of this thread. Seems to be the end of November that the results are released. First post last year was on the 30/11/2010

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone anyway! And sure, don't forget your friendly mods in the LD forum :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement