Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lawblah

Can anyone tell me the length of the fe1 exams? is it 4 or 5 questions? and what time they are usually held?

have to plan tactical studying along with booking flights home..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭June2008

So only bout 7wks to go...

has anyone gotten tips yet from any of your courses? Im doin the Constitutional and Tort course in Griffith but no formal tips yet.. im especially interested in the EU course..specifically if State Aids or Principles of Equality are tipped?

will post mine when i get them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

o.k. i'm starting to get really nervous now. Trying to study like mad but working full time i'm finding it hard. I only have the two weeks off that the exams cover. I'm doing 4 exams in total so I would appreciate any tips that anyone can give. Especially in Equity!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

how many topics are people doing on average per subject?

hada wrote: »
    how many topics are people doing on average per subject?

i'm doing six topics and hoping for the best really. its all I can cram in at the moment. the exams seem to be just creeping up on me so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 kareena

Hi guys,

I'm working full time in a solicitors office, doing Independent colleges course part time. I'm on my second sitting now trying to get the first 3 of the FE1's. Criminal, property and company this time round (timetable suited me this way!) Equity is the fourth but I plan to literally just sit there for the 30 mins - might be inspired closer to the exams!! Who knows!

Anyone else on this thread working full time too? I know I'm not alone - how are you finding it?

I think you definately get out of the exams what you put into them and experience is the best teacher! Good luck to you all!!;)

kareena wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm working full time in a solicitors office, doing Independent colleges course part time. I'm on my second sitting now trying to get the first 3 of the FE1's. Criminal, property and company this time round (timetable suited me this way!) Equity is the fourth but I plan to literally just sit there for the 30 mins - might be inspired closer to the exams!! Who knows!

Anyone else on this thread working full time too? I know I'm not alone - how are you finding it?

I think you definately get out of the exams what you put into them and experience is the best teacher! Good luck to you all!!;)

Hi Kareena I am in exactly the same boat as you. I'm working full time in a solicitors office. I have completed the BA in DIT. This is my first attempt at teh FE1's i'm doing four of them. Its harder than I thought but I actually enjoy studying so I think I might do o.k. Once I pass them first time I'll be grand because I'm terrible for just giving up and leaving it.

Hi pampers1:)

Snap! I did my BA in DIT too, then took a year out, then started to "study" for FE1's with ind. colleges, all the while working full time. I know that 1st time round, I didn't study properly. I half heartedly attended lectures and went over briefly the core areas in each exam. I never even attempted a question! How niaive was I!!! You really do live and learn and as a result, its full steam ahead for this time!

Hats off to you too! You've obviously decided to give it your all this time and fair play to you. I think you really have to give it your best shot. I know its tough working full time, by the time you get home in the evenings the last thing you want to to is attempt exam questions after a stressful day at work!! :confused:

I'd just say don't be too disheartened if you don't get them first time. It can take people several attempts to get them. My theory is, once I get the first three I can take them at my leisure then, one at a time if needs be!!!! What subjects are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wanisha

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this forum but I have been reading it on and off for a while and think its great. I am doing 4 FE1's in October,I have done the LLB, am doing the Griffith course in all four and am working full time in a solicitors. Unfortunately I dont feel like I have near enough study done, I have been reading the Griffith material all along and am taking 5 weeks off work so hopefully i will manage to cram enough in to my brian to pass 3 (4 if everything goes really well:o) in that time, am I being realistic?

Anyway guys if any of ye have tips or advice it would be gratefully appreciated.

Wanisha wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this forum but I have been reading it on and off for a while and think its great. I am doing 4 FE1's in October,I have done the LLB, am doing the Griffith course in all four and am working full time in a solicitors. Unfortunately I dont feel like I have near enough study done, I have been reading the Griffith material all along and am taking 5 weeks off work so hopefully i will manage to cram enough in to my brian to pass 3 (4 if everything goes really well:o) in that time, am I being realistic?

Anyway guys if any of ye have tips or advice it would be gratefully appreciated.

hi there your obviously in teh same boat as myself and Kareena here. Its great to know that I'm not the only one thank god. Working full time is really hard when your trying to study. I have my books in work with me for when i'm not too busy I can do a bit of reading. Every little helps I suppose. Best of luck with everything What exams are you doing. PM Me if you need to rant!!:confused:

• Advertisement

Hi wanisha,

yeah, its tough going alright having to work full time and study! We are gluttons for punishment! On the bright side though, you lucky thing having all those holidays!! I literally have the days of the exams off! My mortgage wouldn't get paid otherwise!!!:D

I think we're all in the same position re. the hints!! :o good luck guys!

pampers1 wrote: »
    hi there your obviously in teh same boat as myself and Kareena here. Its great to know that I'm not the only one thank god. Working full time is really hard when your trying to study. I have my books in work with me for when i'm not too busy I can do a bit of reading. Every little helps I suppose. Best of luck with everything What exams are you doing. PM Me if you need to rant!!:confused:

ha thats funny i bring my books to and do some sneeky study, i never thought that i would be skivving in that way. i am lucky that i have the holidays btu 3 weeks is annnual leave days which means no actual holidays, it better be all worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

Hi all,

Hope yer all keeping well and not too stressed and this point. I'm currently on my last 2 - Constitutional and EU... I have sat Constitutional 3 times before and I just can't for the life of my pass!!! What am I doing wrong... All other exams were fine but I just can't get this one. .... Also has anyone any tips on EU.... recurring topics etc..

All help and tips welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

Hey,
    I`m new to this room. Just wondered if everyone received a reply from the Law Society to acknowledge payment for the exam fees? I sent a cheque and my application form almost 2 weeks ago, but haven`t heard back. Tried ringing them but they couldn`t tell me whether they got it or not.

Chinner wrote: »
    Hey,
    I`m new to this room. Just wondered if everyone received a reply from the Law Society to acknowledge payment for the exam fees? I sent a cheque and my application form almost 2 weeks ago, but haven`t heard back. Tried ringing them but they couldn`t tell me whether they got it or not.

Hi there. I sent mine off and I got a response a couple of days later. Maybe you should try to enquire further about it as the closing date has passed and I'm sure all of the receipts should have been sent out at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

Crap! That`s what I thought. Thanks, I`ll just have to try calling them again I guess.

Shinners23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope yer all keeping well and not too stressed and this point. I'm currently on my last 2 - Constitutional and EU... I have sat Constitutional 3 times before and I just can't for the life of my pass!!! What am I doing wrong... All other exams were fine but I just can't get this one. .... Also has anyone any tips on EU.... recurring topics etc..

All help and tips welcome

I have been using the griffith book and fergus ryans nutshells book and they seem to have given me an understanding of constitutional, that said i havent done the exam yet so I could be completely mistaken/

Also in relation to the reciept from the Law Society I recieved my reciept about 5 days after I sent it, which was the 5th of August, did you send it by registered post? you could always check with the post office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Asparagus

To be honest, I don't think the Law Society are going to get all the acknowledgment letters sent out so fast especially those sent in close to the deadline. It says on the application form to expect receipts within 3 weeks of the closing date... which was last Friday. So don't get too worried. I remember having that niggly doubt feeling the last time but they have loads of applications to process like. I sent mine in by courier at 3pm on Friday, which was pretty disorganised of me, but the courier said it was delivered. So exams here I come! aaaarghh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quinner360

Hey,
    was just wondering if antone could tell me what came up in the last property exam (08). Still waiting on a copy from law society

quinner360 wrote: »
    Hey,
    was just wondering if antone could tell me what came up in the last property exam (08). Still waiting on a copy from law society

Question 1 - write about any 2 of the following:

Settled Land Acts
    Trusts of the Family home
    Estoppel Licences
    Property Registration Authority

Question 2 - Mortgages

Question 3 - Adverse possession

Question 4 - write about any two of teh following:

Profits a prendre
    restrictive Freehold covenants and successors in title
    recognition of new types of easements
    Hybrid (freehold and leasehold) estates

Question 5
    - Joint tenants/ tenants in common problem question

Question 6 - Law Reform Commission report on landlord and tenant law in Ireland, tenancy agreements.

Question 7- Succession Act section 117

Question 8 - problem question, formalities of making a Will etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 pokkets

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if anyone out there has a criminal griffith/independant manual for sale?? Kinda been concentrating on the other subjects and starting to really panic now!!
    Cheers

Chinner, I sent in my application on the wed before the deadline - i just received notification yesterday that all is in order. Hope this helps? :D

Yip, I got mine yesterday too. sent in application on Friday. I guess the Law Soc are prompt in responding after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smiley1980

Hi r u selling these if so how can i contact you??

Just sat my first four FE1s in April .. Do many fail first time round ?
    I used Independent Colleges and i have to say they were brilliant ! My issue is that i found both the Company and Contract exams harder than i expected .. i'm praying i pass ! Any recommendation on what i should do if i don't pass should i resit those four or take on new subjects ?
    I have copies of the Company, Contract, Property and Tort Manuals if anybody is interested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Just studying crminal and was wondering what updated acts anyone was using. I know we have the Criminal Law Act 2007 but is anyone also looking at the Criminal Law Sexual Offences Amendment Act 2007.

Anyone doing the courses have both of the above been mentioned. Would appreaciate a reply if possible.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

Hi All,

I'm just starting to study now and I'm doing eu for the second time... Has anyone any tips for me on what areas are most important? I'm bricking it!!:)

Hi can anyone recommend a good study technique for the FE1's. I know it depends on the person and all that but I'd like to know how others are studying for them this September/October.

I have all this paper and books all around me and I just feel overwhelmed by it all and don't know where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is everyone studying for the FE-1's gone into hibernation??

would anyone know where i could get some past example answers of questions for the FE-1's?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Pampers - I am not gone into hibernation yet but I am only sitting one exam criminal. I have not come across sample answers but if you were looking for them the best place to look would be from someone who is doing the Griffith College Course or Independent. Sometimes at the back of their books there may be one or two sample answers but you cant actually buy them. In any event the exams are not ever on any one specific topic most subjects bring in one or more areas unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

pink

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Pink. How come your only doing 1? is that all you have left to do? I just don't know where to start. I keep saying I'm going to just pick a past question and do it but I just keep drawing a blank for some reason. If this is what i'm like now imagine what i'll be like in the actual exam!!! :eek::eek::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement