Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

colonel1 wrote: »
    And an apprenticeship lined up too, that is fab! You lucky person:D No post yet for me, so am still waiting to hear if I got my 1st 3 or indeed 4. Fingers crossed:)

Oh man, I feel really sorry for you! If you get the three enjoy every moment of the glory it is so special for us fe1 slaves :p

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

blathblath wrote: »
    Oh man, I feel really sorry for you! If you get the three enjoy every moment of the glory it is so special for us fe1 slaves :p

PG, I will get them. I couldn't face repeating them. I doubt I got company though.....first exam nerves! You will deffo get company this time around as you have all the time to devote to the one subject. Hopefully, he won't ask meetings yet again and separate legal personality might pop up at long last;)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

For the love of god where is the postman!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

EDIT: Post came. No results :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This happened last bloody year too

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

I'm feeling your pain too Hogzy!!! Havent got mine yet! God I feel sick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Stayed home sick from work and this is my reward:

tort: 51
    company: 51
    EU: 57 (how the examiner passed me on this, let alone gave me 57 is something I will wonder for the rest of my life)

with only property left I am feeling much better now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

Stayed home sick from work and this is my reward:

tort: 51
    company: 51
    EU: 57 (how the examiner passed me on this, let alone gave me 57 is something I will wonder for the rest of my life)

with only property left I am feeling much better now! :D

well done, how did your company exam go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

Congrats. I bet you're so relieved. Still waiting for mine..... Just wondering in relation to Company, how did you feel when you sat the exam? how many questions did you do?? I only answered 4 and Im really nervous about my result today

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pansoul

Passed 4 out of 5 here. In terms of getting higher or lower than what I expected, I definitely got higher in EU - thought I'd probably failed it but scraped up to 50, I imagine because I did 2 very good questions and showed in those that I had some clue about the subject. 2 of my questions were fairly miserable efforts, hardly totally half a page each (though they were the short questions so maybe it's easy enough to scramble a few marks in those).

All the rest tallied with my expectations. Though maybe, but only maybe, a little lower in Company. Failed Tort pretty comprehensively (39%). Not a surprise as it felt horrible at the time. Still, there's great credit due to me as that was the first exam, passed all 4 after that - bouncebackability. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mickalis

Got my post delivered to my house address in Tipperary, nothing worse than someone calling out your results over the phone to you!! Thankfully passed them all, surprising 61 in EU, WTF! Anyway no one understands what it's like to pass them, even my roomies who had to deal with me for the two months of studying, haha, like someone who has actually done the exam!! Now for the new york bar in Feb, joy :P haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 efay

Just got the post there (I'm in County Dublin) - so relieved, passed them all! EU seems to have been nicely marked to compensate for being an awful paper so there's hope yet! :)

62 in Property! I can't believe it, I'm shaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

i am nervous about company! well actually all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

CFOLEY85 wrote: »
    Congrats. I bet you're so relieved. Still waiting for mine..... Just wondering in relation to Company, how did you feel when you sat the exam? how many questions did you do?? I only answered 4 and Im really nervous about my result today

I thought I did well on company, I answered 5 questions and was confident I passed it well. I only got 50%. On the otherhand I thought I failed EU and I got 63% go figure !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dynamokev

Got my first four.

Can't describe how good it feels. Almost as good as sex!

Best of luck to everyone awaiting results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mickalis

dynamokev wrote: »
    Got my first four.

Can't describe how good it feels. Almost as good as sex!

Best of luck to everyone awaiting results.

This is probably the best post on this entire thread, haha!

:DNobody else understands out there they think it's like passing college exams! I am on a high in work it is such self satisfaction my confidence has just escalated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Congrats again to everyone, gonna be another hour before I see mine, as long as the post has actually arrived by then!

Did EU, Tort, Criminal and Condtitutional and hope to God I've done ok in each. Seems that there have been good EU results so that is reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Folks im in dublin, just rang the local post office delivery place, they said that they hadnt sent post out to my area (d12) in 2 days, the post went out today though and its up to the postman if he can get here or not.

The lady said if it hasnt arrived by 3 o clock its ok to go to the delivery office with id and a proof of address and pick up the post!

To top it all off, ive either a PFO or an interview from A & L's with mine!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Got my three to get on the slippery pole at last, contract, tort and property. Got 63 in Contract, big improvement on 45 in March, definitely tactics works better than thoroughness in contract.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Got my three to get on the slippery pole at last, contract, tort and property. Got 63 in Contract, big improvement on 45 in March, definitely tactics works better than thoroughness in contract.

ENJOY every minute! Hearty congrats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mirwin

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Folks im in dublin, just rang the local post office delivery place, they said that they hadnt sent post out to my area (d12) in 2 days, the post went out today though and its up to the postman if he can get here or not.

The lady said if it hasnt arrived by 3 o clock its ok to go to the delivery office with id and a proof of address and pick up the post!

To top it all off, ive either a PFO or an interview from A & L's with mine!! :D

Anyone in Limerick get post??? I have nothing yet.. slowly cracking up......

JCJCJC wrote: »

Any tips re contract tactics. I think you are right about that as knowing all off is nearly impossible. A disappointing flunk for me alas, got 2 and failed 2 of my first four. Am considering whether to go for rechecks, though it is doubtful that one could go from 41 to 50:(

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

post has come and gone and no results. so mad.

Any tips re contract tactics. I think you are right about that as knowing all off is nearly impossible. A disappointing flunk for me alas, got 2 and failed 2 of my first four. Am considering whether to go for rechecks, though it is doubtful that one could go from 41 to 50:(

Aww disappointed for you...keep going though! Personally I think the rechecks are a money racket although I came up 13 % in constitution last year....if you can afford it, give it a go but it is a long shot!

blathblath wrote: »
    Aww disappointed for you...keep going though! Personally I think the rechecks are a money racket although I came up 13 % in constitution last year....if you can afford it, give it a go but it is a long shot!

Thanks:D I think I will chance the recheck, after all you never know! And it sure beats studying for this lot again and paying for classes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

TBH i thought I did really well on company, was the one exam I had no doubts about passing after so 51% was a suprise. But, every time I have felt like I have failed one of these exams I have done much better than I expected, and vice versa, so you really just cannot predict these things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 glee123

Passed my last two... couldn't be happier!!

EU and Constitutional - was fairly convinced I'd failed Constitutional but managed 57!

Goodbye FE1's, not a minute too soon!:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hard luck - I know the feeling, been there. Remember the old latin maxim that applies in this case - nihill illigitemi carborundum sunc - don't let the bastards wear you down. Think of all the thick solicitors you know, they have all got through this process, you'll be fine.

Contract tactics - this worked for me. Looking at the Examiners past papers, all the problems were each directly from the fact pattern of one single case. Therefore, concentrate on the leading Irish case law, and read cases, get to know the colour of the stories. Above all, know how far they went and know the final outcomes, eg Dakota packaging -v- Wyeth was a full question on October, and it went to the SC which reversed the HC, if you knew that you couldn't go wrong.
    Look at the examiner's own textbook to see what recent (c. 07 onwards) Irish cases she thinks are important enough to mention - tip: there's a review on Amazon which lists them, cheaper than buying the bloody book.
    Look through the law databases if you have access, find journal articles published by the examiners, ext and int. Prof Robt Clarke published an article on recovery of damages in Contract last year, full essay question directly on it in October, if you had read his article and knew the cases he cited it was a very easy essay, if there is such a thing, two hours study would have bagged it.
    Concentrate on the old reliables, contract formation - is it/isn't it a contract, know the story of all the cases, the one about sulphur in hops came up last March - Bannerman v White. I think it matters quite a bit if you show in your answer that you have read something more than condensed notes and nutshells, even if it isn't wonderful law - I quoted Ray Friel's comments on Hamer v Sidway where he said that (refraining from) wine, women and song were "the usual third-level pursuits" - irrelevant to the point, but it showed that I'd read the book.
    Other easy areas are mistake, breach and frustration. I find those easy and compact, but each to his own - I could never understand voiding/vitiating factors and a few other things. Do what makes most sense to your self, if you find something like 'mistake as to identity' conceptually easy to grasp, do it, if not, move on to something that comes more easily to you.
    Keep checking on bailii.org for new cases in the SC and HC, the fresher your sources, the better, it seems.

Read Nutshells and Nutcases first to get the basic conceptual framework of your chosen topics, then read a more substantial textbook and you'll understand it much better having first read the easier one. Some authors' styles of writing are easier than others, it's an individual thing. Trietel is a great old classic book on contract, and not hard to read, I find, others are more opaque.

Good luck

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Got Mine in Clare this Morning.... well over the phone from home. passed last three, which is a bit of a surprise because I was sure I'd failed EU and Tort too, but scrapped a 50 in both, roll on PPC course...

Best of Luck to everyone else!!

Don't expect to ever look at this forum again, which is a touch on the sad side, because I've enjoyed the discussions and am very grateful for the invaluable discussions, advice, rants and comments. Thanks to the Mods and contributors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

Congrats to those who passed :D
    I on the otherhand failed my last three...actually in total shock as i thought i'd a good chance with them
    Company answered 5 good questions was really happy with the paper, const answered 5 good questions and EU 4 good questions and 1 dodge one...actually cannot believe it studied sooo so much couldn't have done anymore if i tried!!! this feeling is horrible...don't think i'd be able mentally to put myself through it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement