Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

shaneybaby wrote: »
    I'm not sure the five rule is AFTER your degree. I was doing my fe1s in 2009 after graduating in 2003. I think it's that you have to have all fe1s passed 5 years prior to entry to blackhall. Off the top of my head now with no time to look it up though...

Yeah its defo not 5 years from the date of obtaining your degree..Its five years from the 31st of December on the year that you have passed your first 3 exams if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

colonel1 wrote: »
    I thought the question on consumer protection was really nasty in the autumn 2010 paper and couldn't have answered it as I left out the consumer protection part of the course. Off the top of my head, I recall that one of the problem questions had a lot of issues to answer (I think it was either Q1 or 2 (haven't looked at the exam paper recently)) and I was just mid way through at the close of the exam.
    That consumer protection question was nasty.....and like you I left that area out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

coco13 wrote: »
    Yeah its defo not 5 years from the date of obtaining your degree..Its five years from the 31st of December on the year that you have passed your first 3 exams if that makes sense!
    Ya it is from Dec 31st from when you pass the first 3, said so on the rules sheet as far as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

cd.galway wrote: »
    Hi I'm beginning to start studying now this week...all going well!!! :)
    sitting my final three-EU, Company and Constitutional of which I sat all three in Sept but unfortunately failed all three!!!
    I'm willing to do a prepartory course preferably the Griffith course...due to recessionary times I can only do one(thinking EU due to all the changes) Just wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions on which may be the better course to do?
    Also I seem to have a real problem passing company although i don't find the content too hard as opposed to EU, has anyone else the same prob or is it just me. The questions recently seem to be next nor impossible, especially the directors question. Has the company manual changed much since 2008/2009 with the 2009 Act for those who have the latest manual?

I would say definitely do the Griffith EU course. The lecturer is great simplifying it as much as possible. Also I would imagine EU would be quite difficult (and a bit more boring) to piece together yourself compared to the other two.

I will take a look at the company manual and get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

glengirlie wrote: »
    That consumer protection question was nasty.....and like you I left that area out!!!!

Brian Foley already gave a brilliant answer on that question here - in order to deal competently with the 'harmonisation' question as put, you would need to traverse the domestic consumer law of every member state as it currently stands, and that simply ain't on the syllabus.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Does anyone know if the Griffith one day revision courses are on prior to the March sitting? The website still has details up from the summer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Does anyone know if the Griffith one day revision courses are on prior to the March sitting? The website still has details up from the summer one.

Griffith Law School: 01 4150462

Your best bet is to give them a call but the answer to your question is almost certainly yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Currently arranging timetables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

Q- How may a joint tenancy be SERVED???

does that mean? how does it arise wen u didnt mean it too?? like wen its automatically assumed by common law????

wording is confusing?
    its from March/April 2010 Q.8 if anybody is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    Q- How may a joint tenancy be SERVED???

does that mean? how does it arise wen u didnt mean it too?? like wen its automatically assumed by common law????

wording is confusing?
    its from March/April 2010 Q.8 if anybody is interested.

Severed, not served.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

typo in my past papers?? Embsing too! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Severed, not served.

JT can be severed by:
    1) Alienation
    2)aquisition of a further interest
    3)Commorientes
    4)Homicide
    5)Agreement amongst the joint tenants
    6) Course of dealing

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

glengirlie wrote: »

....And I am going to leave it out again, as I should have more than enough with the other topics to answer 5 questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Hey guys, have lost my co. paper from the last sitting can anyone remind me as to what came up please.

blathblath wrote: »
    Hey guys, have lost my co. paper from the last sitting can anyone remind me as to what came up please.

Also has anyone gotten the examiners report? Any idea of the pass rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

blathblath wrote: »

Off the top of my head, there was a question on director's meetings, a question on the Rule in Turquand/Indoor management rule and a tricky question on borrowing (specifically retention of title clauses and registration of charges), there was also a question on statutory restrictions on director's transactions etc (e.g. s26 CA 1990 and s29 CA 1990 -I recall being a bit uncertain about that question -toss up between s31 and s29 CA 1990). The rest is a bit of a blur, though no benefits of incorporation or separate legal personality question alas!

I just ordered my copy of the Examiner's report from the Law Society, and will be very interested to see the company law pass rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Is two months enough time to study for three exams (criminal, contract, tort) for a law graduate?

I really need to think about this. The cost of registering for exams, travel (currently based in Cork) and accomodation in Dublin is slightly prohibitive.

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

2040 wrote: »
    Is two months enough time to study for three exams (criminal, contract, tort) for a law graduate?

I really need to think about this. The cost of registering for exams, travel (currently based in Cork) and accomodation in Dublin is slightly prohibitive.

Opinions?

Yeah easily, but no messing about with the study, you gotta give it a lot of effort, but 2 months is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

2040 wrote: »

Opinions?

I would say that it is plenty of time especially since criminal and contract are reasonably short. I did three more 'bulky' ones the last time around in the same time frame and passed them all in the 60s. I did around four days study most weeks to write out notes and about two full (7day) weeks for learning off and doing questions running up to the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 faubo

I've only recently found out - in my interviews - that some of the Big 5 have a three sittings rule for the FE1s. If you don't pass within three sittings, they rescind their offer. I purposefully broke my FE1s up to enable me to work as I studied, so I've done six over two sittings. I have EU and Constitutional left, both of which seem to be very difficult exams. I'm now terrified that if I fail one, I won't get a second chance to sit it, and I'll lose my training contract. Does anyone here know people this has happened to? Are the firms always strict about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dynamokev

Who do you have the training contract with? I know that this is the case with A&L but not entirely sure with the other firms. I think with MOP and Cox, you just have to have them all successfully completed by the start of your contract. This condition should be stipulated in the contract you get.

Also with two and a half months to study for only 2 Fe1s, you really shouldn't be thinking of failing them anyway. You have plenty of time and now the added incentive to ensure you get them.
    faubo wrote: »
    I've only recently found out - in my interviews - that some of the Big 5 have a three sittings rule for the FE1s. If you don't pass within three sittings, they rescind their offer. I purposefully broke my FE1s up to enable me to work as I studied, so I've done six over two sittings. I have EU and Constitutional left, both of which seem to be very difficult exams. I'm now terrified that if I fail one, I won't get a second chance to sit it, and I'll lose my training contract. Does anyone here know people this has happened to? Are the firms always strict about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I passed 3 out of the last 4 in my last sitting.

If i do three now do i have to pass 2 out of the 3 do pass any of them or if i fail 2 and pass one can i add that one to my list of passed subjects?

Im very confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Hogzy wrote: »
    I passed 3 out of the last 4 in my last sitting.

If i do three now do i have to pass 2 out of the 3 do pass any of them or if i fail 2 and pass one can i add that one to my list of passed subjects?

Im very confused?

Once you have your first three got..you can tick them off one by one if you choose within the 5 year rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 faubo

I've offers from A&L and McCanns and I'm trying to choose between them. McCanns have a rule you have to complete within three consecutive sittings. A&L you just have to complete within three sittings, but they don't have to be consecutive, so I could at least defer if I felt I needed extra time. I'm sure I probably won't fail, but you never can tell with these exams...
    dynamokev wrote: »
    Who do you have the training contract with? I know that this is the case with A&L but not entirely sure with the other firms. I think with MOP and Cox, you just have to have them all successfully completed by the start of your contract. This condition should be stipulated in the contract you get.

Also with two and a half months to study for only 2 Fe1s, you really shouldn't be thinking of failing them anyway. You have plenty of time and now the added incentive to ensure you get them.

Has anyone received the October examiners report? just ordered mine and very anxious to know the pass rate????

Hi guys, I’m looking for some advice - I’m taking four exams in March (contract, tort, equity and property). I’m just about half way through equity at the moment (working full time, I’ve been doing it for around two weeks), and I’m going to start property before the weekend. I’m finished up working at the end of January, so will be studying full time at that stage. BUT I’m thinking of going to New York for a long weekend from the 3rd – 7th Feb (it’s the right time to go for a variety of reasons, bar obviously the looming FE1s). Can someone please talk me into/out of this idea?! I’m just concerned how long it has taken me to get through half of the equity syllabus, but I’m hoping I will cut through a lot more when I’m not working, and I can study on the plane, right?!

Hi guys, I’m looking for some advice - I’m taking four exams in March (contract, tort, equity and property). I’m just about half way through equity at the moment (working full time, I’ve been doing it for around two weeks), and I’m going to start property before the weekend. I’m finished up working at the end of January, so will be studying full time at that stage. BUT I’m thinking of going to New York for a long weekend from the 3rd – 7th Feb (it’s the right time to go for a variety of reasons, bar obviously the looming FE1s). Can someone please talk me into/out of this idea?! I’m just concerned how long it has taken me to get through half of the equity syllabus, but I’m hoping I will cut through a lot more when I’m not working, and I can study on the plane, right?!

I went to NYC 5 weeks before a sitting of 4 FE1's this time last year. I found it VERY hard to get back into the swing of things. I was suffering from Jet lag for 2-3 days, I found myself to be in a relaxed/party mood for the following few days.
    Ended up failing 3 out of 4 exams. It was my first attempt at them but i definitely would have done better without that NYC trip. One week off turned into two weeks of literally no study.
    Thats me though. You might be different but if it were me i would try move the trip till after the exams. You will enjoy the trip alot more too.

Hogzy wrote: »
    I went to NYC 5 weeks before a sitting of 4 FE1's this time last year. I found it VERY hard to get back into the swing of things. I was suffering from Jet lag for 2-3 days, I found myself to be in a relaxed/party mood for the following few days.
    Ended up failing 3 out of 4 exams. It was my first attempt at them but i definitely would have done better without that NYC trip. One week off turned into two weeks of literally no study.
    Thats me though. You might be different but if it were me i would try move the trip till after the exams. You will enjoy the trip alot more too.

Oh no Hogzy, that doesn't bode too well as a test case! I would be a bit of a procrastinator so I imagine I would suffer for a few days after the trip as you did. Were you working at the time as well or just studying?

Oh no Hogzy, that doesn't bode too well as a test case! I would be a bit of a procrastinator so I imagine I would suffer for a few days after the trip as you did. Were you working at the time as well or just studying?

Just studying unfortunately. I found what i had studied before I went away had turned to much when i came back. I completely let loose in NYC and didnt even think about the exams in anyway. When i arrived home i had that lazy feeling that you have before you start studying. (The "I'll start tomorrow feeling", which goes on for a few days.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

I studied for my first 3 for 3and half weeks (Company, Equity and Contract)...and I passed :). So I would say go...but only you know yourself!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement