Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

I sat four in April and got them. This was my fourth attempt (not trying to put you off). I kept getting two and failing two. I thought each time I was well prepared but then I just fell apart in the exams.

Last October I studied Land Law for four days and passed it and failed Constitutional and Contract. I had previously got these two. Always passed Equity so this March thank god I got the four after a lot of trying.

They are the hardest exams I have ever sat in my life. I am now only sitting Crim and giving EU a go. Last EU paper I heard was a nightmare. Sat exams in Cork and spoke to a few people after the EU. Crim is not too bad just very wide. If you have not picked your subjects yet

Start with Land Law, Contract and Equity as there is an overlap in all of these subjects. Constitutional seems broad but it is not that bad a lot easier than EU. Crim is not too broad either.

Pink

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Pink did you study the exams indepentently? or did you use a revision course?

No and in hindsight I suppose I should have done a course as I think my exam techniques were the problem and my whole approach to the exams.

I am a mature student and did my llb in UL and they definitely did not prepare you for blackhall as we were given all the questions for the exams which of course was great at the time and helped us all get an honours degree but it did not help in the long run when sitting the blackhall exams. I am working fulltime and a course was just not an option for me.

I did attend a crash course in Galway last year for the weekend but I found this course was at end of August which was very late to prepare.

If I had it all over again I would have done a course as I have spoken to people and they have got the exams with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Hi everyone,

I'm sitting the three C's in Sep/Oct and I was hoping for some advice on topics to concentrate on. Here's what im thinking so far.....

Criminal: Sexual Offences, Property, Homicide (covering them indeptly), courts, omissions,recklessness,definition of crime,contempt of court and maybe arrest,detention,presumption of innocence etc

Constitutional: Not really sure about this one because I haven't looked at it since 1st yr college, but there was a great thread there recently with advice on topics to cover.

Contract: Offer/Acceptance, Consideration, Promissory Estoppel, Mistake, Misrep, Frustration, Breach,Damages, Parol Evidence Rule?, Exemption clauses.

Anything ye can add or delete from the above would be most welcome, all I have to do now is shock my body into coping with the chain smoking and red bull drinking that will be happening in the next couple of weeks..........

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

pink101 wrote: »
    No and in hindsight I suppose I should have done a course as I think my exam techniques were the problem and my whole approach to the exams.

I am a mature student and did my llb in UL and they definitely did not prepare you for blackhall as we were given all the questions for the exams which of course was great at the time and helped us all get an honours degree but it did not help in the long run when sitting the blackhall exams. I am working fulltime and a course was just not an option for me.

I did attend a crash course in Galway last year for the weekend but I found this course was at end of August which was very late to prepare.

If I had it all over again I would have done a course as I have spoken to people and they have got the exams with this.

I'm going to take my first four in March, I work fulltime, so I'm going to do the Griffith course 2 nights a week, so fingers crossed that will help especially because I don't have a law background.

They do sound really tough but I hope with a good lot of hard work I should be ok, we'll have to wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

Hope the study`s going well for everyone! Anyone else finding Property difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

I have yet to really get at Property tbh. Tort and Constitutional are my main concern. Land will be a four day weekend jobbie methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Chinner wrote: »
    Hope the study`s going well for everyone! Anyone else finding Property difficult?
    Property is tough but if you keep going with it, it'll all come together. Spend a long time on succession. Try and know it inside out, upside down and back to front. Family stuff might make an appearance too. These two areas are very straightforward. Make sure and leave yourself plenty of time to learn it if you can. Also, if you have time, do questions. I know that it seems obvious but they help you revise and focus on the more important parts of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

Cheers. Yeah, I`ll stick at it, and hopefully it`ll all make sense before the time comes.

Re: Land Law

2 questions always from Succession know inside out.
    Adverse Possession has been a definite for the last four years
    Co-Owernship has come up twice in the last two years.
    Family law did not come up last year only half questions on PMRT.

Anderson loves the Law Reform Papers and that is the worst think about this paper.

Licence and Estoppel should not be left out and also Landlord and Tenant even though he gave this as Law Reform questions last year. I had landlord and tenant done but had not done anything on the reform so could not answer it.

I did registered and unregistered land as that was a hot top from Griffith but it never came up so it may come this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fr.Frost

Hey, does anyone have a copy of the companies acts for sale??
    If so please phone 0879632530.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

Guys,

I've decided to leave out Equality, Property Rights and Right to Earn a Livelihood for Constitutional Law, and have decided to cover everything else.

Is this risky? I know it's due... any advice welcome.

Guys,

I've decided to leave out Equality, Property Rights and Right to Earn a Livelihood for Constitutional Law, and have decided to cover everything else.

Is this risky? I know it's due... any advice welcome.

Don't think that would be a good idea. Have you got the constitutional nutshells do equality and property out of them. I know a full question came up on equality in March but a lot of the time you can bring property and equality into the freedoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

Just got my results and passed all 8,first time.
    This time last year I was driving a teleporter on a building site.
    Had not sat an exam or studied since 1983.
    But I have all the Griffith College manuals for sale plus the exam booklets.
    And they are in good nick,no notes written in,just highlighted.
    And whats more they are clearly lucky.
    Better born lucky than smart I always say

I know this is a ridiculously late reply but do you still have those notes for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Jackthe

Remember he likes privacy, which could tie in with the property rights (quiet enjoyment etc) I agree with Pink, if you haven't got the time to cover the full chapter try and go over it sufficiently to answer a 1/4 - 1/2 question. Don't cherry pick as the examiners are trying to catch out prep courses attendees and cherry pickers.

by the by does anyone know what Ciaran Patten was doing in independent colleges the week before last?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Hi Everyone, if anyone has any tips or hints that may have been given my their lecturers I would really like to hear them. I know they can't be seen as the gospel truth or anything but I'd like to have some idea. Cheers.

Any hints for EU or Criminal would be greatly appreciated by me.

Just spoke to a Barrister in relation to Criminal - gave me diminished responsibility and the case re Patrick O'Dwyer which was the first Irish case 2007 whereby reduced from murder to manslaughter.

if you remember he was from County Clare and killed his sister.

Also two other cases in relaton to insanity Lynn Gibbs and John Egan. Up to date ones for insanity Act 2006.

Please share if anyone has any tips or heard of new cases or data as some of us poor fools are studying on our own without the benefit of the academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

Guys, does anybody got:

- Sale of Goods Act 1893 and/or the Sale of Gooods and Supply of Services Act 1980

- Company Acts 1963 - 2005 (as amended)
    The EEC Directive on Company Law 1968
    or
    Bastow Charleton, Combined Companies Act (2000) gILL & mCMILLAN AND the Company Law Enforcement Act 2001
    or
    McCann & Courtney , companies Acts, 1963-2006 Student Edition, Tottel

for sale, if yes please pm me, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Jackthe wrote: »
    by the by does anyone know what Ciaran Patten was doing in independent colleges the week before last?

Signing a contract apparently. He's doing their Criminal classes from November.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LawyerGirl

Hi,
    What topics are everyone leaving out for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Hi people,

what acts are we allowed to take into exams. I'm doing Company, Contract, Criminal and Equity.

What acts are permitted into these?

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Signing a contract apparently. He's doing their Criminal classes from November.

That's gas, I remember last year telling people to go to griffith for criminal, and in particular Ciaran Patten, but to make it a condition of taking the course. I hope no-one has been let down for the next set of FE 1s. Good luck to him, he's probably the best out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 studybug

Anyone else taking Ritalin to help with FE1 exam study?

There is so much material to get through, I would be lost without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

studybug wrote: »

I find a healthy exercise regiment, water with citrus fruit, cold showers and caffeine work pretty good.

Whats Ritalin anyways?

Check out 60 minutes on CBS.com and the report on sleeping and study (see previous posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Are you serious? I think it's a bit extreme for the FE-1's. How are you going to cope with FE-2's or the stresses of being a solicitor, maybe cocaine or heroin?

Jackthe wrote: »
    Check out 60 minutes on CBS.com and the report on sleeping and study (see previous posts)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4181992n%3fsource=search_video

forget pharmacy, if you can't concentrate don't use a crutch, find the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

dats_right wrote: »
    Are you serious? I think it's a bit extreme for the FE-1's. How are you going to cope with FE-2's or the stresses of being a solicitor, maybe cocaine or heroin?

Well, actually, or didn't you know, they are ALL AT IT.

justineDelaneyWilso_163093t.jpg

justinedelaney_162581t.jpg

sundayworldpaulwilliams.jpg

These are serious, serious people. Did I mention they ARE SERIOUS.

Anyhoo, back on topic, my attitude is that all this nonsense about getting up at the crack of dawn etc is just that. Nonsense. We all have different bio rhythms. My perfect rhythm appears to be to sleep from 2AM to Midday. I can do a solid 10 hours from that. Then I bang in a few hours exercise and hit the hay.

Ritalin.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 studybug

dats_right wrote: »

Extreme? Ritalin is given to children like its candy in the US....it hardly can be considered extreme!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement