Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

I would say go and you can still study for four as I was in a similar position last time around and ended up dropping one of my four after a weeks holiday last august as I was convinced I had ruined my chances of passing.

Turned out I passed the 3 I did very comfortably and could have afforded to do both the holiday and the study for four exams. I panicked and it did me no good. Once you have the full 7 weeks up to the exam to study I say go for it. Just get as many notes as you can done in the next two weeks.

I see where Hogzy is coming from re procrastination but just really push yourself when you get home. Maybe have a timetable for the week ahead done before you leave for NY. I should have done that instead of just giving up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

JoannN wrote: »
    I studied for my first 3 for 3and half weeks (Company, Equity and Contract)...and I passed :). So I would say go...but only you know yourself!

Last April's sitting I had three left....gave up work at the end of January and studied harder than I ever had. At the start of March I went on my best friend's hen weekend as I was bridesmaid obviously I couldn't miss it! The proof was in the results...I failed all 3! Between the excitment leading up to the weekend and the recovery period I never snapped back into it and in effect the previous weeks of hard work were wasted! Would not recommend it unless you are very disciplined and have endless energy! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I just want to ad my subject choice was awful. I choose Tort, EU, Constitutional and Criminal to do for my first sitting. 3 of the largest subjects :rolleyes:

That didnt help the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

hi
    this is my first sitting of the fe1s. i'm doing the online griffith course which i find very good. my problem is that i seem to be spending all day watching the lectures. when it comes to sitting down and studying i'm not getting much done. would people recommend just reading the manuals and studying as to watching hours of lectures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dynamokev

I would say 100% go. You still have two and a half weeks before then and a further six and a half weeks after that. Particularly with the subjects you are doing its very doable. Also your work rate will increase ten fold when you no longer have the obstacle of work in the way.

I turned down a free ticket to Electric Picnic before the last sitting and spent the weekend, getting barely any work done, resenting the fact that I was not at the picnic. I still passed my exams but regret missing out on a great weekend. Go on the trip and it will incentivise you to work harder prior to your journey. And then having got that out of your system, be mentally prepared to get back into study.

What would Frank Sinatra do?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8_Se1n67Y&feature=related

Hi guys, I’m looking for some advice - I’m taking four exams in March (contract, tort, equity and property). I’m just about half way through equity at the moment (working full time, I’ve been doing it for around two weeks), and I’m going to start property before the weekend. I’m finished up working at the end of January, so will be studying full time at that stage. BUT I’m thinking of going to New York for a long weekend from the 3rd – 7th Feb (it’s the right time to go for a variety of reasons, bar obviously the looming FE1s). Can someone please talk me into/out of this idea?! I’m just concerned how long it has taken me to get through half of the equity syllabus, but I’m hoping I will cut through a lot more when I’m not working, and I can study on the plane, right?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

blathblath wrote: »
    Has anyone received the October examiners report? just ordered mine and very anxious to know the pass rate????

For what subject Blathblath? For company at any rate, the examiner stated that the standard was better than last time but didn't give a percentage of people who passed. He was ticked off that people still failed despite the spread of subjects and he was giving out again about people not knowing about meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Hi all,

Just looking for a small bit of advice.. Im planning to sit two subjects this sitting.. company (which I failed in Sept) and either constitutional or EU.. I hope to have company out of the way in the next two weeks and will start into my second subject then.. would anyone recommend one of these subjects over the other in terms of the workload and the complexity of the subject itself given the amount of time Ive left??

Thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Hi Guys, thanks for the opinons - seems to have divided the camp - I'm completely torn! Don't know what to do - I won't forgive myself if I fail over the head of it. One positive is that the timetable is quite good - tort and equity are on the 22nd and 24th and contract and property are a week later on the 31st and 1st April.

I'll leave on the thursday and with the jetlag probably won't be back to myself till the following wednesday. I'm quite likely to rip the arse out of it as well, which could leave my head in a bit of a state - suppose I could take it easy, jaysus, don't know what to do!

Will most likely do the griffith one day revision courses as well, so I suppose that would be a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Amre17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for a small bit of advice.. Im planning to sit two subjects this sitting.. company (which I failed in Sept) and either constitutional or EU.. I hope to have company out of the way in the next two weeks and will start into my second subject then.. would anyone recommend one of these subjects over the other in terms of the workload and the complexity of the subject itself given the amount of time Ive left??

Thanks in advance..
    Would reccommend Constitutional. Much easier to get a grasp on than EU. They are both big, but Constitutional seems more managable and not as many changes as there have been with the EU syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone knows when or if ever, have the examiners changed in the subjects of EU, Tort and Property?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

glengirlie wrote: »
    Would reccommend Constitutional. Much easier to get a grasp on than EU. They are both big, but Constitutional seems more managable and not as many changes as there have been with the EU syllabus.

Thanks Glengirlie..

I was edgeing towards constitutional myself..

Amre17 wrote: »
    Thanks Glengirlie..

I was edgeing towards constitutional myself..
    Your welcome, good luck with it, hope its a nice paper!!!

Just a quick question about the EU Exam, I presume its the latest edition of Blackstones that we are permitted to bring into the exam, ie the one published in August 2010? I am trying to get ahead of myself and have everything ready for dreaded EU :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

glengirlie wrote: »
    Just a quick question about the EU Exam, I presume its the latest edition of Blackstones that we are permitted to bring into the exam, ie the one published in August 2010? I am trying to get ahead of myself and have everything ready for dreaded EU :(

Yes. And you are allowed to underline and highlight things. Given that the exam is now in the Red Cow and the Dublin invigilators have earned a reputation for not being as kind as the Cork people, you might want to make sure you can hand it in the day before in case they baulk on the morning.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Yes. And you are allowed to underline and highlight things. Given that the exam is now in the Red Cow and the Dublin invigilators have earned a reputation for not being as kind as the Cork people, you might want to make sure you can hand it in the day before in case they baulk on the morning.
    Thanks for that JCJCJC

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OJS

Hi,

Basically want to know how you determine when a mortgage is a legal mortgage or an equitable one. I was looking at the problem question from Oct 09 Q.5 where in the report it said that the first sum was an equitable mortgage and the 2nd sum was a legal one. Probably very simple i know!!!

Any help would be great!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Torment

Anyone know when recheck results are due out ?

Seems like taking forever !!!

Torment wrote: »
    Anyone know when recheck results are due out ?

Seems like taking forever !!!

Wow are they not out yet? That is nuts! Soooooo slow......

blathblath wrote: »
    Wow are they not out yet? That is nuts! Soooooo slow......

Alas not, but am hoping that it will be worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Torment

I know - it's no on really, we have to reapply in about 10 days, it costs a fortune for a recheck - where does all the money go ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Call Me Ishmael

Hi All,

Would love some advice re my future......took career break...new to law but really enjoying it. Thinking of entering the criminal area...

hoping to complete all remaining FE1 exams this september...
    how does this process work?

Should I just bang off CVs in April and try to obtain a training cert?
    Is this realistic? Note that I have no desire to join a commercial/big 5 firm and am indifferent at having missed their deadlines.

I have a gud finance qualification that I think any Law firm would appreciate and hope to advance into a criminal firm. Hw realistic am I?
    What date do i need to register with blackhall to start next autumn?

Tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

I was just wondering if anyone knows a good article/set of notes/ piece of writing (!!!) which covers the changes that are made to Irish law by the Defamation Act 2009 (and a bit of critical assessment wouldn't go a miss either)....I would be EXTREMELY grateful for something relatively up-to-date! Trying to piece all these elements together myself seem a little daunting...

Torment wrote: »
    I know - it's no on really, we have to reapply in about 10 days, it costs a fortune for a recheck - where does all the money go ?

Lord knows;)

I will have to wait 'till payday before applying for the next sitting so a few more days of waiting for recheck results won't kill me. I would love to know though, despite the fact that I don't expect to be brought up. Good luck with your results anyway torment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

just a quick question. in relation to the estates in land. as the lclra 2009 has recommended the abolition of the fee tail estate. Would it be safe to completly leave it out or just have a general over view of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

Hey all

This is probably a silly question but iam doing the FE1 prep course from Griffith a and an IILEX Tort law assignment has just been posted. So wondering if I have to do this??

steph86 wrote: »
    just a quick question. in relation to the estates in land. as the lclra 2009 has recommended the abolition of the fee tail estate. Would it be safe to completly leave it out or just have a general over view of it?

Know what is in the 2009 Act - acts don't recommend things usually, are you maybe confusing the Act, abbreviated to lclra, with the law reform comission, lrc? At this stage the lrc's recommendations aren't so relevant since a major Act has become law. There is little point in an examiner asking you for suggestions on reforms etc because that ship has sailed - I would guess it is a lot more likely that you will be asked the current law.

JoannN wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone knows a good article/set of notes/ piece of writing (!!!) which covers the changes that are made to Irish law by the Defamation Act 2009 (and a bit of critical assessment wouldn't go a miss either)....I would be EXTREMELY grateful for something relatively up-to-date! Trying to piece all these elements together myself seem a little daunting...

What about the explanatory memorandum that came out with the Act? I sat and passed tort twice last year, I think there was a fair bit on the www about the new Act, if you pm me I'll see if I saved any of it. A question came up on chatroom defamation, there was a case directly on it called Betfair, you'll find it on bailii.org.

Hi All,

Would love some advice re my future......took career break...new to law but really enjoying it. Thinking of entering the criminal area...

hoping to complete all remaining FE1 exams this september...
    how does this process work?

Should I just bang off CVs in April and try to obtain a training cert?
    Is this realistic? Note that I have no desire to join a commercial/big 5 firm and am indifferent at having missed their deadlines.

I have a gud finance qualification that I think any Law firm would appreciate and hope to advance into a criminal firm. Hw realistic am I?
    What date do i need to register with blackhall to start next autumn?

Tks

Read the law society's website on the steps involved in becoming a solicitor, talk eyeball-to-eyeball to the solicitor(s) you expect will give you a training contract asap about the dates and timing of same vis-a-vis your FE1 progress.

colonel1 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, there was a question on director's meetings, a question on the Rule in Turquand/Indoor management rule and a tricky question on borrowing (specifically retention of title clauses and registration of charges), there was also a question on statutory restrictions on director's transactions etc (e.g. s26 CA 1990 and s29 CA 1990 -I recall being a bit uncertain about that question -toss up between s31 and s29 CA 1990). The rest is a bit of a blur, though no benefits of incorporation or separate legal personality question alas!

I just ordered my copy of the Examiner's report from the Law Society, and will be very interested to see the company law pass rate.

Oh dear, just had a look at the exam report for company and realise that I made a complete mess of Q3 which concerned director's conflicts of interest (Peso mines and whatnot) and director's duties (plus remedies) and not s29 CA 1990 or s31 CA 1990, though s26 CA 1990 did crop up in the question. It would help if I read the question properly instead of diving in head first. Worra a twit:o

• Advertisement

colonel1 wrote: »
    Oh dear, just had a look at the exam report for company and realise that I made a complete mess of Q3 which concerned director's conflicts of interest (Peso mines and whatnot) and director's duties (plus remedies) and not s29 CA 1990 or s31 CA 1990, though s26 CA 1990 did crop up in the question. It would help if I read the question properly instead of diving in head first. Worra a twit:o

Oh man, it is scary reading the report alright!!! is anyone else totally demotivated?? Every day I say I am starting and I literally have spent the past week on consequences of incorporation haha pathetic! I don't know whether to just use the notes I had or start afresh.....so sick of fe1s :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement