Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Miss_F wrote: »
    Hey all

This is probably a silly question but iam doing the FE1 prep course from Griffith a and an IILEX Tort law assignment has just been posted. So wondering if I have to do this??

It would probably be easier to deal with this internally in GCD...I don't see any assignment posted, and you might direct me that way (not in this forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

blathblath wrote: »
    Oh man, it is scary reading the report alright!!! is anyone else totally demotivated?? Every day I say I am starting and I literally have spent the past week on consequences of incorporation haha pathetic! I don't know whether to just use the notes I had or start afresh.....so sick of fe1s :mad:

You are not alone blathblath, I felt that way too but have started back this week. It would probably be better to use the notes you had rather than starting from scratch imo and focus on topics like borrowing and directors. Consequences of incorporation hasn't featured for a while, but it would be a lovely question if it did:D This is your last exam too isn't it? So, soon you will be free of these exams, which may give you some incentive to study, that and all that lovely money you will be raking in as a top solicitor;) In any case you could always take a short break over the weekend and start afresh on Monday, as there is nothing worse than trying to study when your heart isn't in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

Hey!

I'm sitting the FE1s this year too. Doing four and four. In March I'm doing Tort, Contract, Criminal and Company. I work two days a week and study full time the rest of the week.

I've given up drink until the exams and pretty much my social life too... I think they've taken over. I nearly dream about them every night too, that I'm discussing a case or whatever with friends...WEIRD! Anyone else suffering FE1 life-takeover too?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

2040 wrote: »
    Is two months enough time to study for three exams (criminal, contract, tort) for a law graduate?

I really need to think about this. The cost of registering for exams, travel (currently based in Cork) and accomodation in Dublin is slightly prohibitive.

Opinions?

I did three exams in October. Company, contract and property. I had exactly 8 weeks to study for them and I wasn't working at all. I did really well in them but it was so stressful and I was really under alot of pressure, more than I had ever been under doing any other exams. I literally hibernated for the 8 weeks studying. So, it is possible, but stressful.

Hibernation!!!

Thats EXACTLY what I'm doing. Sleep. Study. Eat. Sleep. Study. Eat. Sleep. Eat. Study. Study. Eat.

What was fresh air like again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

serious lack of motivation- plently of tea but no motivation......

for those doing tort- entertaining and informative---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWia3GCzyLQ

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    serious lack of motivation- plently of tea but no motivation......

for those doing tort- entertaining and informative---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWia3GCzyLQ

I saw that a few months ago! Its gas!!!! I think they've one on Donohue v. Stevenson as well for Company...

I'm on a serious diet coke buzz myself. I drink over 2 litres a day and wonder why it takes so long to get to sleep at night... I'd say I'm a week or two away from needing red bull too!

Gah! I meant Solomen v Solomen. I am too tired... Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭JessieJ

Does anybody have an up-to-date exam grid for Equity? And if so, could you please send it to me? Puh-lease?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

I would really appreciate if someone could send me an up to date equity exam grid also!! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MilkTheGroup

Any1 have ideas on what they're going to leave in and out in terms of topics in criminal, company and tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Can you print of a pdf of the Succession Act for the property exam? http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/slru/Restatement_Succession_Act_1965.pdf

Or do you need some official version - also, does it have to be checked prior to the exam as per constitutional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Heineken pants

Recheck result came this morning. No move in Constitutional, got 43 and stayed at 43...thats my second failure and second recheck, do they even recheck them or is it all a money making gimmick? Anybody get lucky? Constitutional is the only FE1 exam iv had problems with, and I have 6 in the bag, 2 remaining. The paper is just way too unpredictable. Anyone have any advice on how to actually pass...anything would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Can you print of a pdf of the Succession Act for the property exam? http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/slru/Restatement_Succession_Act_1965.pdf

Or do you need some official version - also, does it have to be checked prior to the exam as per constitutional?

You need an official copy, from the publications office for example.

It does need to be examined by the invigilators. You leave it outside the exam hall in a box at the invigilator's desk. This has to be done on the day prior to the exam, or earlier if there are other exams ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Are we allowed bring any materials into the Equity or Porperty exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

_JOE_ wrote: »
    You need an official copy, from the publications office for example.

It does need to be examined by the invigilators. You leave it outside the exam hall in a box at the invigilator's desk. This has to be done on the day prior to the exam, or earlier if there are other exams ongoing.

Thanks Joe, contract is the day before so I can leave it in at that stage. Did people find it helpful in the exam? I'd imagine so, seems to lay it all out for you - overall, property seems to be very manageable - my sister passed it after studying for around 2/3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hal9k

I am very grateful to all contributors to this thread over the years and I thought I would post a comment now that I have finally completed the exams. I have just received my recheck for company law and I was brought up by 16%. That is not a typing error - 16% increase in my mark! I have always heard stories of people coming up by significant amounts and to be honest I thought they were just exaggerations. I would like to put it in black and white that this actually happened. There is still the remote possibility that this is one of my friends playing a sick joke on me. I would like to wish everyone here the best of luck in the future. Some of you may get involved with the law society in years to come and I hope reform of these examinations is top of your agenda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Heineken pants

hal9k wrote: »
    I am very grateful to all contributors to this thread over the years and I thought I would post a comment now that I have finally completed the exams. I have just received my recheck for company law and I was brought up by 16%. That is not a typing error - 16% increase in my mark! I have always heard stories of people coming up by significant amounts and to be honest I thought they were just exaggerations. I would like to put it in black and white that this actually happened. There is still the remote possibility that this is one of my friends playing a sick joke on me. I would like to wish everyone here the best of luck in the future. Some of you may get involved with the law society in years to come and I hope reform of these examinations is top of your agenda!

Isn't that just dandy. I was only looking for 7 marks and they wouldn't mark me up. 16% increase...can only be described as a complete farse. How could there be such a discrepancy? Happy days for you though. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Would really really really appreciate it if someone had exam grids for criminal, contract equity and tort and was willing to share them (PM me). Any of them and I would be eternally grateful!
    Working full time and trying to do these four is pretty much killing me. Don't know how i'm going to manage it tbh but sure, must plow on!

OMG, got my recheck results too. I rechecked criminal and eu eventhough I knew I wasnt going to come up in EU as I had only answered less than 2 questions and got 20% initially which is actually virtually impossible! I answered five fair questions in criminal and expected to pass but only got 37% as I actually knew what I was talking bout in criminal. When I considered rechecking crime, I couldnt resist rechecking EU as I know I am not worthy of 20% in less than 2 questions.

So got my recheck results today and they are both the exact same as before!!! Are they actually correcting the rechecks or is it only a certain percentage that will be rechecked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Isn't that just dandy. I was only looking for 7 marks and they wouldn't mark me up. 16% increase...can only be described as a complete farse. How could there be such a discrepancy? Happy days for you though. Congrats

Sigh, all I was looking for was a mere 9% which if obtained would have meant that I would have my 1st 3. Alas not, my mark stayed exactly the same in the recheck. I can't understand how someone could come up by 16% unless the examiner totted up the marks incorrectly the first time:(
    Ah well, back to the grindstone.

Im looking for 5% in Constitutional. Hope to god i come up because its my second time failing it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

I so wish the pass rate was mandatorty in the examiners reports!

^^^^^Someone is defo studying Tort anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Hogzy wrote: »
    ^^^^^Someone is defo studying Tort anyway :p

Haha I actually am not thank fudge passed it last round!!! cripes :P

Has everyone booked accomodation for the march sitting? Help needed as I really dont know Dublin

mirm wrote: »
    Has everyone booked accomodation for the march sitting? Help needed as I really dont know Dublin

I booked the Moran hotel. It was 60 per night when i was booking it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

my 43% in tort didnt move! that would have been my first 3 too. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

I booked the IBIS last week- to me that made the most sense.

-43 euro per night. Happy days cheap and basic.
    -I did not want to leave it to long to book as i expect the prices will go up b4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

Is the Ibis hotel within handy walking distance of the Moran? I just feel the Moran is very expensive. It's so painful to have to pay hotel fees on top of exam fees, etc. compared to last time. I'm in the position that every time I have a day off between exams I'm going to trek all the way across to the other side of the city to stay with relatives because otherwise I'd have like 9 nights in a hotel. Not made of money! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement