Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 akom

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Welcome to this lonely outpost. There are too many variables to give a single simple answer. If you've never studied law before, you'll need more time, but the prep courses are good. If you graduated last year with a first in law, you might not need much further polishing. The big difference between a degree and a prep course is the fact that the pc focuses on this exam. It's entirely a matter of good exam technique and enough knowledge to get 50%. College law courses have a different focus. So, get past papers, look for patterns in them, ask yourself if you can competently tackle five questions to that standard in three hours and that's about it.
    You have your subjects chosen by now so there't little point in saying pick complementary ones like equity with property, contract etc, there is some cross-over leading to saving of effort there.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply,

I finished a law degree in May last year and started the prep course in the November so it was all still fairly fresh in my head...I mean nothing has gone majorly over my head since then!

Im sitting Contract, Constitutional, Criminal and Equity. When I pass these (im training my brain to be positive about the whole thing :) ) im hoping to sit 2 and 2 after that.

Ok from tomorrow on I AM going to be completely focused and im going to stay that way until the deed is done!! Might aswell wish eh?!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

akom wrote: »
    Ok from tomorrow on I AM going to be completely focused and im going to stay that way until the deed is done!! Might aswell wish eh?!! :D

I've been trying that since January. I gave up working full time, moved home (to CARLOW...urghhh) and have forgotten what alchohol tastes like. I think I'm turning into a hermit... I'm even having FE1 dreams. Is this normal??? :confused:

Oh and I've blue-tacked exam grids all over my spare bedroom which is now my study:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Thanks for your reply,

I finished a law degree in May last year and started the prep course in the November so it was all still fairly fresh in my head...I mean nothing has gone majorly over my head since then!

Im sitting Contract, Constitutional, Criminal and Equity. When I pass these (im training my brain to be positive about the whole thing :) ) im hoping to sit 2 and 2 after that.

You'll be grand. Keep an eye on bailii for fresh cases. Search for the litigants' names from the major classic cases and they will be mentioned in anything fresh - eg promissory estoppel came up in Cumann Peile Boitheimeach v Albion in 2010, I got it in to my contract answer - the Law Soc likes much fresher stuff than college examiners. I graduated in 2007 so I have an awful lot of it forgotten, and a lot of new statute, european and case law has emerged since. I passed my initial three last October, doing three more this time, so you should be ok.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

Hi all, hope study is going well. Just a general question on EU law. I'm working off a Griffith Manual and is it just me, or is it totally different to the manuals for the other subjects?! The writing is smaller and the layout is a lot chunkier and, quite frankly, scary as hell!! Is the Independent one nicer?

Also, how much detail do we need to go into for case notes, do we need the whole facts, etc.?

I think this is the worst FE1 of the lot, it's making me look forward to studying Tort and Criminal. Congrats to those of you who have passed it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

law_lady wrote: »
    Hi all, hope study is going well. Just a general question on EU law. I'm working off a Griffith Manual and is it just me, or is it totally different to the manuals for the other subjects?! The writing is smaller and the layout is a lot chunkier and, quite frankly, scary as hell!! Is the Independent one nicer?
    In my opinion the griffith Manual for EU is the best. Its is extremely thorough and explains everything quite clearly i found. Id stick with the one you have as long as it was printed post lisbon.
    Also, how much detail do we need to go into for case notes, do we need the whole facts, etc.?
    ALOT unfortunately. The facts of the case are extremely important. Nearly as important as the reasoning behind the courts decision. I wouldnt recommend preparing for the case note question. Its dam near impossible to predict what could come up.
    I think this is the worst FE1 of the lot, it's making me look forward to studying Tort and Criminal. Congrats to those of you who have passed it already.
    I didnt mind EU but thats just me. Tort and Company are the 2 exams i am leaving till last. Dreading those tbh

Another day of studying Equity done. Off to bed now, up at 8 to start all this again. I cant believe we have another 7 odd weeks of this :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

Just as a matter of interest, I know exams can be stressful and so forth, but if you have to pay for the exam, why not just have a bash at it? even if you know you are going to fail, is it not worth trying just to see how you do? If you get 12%, you know you've got a lot of work to do, but if you get 25-30% with no study, you might get a lot of confidence from that.

I agree...unless you are in dire straights with the other subjects and feel you need every second to study definitely have a whack at it - I got 38% in Constitutional with, 1- 1.5 hours in the exam, night before notes from nutshells and a bit of independent rational thought :).
    Definitely worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 akom

You'll be grand. Keep an eye on bailii for fresh cases. Search for the litigants' names from the major classic cases and they will be mentioned in anything fresh - eg promissory estoppel came up in Cumann Peile Boitheimeach v Albion in 2010, I got it in to my contract answer - the Law Soc likes much fresher stuff than college examiners. I graduated in 2007 so I have an awful lot of it forgotten, and a lot of new statute, european and case law has emerged since. I passed my initial three last October, doing three more this time, so you should be ok.

JC

Thanks a mill..great advice,
    You should maybe have a think of going into councelling fe1 takers and sort out all the mental problems that go along with it! :)

Hey just wondering if its okay to highlight and put tags (the sticky ones on the side of the book) of the statutes that we're bringing into the exam...like the companies Acts? Has anyone done this before and it was okay? Otherwise whats the point of having a blank book before you?

Also - I know we're supposed to get the Succession Act and the Sale of Goods and Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Acts from The Government Publication Offices on Molesworth Street - do we just call in there and ask? Is there a fee?

It hit me around 3am last night and I started freaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Hey just wondering if its okay to highlight and put tags (the sticky ones on the side of the book) of the statutes that we're bringing into the exam...like the companies Acts? Has anyone done this before and it was okay? Otherwise whats the point of having a blank book before you?

Also - I know we're supposed to get the Succession Act and the Sale of Goods and Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Acts from The Government Publication Offices on Molesworth Street - do we just call in there and ask? Is there a fee?

It hit me around 3am last night and I started freaking out!

I could be wrong but I think it has to be an unmarked copy of the ca to you can bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Remmy wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think it has to be an unmarked copy of the ca to you can bring in.

tabbed and highlighted is fine, just once there is nothing written on the tabs themselves.

• Advertisement

shaneybaby wrote: »
    tabbed and highlighted is fine, just once there is nothing written on the tabs themselves.

Thanks a million! Saved me a lot of anguish :D:D

Thanks a mill..great advice,
    You should maybe have a think of going into councelling fe1 takers and sort out all the mental problems that go along with it! :)

Thanks. I can't sort out my own life not to mind everybody elses! I'm definitely in the 'mature student' category, which has the sole advantage of not being in the antithesis I suppose ;-)

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Hi,
    Just wondering if someone could explain the Panatown v. Alfred McAlpine case in the context of Privity of contract in Contract Law

Getting really confused bou it!!Any help would be much appreciated!xxx

Hi,
    Just wondering if someone could explain the Panatown v. Alfred McAlpine case in the context of Privity of contract in Contract Law

Getting really confused bou it!!Any help would be much appreciated!xxx

Just Google 'Panatown McAlpine Privity' and you'll get loads on it. AFAIK, it's an exception to the 'Albazarro exception' because a duty of care deed (DCD) had been executed that defined the relationships between the parties. There's no mention in Ray Friel's book but there is a little bit in a Nutshells I have, 6th edn. It says
    "the Ho of Lds debarred the employer in a building contract, by reason of the fact that it was not the owner of the land, from recovering substantial damages where the owner had a direct right to to sue the contractor. Thus there was no necessity to depart from the general rule that substantial damages cannot be recovered by a promisee suffering no loss."

Because there were dissenting judgments it is obviously of interest.

Edit 2: Good online paper on it here

Would anyone have a copy of the examiners comments from the October 2010 sitting?
    I cant find them on the Griffith Moodle.

Preferably for

Property
    Equity
    Constitutional
    Criminal
    Contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

6 weeks left and still not focused.....not good at all!!!!! Anyone else out there having a similar problem???

blathblath wrote: »
    6 weeks left and still not focused.....not good at all!!!!! Anyone else out there having a similar problem???

sure do... i'm still slightly in denial I think... Getting up at 10 has to stop soon, I'm starting to feel guilty...

sure do... i'm still slightly in denial I think... Getting up at 10 has to stop soon, I'm starting to feel guilty...

+1 i was like that up until this week. Id be up for half 9, studying for 10/10:30. Now im up for half 8 studying for 9. That one extra hour before you take lunch makes a big difference because anything i do after lunch usually takes twice as long to sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Don't worry folks I keep getting up a midday and studying too late! Internet is a massive distraction. Can't seem to settle into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Has anyone attended the Griffith one day courses before? Did you find them beneficial?

• Advertisement

Don't worry folks I keep getting up a midday and studying too late! Internet is a massive distraction. Can't seem to settle into it!

I know!!! I stayed in bed until 1 the other day by accident. Was so embarassing to have mum kick me out of bed and tell me to study. Felt like I was a teenager again.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

I know!!! I stayed in bed until 1 the other day by accident. Was so embarassing to have mum kick me out of bed and tell me to study. Felt like I was a teenager again.

Don't worry about getting up "late", it is quality not quantity in terms of study time that one should aim for:D

Has anyone attended the Griffith one day courses before? Did you find them beneficial?

Yes - very good indeed, wouldn't have passed without them because I graduated in 2007 and had lost exam sharpness. Their tips are very accurate, they really know this game well. Do a bit of preparation before you go along to really get maximum benefit and if it's on a Sunday bring a lunch for yourself.

Yes - very good indeed, wouldn't have passed without them because I graduated in 2007 and had lost exam sharpness. Their tips are very accurate, they really know this game well. Do a bit of preparation before you go along to really get maximum benefit and if it's on a Sunday bring a lunch for yourself.

Cool, I haven't sat an exam in beards so sounds like just what I'm after - thanks.

Cool, I haven't sat an exam in beards so sounds like just what I'm after - thanks.

How long is a beard?

How long is a beard?

About four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

starting to completly stress out. still writting out notes which is taking ages. eu chapters are so long. is anyone else in the same boat?
    Also in relation to property what topics are people doing?
    i've done equity and the doctrine of notice, registered and unregisterd land, succession law, co-ownership and tenure although i'll be using that as a back up question. Am avoiding L & Tennant like the plague. will prob do either family property, licenses and/ or adverse possession.

steph86 wrote: »
    starting to completly stress out. still writting out notes which is taking ages. eu chapters are so long. is anyone else in the same boat?
    Also in relation to property what topics are people doing?
    i've done equity and the doctrine of notice, registered and unregisterd land, succession law, co-ownership and tenure although i'll be using that as a back up question. Am avoiding L & Tennant like the plague. will prob do either family property, licenses and/ or adverse possession.

What ever you do DO NOT leave out adverse possession. That would be examination suicide. Its almost a guaranteed question

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

HI folks, hope study is going ok for everyone! Does anyone know the topics that arose on the last property paper? I know there was two on succession and a question on adverse possession so anything after that would be brilliant! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Guys..Any thoughts on what topics you can leave out or avoid in Eu, Company or Constitutional?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement