Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sarahaw

Hello amigos!

If anyone has a copy of the Constitutional Exam Oct 10 i'd be SO greatful of you could PM it to me! I could have swore I had it already but I went to look for it yesterday and it was no where to be seen!!

If anyone has it, it'd be really great. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 persistent

Hi,

Would anybody be willing to let me have a copy of the examiner's report for Tort for the last exam or let me know what it says?

I could maybe swap for notes on a particular topic in Constitutional, Tort or EU if needed.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

arghhhhhhhhh... just over a month to go. freaking out. is it almost time to stop sleeping yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Does anyone have the name of the 2010 case in which Dunne J upheld the constitutionality of s5 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Does anyone have the name of the 2010 case in which Dunne J upheld the constitutionality of s5 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006

D (A Minor) v Ireland
    [2010] IEHC 101

Interesting for putting to bed the notion of presumptive invalidity in certain areas of discrimination. That said, it was a bit mad to submit that gender based discrimination attracted such an approach when they don't even reach that standard in the United States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

T.Watson wrote: »
    Would anyone have any recommendations on a good book/nutshells for EU law post Lisbon? All my college stuff is out of date and I'm have some trouble getting to grips with this subject.

Also, with all the renumbering of Articles and what not, how should you approach discussing issues in cases. Are you penalised for referring to the old articles in ECJ cases (and should you even call it the ECJ in the exam even if that's what it was called when they gave the judgment?) or should you just refer the the renumbered article?

Are there any topics that can be safely left out for EU?

All the name changing of institutions, treaties, articles and what not has my head seriously confused! Sorry for all the rambling questions! Thanks all

I think book wise, Craig and De Burca is pretty comprehensive for EU law. Legal periodicals can also be handy for looking up articles on specific areas. I don't really know about nutshells though, someone else might have info on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lawladdie

Now in a proper panic so Im looking for stuff the examiners have written cos that might be a short cut to what they like. Anyone know of any stuff that's useful or comes up?

Im looking for EU, constitutional, tort and equity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

Has anyone who has done tort got advice on the last few chapters on limitations, damages, fire, animals etc and what is safe to leave out? It just seems impossible to me to cut down this course on the basis of the exam grid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fifi8_4

Mshellster wrote: »
    I think book wise, Craig and De Burca is pretty comprehensive for EU law. Legal periodicals can also be handy for looking up articles on specific areas. I don't really know about nutshells though, someone else might have info on that.

I bought Nigel Foster's Q&A's 2011&2012 from Hodges Figgis and although it focuses on UK perspective the cases are all relevant for each topic e.g FMOG Cassis, Dassonville etc are all there plus recent onces! I find it helpful anyway and as it's 2011/2012 it deals with everything post Lisbon so Treaty Article numbering is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

T.Watson wrote: »
    Would anyone have any recommendations on a good book/nutshells for EU law post Lisbon? All my college stuff is out of date and I'm have some trouble getting to grips with this subject.

Also, with all the renumbering of Articles and what not, how should you approach discussing issues in cases. Are you penalised for referring to the old articles in ECJ cases (and should you even call it the ECJ in the exam even if that's what it was called when they gave the judgment?) or should you just refer the the renumbered article?

Are there any topics that can be safely left out for EU?

All the name changing of institutions, treaties, articles and what not has my head seriously confused! Sorry for all the rambling questions! Thanks all

The only things probably available to answer your question directly are GCD or IC manuals, I don't know of any revised textbooks. As for the referencing, if you are sure of your old reference put it in as '(old) A 123' etc. There is a conversion table in Blackstones, so if you have any few minutes at the end to review your script you could usefully update the references.
    I can't see how you would be penalised for calling the court the ECJ if that is what it was on the day, your reference would be correct.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question. I have a pre LCRA sample answer to a SLA qs. (Oct 2006 Qs 2). I've got a complete mental block when it comes to Property Law. How relevant is the sample answer I have or more specifically if answering a prob qs on Settled Land how much of the changes brought in by the LCRA would be required for the exam.

Would it be a case of answering the qs as you would've done pre reform and simply putting a couple of paragraphs at the end outlining the changes or is it now the case that you would briefly set out what the SLA was and the law is now this?

Thanks!!

Found this on a link from the Irish Law Events page:

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/constitutional_update_brochure.pdf

Anyone think it might be worth going to?

I'm studying for equity and trusts and tbh I just don't have a clue whats going on cos there's soo many judges comments and the cases are soo old. Anyone else having this prob?and how are u going about studying for it? Pretty worried about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I'm studying for equity and trusts and tbh I just don't have a clue whats going on cos there's soo many judges comments and the cases are soo old. Anyone else having this prob?and how are u going about studying for it? Pretty worried about it

Is this your first time sitting the FE1's The age of the cases shouldnt matter because the principles are still relatively clear.

Yeah it is, just finding it hard to remember any of the cases. I'm doing it with independent colleges and they're confusing me with focusing on judges comments, just seems imposs to remember any of it

Im doing tort, contract and criminal too, and finding them much more manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

Has any one any specific tips for the fe1's... in relation to technique for the last months study! Perhaps even the smallest of things which you might have learnt from sitting them before and either passing or failing.
    - Things to do
    - Things not to do
    - Things to watch out for
    - How to score easy marks
    - How to avoid loosing marks for .... stupid things
    - Are there any trick questions

Dylan123 wrote: »
    Has any one any specific tips for the fe1's... in relation to technique for the last months study! Perhaps even the smallest of things which you might have learnt from sitting them before and either passing or failing.
    - Things to do
    - Things not to do
    - Things to watch out for
    - How to score easy marks
    - How to avoid loosing marks for .... stupid things
    - Are there any trick questions

Most problem questions are trick questions.
    There is no particular way to score easy marks per se but one thing i would advise from the outset is aim to have the examiner on your side. eg clear legible writing, DO NOT leave out paragraphs. One point should have one paragraph.
    Highlight case names in highlighter or use a red pen to write their names.

READ THE ENTIRE PAPER BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone any views on the one-day revision courses? Im starting to freak about about how little I know. Are they worth it? What's Griffith like?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

AnnAh1986 wrote: »
    Has anyone who has done tort got advice on the last few chapters on limitations, damages, fire, animals etc and what is safe to leave out? It just seems impossible to me to cut down this course on the basis of the exam grid.

Doing Tort as well and have the exam grid. I dont know would I leave out limitations or damages as they come up in part questions on negligence. There was one in October 2005 re negligent misstatement and they asked about limitations and what kind of damages would she get.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

D (A Minor) v Ireland
    [2010] IEHC 101

Interesting for putting to bed the notion of presumptive invalidity in certain areas of discrimination. That said, it was a bit mad to submit that gender based discrimination attracted such an approach when they don't even reach that standard in the United States.

Would you mind explaining what you mean here Brian? Just in general in any area of discrimination it's presumed invalid, is this not the usual approach...is it not so from that case?

• Advertisement

lawladdie wrote: »
    Found this on a link from the Irish Law Events page:

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/constitutional_update_brochure.pdf

Anyone think it might be worth going to?

Probably would if it is convenient for you, thanks for posting it.

Anyone any views on the one-day revision courses? Im starting to freak about about how little I know. Are they worth it? What's Griffith like?

I think the GCD ones are very good. I did them last year and passed three. I had forgotten a lot, graduated in 2007. The FE1s aren't the same as college exams - GCD will tell you exactly what you need to do to get your FE1 exam technique right. Their materials are top-class too. I have some GCD manuals and some ICs, the IC one (constitutional) is full of irritating typos, it was badly proof-read and edited, if at all. I'm doing four more GCDs this time so that will tell you what I think of them.
    The more you have done in advance the better you will find them.

JC

JCJCJC wrote: »
    The more you have done in advance the better you will find them.

Couldn't emphasise that enough!

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Probably would if it is convenient for you, thanks for posting it.

Thats ok. We're all suffering together after all :D I thought it might be useful to see what recent stuff has happened (or what recent stuff the examiner thinks has happened :D:D). Im thinking I might do the Griffith revision courses and this next week and then Ill hopefully be flying!

cd.galway wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining what you mean here Brian? Just in general in any area of discrimination it's presumed invalid, is this not the usual approach...is it not so from that case?

If you are challenging legislation, the legislation is presumed valid until you show otherwise.

However, it was arguable on the basis of little bits from a few cases that (at least in equality jurisprudence), the Irish courts might entertain a burden shift (somewhat akin to statutory equality law). This would be incredibly important if you were the Plaintiff/Applicant. If a classification was presumptively invalid all you'd have to show is that the classification was made and the State would need to justify it. So, if classification on gender was presumptive invalid all I would need to show is that I have been classified according to gender and the State would have to justify that.

It was only an argument as it wasn't clear from the cases that the Courts really meant this. In any event, two recent cases (including the above) seem to have said "no", to that particular point.

This is the kind of thing that should be clear from the recent (i.e. last ten years) case-law and is the kind of thing the examiner will notice if people don't raise if relevant.

Thats ok. We're all suffering together after all :D I thought it might be useful to see what recent stuff has happened (or what recent stuff the examiner thinks has happened :D:D). Im thinking I might do the Griffith revision courses and this next week and then Ill hopefully be flying!

Not to advertise, but the purpose of these classes is better served with smallish numbers. Hence places are limited and last year people were turned away in the last few days run-up.

Thanks for the heads-up brian. I better get my finger out and contact Griffith and UCD.

Does anyone know what parking is like in Griffith on a Sunday morning? I am driving up from Cork that morning and i dont want to be stuck and end up late for the only lecture i have.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what parking is like in Griffith on a Sunday morning? I am driving up from Cork that morning and i dont want to be stuck and end up late for the only lecture i have.

Hogzy - like everything else they do, parking is well organised too. Plenty of room. Don't worry about it. (Brian - what about a discount here, I'm doing my best for you :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

If you are challenging legislation, the legislation is presumed valid until you show otherwise.

However, it was arguable on the basis of little bits from a few cases that (at least in equality jurisprudence), the Irish courts might entertain a burden shift (somewhat akin to statutory equality law). This would be incredibly important if you were the Plaintiff/Applicant. If a classification was presumptively invalid all you'd have to show is that the classification was made and the State would need to justify it. So, if classification on gender was presumptive invalid all I would need to show is that I have been classified according to gender and the State would have to justify that.

It was only an argument as it wasn't clear from the cases that the Courts really meant this. In any event, two recent cases (including the above) seem to have said "no", to that particular point.

This is the kind of thing that should be clear from the recent (i.e. last ten years) case-law and is the kind of thing the examiner will notice if people don't raise if relevant.

Cheers Brian for clarifying that.. I'll try and remember this recent case for the exam!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement