Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

studybug wrote: »
    Extreme? Ritalin is given to children like its candy in the US....it hardly can be considered extreme!

So are guns.

Anyways, as I say, we're all different.

Midday on, I am grand, Especially by 5pm, I am flying.

8AM? Fuggetabout it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

ITloser, I think you should advise your biorythms that the fe1 exams start at 9.30AM; getting into your stride around midday/midnight will leave you with a small amount of time to impress the judges.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

I got a letter from the Law Soc with my candidate number etc. Anyhu it says on it that we must bring our Acts to be checked a few days before the exam at the reception desk. What reception desk is this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

The reception desk isn't always in the same place but it should be signposted or if you ask someone will tell you. The first time that I did the exams the reception desk was at the entrance to the exam hall, which was handy. The last time I did them it was on its own, near the Anglesea Road entrance.

The reception desk isn't always in the same place but it should be signposted or if you ask someone will tell you. The first time that I did the exams the reception desk was at the entrance to the exam hall, which was handy. The last time I did them it was on its own, near the Anglesea Road entrance.

So its at the RDS and not the Law Society then?? That's good to know. Don't suppose if you know whether there will be anyone there on Saturday's?

• Advertisement

I doubt it. It says that the acts have to be handed in on examination days. You could hand them in on the 1st day, probably the handiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

pampers1 wrote: »
    Hi people,

what acts are we allowed to take into exams. I'm doing Company, Contract, Criminal and Equity.

What acts are permitted into these?

check on the FE1 Syllabus , here is the link: http://www.lawsociety.ie/displayCDAContent.aspx?node=285&groupID=285&code=education

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

...any suggestion on what to leave out of the company syllabus or what to cover ??? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ilovestudy

Asparagus wrote: »
    Question 1 - write about any 2 of the following:

Settled Land Acts
    Trusts of the Family home
    Estoppel Licences
    Property Registration Authority

Question 2 - Mortgages

Question 3 - Adverse possession

Question 4 - write about any two of teh following:

Profits a prendre
    restrictive Freehold covenants and successors in title
    recognition of new types of easements
    Hybrid (freehold and leasehold) estates

Question 5
    - Joint tenants/ tenants in common problem question

Question 6 - Law Reform Commission report on landlord and tenant law in Ireland, tenancy agreements.

Question 7- Succession Act section 117

Question 8 - problem question, formalities of making a Will etc

Please help!
    I resat Property in April, could only answer 3.5 Qs in Oct 2007 and got 47%, then thought I did a perfectly decent paper in April and got 37%?? It's my last one now and my traineeship depends on it, literally don't know where I went wrong, has totally messed with my confidence.
    I had 5 comfortable Qs,
    answered Q1 essay Qs on Settled Land Acts and Estoppel, can't go too far wrong,
    Q3, had covered AP but Q was strange, based on nature of land, waffled through it and mentioned anything on this in Griffith manual but may have fallen on this Q, (not by 13% though!),
    Q4, another essay Q, on covenants and hybrid estates, again knew it back to front, just puked it all out,
    then did 2 Qs on Succession, knew it back to front, formalities Q was grand, then was completely happy with Q on s.117,

So basically I'm totally confused, when I first got my result (originally 31%) I sent it back 100% confident it was a mistake, really thought I knew my stuff. Wasn't my exam technique, my degree's in law, been taking these exams for years. Really really worried now for this exam, a lot's riding on it...

Can anyone see where I went wrong? If not anyone have the info for someone I could get a one-off grind from maybe? Really don't think I need it, but all I do know is I got 37%, there must be a reason.

Also all my Property materials are now at least 2yrs old, concerned about developments, anyone have info on reform in Judgement Mortgages? Need to cover all bases.
    Thanks! Good luck everyone!

ilovestudy wrote: »
    Please help!
    I resat Property in April, could only answer 3.5 Qs in Oct 2007 and got 47%, then thought I did a perfectly decent paper in April and got 37%?? It's my last one now and my traineeship depends on it, literally don't know where I went wrong, has totally messed with my confidence.
    I had 5 comfortable Qs,
    answered Q1 essay Qs on Settled Land Acts and Estoppel, can't go too far wrong,
    Q3, had covered AP but Q was strange, based on nature of land, waffled through it and mentioned anything on this in Griffith manual but may have fallen on this Q, (not by 13% though!),
    Q4, another essay Q, on covenants and hybrid estates, again knew it back to front, just puked it all out,
    then did 2 Qs on Succession, knew it back to front, formalities Q was grand, then was completely happy with Q on s.117,

So basically I'm totally confused, when I first got my result (originally 31%) I sent it back 100% confident it was a mistake, really thought I knew my stuff. Wasn't my exam technique, my degree's in law, been taking these exams for years. Really really worried now for this exam, a lot's riding on it...

Can anyone see where I went wrong? If not anyone have the info for someone I could get a one-off grind from maybe? Really don't think I need it, but all I do know is I got 37%, there must be a reason.

Also all my Property materials are now at least 2yrs old, concerned about developments, anyone have info on reform in Judgement Mortgages? Need to cover all bases.
    Thanks! Good luck everyone!

Have you got the examiner's report from the sitting? He said that candidate's tended to write all they know on a particular area rather than focusing on the issue in hand.

With regards to the part questions, he said that candidates usually answered one part really well and the 2nd part not well at all. He said that a good answer for the settled land acts would have outlined the problems which the SLAs sought to address and how the legislation sought to achieve these objectives. 'Precise and accurate references to specific provisions of the acts were rewarded.'

Re Estoppel Licences- 'Summary note of issues raised in Wylie at [20.07] to [20.12] would have been on the right track.'

Adverse possession, many people wrote all they knew on AP but a good answer would have 'conducted a more thorough review of relevant authorities similar to Laffoy J. in Tracey Enterprises v Drury. Top class answers focused on 'future intended use' and the dicta of Barrington J. in Durack Manufacturing and Egan J. in Cork Corporation.

The covenants question required an analysis of restrictive covenants with reference to benefit/burden issues in successors in title.

Hybrid estates usually involved an analysis of fee farm grants and leases for lives, reference to the reforms in the Land Law and Conveyancing Bill were rewarded.

S117, ideally candidates would have alluded to case law such as CW v LW, IAC Deceased and ABC Deceased. The 2 latter cases generally approved the thrust of the 1st. 'More usually, candidates gave a general review of how the courts assess whether, pursuant to s117 app, the parent had positively failed in the performance of his/her moral duty.'

The final succession question, the key questions were does katie's will comply with the formalities surrounding the creation of a will? do the alterations comply with the relevant formalities? If the will is invalid, what occurs on intestacy? If the will is valid what statutory protections can her surviving spouse and disgruntled child avail of? overall, can the integrity of Katie's will and its individual provisions be upheld and executed?

That's about all the advice I can give you. I failed property too the first time even though i was my'4th' exam and wasn't sure if I'd sit it or not and it is such a knock to the confidence. Having passed 7 FE-1s though, you know that you can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

Does anyone know roughly when the results from the Sept/Oct sittings are issued?

My sister took the FE1's around 10 years ago and said she didn't get her results till sometime in December!- Is it still this late?!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Cadet? wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly when the results from the Sept/Oct sittings are issued?

My sister took the FE1's around 10 years ago and said she didn't get her results till sometime in December!- Is it still this late?!

Thanks

9th of December they came out last year and the year before.

pink

any hints for EU and Criminal please post on the site.

Pink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

I`m going to have about 11 chapters covered for Property. Not going to have time for Reg, Unreg land or Mortgages, but surely besides them, having 11 chapters is enough?? Any thoughts?

Chinner

Should be okay but if you are going to do anything in registered or unregistered do doctrine of notice as that has not come up in a while and it is due up - could also come up in a half question which could save a person in a fifth question. Problem with Anderson is he loves the Law Refom and there is nearly a paper on every topic including mortgages which came up the year before last and you were snookered if you did not read the paper.

it is possible to pass this paper on four good questions tho if you know Succession inside out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hegseleven

Has anyone heard any Tips for Equity. Doing the exams on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

hegseleven wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any Tips for Equity. Doing the exams on my own.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Hi all,
    Doing Crim, Constitutional and Contract, posted a message already but no luck.
    Love predicting so as to minimise work load (studying on my own and the gambling's paid off so far)

The main worry for me is constitutional, havent studied it since college (and badly then)

Would really appreciate any tips considering that the examiner reports are a load of sh*te, all he does is whinge about the quality of the answers (wait till he gets a load of mine), the rest of the reports are actually instructive. Anyway, I think i'll be cutting my losses with the following:
    Freedom of Expression/Association/Assembly/Religion, Trial in Due Course of Law (privilege against self incrim important), retroactive legislation, locus standi, private property, judicial interpretation,family, executive delegation, and more.......
    If anyone can provide some guidance it would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brunettechick

doing crim contract equity and property for the first time! hoping to get three! time is a big issue for me so fingers crossed i can make the most if it in the exam!!!! have no course totally finished as yet but nearly there!!!! after all 2 weeks is a long time!!!! isnt it???????:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ilovestudy

Punchesnpeaches,
    Thanks very much, no I didn't have the examiner's report, that info's really handy, thanks.

So, anyone have tips for Property yet? Was gonna leave out most of L&T, only cover the Acts, Lease v. Licence, etc, and maybe only do Judgement Mortgages? Still haven't decided. Any help/guidance appreciated!

• Advertisement

hi Everyone... only 2 weeks left now. Anyone any Equity Tips or even know any websites where I could get a bit more knowledge on Equity. Thanks.

pampers1 wrote: »
    hi Everyone... only 2 weeks left now. Anyone any Equity Tips or even know any websites where I could get a bit more knowledge on Equity. Thanks.

Hi Pampers

For what it is worth this is what I would suggest you do.

1.Specific performance has not come up in last two years was due up in March but never appeared. in particular do Defence and contracts requiring constant supervision.

2. the maxims only do four as they did not come up last year.

3. out of Mandatory, quia, interloctury, antion pillar perputual you should get one question. mandatory came up last year so it could be quia timet. Guaranteed one out of this area. Mareva is another one and if you do this do not leave out about if the assests are outside the country.

4. PMRT could be this year -was not last year.

5. undue influence, donatia morsa causa prop estoppel came up last year and also tracing (this came up last two years) though tracing seems popular did not appear for a few years and then all of sudden twice in a row.

6. The trusts it is hard to down but charitable trusts I would not ge in and resulting trusts because you could think it was charitable but it may be resulting but if you dont have the two areas done you will not recognise it.

7. Strong -v- bird has come up as a problem and a half question essay watch out for this, it did not come up last year. woudl do it tho.

8. Constructe trusts usually comes up as an essay has not appeared in a long time. last four times that I sat equity I thought this would come up but it has never so could show this year.

9. Secret trusts and half secret trust could be another one.

hope the above helps

NOW ANY TIPS FOR EU WOULD BE APPRECIATED OR CRIM

PINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

Have the exam numbers been sent out yet?

Have the exam numbers been sent out yet?

I received my candidate number some stage last week. Maybe you should give them all call. They coudl be doing it alphabetically and sending out a few per day or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

Cheers. Am further down the alphabet. Tried calling them a number of times, but no answer :(

Will keep trying!

My surname is just about as far down the alphabet as you can get and I got my exam number almost 2wks ago. I wouldn't panic though, once you got the receipt of your application I would imagine that you'll get your number soon enough. There is no rhyme nor reason to the way the Law Soc does things like this. Perhaps give them a ring to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭June2008

hey Pink,

Q: what does PMRT stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Hi all.
    I'm not actually doing the exams till March but I just wanted to ask what everyones opinion of the Griffith courses is? Are they worth the price? I know the manuals are supposed to be indispensable but I could just buy them. I did law in col so I am familiar with the subjects.

For those of you who've done them do you think they were worth it? And those of you who didn't, do you wish you had?

Best of luck to all those doing the exams! Happy studying!

June2008 wrote: »
    hey Pink,

Q: what does PMRT stand for?

purchase money resulting trust -

pink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ireland1italy0

CavanGal wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I'm not actually doing the exams till March but I just wanted to ask what everyones opinion of the Griffith courses is? Are they worth the price? I know the manuals are supposed to be indispensable but I could just buy them. I did law in col so I am familiar with the subjects.

For those of you who've done them do you think they were worth it? And those of you who didn't, do you wish you had?

Best of luck to all those doing the exams! Happy studying!

Yeah, I know a fair few who have picked up the manuals on the interweb. That said, I did that for my first attempt (head hangs in shame)...and missed out by just a bit. I then bit the financial bullet and went into lectures in Griff this year and did the April 08 exams. The difference (for me) was insane, especially re confidence etc. I guess if you're coming off a 1.1, all you need is the syllabus from the Law Soc and basic notes. One point is though that the FE1 syllabuses are miles away from college in some respects. Contract was less detail than I did in college but constitutional was....well....jesus. I dont know what college prepares you for that. The slant is just a little differnet on the exams, and I think if you need that bit of "institutional support" the colleges are a good thing. There is a lot more focus and supplementing of materials witeh learning aids in Griff etc, uses of powerpoint etc. I don't think I'm a good marker for what a good student needs, but it helped me get over the borderline which I just couldn't do on my own. Thing also was that B.Foley (had for two subjects) was always on the end of the phone when I had questions (but i did know him before hand) and they have a good online system.

If you wait 4 weeks till the exams are done, there'll be millions trying to sell the old manuals on here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement