Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Anyone reckon its safe to leave illegal and void contracts out and consumer protection for contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

Anyone reckon its safe to leave illegal and void contracts out and consumer protection for contract?

I think we need to know a bit on everything and then focus on the key areas.
    The problem is that the likely questions for example in Property: (family property - have the same info as 3 small questions or topics) either way its catch 22!

What i have decided is that i will have 8 good answers to 8 topics. Its the luck of the draw and if 5 do not come up tough t*tties! The Law society will get some more cash from me and at least ill have my sanity and that is more important than anything! Stay cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Just looking at tort now, do u think it would be dagerous to leave all those little itty bitty chapters out plus the land torts, there's just soo much!!

going from the griffith manual, i'm doing all negligence, defamation, trespass to person,land and chattels, nuisance and Rylands and knowing passing off only with regard to economic torts
    Basically i'm leaving out miscellaneous torts( fire and animals) vicarious and employers liability and pure economic loss
    chapters like defective product act 1991 goes hand in hand with negligence regarding manufacturers of goods and its easy learnt off. Same with occupiers liability.

I'm pretty much doing the same, i'm leaving out ryalands tho purely cos it doesn't seem to come up (prob jinxing myself here!), i'm unsure about whether to leave out fatal injuries and concurrent wrongdoers tho. I'd do VL just cos it comes up so much and its surprisingly easy.

Ive a q regarding criminal for any of ye out there!Looking at conspiracy and the issue of impossibilty, the uk recognise imposs as a defence to conspiracy following DPP v. Nock, but then my manual (IC) says that this approach was followed in R v. Sew and Hoy, but the quote given says that conspiracy is complete when the agreement is made and it should therefore be irrelevant that it may be in fact be possible to carry out the agreement

Anyone else noticed this error, it defo seems to be rejecting the defence!Just wondering if its a typo in the manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Does anybody know of any good articles to get a better understanding of freedom of expression in constitutional law?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

would anybody have up to date exam grids for criminal and tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

Are bookmarks allowed in the book: treaties and legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

can somebody give me the name of the companies act u can bring in theres a few editions???

would anybody have up to date exam grids for criminal and tort?

Don't have exam grids, but for tort psych damage and products haven't come up in ages. For criminal duress is due a ru, theres not really much to leave out for criminal tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnny789

Hi Guys,
    Did anybody do the one day constitutional revision lecture at GCD?Just wondering did they find it useful and also what tips they might have given for the exam?I'm thinking of doing the EU one and would be happy to share any tips!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

Hi All

Just wondering, does anyone else find it difficult to identify principles of negligence in a question been asked? ie: Causation, duty of Care? Or am I the only one. Im really finding this area the most difficult so far in the subject.

Has anyone any tips on how you'd identify it in prob q? It seems that the exmainer asks the question in such a way that it appears to be a total different area to what he is actually looking for... What am I doing wrong:confused:

I find that too Foley, tough distinguishing the differences because they're so subtle, like those Wilshere and McGhee cases just make me dizzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

CFOLEY85 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just wondering, does anyone else find it difficult to identify principles of negligence in a question been asked? ie: Causation, duty of Care? Or am I the only one. Im really finding this area the most difficult so far in the subject.

Has anyone any tips on how you'd identify it in prob q? It seems that the exmainer asks the question in such a way that it appears to be a total different area to what he is actually looking for... What am I doing wrong:confused:

It shouldn't be all that difficult, you're missing something. Gather up a few past papers and go and meet a solicitor for a coffee if you can, just look over the questions. If you're doing any intensive course it should be covered, ask if it's not. Take Q3 from last March:
    QUESTION THREE
    Sam is an old age pensioner who lives in a large house in an isolated country area. His house is on the side of a hill and set well in from the road but he has a nice brick path leading from his gate to the front door. During recent unusually cold weather with very low temperatures, this path often froze over making it very icy.
    Several times the postman has complained to Sam about just how dangerous the path was but Sam just kept saying that there was nothing he could do and that this cold snap was highly unusual. One night, Sam was watching a television programme talking about the lack of salt to grit the roads to prevent ice forming. Sam thinks this is a great idea and begins to spread table salt over his path in preparation for the postman the following morning. The ice begins to melt almost instantly and Sam was very pleased. However, as the temperature continues to drop the melted ice re¬freezes.
    Around midnight, while Sam was asleep, William was driving past Sam's house when his car broke down. Seeing that there was a light on in Sarn's house, William decided that he would see if he could get help. While William was walking up the path he noticed that it was very slippy. William was about to get off the path when he slipped, sliding down a steep embankment which had been obscured by some hedging. As a result of the fall, William broke his leg and could not move. Despite calling at the top of his voice no one came to his aid. The postman found William the next morning suffering from severe frostbite.
    Advise William of any potential claim in tort against Sam for these events.

Causation of the injury - neglected path, icy path, broken-down car, or simply the exceptionally cold weather? Apply the 'but for' test - 'but for the wha' - Wm wouldn't be hurt'?

Duty of care - maybe yes to the postman obviously, but how foreseeable is it that a stranger (in law and in the colloquial sense) will come up the path in the middle of the night? Statutory duty owed under the OL Act? Is Wm a visitor, licensee or trespasser? What standard is owed to each category?

Has there been reasonable discharge of the duty of care - the salt?

I personally wouldn't find that difficult, I think if you talked through a few questions with someone you ought to pick up how to analyse the fact patterns.

Q4 in March 2010 was a classic essay:
    QUESTION FOUR
    The distinction between causation and remoteness is one that is neither helpful nor desirable in our legal system as they are really the same question asked in a different form.
    Critically discuss this statement referring to relevant authority.

You could do worse than preparing the bones of an answer to a question like that, if you like doing essays. It is framed in a very conceptual way. Keeping the question in mind, read the chapters in McMahon & Binchy on causation & remoteness, and just jot down the best points that will make up your essay. The exercise should help you absorb the key principles of each concept from an exam question viewpoint.

PS - I scan my exam papers for my own records, I didn't spent all morning typing this!

I'm pretty sure that Q3 is occupiers liability, more so than negligence, and since the 1995 Act replace the CL that should be applied

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I'm pretty sure that Q3 is occupiers liability, more so than negligence, and since the 1995 Act replace the CL that should be applied

Having given it more though you are probably right - it is 95% OL. I put up that answer too early this morning I suppose! Still, it serves the purpose to some extent I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Hi,

Can anyone sum up the company law case of crindle investments v wymes (SC), I cant get to grips with it from the manual

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Hi All

I'd be inclined to suggest that the principles of negligence tend to be very straight forward, and are to be discussed exactly in the same manner as you find them in many text-books. The difficulty as you suggest is that the questions are often framed in a manner that makes you second guess which principles to focus on.

I always found that the best way to approach the questions is to first identify the potential plaintiff/s and defendant/s.

Then for Common Law Negligence I'd next examine the facts using the elements of Proximity and Foreseeability, to determine if there is a Duty of Care owed. This is mostly a given, but it needs to be addressed none the less as it's a required proof.

If a statutory duty applies, that would need to be examined and identified.

It would have to be shown that the defendant breached the duty of care owed to the plaintiff, by not meeting the requisite standard. It should be noted that there are various different standards owed by and to different classes of individuals. Case-law and statute law inform these standards.

One would have to be satisfied that a recoverable harm has been suffered, that the damage isn't too remote and that the breach of duty has caused the injury suffered by the plaintiff. This analysis will often involve discussion of multiple causes, Novus Actus, and Legal and Factual Causes, among other potential issues.

The above analysis should be carried out in your head while you read the question. If you think you can relate each of the elements of a negligence action to the facts of a particular question, then you can be 80% sure you've probably identified the question properly. It can be very difficult in the exam due to the fact that the questions, as you pointed out are often hard enough to classify on the spot, particularly under the pressure of time management.

Typically, if you have misidentified a question, and know your material, you will realise that at an early stage of attempting to answer the question, so don't panic, just put a line through it and work on.

After identifying the broad area of Tort/Negligence that the question falls within, a second and third reading of the question should indicate what principles need to be focused on as opposed to being just mentioned. These will always be the principles that arise from facts within the question which tend to give rise to contentious issues.

Make sure you know all about how courts deal differently with Pure Economic Loss, and why they treat this category of loss differently. Also know why there are different standards of care. Aside from the obvious reason that such will most likely arise in some form or other on the paper, being able to understand why different rules apply will give you a better overall understanding of the basic principles of Negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Anyone know of a fairly good EU nutshells that I could buy, just to trim the major points and cram for the exam???

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Guys ..would you be safe enough in EU and be guaranteed 5 questions if you left out
    All Competition Law and The Brussels Convention.. I wouldnt be hopeful of being able to answer the case note Q either but would think Brussels is very unlikely to strike two times in a row? Anyone else sitting EU thinking along these lines?

glengirlie wrote: »
    Anyone know of a fairly good EU nutshells that I could buy, just to trim the major points and cram for the exam???

Not really..Esp with Lisbon changes..Not sure if there is a comprehensive Nutshells etc published yet but sont think so..Sorry!

• Advertisement

Dylan123 wrote: »
    Are bookmarks allowed in the book: treaties and legislation?

You can tab and underline but you cannot write on the text or on the tabs that you have on the book either..I had to take all my tabs off last sitting in EU cause I had the Article Numbers written on the tabs.

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    can somebody give me the name of the companies act u can bring in theres a few editions???

Just get the Student Edition of the Companies Acts 1963 to 2009.. You can get them in any bookshop that carries legal texts. Think they are in or around €100/130!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

Thanks a million FrustratedTC, JCJCJC and littlemac1980 for yer imput. You have clarify it some what for me and Im hoping that its still early days and with more time and effort put it I might get the swing of it.

However from reading over some of his reports, on certain questions, he doesnt say what exacly he was even looking for and instead quotes This question opened significant possibilities for well-prepared candidates who understood the issues involved. Which is leading me to believe that if we give a good enough argument to his question, we'll do well and its what ever we perceive the area to be... (Yes maybe I am abit of a chancer:P)

Maybe its a long shot theory but nonetheless I think the examiner is confusing a fairly straight forward subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 persistent

Anyone know what time Tort tutorial in Independent Colleges is on at on Sat/Sun?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Thanks a million FrustratedTC, JCJCJC and littlemac1980 for yer imput. You have clarify it some what for me and Im hoping that its still early days and with more time and effort put it I might get the swing of it.

However from reading over some of his reports, on certain questions, he doesnt say what exacly he was even looking for and instead quotes This question opened significant possibilities for well-prepared candidates who understood the issues involved. Which is leading me to believe that if we give a good enough argument to his question, we'll do well and its what ever we perceive the area to be... (Yes maybe I am abit of a chancer:P)

Maybe its a long shot theory but nonetheless I think the examiner is confusing a fairly straight forward subject.

No problem, happy to try and help.

I think you are right to approach most of the questions with the attitude you've outlined.

Always make sure you check at the beginning to see which potential party you are advising, he often throws a curve ball on that aspect of the question, and that can significantly alter the nature of your answer. I can't stress that enough.

There was a question on the Autumn 2010 paper, which, though I can't remember the exact details, I think appeared to be a Medical Negligence question but was in fact a Vicarious Liability question. (As far as I recall - I don't have the paper to hand). In any event, it became clear, when people began to discuss the paper on boards.ie that a large number of people never checked to see who they were supposed to be advising and consequently discussed the wrong principles of law.

In terms of putting forward an argument, my belief is that you should, where possible look at both where an action might succeed and fail, but form an opinion and attempt to drive that home to the examiner. That's essentially what Tort Litigation is all about and it will certainly work in your favour as you have suggested it might.

Just wondering out of curiosity, how do people generally score in these exams, and how many sittings is the average?just interested in knowing lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just wondering out of curiosity, how do people generally score in these exams, and how many sittings is the average?just interested in knowing lol!

I would think the average would. Be 3-4 sittings

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnny789

Hey anybody got any tips for Constitutional exam? Seriously stressed and trying to cut it down...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 solicitor?

just started studying for criminal, company, constitutional and eu today. did not realise how much work was involved. is it realistic to try and pass all four or should i focus on just three?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

solicitor? wrote: »
    just started studying for criminal, company, constitutional and eu today. did not realise how much work was involved. is it realistic to try and pass all four or should i focus on just three?

Its too late. The deadline to sign up has passed AGES ago. You will have to wait till October

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement