Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dinobeano

Lads, i share this Constitutional pain with ye. I am absolutely demented. I'm not even 50% through it yet, absolutely huge course and it's scary as hell the way pretty much anything can be examined. Bearing in mind the examiner is always telling us to keep topical issues to mind, i reckon property rights in light of McKillen Nama case, fair procedures in light of Ivor Callely expenses scandal, Article 26, the family in light of new Civil Partnership Act are all worth keeping in mind. That is just my opinion though. I really regret not doing a course for constitutional now, there is just an insurmountable mountain of material to get through. I am reluctant to leave anything out- for example i will try to cover every facet of separation of powers because this is examined pretty much every year, as are rights in some form or another. Can anybody recommend a concise textbook or materials that might help- my logic is is it better to know a little about a lot instead of a lot about a little. Time is running away from us too quickly altogether :-(

Hey Stresshead and R/scorned, and all poor eejits sitting constitutional,
    Yea, ur probably right - better to know a little about alot, but we've all been told to know the big areas inside and out:

S.O.P,
    Due process/ Fair Procedures,
    Locus Standi,
    The unspecified rights(tonnes of those),
    Equality,
    Freedom of exp,
    Religion,
    Private Property...the list goes on.

But I've been looking through past papers and there are so many questions on areas that we may not think as worthy of huge amounts of study time. For example:

Retroactivity,
    Directive principles of social policy,
    Presumption of constitutionality,
    Const. jurisdiction of lower courts/major and minor offences,
    International law and the const,
    Right to one's good name,
    Natural Law Approach to const.interpretation etc....

What do ye think, should we be studying these topics in detail(preparing essays etc), just to cover ourselves, incase we get a really tough paper?
    Apologies if I'm coming off as neurotic but I just have to pass this g.d .exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Retroactivity,

I dont think I would leave out natural law or right to one goods name as if you get something in line with Iver Callelly you will need to know fair procedures etc. Art 45 came up last year so that would be one to leave out. I think the president generally and also art 26 is one to do.

Hard to know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Yes there are a lot of people on this thread how share your pain. I wont mention how many times I have sat this exam and I keep missing it by about 4 and 6 %.

I have the nutshells this time and it is an up to date edition SOP is done very well in it precise and to the point. I have done the GCD on line and I think you are better off knowing a bit about each area as opposed to a lot about one area. The posting below yours I think is how to narrow it down as those are the areas that I am doing as well as natural law, right to a good name and retrospecivity. It is just not possible to cover everything in Cost. Brian Foley if you look back in Sept did an over of what should be covered and you might also find that helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nna87

Hi all,

was wondering if anyone has attended any of the Griffith intensive revision courses and if its worth attending for the EU seminar?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 StressHead!

dinobeano wrote: »
    Hey Stresshead and R/scorned, and all poor eejits sitting constitutional,
    Yea, ur probably right - better to know a little about alot, but we've all been told to know the big areas inside and out:

S.O.P,
    Due process/ Fair Procedures,
    Locus Standi,
    The unspecified rights(tonnes of those),
    Equality,
    Freedom of exp,
    Religion,
    Private Property...the list goes on.

But I've been looking through past papers and there are so many questions on areas that we may not think as worthy of huge amounts of study time. For example:

Retroactivity,

What do ye think, should we be studying these topics in detail(preparing essays etc), just to cover ourselves, incase we get a really tough paper?
    Apologies if I'm coming off as neurotic but I just have to pass this g.d .exam.

I seem to have only have one case on retrospectivity: Am I right in thinking that Re Article 26 (Health Amendment Bill) covers that area?

I think re the presumption of constitutionality that it might be a good one to have a paragraph prepared on, because it might be a handy one to throw into problem questions to flesh them out. I know that's not a great approach to study but it could be a means of damage control in times of desperation!!

I for one am losing sleep over the fact that I might not recognise the topics being asked when I go into the exam! After all this effort that would be a heartbreaker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

nna87 wrote: »
    Hi all,

was wondering if anyone has attended any of the Griffith intensive revision courses and if its worth attending for the EU seminar?

Thanks

I attended three and they're great! Well worth it for tips and for running over the course. You get peace of mind afterwards knowing how much you actually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fe1sagain

Would anybody have a copy of the Oct 2010 examiner report for EU?

Could email past papers for EU or property in exchange?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

Starting to wonder what the best method is in studying criminal law... very little separation of the topics if at all!

I was thinking of learning definitions for everything! seem like a 100% memory test... which is fair enough as any criminal solicitor will need to know their stuff. (winge winge winge)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Dylan123 wrote: »
    Starting to wonder what the best method is in studying criminal law... very little separation of the topics if at all!

I was thinking of learning definitions for everything! seem like a 100% memory test

In fairness though it is probably the shortest course out of the 8. Learning everything requires the same amount of work as learning half of EU in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

Just a quick question - where in the companies Acts would one find "Model Reg. 3"? Or is it in it? I thought, maybe I'm wrong, that there were model articles of association in the Consolidation Acts. Or maybe I'm completely confused! Arghh help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

So having a 'slight' panic as regards the equity exam. Those who are doing/have done equity - would you say I would be covered doing:
    - Injunctions
    - Specific Perf
    - 3 Certainties/Formal Requirements/Complete Constitution
    - Resulting Trusts
    - Secret Trusts
    - Cy-Pres Doc
    - Charitable Trusts
    - Remedies
    - Maxims
    - Satisfaction
    - Estoppel (if i can)

Or would i need to do anymore?
    Has anyone heard of any tips yet? Still working full-time but off monday until the exams. Bring on 1st April.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Law Society to close law school in Cork.

Fan-bloody-Tastic

Link to the article in The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tony28

Hi im sitting tort but couldnt afford to fork out on the course this time round
    Can anyone give me any main cases /areas of development that I may have missed,also does anyone else find this subject impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

tony28 wrote: »
    Hi im sitting tort but couldnt afford to fork out on the course this time round
    Can anyone give me any main cases /areas of development that I may have missed,also does anyone else find this subject impossible

No-one can say what you may have missed until you outline what you've already hit.

The new Defamation Act is one major development in tort law, and there has been a lot of defamation litigation in the media in the past year or so.

We all find different things difficult or easy - I can cope with tort well enough but I really detest EU law. If some bugger ever walks into a law office in Cahirciveen where I may be working on a fine sunny July morning and says 'I want to sue the Council and the Commission' I'll tell him to ....make himself scarce.

Highly likely scenario, I think you'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LegalEagle89

wez99950 wrote: »
    So having a 'slight' panic as regards the equity exam. Those who are doing/have done equity - would you say I would be covered doing:
    - Injunctions
    - Specific Perf
    - 3 Certainties/Formal Requirements/Complete Constitution
    - Resulting Trusts
    - Secret Trusts
    - Cy-Pres Doc
    - Charitable Trusts
    - Remedies
    - Maxims
    - Satisfaction
    - Estoppel (if i can)

Or would i need to do anymore?
    Has anyone heard of any tips yet? Still working full-time but off monday until the exams. Bring on 1st April.....

Think I'm doing pretty much the same, ross awlyward from GCD tipped rectification and constructive trusts so I'm doing those and prob leaving out estoppel. (maybe even specific performance if i'm stuck!) So sick of it at this stage motivation going out the window- bad idea with learning off to do and less than 2 weeks to go!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Law Society to close law school in Cork.

Fan-bloody-Tastic

Link to the article in The Irish Times

major pita for those of us in the South and South-East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

can anyone explain the facts of La Moselle Clothing for company???

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Think I'm doing pretty much the same, ross awlyward from GCD tipped rectification and constructive trusts so I'm doing those and prob leaving out estoppel. (maybe even specific performance if i'm stuck!) So sick of it at this stage motivation going out the window- bad idea with learning off to do and less than 2 weeks to go!

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know someone else is thinking along the same lines as myself! Yea i'm thinking of leaving out estoppel as well. Wasn't going to to constructive trusts but i might if it's been tipped.
    Have u heard of any other tips?

Oh come here, i'm nowhere near learning off yet! still note taking. My poor hand is red raw from all the writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

wez99950 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. It's good to know someone else is thinking along the same lines as myself! Yea i'm thinking of leaving out estoppel as well. Wasn't going to to constructive trusts but i might if it's been tipped.
    Have u heard of any other tips?

Oh come here, i'm nowhere near learning off yet! still note taking. My poor hand is red raw from all the writing!

What's constructive trusts like to learn, i was thinking of leaving it out and doing trusteeship instead?

I'm also still note taking, plz dont say every1 is learning already!!!

• Advertisement

Dylan123 wrote: »

I was thinking of learning definitions for everything! seem like a 100% memory test... which is fair enough as any criminal solicitor will need to know their stuff. (winge winge winge)

I've just been writing notes really, but then i looked at the prob q and its actually really difficult to give a good answer cos i can't remember the provisions and specific ingredients of each offence!!
    U leaving anything out?i'm thinking of leaving out practice and procedure, do u think that would be a silly risk to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Just a quick question - where in the companies Acts would one find "Model Reg. 3"? Or is it in it? I thought, maybe I'm wrong, that there were model articles of association in the Consolidation Acts. Or maybe I'm completely confused! Arghh help!

You will find it at the back of the 1963 Act in schedule A (in the Tottel consolidated student version of the Acts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 akom

Thank God there are still some not at the learning off stage yet!!!

Im actually cracking up..wont be at learning off stage for another few days anyway..and thats with taking chances and risks with what im learning!!
    Please tell me there's some more out there like this?!!!

Can't imagine ever being finished these!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

What's constructive trusts like to learn, i was thinking of leaving it out and doing trusteeship instead?

Trusteeship is definately worth doing at any rate and is reasonably short (focus on the circumstances in which a trustee can be removed or when he/she can retire + the following duties (a) duty not to profit from the trust (b) duty to invest (c) the duty to properly exercise discretion (Re Hastings - Bass).

Constructive trusts (which arise by operation of law) could feature in a question on the duties of Trustees in the context of a trustee making an unauthorised profit from their position. This would be in breach of their fiduciary duties and they would then hold the unauthorised profit on constructive trust for the trust beneficiaries. The topics to look at under constructive trusts are (a) fiduciary relationships and unauthorised profits (b)imposition of a constructive trust on strangers to the trust and (c) dishonest assistance.

I am still going to do estoppel and specific performance, no harm in having them in reserve at any rate.

As for people not being at the learning stage, I'm still looking at my notes mountain and hoping to cram it all in. I admire those people who have everything on a few pages of notes. I might try mind mapping for the next set of exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmol

Hey probably a stupid question but where can you get a copy of the succession act to bring with you to the property exam???

itsmol wrote: »
    Hey probably a stupid question but where can you get a copy of the succession act to bring with you to the property exam???

Government Publications
    Postal Trade Section
    4 - 5 Harcourt Road
    Dublin 2
    Ireland
    Tel: + 353 1 647 6000 They'll take a credit card order over the phone. Most biggish bookshops have it too in their legal section, and college bookshops have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Just in relation to people who are still note taking, how many exams are you all sitting? And how many days are you planning on using for learning topics? So fed up of this at this stage just want them done...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Still note taking too - glad to know not alone, will be lucky to be learning by Monday. Such a drag esp Constitutional :(

Our worries are small compared to what's happening in Japan today. Hard not to keep watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

glengirlie wrote: »
    Still note taking too - glad to know not alone, will be lucky to be learning by Monday. Such a drag esp Constitutional :(

Still note taking tooo!!!! Either we are all on a winner or we are all screwed!!! I reckon the former!!! Anyways it beats doing nothing! In a bad way re Cons too!!:eek: Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement