Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Anyone?

I haven't the GCD manual open but I do have McMahon & Binchy, pm me if that's any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Does anyone know if disqualification of directors ever came up in company law before? I've looked through the past papers (up until Oct'05) but there seems to be no sign of that topic at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Misfeasance... Anyone know if it's dealt with in Griffith tort manual? Thought I knew the manual in and out but I can't find it anywhere!!!:confused:

Had a quick look through my tort manual and i didnt see any mention of Misfeasance. think it relates more to company law and constitutional. it relates to the improper performance of a lawful act.
    I have a hand out on it but it comes under Privacy and misfeasance in public office. it goes into the case of Three rivers District Council v Bank of England (no.3) and the case of Kennedy v Law society of Ireland.
    i wouldnt worry too much about it for tort.
    sorry couldnt help you out more tho.
    good luck on tues!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

steph86 wrote: »
    Had a quick look through my tort manual and i didnt see any mention of Misfeasance. think it relates more to company law and constitutional. it relates to the improper performance of a lawful act.
    I have a hand out on it but it comes under Privacy and misfeasance in public office. it goes into the case of Three rivers District Council v Bank of England (no.3) and the case of Kennedy v Law society of Ireland.
    i wouldnt worry too much about it for tort.
    sorry couldnt help you out more tho.
    good luck on tues!

Thanks a million. You too!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

I'm using an IC manual, no mention of it!Where have u seen it, was it a q before?
    Hows every1 feeling for tort, i still gota lot to learn!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

I'm using an IC manual, no mention of it!Where have u seen it, was it a q before?
    Hows every1 feeling for tort, i still gota lot to learn!!

Scared, very scared!!
    Anyone else think he has a way of asking the questions that you actually dont know what area is wants?? Being unable to identify what he's looking for is my big fear :eek:

I've found that too, he bombards us with facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Yeah, scares the crap out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

found it last night when doing extra reading it is under acts and omissions.

I quote "While the law of negligence requires us not to injure our neighbour by our acts or omissions this has largely meant that we must not actively harm someone who is our neighbour (misfeasance)"

this is the way is is quoted in the nutshells what help it does but at least it is mentioned somewhere and you were not going gaga.

Looking through the book and doing damages can anyone tell me what is the capping of damages for defamation. Cant remember the case last year where the guy was awarded a couple of million by a jury. is this under appeal and what is the name of the case?. have tried looking it up but nothing comes up?.

Also in relation to personal injuries the book states McEneaney -v- Monagahan here an award of £300000 (punts) was made does anyone know what this case was about.

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Kinsella v Kenmare - handy article in this law society gazette about it and damages in defamation in general http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/Gazette/Gazette%202011/JanuaryFebruary2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

Trespass to the person and product liability did not come up last Oct did it??? Examiner reports suggest it did not......... perhaps 2 of the near favorites

thanks for that it is a great help.

pink101 wrote: »
    found it last night when doing extra reading it is under acts and omissions.

I quote "While the law of negligence requires us not to injure our neighbour by our acts or omissions this has largely meant that we must not actively harm someone who is our neighbour (misfeasance)"

this is the way is is quoted in the nutshells what help it does but at least it is mentioned somewhere and you were not going gaga.

I worked for a County Council for quite some time, and the doctrine is well known in that domain. Imagine a pothole in the road, and how the County Council might respond.
    1) do nothing - that's a non-feasance. No liability in Ireland, yes in England, due to the non-activation of the relevant section of the Civil Liabilities Act 1961.
    2) Do a repair very badly, such that a pedestrian trips over it and suffers injury or similar facts, maybe fail to erect proper warning signs, barriers, lights etc - that's a mis-feasance.
    3) Lay a landmine in the pothole (exaggerating to make the point) so that the next person coming along will be badly injured by the 'repair' - that's a mal-feasance.

Misfeasance would be the most commonly litigated type of the above actions in relation to tort law.

Hope that explains it a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Can anyone tell me what the issues are in question 4 of the Autumn 10 Constitutional paper please?

Cheers

Hope everyone is well today.
    Last minute serious cramming for Tort. Have forgotten about Company for now. Thats gonna be left for probably an all nighter in the hotel afterwards! That, or i'll get seriously drunk. If anyone is staying in the IBIS and wants to do either of these things after tort lemme know! lol.

Right now my frame of mind is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!!! :D

Does anybody know how do you get into the Red Cow car park, approaching via the M7 from the South?

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Does anybody know how do you get into the Red Cow car park, approaching via the M7 from the South?
    I think you just go through the red cow roundabout following the signs for city centre and then you'll be on the road for the red cow, as far as I remember from passing it the other day its on the opposite side of the road so you'll have to go down that road somewhat and then try to turn around. Theres a McDonalds a bit of the way down on the left hand side so if you go in there you could probable switch lanes... I know I'm being confusing. Sorry! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

This is what I intend to do

Let me know if that map didnt come out right

Hogzy wrote: »

Its only gonna take you 2 and a half hours to get from Cork???? jaysus!!

• Advertisement

I have made it in 2:05 before (Not going above 130kmh)

I have made it in 2:05 before (Not going above 130kmh)

Nearly takes that long on the bus from Carlow. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Hi everyone, hope study is going ok. Just wondering is the only time to leave in the Companies Acts during examination hours? Just means I have to get up quite early to make Dublin!

The new motorways really make an incredible difference - I travelled from Kerry to Dublin lately in an Avensis 1.6 which is no ball of fire and it averaged 67mph and stayed within the limit - you can set the cruise on 120kph and you're doing four miles in three minutes that way, the journey times are really brilliant now. I have 130 miles of fast motorway from home to the Red Cow now, the only stop is the toll gate - so I'll be driving up on thursday morning. I'll be in the Ibis on thursday night and one quiet pint might be in order if anybody is about?

This is what I intend to do

Let me know if that map didnt come out right

Hogzy - I did it in Google maps too and it said to me that you can make the u-turn at the Long Mile Rd roundabout. My main concern is the traffic build-ups in that area in the morning, I got caught there a few weeks ago. If I have to, I'll park in front of Homebase in Kylemore and get the Luas back one stop to Red Cow.

JC

The new motorways really make an incredible difference - I travelled from Kerry to Dublin lately in an Avensis 1.6 which is no ball of fire and it averaged 67mph and stayed within the limit - you can set the cruise on 120kph and you're doing four miles in three minutes that way, the journey times are really brilliant now. I have 130 miles of fast motorway from home to the Red Cow now, the only stop is the toll gate - so I'll be driving up on thursday morning. I'll be in the Ibis on thursday night and one quiet pint might be in order if anybody is about?

a quiet pint before constitutional? MADNESS!!!
    not sitting the lovely subject that is constitutional this time, i'm there tomorrow night. Got a superior queen room. I'll probably spend the whole time having baths and stealing shower caps. I hope they have red bull at the bar. Maybe I should bring my own...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

Dylan123 wrote: »
    Trespass to the person and product liability did not come up last Oct did it??? Examiner reports suggest it did not......... perhaps 2 of the near favorites

Trespass to the person did not nor did trespass to land my opinion one of them is a definite. Product Liability/ Defective product's up last year an every other since this examiner started.

I think for tort the most likely are:

Defamation
    Trespass to person
    Product liability
    Nervous shock
    Vicarious liability/employers

Does anyone know if the Presumption of Advancement (Resulting Trusts) has ever come up before?

Are people covering it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Does anyone know if the Presumption of Advancement (Resulting Trusts) has ever come up before?

Are people covering it?

Presumption of advancement does indeed come up- usually in those three part questions where you write a note on 2/3 of the topics. It also comes up as a B part of ART questions. I would defo cover it, think joint deposit a/cs came up last 2 sittings so examiner might switch over to automatic and actually it's very learnable, nice and concise and neat! Bulletpoint it anyway just in case maybe.

As for sounds of a quick pint before constitutional- i would actually be worried i would get carried away trying to numb the impending dread and doom! I too am staying in a superior queensize bedded room in Ibis, I'll prob get lost in the bed, heading up tomorrow because i dont feel like making the pilgrimage from Cork on Wednesday esp when i have exams Thurs and Fri- I am hoping to swallow the information and just praying it will come out in some form on paper during exams!

Can i just ask- because i am only an innocent fe1 first timer, does anybody else have the fear of god in them that they won't be able to answer five questions or that they might even fail an exam? I have never failed an exam before. Like everybody on this forum presumably- if I get asked what I have prepared I will be fine but if that doesn't come up I'll be fooked! all I want is 50 on the button a pop and I will be delirah! If i don't get 3/4 this time around I will be doing all 8 next October (which means exams on my birthday boo-hiss) because I am due to start my traineeship in Dublin next May.

I think law degrees are the most useless creation ever. I should have studied zoology and then attempted FE1s!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement