Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ob1kanobee

any intuitions about Equity??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Well what can i say. It was a hard paper I thought a lot in it but it is over. Sat it in Cork and spoke to a few people after it and they all agreed there was a lot going on in the paper.

They were annoyed that Presumption of Innocence came up as a full question as this was a question for evidence. I did it anyway. Two and a half pages what more can you do for a question like that. You can't waffle as he does not want that and will penalise you for it.

anyone that it is interested the topics were

Essay Provocation
    Essay Presumption of Innocence
    Prob - Intoxication
    Prob - rape
    prob - contempt of court, perjury and murder

They are the five I did anyway. Why does he have to mix the offences as if the exam was not hard enough.

Did anyone get any tips for EU.

Pink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Pampers25

Pink I did the same as you. I thought it was really hard but actually better than I expected at the same time. This is the first time I am attempting the FE-1's and I had psyched myself up for a much harder paper than this. I thought it was quite straight forward. Hope everyone did well. I sat it in Dublin and there were an awful lot of worried faces. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Hi,
    Just got back from Criminal, thought it went fairly well .... and then I read boards.

Didn't spot intoxication, can anyone tell me which one it was, freaking out cause I had that down to a tee.

Otherwise think the paper was alright, the mixing was annoying, trying to get it all down in that time frame is fairly tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

Nightowl84 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just got back from Criminal, thought it went fairly well .... and then I read boards.

Didn't spot intoxication, can anyone tell me which one it was, freaking out cause I had that down to a tee.

Otherwise think the paper was alright, the mixing was annoying, trying to get it all down in that time frame is fairly tough.

Nah Nightowl - fairly sure intoxication wasn't on the paper. Hopefully just a typo there by Pink. Thought it was a fair enough paper. Good range of questions. It was long though!

Anyone doing Company? I know that'll be my undoing. Freak out anytime I see it. Haunting memories of final year exam in UCC methinks.....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

I sat crim in Dublin today and totally messed up my fifth question - does anyone think you can pass on 4 okish (I think) and a rubbish question?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Hey AKK,

Thanks for saving me from a cardiac arrest!!

To be honest didn't really rate the quality of my answers, but I answered 5 anyway so mission accomplished, reckon you're well on your way if you get 5 down.
    I did the first essay, provocation essay, that problem q on omissions/manslughter? (total blag fest), inchoate prob, and sexual offences.
    Found the sexual offences took a fair bit of time.

Speaking of blagfests, bring on constitution on Friday.......

I'm doing Company on Wednesday anyone any tips or pointers for me... plleeeeeeeease!! :D:D

Is there anything in particular that people are covering for Company Law. I was thinking:

1. Types of Companies.
    2. Formation of Companies.
    3. Consequences of Formation: Separate Legal Personality.
    4. Directors. How appointed. How removed.
    5. Directors’ duties. To whom are they owed? Usually only the company. Restriction and Disqualification Orders against directors. Liability of directors for reckless and fraudulent trading.
    6. Liquidations.
    7. Investigations and Enforcement of Company Law

And hopeing for the best!! :o

[Didn't spot intoxication

Christ that was a typo sorry for giving everyone including myself a heart attack. I did the five but my calaber of answer was a lot to be said for. Have to get calmers for EU. Anyone know what to take as I completely plank it going in. Did not settle myself until after 10 which is too much time thinking about what I know but can't sort out in my brian.

any tips for EU yet. anyone talking to anyone sitting it. Such a large subject surely there is a definite on something.

I have been told to do.

Supremacy
    Direct Effect
    State Liability
    ECHR
    All the Movements
    and 81 and 82

Have the nutshells and Griffith book but be careful on free movement of people in Nutshells as it does not mention about Directive 2006 which is very important. Going into town to see if there is a more upto date nutshells.

Pink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

pink101 wrote: »
    [Didn't spot intoxication

Christ that was a typo sorry for giving everyone including myself a heart attack. I did the five but my calaber of answer was a lot to be said for. Have to get calmers for EU. Anyone know what to take as I completely plank it going in. Did not settle myself until after 10 which is too much time thinking about what I know but can't sort out in my brian.

any tips for EU yet. anyone talking to anyone sitting it. Such a large subject surely there is a definite on something.

I have been told to do.

Supremacy
    Direct Effect
    State Liability
    ECHR
    All the Movements
    and 81 and 82

Have the nutshells and Griffith book but be careful on free movement of people in Nutshells as it does not mention about Directive 2006 which is very important. Going into town to see if there is a more upto date nutshells.

Pink

I passed criminal with 5 very sketchy answers. I think that it's normal to take half an hour to settle. You could take rescue remedy or something but I think that there is a lot to be said for adrenaline. Especially for the last half an hour of the exam when you're running on empty.

Oh lordy, I was hoping to leave out the fundamental rights and ECHR, ick.

adrenaline.

Do you get that in the chemist?. Have to try in. Was a total mess yesterday. Thought only doing one and trying EU that I would be calmer but the same as when I sat the four.

pink 101

Punches

Read your post again do you mean not taking anything. Sure a half hour is never enough in one of these exams.

pink

Punches

Probably ok to leave these out if you have all others covered. Tho I though you were guaranteed a questions on the freedoms.

Pink

p.s. sorry for all separate replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Not to worry about all the separate answers, sure ya made me feel popular. Adrenaline is what makes you feel panicky before the exam, it's not nice but what I was saying is that it helps you in the long run. Without it, I'd fall asleep in the middle of the exam. Try rescue remedy though, if it is really bothering you. Most of my friends had already finished their FE-1s by the time I started and the one thing they all said to me was not to panic if it took me half an hour to read the paper and settle down. In college exams you have a fair idea of what is going to be asked so it doesn't take as long to get a handle on the paper. It's better to take 20 minutes at the start of the exam to formulate your thoughts and disentangle the article 230s from the article 90s. If you know going in that the first 20/30 minutes will be spent in this way then it might help you calm down.

I think that the second set were by far the most panic inducing for me anyway.

I'm doing fundamental freedoms alright, it's the rights that I think are going to have to be skipped. Those and competition. In my wisdom, I decided to leave competition out which was stupid. Can't be helped now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

pink101 wrote: »
    adrenaline.

Do you get that in the chemist?.

Haha I'm sorry but are you having a laugh?

Have you tried speed? You can usually get if off a dodgey looking character down a laneway.

McCrack if I took speed I would probably die as I am a mature student. I will have a zimmer frame by the time I finish these bloody exams.

Pink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Ah no seriously as someone who has sat (and passed) these exams I will say they are demanding. You need to be very focused and consistent with your study. Dont rely on tips and everything and anything is liable to come up. Obviously with each subject there are "bankers" like stuff that just keeps reappearing and you need to be on top of these.

Keep to the time, be sure to answer 5 Q, 4 excellent Q might not be enough to get you over the 50 so make sure to answer 5.

Em I suppose I would also say there is no point in panicking, I mean if the info isnt in your head at this stage what can you do? Just make sure that it is for next April. At the end of the day if you know your stuff you shouldnt be panicking you should be confident.

Good luck.

McCrack wrote: »
    Ah no seriously as someone who has sat (and passed) these exams I will say they are demanding. You need to be very focused and consistent with your study. Dont rely on tips and everything and anything is liable to come up. Obviously with each subject there are "bankers" like stuff that just keeps reappearing and you need to be on top of these.

Keep to the time, be sure to answer 5 Q, 4 excellent Q might not be enough to get you over the 50 so make sure to answer 5.

Em I suppose I would also say there is no point in panicking, I mean if the info isnt in your head at this stage what can you do? Just make sure that it is for next April. At the end of the day if you know your stuff you shouldnt be panicking you should be confident.

Good luck.

Agree with most of your post McCrack - imperative to answer 5 questions, vital not to panic. That said, it's a bit discouraging to say to someone "if the info isn't in your head at this stage what can you do? Just make sure that it is for next April". The exam Pink is talking about is, after all a full week away. A week is a load of time, particularly when the pressure kicks in and you really focus. So courage Pink! Another tip for calming yourself in the exam is to warm the palms of your hands together and then place them over your eyes. Take a couple of minutes and lots of deep breaths. Apparently the dark, warmth is meant to be soothing or something......!! Worth a try.

"if the info isn't in your head at this stage what can you do? Just make sure that it is for next April".

I don't agree with that comment because what is everyone cramming for then. Everyone does it and everyone leaves stuff for the last minute.

for Criminal I read on a thread that crime and tort had not come up in a year and I did it on Friday as an extra and it came up. Also contempt and perjury was an extra I did on Friday.

What is wrong with me is that I panic to the extent that my brain goes to mush and even though I have the work well done I just cant get it down on paper.

Sat the first four four times got two failed two, got the other two and then failed two. studied Land law for the weekend twice and then passed it. So calm going into the exam as I knew I was giving it a try only.

Will try the rescue remedy.

Pink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 irish_hic85

i also noticed with constitutional that if you study equality and freedom of expression you invariably get a question on every paper with the exception of one or two. if you also throw private property into the mix you would have got at least one question (sometimes 2 and sometimes 3) on all but two of the last 19 papers. equality came up the last time so isn't as likely this time but it's not difficult and is always worth covering

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gerryok1

Hi is anyone on here sitting const on Friday, really worried about it, did four good q's last time and one terrible one and got 46%. I did the direct course. Did they give any tips this time. any help would be appreciated.

did anyone else think company today was a nightmare? i'm still in shock.

did anyone else think company today was a nightmare? i'm still in shock.

Sorry to hear that Aprilsunshine. What came up? What was so bad about it? Seems to have been nasty papers the last couple of years. Although the flip side of that I suppose is that the standard will be lower and if you managed to squeeze out 5 qs you probably have a good chance of passing it.

I was supposed to sit it myself but just had too little done to make it worth my while to even attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Yup company was pretty bad for me. I managed 5 questions but I answered on receivers pretty much without studying it at all as my 5th! Aside from alot of stuff coming up which I wouldn't want, the form in which most stuff came up was fairly annoying.

Ah well onward and upward.

It was the general attitude that it was awful - so I suppose if it was bad across the board that is a good thing.
    None of the staples came up - no sep legal personality, no fixed or floating charges, only ONE director question....dreadful.

I did a passable attempt at object clauses and powers, a decent director question, a terrible s150 essay, I stumbled through a problem on recklessness, fraud and books of account and my last one was a pathetic attempt at retention of title clauses which I had glanced at on a whim at twenty past nine this morning.

So heres hoping constitutional is more forgiving because criminal wasn't too hot either!

johnfás wrote: »
    Yup company was pretty bad for me. I managed 5 questions but I answered on receivers pretty much without studying it at all as my 5th! Aside from alot of stuff coming up which I wouldn't want, the form in which most stuff came up was fairly annoying.

Ah well onward and upward.

Could you do the receiver q from the acts? I avoided it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Could you do the receiver q from the acts? I avoided it.

Well... there is the question! I did because I didn't have a whole lot of other choice. My other option was an even worse answer on ultra vires as I had concentrated on a completely different area of the law in that regard. My receivers answer was very sparse on case law and dominated by the duties of receivers in the 1963 Act - mainly the duty to get the best price obtainable at the time. I also went a bit into the fact that their charge probably wasn't registered so they were just unsecured creditors ya-di-ya-di-ya-da! But anyway not a great question.

Completely agree with you with the lack of the questions which I had expected to be there. Very little of what I had expected.

Just hope equity goes better for me on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hey, look we never know how we do until we know for sure! They are just dreadful but hopefully things will turn out. I just have EU left and basically have a week to get myself together, er actually under a week. I'm dreading it.

Could anybody tell me whether i can habd in y blackstones legislation on the morning of the exam. They differ from year to year. They always say no but sometimes allow it. What do you think? Otherwise it's a trek to dublin by train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

sorry, that should read "whether i can hand in my blackstones legislation the morning of the exam" I must have a shaky hand...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement