Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

ally10 wrote: »
    So what did everyone think of the Criminal paper...was it just me or was it a really nice paper??

Now to face EU :(

Wow fair play a rare expression of positivity re an Fe1 exam paper..... so afraid there are going to be quotas this round as no one is really complaining haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

JCJCJC wrote: »

When I came out of the Constitutional Exam today, my notes weren't where I had left them...

Got those notes today, they were handed in, thanks to all here for the concern and help. jc

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Do you need to know the old EC articles AND their new numbers when it comes to describing cases in the exam?

EG The Working Time Case where the UK challenged the EU directive which used article 118a of the old EC treaty (now articles 153-154)

Do I have to remember both 118a EC and 153-154 TFEU Or can I just put down one of those article numbers for the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

doing wrote: »
    Do you need to know the old EC articles AND there new numbers when it comes to describing cases in the exam?

EG The Working Time Case where the UK challenged the EU directive which used the article 118a of the old EC treaty (now articles 153-154)

Do I have to remember both 188a EC and 153-154 TFEU Or can I just put down one for the exam?

It helps but i wouldnt get too bogged down. Knowing the current article numbers under TFEU ad LTEU should be your main priority.

Hogzy wrote: »
    It helps but i wouldnt get too bogged down. Knowing the current article numbers under TFEU ad LTEU should be your main priority.

Well how much does it matter? I mean I wouldn't want to lose half my marks, on the other hand it's half the rote memorization so it's fairly crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CFOLEY85

Well how much does it matter? I mean I wouldn't want to lose half my marks, on the other hand it's half the rote memorization so it's fairly crucial.

I learnt the case by applying the new art 153 and 154....

From the examiner reports he says its ok to use old art reference where applicable, I suppose in the matter re: Uk v Com case, it would be applicable... whereas writing about art 267 in an essay and referring to it as art234 would not be applicable... IMO

CFOLEY85 wrote: »
    I learnt the case by applying the new art 153 and 154....

From the examiner reports he says its ok to use old art reference where applicable, I suppose in the matter re: Uk v Com case, it would be applicable... whereas writing about art 267 in an essay and referring to it as art234 would not be applicable... IMO

You're sure he said 'ok' as opposed to 'should'? Because if I can get away with not memorizing those old article numbers I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

You're sure he said 'ok' as opposed to 'should'? Because if I can get away with not memorizing those old article numbers I will.

Imo I think the examiner will be more worried about your application and use of the law... therefore, use the new numbers, they are there in front of you and the old numbers are exactly that, obsolete. This exam is meant to be a professional one i.e. law in practice, therefore I would say it makes sense to use current numbering!

With one limited exception; if you want to say something about a repealed article, then obviously you can't use the new numbering.

My two cents for all they are worth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

JoannN wrote: »
    Imo I think the examiner will be more worried about your application and use of the law... therefore, use the new numbers, they are there in front of you and the old numbers are exactly that, obsolete. This exam is meant to be a professional one i.e. law in practice, therefore I would say it makes sense to use current numbering!

With one limited exception; if you want to say something about a repealed article, then obviously you can't use the new numbering.

My two cents for all they are worth:)

Exactly. Knowing the old article numbers will be required if you intend on being in the top percentile of grades. However they are not required to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

ally10 wrote: »
    So what did everyone think of the Criminal paper...was it just me or was it a really nice paper??

Now to face EU :(

Well there is always one to throw a spanner in the works... i just wonder if you have seen the standard in a model answer and how close your questions came to it???

Personally i reckon i had two three answers which were almost in line with the model answers (ALMOST)... 1 or two which i could spot the main issues but failed to be precise... ie quote the exact law .. the precise cases and the precise section....

Its interesting to spot the issues - then see what the model answers state... i will almost always leave something out! Was told by someone you can think it was easy and fail... or u can think it was terrible and pass!

...anyway time to let it go... EU tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Nang

God I'm pretty surprised that everyone found criminal so easy today. It seemed to leave out most questions that you expect to come up like classifications/characteristics, intoxication, provocation, most assault offences.

I was definitely surprised to see a full question on Infancy, and forced to answer it given the lack of my knowledge of some of the other areas. Also those "hints" that omissions and strict liability were likely to come up were clearly bogus and detracted from my study time of other areas.

I just hope that the examiner will be nice! does anyone know the pass rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ally10

Dylan123 wrote: »
    Well there is always one to throw a spanner in the works... i just wonder if you have seen the standard in a model answer and how close your questions came to it???

Personally i reckon i had two three answers which were almost in line with the model answers (ALMOST)... 1 or two which i could spot the main issues but failed to be precise... ie quote the exact law .. the precise cases and the precise section....

Its interesting to spot the issues - then see what the model answers state... i will almost always leave something out! Was told by someone you can think it was easy and fail... or u can think it was terrible and pass!

...anyway time to let it go... EU tomorrow

I do know the standard for Criminal Law, I had one of the best lecturers in that area who taught me well. It also happens to be my best subject considering I got on quite well in my degree. I answered 5 good questions, outlined the law on each and applied it to the problem questions, I dont waste time spending more than 35 mins on each question, if you do then u tend to ramble and an examiner would prefer 4 pages of good law as opposed to 7/8 pages of waffle. I didnt say the paper was easy I said it was nice meaning manageable and fair.

Does anyone think that it would be possible to answer 5 questions in contract if I leave out exemption clauses, agency and the consumer protection stuff? They don't seem to come up that often or mixed into other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rebel86

Hi, Was hoping someone would be kind enough to answer my question on property law. Given that the rule in Wheedon v Burrows has been abolished in the LCLR Act 2009 (and please say that I am right in saying that), is in necessary to learn what the rule is?

Nang wrote: »
    Does anyone think that it would be possible to answer 5 questions in contract if I leave out exemption clauses, agency and the consumer protection stuff? They don't seem to come up that often or mixed into other questions.

I'd learn exemption clauses, just in case they come up as part of a problem question, and when I say learn I mean a quick glance at it. I'm leaving out agency and consumer protection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

rebel86 wrote: »
    Hi, Was hoping someone would be kind enough to answer my question on property law. Given that the rule in Wheedon v Burrows has been abolished in the LCLR Act 2009 (and please say that I am right in saying that), is in necessary to learn what the rule is?

I'd just know the fact that it was a way in which an easement was acquired by implication and that it was replaced by s.40 and what s.40 entails.. No need to go into detail on an abolished rule.

I'd just know the fact that it was a way in which an easement was acquired by implication and that it was replaced by s.40 and what s.40 entails.. No need to go into detail on an abolished rule.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

How does one find out the pass rates generally?ive heard criminal is marked toughly, what about tort equity and contract?

Do you need to know the case numbers for EU? Or can you just say the names of the case?

EG do you have to refer to case 4/73 Nold as:

(1)Case 4/73 Nold

or

(2) The Nold case.

Thanks whoever answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Hi Lads. I'm sitting property on Thursday, passed the exam last time (Oct. 2010) so left the a lot of my revision until late focusing on the exams I didn't get last time. Just wondering as to the effects the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 has had on the the area of Family Property? I just note the examiners report from the previous property exam read:

"In future years, candidates may also have to look at this [area] in relation to cohabiting couples and civil partners under the new Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi Lads. I'm sitting property on Thursday, passed the exam last time (Oct. 2010) so left the a lot of my revision until late focusing on the exams I didn't get last time. Just wondering as to the effects the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 has had on the the area of Family Property? I just note the examiners report from the previous property exam read:

"In future years, candidates may also have to look at this [area] in relation to cohabiting couples and civil partners under the new Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010".

That's a loud hint and you are right not to ignore it. Until the act is litigated by someone, however, all you can be asked is a 'write all you know' question. In respect of any new Act, the best tactic is read the explanatory memorandum, which you will find here. At this late stage, that's all you can do anyway so good luck with it - it's a total bugger having to repeat an exam you've already passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

How does one find out the pass rates generally?ive heard criminal is marked toughly, what about tort equity and contract?

Don't underestimate just how difficult it is to meet the 50%.....I have no idea even though I have been sitting them for two years just how they mark them! I found equity was marked hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

got two replies back from the Law School re above.
    see below

I refer to your comments in relation to the Red Cow venue. I will endeavour to ensure that this does not happen again.
    It would advise you to bring this to the attention of the invigilator on the day of the exam as he deals with queries in relation to the venue and exam.
    Regards,
    Fe-1 Section
    Thank you for your email.

We will bring the contents of your email to the attention of our invigilators and to the staff of the Red Cow.

Regards

The exam reports for company have stated the pass rate is as low as 30%. That's scary. I think contract is marked quite generously and yes criminal has a reputation for being marked quite meanly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

How did everyone find eu? i thought it was a nice enough paper to be fair although i was really suprise no q on competition or competence/ FR but that prob makes up for the fact there was a question on both competences and FR last sitting.

Hoping i got on ok. really stuck for time. Had less than ten mins to do three case note q( last resort as two of my areas didn't come up) ended up doing about 8 lines on three cases. not good but being optimistic that i mite at least pick up three marks.

at least thats the hard one done now. property n contract left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭skeenan89

steph86 wrote: »
    How did everyone find eu? i thought it was a nice enough paper to be fair although i was really suprise no q on competition or competence/ FR but that prob makes up for the fact there was a question on both competences and FR last sitting.

Hoping i got on ok. really stuck for time. Had less than ten mins to do three case note q( last resort as two of my areas didn't come up) ended up doing about 8 lines on three cases. not good but being optimistic that i mite at least pick up three marks.

i thot it was awful:( stuck for questions, ended up doing the one on capital and i hadnt even looked at it :( ughhhhh repeat in oct me guesses! just prayin i passed the other 3 cause im a first time sitter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ally10

steph86 wrote: »

I thought the same, I was shocked when I opened up the paper and could answer a good 4 and then thought I could waffle my way through a 5th, was expecting to be in for max an hour then leave! stayed writing right up till the end didnt finish the 5th question. hopefully its a pass, i dont think i could do EU for a 3rd time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 runfortheborder

blathblath wrote: »
    Don't underestimate just how difficult it is to meet the 50%.....I have no idea even though I have been sitting them for two years just how they mark them! I found equity was marked hard.

I found Equity was marked hard also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 T.Watson

Kinda suprised at how nice the EU paper was to be honest. I defo f**ked up the problem question I did but there was a couple of grand questions on there. Institutions one was ridiculously long (don't see why it was in 3 parts and had 4 parts for part 1 of it - how much is he expecting you to write!).

Property tomorrow and well I've sacrificed my time on EU so now I'm having a bit of a hail mary shot at it. Dum Dum Dummmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

JCJCJC wrote: »
    That's a loud hint and you are right not to ignore it. Until the act is litigated by someone, however, all you can be asked is a 'write all you know' question. In respect of any new Act, the best tactic is read the explanatory memorandum, which you will find here. At this late stage, that's all you can do anyway so good luck with it - it's a total bugger having to repeat an exam you've already passed.

Thanks a million for that, it's a bugger alright but such is the nature of these exams! I have the memo printed off so hopefully it's of some help. I hope my memory serves me well from last time for this!

Are you sitting property tomorrow yourself? If so, what are you covering?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement