Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Lucky with only one left! I've got another 4 to go :eek: (doing 5)

I don't know for sure regarding the submission of legislation on the day as it doesn't really say clearly on the literature they sent out. However, all I can tell you is I know someone who handed in the Companies Acts on their way in yesterday morning to the desk at the entrance and they brought it down to his desk about 20 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Thanks for that, i'll think i'll just chance it rather than lose a day going up and down monday then up again tuesday night!!! Yeah five is tough alright, i've been there. You'll get through, the worst thing about these exams is that the sheer thought of what might happen scares the hell out of us. I'll be rooting for ya, we are afterall, all in this together!!!!! g'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Satsuma

Should be safe enough handing it in, in the morning. Be there early I know in Cork that is what I intend to do. With constitutional i explained that I was coming from Limerick and that I could not get down the day before. Said no problem and it was on my desk when the exam started.

Pink

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Hi new here, i sat 4 FE-1s 2 years ago - passed Tort and contract and got 47% in Equity. I then got married and had a baby so put the exams on hold.
    I will be 31 next year and i have a 8 month old baby. Thinking of doing 5 and 3 exams next year, hopefully getting them all in Oct 09
    I have been made redundant and can afford not to go back so work so could study full time.
    Then hopefully get a place on PPC1 in Sept 2010.
    I am also planning on trying for a second (and probably last) baby early next year, hopefully having it towards end of 2009 so babies will be 2 years 9 months old and about 10-11 months old respectively at start of course.
    I didnt want to be qualified and then want to start a family at least this way ill have the babies over and can start concentrating on my career.
    My baby at the moment is great sleeping 12 hours a night from 3 months old so tiredness wont be a problem.
    Has anyone done something like this, everyone i know who has done it hasnt had a family and not planning on one for a while.
    I did Business and Legal studies in UCD.
    Thanks.

Hi Page

Fully support your cause. Did my degree in UL and was pregnant the first year with third child. All were under 4 doing the degree. Have like you failed a few FE1 but have managed the four. Am working a three day in a Solicitors office as I was a legal secretary for 10 years before doing degree. Apprenticeship practically done as I am a legal exec but FE1 are taking a while. Go for it you will manage it I am. A lot of comittement and hard work needed but you will get there in the end.

Pink

• Advertisement

Thanks for that pink, i think im better off having the babies over with and my eldest will be school going age by the time im qualified.
    Well done to you having three children under 4 doing your degree that must have been hard work.
    Im going to try and get a part time job in a solicitors office ,i have contacts in about 5 solicitors offices so ill try there first.
    They are small offices so im thinking i might be better off trying to get the first 3 passed before i approach them.
    Do you think solicitors pefer graduates or will my 6 years of work experience (as a business manager in the motor industry and manager in finance company) stand to me?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Pampers25

SATSUMA wrote: »
    sorry, that should read "whether i can hand in my blackstones legislation the morning of the exam" I must have a shaky hand...

Yes you can hand it in on the morning. I did it last week. Just get there early and then they will drop it into you at your table. It just means you won't have it right from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

page1 wrote: »
    Do you think solicitors pefer graduates or will my 6 years of work experience (as a business manager in the motor industry and manager in finance company) stand to me?

Firms almost universally prefer graduates, unless of course you have proved yourself as a legal exec or secretary in that firm or possibly even another firm. There is absolutely no doubting that a non-graduate, without fe-1's and with no relevant work experience is facing an uphill struggle. Especially as there are so many 'wannabees' out there with excellent academic credentials, all 8 fe-1's and relevant experience who can't get traineeships. Obviously, if you are in the priviliged position of having family or other strong contacts within the profession these normal rules won't necessarily apply to you. If not, then even with FE-1's passed, and with the greatest respect, you aren't in a particularly strong position to secure a traineeship and you may well need to consider starting out a little lower down the ladder as a legal exec or secretary and climbing from there.

Hi page,

hard to know what to do. Have a friend who has her FE1 done and can't get an apprenticeship. told her to take a job as a legal secretary and that is what she is doing. She is learning more now than if she was an apprenticeship. Actually secretaries know more than solicitors anyway.

they won't take you on as a graduate or even if you do not have your FE1 done as they then feel they are under an obligation to take you on. Small offices are better as you get more experience as you are doing most things every day rather than a big office where you just stick with the one thing. I have worked in small and big and I am not in a very small office. Experience is unbelievable but then again she knows I have legal experience which helps me a lot.

Pink

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

page1 wrote: »
    Im going to try and get a part time job in a solicitors office ,i have contacts in about 5 solicitors offices so ill try there first.
    They are small offices so im thinking i might be better off trying to get the first 3 passed before i approach them.
    Thanks.

I'm not sure I follow...you have a degree - you are sitting fe1s...why don't you apply for a job with a big 5 firm? They are taking trainee applications now for 2010 and will close about early november.
    They consider everyone and they LOVE experience and unusual candidates so really that is what I would do. I certainly wouldn't take a job as a legal secretary. With all respect to secretaries by the way, its just that it would be a waste of the degree and the exams.
    Being cynical here - they would also probably appreciate that you have had your family....but that is just speculation.
    Try MOP, Fry, A&L, Cox and McCann and some mid tier ones too...you'll be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

Well lads, what did ye think of today? I'm wrecked after it, and passing will be by borderline.

I did the following:

Q3. Natural Justice (waffle really - was my 5th question)
    Q4. Locus Standi/Freedom of Expression/Religion (good enough)
    Q5. Interpretation/ Right of Fathers (a REALLY nasty stinker on reflection, anyone spot the fact that in the hypothetical answer he referenced a non existing Constitutional Article? No idea what that means, I took it as was in the question. I've never seen a hypothetical situation like this before)
    Q7. Right to refuse medical treatment (specified Irish cases here, but I went beyond, hope it doesn't hurt me)
    Q8. Right to Silence/Legal Representation/Unconstitutionally Obtained Evidence (not too bad, a lot to be said though)

All in all, it was dodgey enough, it was my first FE1, I've never done an exam to just pass before (not to sound arrogant in the least, it's just weird to know what you have to do to pass these exams.) I know so many brilliantly smart people who worked really hard and didn't get them, so I'm not too hopeful.

I really think it's madness to ask you to do 5 questions. Madness. There is no time to address as many issues as he expects.

The Law Society need to cop on and realise it isn't a writing test.

Any thoughts on today?

I'm ripping over possibly failing because of question 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

I did Question 5, but I though it gave considerable scope. I spoke about a few Equality cases and how Women were entitled to rights, like getting out of Jury duty as per De Burcha and Anderson, but argued it from both sides, using Father`s rights as I progressed. Came to the conclusion that there was still a sufficient gulf between rights between Mothers and Fathers etc. Went ok I guess. I think it was a wide enough Question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Well lads, what did ye think of today? I'm wrecked after it, and passing will be by borderline.

I did the following:

Q5. Interpretation/ Right of Fathers (a REALLY nasty stinker on reflection, anyone spot the fact that in the hypothetical answer he referenced a non existing Constitutional Article? No idea what that means, I took it as was in the question. I've never seen a hypothetical situation like this before)
    Q7. Right to refuse medical treatment (specified Irish cases here, but I went beyond, hope it doesn't hurt me)
    Q8. Right to Silence/Legal Representation/Unconstitutionally Obtained Evidence (not too bad, a lot to be said though)

All in all, it was dodgey enough, it was my first FE1, I've never done an exam to just pass before (not to sound arrogant in the least, it's just weird to know what you have to do to pass these exams.) I know so many brilliantly smart people who worked really hard and didn't get them, so I'm not too hopeful.

I really think it's madness to ask you to do 5 questions. Madness. There is no time to address as many issues as he expects.

Any thoughts on today?

Doesn't sound arrogant at all. It's the truth; in college you work hard to get the best grade possible &there isn't as high a failure rate. As it's your 1st time sitting FE-1s, I wouldn't dwell too much on whether you passed or failed. It's so hard to tell and I've been surprised a few times with what passed me. Answering 5 questions, even with one dodge one, will prob pass you.

Doesn't sound arrogant at all. It's the truth; in college you work hard to get the best grade possible &there isn't as high a failure rate. As it's your 1st time sitting FE-1s, I wouldn't dwell too much on whether you passed or failed. It's so hard to tell and I've been surprised a few times with what passed me. Answering 5 questions, even with one dodge one, will prob pass you.

Thanks for that, needed a boost. Have been chatting to people since who agree with most of my points. I'm not a crank, I expect to be challenged and not whinging, just producing a non-existant Article out of the ether and mixing that with real Article provisions is a mean thing to do. I'd think it was a misprint/typo only it was mentioned twice.

Regardless, upwards and onwards. I did five questions and I lasted till the end. Staying calm is key lads, a couple of friends crumbled today and it's the worst. Don't let the day get to you. It's vital to stay calm and let your work do you justice (or so I'm trying to tell myself!). Contract up next for me...

Right am gonna stop now before I break into High School Musical, 'We're all in this together!...' Hee hee...

(Also- was anyone asked for ID today?! I wasn't, just signed the page. I should have sent in a lecturer :P Probably would have gotten away with it. Madness!)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

I did the following:

Any thoughts on today?

q4, as far as I can remember was solely based on locus standi and not freedom of expression/religion - as it asked to consider issues of locus standi only.

q.8. was a balls for me, got presumption of innocence, right to silence and access to solicitors

• Registered Users Posts: 18 johnnyfox24

That was a mistake on the examiners part in that question about fathers rights, it should have been Art 41 and not 42...he better not fail me for not spotting that in my answer...the b*stard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭June2008

I also only did locus standi in q4 as i thought thats what it specified...is it? Now im worried! I also got screwed over by being told i could leave out equality!! still got 5 hazyish questions out though so hopefully will be ok. I cited quite a bit of echr cases just cause I thought they are technically part of irish law now cause of the 2003 Act was that wrong of me? I suppose they would only take it as extra info and not penalise me!!

Yup twas Locus Standi, I just said the rest to remind folks of the question. Sorry to freak people out!

Anyone doing Equity tomorrow. I'm really nervous about it. Can someone calm me down a tad?? :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

Pampers25 wrote: »
    Anyone doing Equity tomorrow. I'm really nervous about it. Can someone calm me down a tad?? :o:o[/QUOTE

Not doing it myself Pampers25 but passed it in April and it is genuinely one of the nicer exams imo. If you're stressed - take a break from the books - give yourself an hour or whatever - do something you enjoy and go back then feeling refreshed (well - that's in a perfect world...!). Seriously though - nothing to worry about - at the very worst you'll only get 50%(!) and in the grand ole scheme of life - it's just one exam and a drop in the ocean. Deep breaths - and try that orange juice with lemon juice trick mentioned earlier in this thread - i think the bitterness calms you down or something!! Best of luck anyway - you'll be fine - you can only do your best and every1 is in the same boat as you.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it all on board. Thanks again.

Is anyone doing EU tomo? How're you set? It is pretty daunting subject :(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Is anyone doing EU tomo? How're you set? It is pretty daunting subject :(
    Hey,
    Yeah i'm doing it. It's pretty daunting alright! I'm having to learn everything today! I really am not sure i've enough covered either but hey, such is life!!!! I did sit it before and i only knew one question and waffled the others totally just doing my thing filling in the time and i got 48%. I've only EU left to do, i have seven, so in my experience EU though nasty by all means, is marked in a completely different way. Just show a basic simple understanding of anything technical. Then when it comes to say, institutions show that you actually have an opinion on the subject-divert away from textbook knowledge and formulate ideas of your own. It fills up space also! And makes your paper far more engaging!

Good luck,

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Hey,
    Yeah i'm doing it. It's pretty daunting alright! I'm having to learn everything today! I really am not sure i've enough covered either but hey, such is life!!!! I did sit it before and i only knew one question and waffled the others totally just doing my thing filling in the time and i got 48%. I've only EU left to do, i have seven, so in my experience EU though nasty by all means, is marked in a completely different way. Just show a basic simple understanding of anything technical. Then when it comes to say, institutions show that you actually have an opinion on the subject-divert away from textbook knowledge and formulate ideas of your own. It fills up space also! And makes your paper far more engaging!

Good luck,

Thanks, that's really nice and it calmed me a bit too :) It sounds like you're sorted, good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Scutz

Anyone out there doing contract, tort or property with any decent tips??

pink101 wrote: »
    Hi page,

hard to know what to do. Have a friend who has her FE1 done and can't get an apprenticeship. told her to take a job as a legal secretary and that is what she is doing. She is learning more now than if she was an apprenticeship. Actually secretaries know more than solicitors anyway.

they won't take you on as a graduate or even if you do not have your FE1 done as they then feel they are under an obligation to take you on. Small offices are better as you get more experience as you are doing most things every day rather than a big office where you just stick with the one thing. I have worked in small and big and I am not in a very small office. Experience is unbelievable but then again she knows I have legal experience which helps me a lot.

Pink

Thanks for that. I am applying to a small solicitors this week. My SIL works there and the solicitor is under pressure with her work load and is looking for someone part time.
    She had an apprentice last year now qualified and left so at least i know she isnt adverse to taking them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

Oh the pain of study! Have spent the last 3 days staring at EU law and none the wiser. To think I'll haffta to look at it again in April is so depressing. Is it the most boring of the 8 or what?! And why can't the regulations have names instead of stupid serial numbers like 1251/71? I think they should name them all after cocktails or something... at least then you'd remember them. EU Directive SEX/ON/THE/BEACH....

Think I'm going mad from looking at my notes:eek:.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

definitely the most boring and the hardest of the 8. hope its an alright paper or im screwed! :eek:

I have contract on Friday. Its my last one of the four I'm sitting for the first time. I can't wait for it to be over. Anyways... This is what I'm studying and hoping for the best. Anyone any advice or pointers?

Offer and Acceptance
    Mistake
    Contract of Employment
    Misrepresentation
    Termination of a Contract
    Contracts by Electronic Means.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ob1kanobee

Re Equity - in the half secret trust question what was the story with the envelope - he didnt reveal in his lifetime that it was a trust, just that there were instructions in it about the propertys. I said this meant there was no intervivos communication / acceptance of actual trust, does anyone agree?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement