Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Scutz

I'm covering those topics in Contract also but adding in duress, estoppel, parole evidence and insurance contracts. Didn't do any course for contract so hoping for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Hey,
    This is what im attempting to cover for contract:
    Offer/Acceptance/Termination
    Consideration/ Estoppel
    Exemption Clauses (Incorp+Interp)
    Frustration
    Mistake

Have a feeling Parol Evidence will come up so will try to cram that in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Thankfully EU wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. It was quite a reasonable paper to be honest and I would say most people were fairly happy with it.

Now we just have to see how Mr Travers marks it :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

Fair play to all who did EU today... edging ever closer to freedom!

By the sounds of it (I didn't do it) it was the first ok paper, nice and clear.

I bloody hope Contract and Tort maintain this trend!

Is the squeeze on or what? This is how numbers are controlled re. entry into the profession. It's a bad time to be doing these... but then again is there ever a good time?!

This is it, StudentEmeritus, do any of us seriously believe that if you put 5 questions down which are at a standard for a 60% grade that you inevitably get that. Of course not.

More like the Law Society reckon they will only pass an arbitrary number of candidates this year and if the standard surpasses expectation they just take the top however many candidates regardless of the true quality of answer. That is what I think anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised if most people who get 47-49% were deliberately marked down because they have too many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Exam was fair have to say all issues very clear and even the Art 82 question look okay (had not it covered it tho).

Agree about the Law Society money racket just want to take our money and now that there are less going into the profession as there are no jobs the exam fees will be higher. Only 75 taking up offers in Cork so the next think to go will probably be cork.

pink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

johnfás wrote: »
    Thankfully EU wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. It was quite a reasonable paper to be honest and I would say most people were fairly happy with it.

Now we just have to see how Mr Travers marks it :pac:.

Oh lord, I actually thought that it was a tough enough paper. Soooooo long. I answered all the part questions; they took for ever. The question on restrictions on exports threw me for a bit of a loop.

Anywho, I answered 4 all-right questions and 1 terrible question so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

wat did everyone write for the direct effect q? i totally messed it up!

Carmeii wrote: »
    wat did everyone write for the direct effect q? i totally messed it up!

Green Alliance:
    1) They could rely on vertical direct effect because it seemingly had not been transposed into Irish law. There was a lack of evidence supplied in the question to make a clear judgment though but given that there was an ECJ ruling.

2) That they could possibly enforce the directive against the company on the basis of indirect effect pursuant to the principles set out in Marleasing. Namely that the national law should be interpreted so far as possible in line with EU Law. This is on the basis of a fairule to adequately transpose.

Mr Farmer:
    1) He could get state damages because there had seemingly been a failure to transpose - though as above this was not entirely clear. That the date was somewhat meaningless because it was unclear whether it had in fact been transposed or not but that if it the period for transposition had not ended he could not get damages. Based on Francovich.

2) I didn't have a notion but I said that he couldn't get private damages because they were a private company complying with national law. Suggested he should seek an injunction based on indirect effect to stop continuation of the development.

Don't know how well I did on the above but that is what I wrote anyway!

Alot seemed to hinge on whether the directive had been adequately implemented into Irish law or whether it had been at all. It appeared that at best it had been inadequately implemented or at worst not at all. The time limit for transposition was also important. However, no information was provided on any of those issues, it was all based on innuendo rather than fact. That was my reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brunettechick

Nightowl84 wrote: »
    Hey,
    This is what im attempting to cover for contract:
    Offer/Acceptance/Termination
    Consideration/ Estoppel
    Exemption Clauses (Incorp+Interp)
    Frustration
    Mistake

Have a feeling Parol Evidence will come up so will try to cram that in

Think parol evidence will come up 2, hopefully as a straight forward essay question! Undue influence has come up every october sitting for the last number of years but thats not sayin it'l come up this year!
    formal and evidentiary requirements ie statute of frauds was tipped lst year and it didnt come up so wonder will that appear?? dunno if ill have time to cover it though!!!
    everybody else just exhausted!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Old Mr Travers hey, go easy on us!!!!!!! I think the paper was quite straightforward, i did note however that some of the answers required only a few lines!!!!! Never a good sign, i know. We'll just have to wait and see...

IM FINISHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks be to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Finished thank god so good luck to everyone else who is sitting the last two. This was a very good thread and I found it excellent and no doubt I will be back to it again when i attempt my next two hopefully in March.

Pink

Think parol evidence will come up 2, hopefully as a straight forward essay question! Undue influence has come up every october sitting for the last number of years but thats not sayin it'l come up this year!
    formal and evidentiary requirements ie statute of frauds was tipped lst year and it didnt come up so wonder will that appear?? dunno if ill have time to cover it though!!!
    everybody else just exhausted!!!!!!

Totally wiped out and sick of the exams,
    Even though I know that contract is probably one of the easiest, i really couldn't be arsed that much... but i'll give a good day of cramming.
    I'm gonna stick parole evidence in, and try to stick with what i have, anything more and i'll explode......the only thing keeping me going is the prospect of a digustingly enormous session at the end.......bring on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 irish_hic85

Oh lord, I actually thought that it was a tough enough paper. Soooooo long. I answered all the part questions; they took for ever. The question on restrictions on exports threw me for a bit of a loop.

Anywho, I answered 4 all-right questions and 1 terrible question so here's hoping.

i thought the questions were reasonable enough but i also did the multiple part questions and found i them to be ridiculously long: consequently i didn't get to finish any one of the questions completely as i had to leave the following out either substantially or completely:
    - Q1 part (ii) european parliament compared to national
    - Q3 part (iii) on a.234
    - Q5 part (ii) on FMOG
    Furthermore, answered the case note question and time constraints meant that my third case, altmark, was extremely basic, even though i knew the facts and relevant law in detail: the same applied to the parts listed above. This was my only exam this time round so i had built up a strong knowledge base of the topics but i find the FE1 system to punish in-depth knowledge through its time constraints: i know it can be argued that i should improve my personal exam technique in that respect but from a general point of view one could reasonably assume that the purpose of these exams is to reward you for knowledge possessed, not for the ability to write quickly. my writing is illegible at the best of times when i am writing slowly, let alone maniacaly, as was required of me today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

Didn't get enough covered for EU unfort. so that's one for April. Did think it was a fair paper though - the question on competition was nicer than the usual problem q I thought.

Seems to be a load to cover for tort. Yawn. Anyone hear any tips or any dead certs???!:D

Cannot wait until 12:34 on Monday when nasally voice says 'alrite ye can go', one last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DryBlanket

johnfás wrote: »
    This is it, StudentEmeritus, do any of us seriously believe that if you put 5 questions down which are at a standard for a 60% grade that you inevitably get that. Of course not.

More like the Law Society reckon they will only pass an arbitrary number of candidates this year and if the standard surpasses expectation they just take the top however many candidates regardless of the true quality of answer. That is what I think anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised if most people who get 47-49% were deliberately marked down because they have too many people.

I have two things on authority which I believe and will pass on to you. You can decide what you believe then yourselves!
    I have it on authority from a high up member of the law soc educational committee that ever since the students brought successful proceedings against the society for only letting a set amount pass that the society are now bound to pass each individual student on merit. The reason so many people fail, in the societys opinion, is that the students underestimate the enormity of the task that each exam presents. They do, however, mark the exams very hard thereby ensure that you MUST answer five questions to be in with a shout. My own belief is that four good questions will get you close but you need a stab at the fifth to get you over the line.

The second thing I have on authority is that there are NO plans to close the Cork course. This was said at a meeting only last week. Of course if something unlikely like only one person applied to be trained there then it would be untenable but the current view is that there are no plans to close the facility. As with all business in any field this is a current intention only.

Verdict on Contract? I hope I passed, again the old 4 good 1 dodgey situation.

I thought it was fair enough but a broad understanding of the course was needed though!

Two down, two to go. A weekend of Tort. And a day and a half to cram in land! Oh hell.

Well done to people finished, have one settling for me.

Just finished Contract and also did four good questions and one only okay question. Anyone know if contract is easily marked and is it possible to pass on four good questions? Weekend of cramming for Tort and Property. Anyone any tips for next week? Roll on Wednesday!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ilovestudy

Hi all,
    Congrats to those who finished up! Pray for those of us unlucky enough to be stuck in this hell til Wed!
    I'm extremely panicked about Property, repeating it, there's so much to it, haven't heard of any tips at all, probably best to try cover it all anyway.
    Just wondering if anyone has anything positive to say which can put me at ease?! I've never been so stressed out about an exam, worrying I'm gonna mess up because of it on the day, it's very out of character for me, just feel like I'm sinking under the pressure...
    Is there ANYTHING about Property which makes it nice at all??! I've passed 7 so know I can do it, but this one exam seems like by far the worst to me.
    PMA! PMA! Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

The contract exam today was so bad - how did everyone else find it? the questions were soooo like last years which is unfair. I forgot so many case names and even though I knew the principles and spotted the issues - does anyone think I would pass on some descriptions of some cases without names?

I did the mistake problem, the model inc problem, the construction essay, the one about the girl studying fe1s, and the van problem.

Everyone seems to have been happy with it- maybe it was just me?

• Advertisement

Don't take my word for it, I think anything would be better than Constitutional! I've only done 2 exams. I'm sure you did fine. I've heard she is a fair marker, the fairest of all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

ilovestudy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Congrats to those who finished up! Pray for those of us unlucky enough to be stuck in this hell til Wed!
    I'm extremely panicked about Property, repeating it, there's so much to it, haven't heard of any tips at all, probably best to try cover it all anyway.
    Just wondering if anyone has anything positive to say which can put me at ease?! I've never been so stressed out about an exam, worrying I'm gonna mess up because of it on the day, it's very out of character for me, just feel like I'm sinking under the pressure...
    Is there ANYTHING about Property which makes it nice at all??! I've passed 7 so know I can do it, but this one exam seems like by far the worst to me.
    PMA! PMA! Help!

Property has loads of redeeming features! Succession is a nice area and usually yields at least one question if not 2. Ummm.. that's actually all the positives I can think of....
    Seriously though - I passed it in April with one serious weekend of cramming so it is very passable: my advice would be not to cover absolutely everything - you'll spread yourself too thin. I did the majority of the 'big' topics and picked some smaller ones too. Think I covered about 11/12 topics altogether. But do whatever you feel comfortable with and make sure you've enough to cover you!! You've loads of time to get the info straight in your head before Wed and there's no reason for you to mess up. But I understand the mental block - Company does that for me!! Oh and I've just thought of another positive - Adverse possession is often on the paper and it's a nice one too. Best of luck.

Thought the first question in contract had a lot of issues, electronic communication, mistake, invitation to treat, offer, acceptance and consideration. Took me ages to do that one so little time left for the rest. Could barely do the 5 questions and thought the rest of the paper was difficult enough.

In respect of property know succession act inside out. Deffo two questions on it. One normally with lots of issues in it. Adverse possession comes up quite a bit and the only tips I heard are again for succession, adverse possession, judgment mortgages, family property and landlord and tenant but you can't depend on tips either, settled land seems to come up a bit also. have a look at the last examiners report for April to see if she was not happy with the answers to any of the areas so these topics might come up again. I've just completed four exams and I noted that topics were repeated again this time if examiner not completely happy about them.

Jaysus,
    Thought she threw us a bit of a curveball there in contract. My ''predictions'' were totally off the mark, ah well.
    I did 5 questions, 3 goodish, 1 alright and the last was pure waffle (best not burn the notes just yet).

I'm hoping to finish the exams by the next sitting and then Id like to do the course down in Cork, anyone know how hard it is to get an apprenticeship around there. Thinking of applying to the big firms, but I don't want to go near Dublin at all..any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Nightowl84 wrote: »
    Jaysus,

Thinking of applying to the big firms, but I don't want to go near Dublin at all..any advice?

big firms are in dublin.

rdj glynn solicitors however are in cork and galway.

holmes o'malley sexton is in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 C222

any last minute tips for tort?

Tort was ridiculously long. 4 alrightish answers and 1 extremely rushed job. Hope to the lord it was ok!

General feeling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

Just going back through my paper now. Got four decent questions and one done crap! Panicked on Defamatipn, didn`t read it properly....I basically said the paper had no defence, went on about how the case defamation case law was so overwhelming against them that they coudn`t have a defence..... Doubt I passed it as a result so at least one more to do again come March, gutted!! But in fairness, it was a fair paper.

What WAS the right answer for the defamation question? I avoided it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

The right answer was to go through the defences. I dunno what happened to me really, just didn`t read it. Hart sunk when I realised what I had done. Ah well, hopefully passed the other 3 and only one to repeat next year. So annoying though to have to come back for one!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement