Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 imtiptop

Hey, was wondering if anyone has any pointers on eu?are pre lisbon books any good or did the lisbon treaty change too much for them to be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

How is EU marked? Did people put much work into it? I'm thinking with a bit of direction it's not too bad and fairly predictable? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nomdesud

Has anyone got a Tort exam grid? I can swap for criminal and contract grids. PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Cherry_Angel

As time is getting close I'm wondering if for the Contract exam I covered :
    Offer&Acceptance, Consideration, Estoppel, Privity, Misrepresentation, Mistake, Discharge, Remedies would I be covered??

Any guidelines for Equity people?? Thats my downfall atm!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

As time is getting close I'm wondering if for the Contract exam I covered :
    Offer&Acceptance, Consideration, Estoppel, Privity, Misrepresentation, Mistake, Discharge, Remedies would I be covered??

Any guidelines for Equity people?? Thats my downfall atm!! :(

for equity i'm doing injunctions, recission, secret trusts, charitable trust with cypres, resulting trusts, tracing and the three part question( i'm focusing on maxims, rule in strong v bird, rectification and the doctrine of satisfaction) so hopefully i should have enough there. i done contract last sitting so if i get stuck i know a few pointers for estoppel too.

with contract i would recommend that you do illegality and void contracts and also do terms of a contract these areas come up all the time, illegality is easy as well. Also do intention to create legal relations with consideration coz sometimes pops into problem questions and you'd have it off in an hour its grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Eyespy wrote: »
    Are you sitting any subjects this time round JC?

Yep, doing Constitutional and Criminal. I've a fair bit done to date on Constitutional, hope to focus more on criminal from next week. This goddam' fine weather doesn't make it easy, too many things I'd rather be doing out in the fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MissSummer

Could somebody help me please. I have a TC with a top 5 Law Firm. As part my of my contract I have to pass my FE1’s in 3 attempts – so I’m beginning to feel the pressure. This is my fist attempt at taking them. I was away a lot over summer & whilst I was hoping to take 4 exams in October, I’m now thinking of dropping Criminal and proceeding with Company, Contracts and Trusts. However when my top 5 Law Firm sees that I failed an FE1, how will this look? Will they look less favourably on me or will it even matter? Can’t decide to go with the 4 or hedge my bets and aim to pass 3. What does everybody think? I just want to pass my FE1’s in 2 attempts and have them finished next March. Will 5 FE1s be very difficult to take together?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

Does the Land and Conveyancing Law reform Act 2009 have anything to do with Equity or is it just property??

Could someone with a new manual help me please as i am working from an old one.

corkgirl88 wrote: »
    Does the Land and Conveyancing Law reform Act 2009 have anything to do with Equity or is it just property??

Could someone with a new manual help me please as i am working from an old one.

no its just property.

MissSummer wrote: »
    Could somebody help me please. I have a TC with a top 5 Law Firm. As part my of my contract I have to pass my FE1’s in 3 attempts – so I’m beginning to feel the pressure. This is my fist attempt at taking them. I was away a lot over summer & whilst I was hoping to take 4 exams in October, I’m now thinking of dropping Criminal and proceeding with Company, Contracts and Trusts. However when my top 5 Law Firm sees that I failed an FE1, how will this look? Will they look less favourably on me or will it even matter? Can’t decide to go with the 4 or hedge my bets and aim to pass 3. What does everybody think? I just want to pass my FE1’s in 2 attempts and have them finished next March. Will 5 FE1s be very difficult to take together?

firstly well done in getting your tc. honestly i think you should sit all 4. you have just under 5weeks now. if you keep the head down and study say 5/6 areas really well and just know general pointers in a few other areas you should be ok. criminal is fine its a small area so i wouldnt drop it. also i think 5 subjects together would be alot especially as your leaving yourself with eu, constitutional and tort to do in the same sitting. If you only sit three exams and one exam doesnt go in your favour then you will have to sit all 4 again and you def wont have all fe1 passed by march unless you do all 8 together.
    Give it your best shot now and you'll do well:)

• Advertisement

hi, I am looking for some equity sample answers.

If anyone is interested I can swap for answers in EU, Constitutional, Tort or Criminal. All from griffith college.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Equity and EU

Hi guys hope the study is going well. Can anyone recommend any new important cases for Equity? I'm studying from Winter 2009 manual.

Also what is everyone concentrating on for EU. It's so bloody long I need to cut down.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hey MissSummer, in a very similar boat to yourself re needing to get them all done by april!

Tbh I know several people who failed a couple of the FE1s & it wasn't a problem for the firms as long as they got them all within a few sittings - best to be avoided though at all possible I imagine for your own sanity!

I would say take the 4 this time as one of your "good" subjects mightn't work out on the day so best to hedge your bets, take the 4 and try to get all of them!

Also - couple of questions that people on this thread might be able to help with:

1. Are people bothering to get the sale of goods act for contract to bring in to the exam? Consumer Protection seems to be a section a lot of people leave out anyway but maybe best to bring it in just in case!

2. Re equity and constitutional - what areas are people leaving out? the constitutional manual is huuuuuge

3. Has anyone here taken the independent colleges fe1 prep course? if so is anyone aware if the "intensive revision classes" they're putting on at €50 per class will be similar to the tutorials they do at the end of each lecture series? Just wondering if it's worth going or just sticking to the extra tutorials they put on.

Finally - if anyone has sample answers from griffith or anywhere else for equity/contract/criminal constitutional I have the set from independent this year & would be happy to swap them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sunnyshinny

Does anyone have any tips for the EU law exam? There is so much information. :(Any ideas on what you could safely leave out? Please help

Hi
    in relation to contract and the consumer act. i sat contract in march and didnt take it with me but it depends entirely on what other topics you are doing, if you are counting on it as a def question then its no harm taking it in with you if you are having that topic as a back up then i would just learn off the main points.

With regard to equity and constitutional. I'm doing maxims. injuctions, recission, secret trusts, charitable trust and cypres, resulting trust constructive trust and tracing. I'm focusing on the three part question so looking at the rule in strong v bird etc.
    with constitutional its hard to know what to leave out as several issues arise in one question sometimes. so far i'm doing, constitutional interpretation, sop, president, locus standi, fundamental rights and unenumerated rights, freedom of expression, due process, equality and family and education and private property. it really is a huge subject.

In march last year there was a talk on the top constitutional cases in Trinity does anyone know is on anytime soon??

Does anyone have any tips for the EU law exam? There is so much information. :(Any ideas on what you could safely leave out? Please help

I feel your pain with eu, i done it in the last sitting and it was horrendous but thankfully i passed. Make sure you are taking in the blackstones with you that is so helpful in the exam. I learnt off democratic deficit and seperation with regard to the institutions and then literally just opened the book and wrote what it said obviously not word for word but it says what the eu commission does etc so no need to learn it off, well i didnt. Definietly do fmog,fmop,foe and citizens. do past questions and you'll see it does tend to be similiar questions arising. i would do competition law, i know it is long but it seemed easy enough. i didnt do it, went to the gcd revision class and she went through past questions on it and i was kickin myself that i hadnt done it.
    do ms liability etc. there really isnt much you can leave out.
    i would recommend that if your not doing a course with gcd or indo then i would go to their revision classes so you see how to answer the prob q's on say fmog etc it was a great help to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Amy.M

Does anyone have exam grids (any at all as will be sitting all 8 next year) that they may be able to email to me??

I have mock exam questions and sample answers for Equity and Property so could swap if anyone is interested??! pretty pleeeease!!!

cheers :)

steph86 wrote: »

In march last year there was a talk on the top constitutional cases in Trinity does anyone know is on anytime soon??

It was in UCD. I went along with Hogzy, cost us €45 each to hear it at a student rate, it was more of a solrs and barristers CPD event. I used some of the material as best I could in the exam - don't think it made much difference after all to be honest, what's in the manuals would be plenty.

JC

I didn't bother with the Sale of Goods ACt for contract and i got on fine without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Hi,

I think this was asked before but can't locate the answer -

Where can I buy a copy of the Succession Act 1965 + the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980??

Also i thought I read someone talking about a student version of these?
    Is there such a thing and if so is this allowed into the exam?

Thanks

• Advertisement

You can probably buy them in Easons. Government publications office in Dublin sell the Succession act aswell. You could get the phone number on the net and they will post it out to you. It is very cheap.

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Hi,

Where can I buy a copy of the Succession Act 1965 + the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980??

Thanks

Most bookshops and the Gov't Publications Office

I've only ever heard of a student version of the Companies' Acts, there is such a thing and it's allowed. This is all set out on the info you get from the Lawsoc.

The succession Act is vital, you can actually answer a question or two straight off the Act, destruction of wills, revocation, spouse's share etc. As you study keep referring to the Sections so you will know where to find stuff when you're under pressure and high stress in the exam.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Thanks guys!

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

i bought the succession act in easons, it was only a couple of euro too, was really helpful for the exam. i didnt take anything into the contract exam but i would try the gov office in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

I'm working off an old manual for contract and I know that the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 has made tiny changes here and there. Anyone know what they might be?

In particular I know it's altered privity. The exception to privity for covenants concerning land is now governed by that act. Anyone know how it now works? All you need for that is the basic gist. What do the manuals say?

Also, anyone have any predictions for Company or is it the type of exam you can't predict? I will be doing criminal and contract well and equity and company less well so I need to be clever about how I use my time.

I'm working off an old manual for contract and I know that the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 has made tiny changes here and there. Anyone know what they might be?

In particular I know it's altered privity. The exception to privity for covenants concerning land is now governed by that act. Anyone know how it now works? All you need for that is the basic gist. What do the manuals say?

I honestly can't see that Act coming into the contract exam - if I were the examiner, I'd leave it to the land law examiner. From what I know of it, it simply clarified that burdens run with the land, not with a person. So if property A enjoys a restrictive covenant amounting to a burden on property B and A is sold, the benefit of the covenant runs with property A to the new owner. If B is sold, the burden similarly runs with the land and the new owner of B is burdened.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

Could someone make my day please and send me on ANY sample answers they have whatsoever for Constitutional. It really is beginning to wreck my head.

I have exam grids for Constitutional, COntract, Tort, Criminal and Property so I can help you out there if need be.
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hey thanks for the advice - ended up buying the consumer act yesterday in the end all the same - no harm bringing it in just in case I guess!

That's a good spread for equity and constitutional - should have you covered :)

Good luck!
    steph86 wrote: »
    Hi
    in relation to contract and the consumer act. i sat contract in march and didnt take it with me but it depends entirely on what other topics you are doing, if you are counting on it as a def question then its no harm taking it in with you if you are having that topic as a back up then i would just learn off the main points.

With regard to equity and constitutional. I'm doing maxims. injuctions, recission, secret trusts, charitable trust and cypres, resulting trust constructive trust and tracing. I'm focusing on the three part question so looking at the rule in strong v bird etc.
    with constitutional its hard to know what to leave out as several issues arise in one question sometimes. so far i'm doing, constitutional interpretation, sop, president, locus standi, fundamental rights and unenumerated rights, freedom of expression, due process, equality and family and education and private property. it really is a huge subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MissSummer

Hi guys,

Thanks for all te advice. Still unsure what to do though!

Regarding the Companies Act, are we able write on the actual tabs or is that forbidden?

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Thanks for all te advice. Still unsure what to do though!

Regarding the Companies Act, are we able write on the actual tabs or is that forbidden?
    You can't write on the tabs. They do not allow it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement