Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

Don't worry I'm sure you got caselaw down anyways, you'll have to get some marks for that right? And if you had 4 good answers already, it could be enough to scrape it. Don't worry about it now, I'm sure you got some marks out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

Tort was ridiculously long

What do people mean when they say that? I always have time to think and plan answer and I write quickly but not that fast...people always say it was long or that their hand is in bits...maybe I don't write enough...though I try to focus on the question so I don't know. put it this way I have never been stuck for time - is that a good or bad thing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Bit late now for most people but theres a really good group for FE-1s here: http://groups.google.ie/group/FE-1-Study-Group?hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

What do people mean when they say that? I always have time to think and plan answer and I write quickly but not that fast...people always say it was long or that their hand is in bits...maybe I don't write enough...though I try to focus on the question so I don't know. put it this way I have never been stuck for time - is that a good or bad thing?!

Just that. I'm obviously far too slow in getting it all together and linking the issues as much as addressing them in isolation on the facts. It's not about quantity, it's quality (I'm told ), lucky you!

yeah it just worries me...maybe everyone else is right! I always see ppl writing like lunatics except me..oh well won't know til december

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

What I mean when I say that it was long paper is when questions touch on a lot of issues. For example, today I thought that question one was a long question but then the defences to trespass was easy to answer quickly. I wouldn't worry that you have plenty of time to answer questions, it's probably a good thing. I've passed 5 FE-1s and I've been at each end of the spectrum. Finished criminal and equity about 15minutes early and only had time to answer 4questions in property but I still passed them all; so I wouldn't judge how well you got on by timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hi Everyone,
    I read on another message that someone was asking did anybody receive "an interesting letter from a top five firm" and that we'd know what she was talking about if we did and that she is looking forward to "meeting some future collegues"!!!!! I am totally intrigued now...Anyone get one...? I should imagine she has been headhunted or something...? God only knows! All very hush hush i think. Obviously i am not one of this secret circle just a mere mortal slogging through the fe-1's like the rest of us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wanisha

Hi all,

i know its a bit early to be asking, but does anyone know when the results are out. Having read the blogs and spoken to people about the exams Im even more confused as to how I fared out in them. Initially I was convinced that I failed all four but now I feel there may be a glimmer of hope that I passed something, it was my first sitting and highly doubt I got three but everything is crossed just in case

Wanisha wrote: »
    Hi all,

i know its a bit early to be asking, but does anyone know when the results are out. Having read the blogs and spoken to people about the exams Im even more confused as to how I fared out in them. Initially I was convinced that I failed all four but now I feel there may be a glimmer of hope that I passed something, it was my first sitting and highly doubt I got three but everything is crossed just in case

early to mid december from what i hear.

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I read on another message that someone was asking did anybody receive "an interesting letter from a top five firm" and that we'd know what she was talking about if we did and that she is looking forward to "meeting some future collegues"!!!!! I am totally intrigued now...Anyone get one...? I should imagine she has been headhunted or something...? God only knows! All very hush hush i think. Obviously i am not one of this secret circle just a mere mortal slogging through the fe-1's like the rest of us...

Wasn't headhunting or anything remotely as interesting! Just some re arranging of start dates by a big five firm.

• Advertisement

oh really! I do get carried away i thought it was something really exciting!!!!!! Haha thanks for the clarification!

Yeah results should be out around the 10th usually.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mucri

Felt ok to me...must say I did not study much...but then again will see...finger crossed! Happy partying everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pangarban

Congrats to you all!!! Just wondering is I could ask a pretty general question. Is is possible to pass the Fe 1, if i the manuals, books, past past papers etc. and not actually signed up with a college as such. it will be my first time sitting the exams and wondered if its more or less difficult to do it that way?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ireland1italy0

pangarban wrote: »
    Congrats to you all!!! Just wondering is I could ask a pretty general question. Is is possible to pass the Fe 1, if i the manuals, books, past past papers etc. and not actually signed up with a college as such. it will be my first time sitting the exams and wondered if its more or less difficult to do it that way?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

I think it depends on the person. Apologies if I'm repeating this (maybe I said it another thread), but for *me* the institutional framework of Griff. was important - i.e. someone actively bothering me to do homework, submit essays, lecturers showing an interest in me and so on. Some of the lecturers actually knew the examiners, and that helped with getting a handle on what the FE1s are all about as opposed to my college exams, which were nothign like them.

I suppose I NEED prodding, some don't. I know many people who have done it with out of date manuals and nut shells, and I know many people who have failed doing it that way. I suppose you just need to think back to college - did you do it on your own then, or did you find the uni you went to added "structure" etc. Asking it is possible isn't really the right question I think - anything is possible, it just depends on your ability and committment. If you have the money and can get to a college, I would, but thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pangarban

Thank you for your advice.and for taking the time to reply.When you mentioned to think back on college, it made sense. Been a few years...I think I will take some of the subjects through a college.Thanks again Ireland1Italy0 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

pangarban wrote: »

Hey Pangarban - passed my first three in April just using manuals and text books, and have just sat three more But I'd agree with IrelandItaly - it probably depends on the person. I was never great for attending college anyway and always managed to get by using (someone else's!) notes. That said - I can imagine the benefits of someone putting the pressure on you to do the work, like you'd get in one of the colleges.
    I think it would also depend what your degree is in. Having studied law in College, I knew the basics anyway so it was literally just a matter of learning straight away, rather than having to understand first, if you get me.
    In summary(!) I think if you can afford the colleges, it's bound to be money well spent. If you can't, it is possible to pass with manuals and books and a lot of (boring :P) hours!!! Like IrelandItaly said, many people also fail that way - but hey - I know a few people who've failed after doing the courses too. Bottom line is, you've got to get the stuff learnt - the colleges will be a help - but you'll still haffta do the work.
    If you do decide to do it on your own, best advice I could give you is allow yourself enough time per subject to make out your own notes: I used manuals and books and some old notes from college - make sure your notes are up2date-check out/ask on the forum here if you're uncertain about legislation, big cases etc. Once you've your notes done - Cardinal Rule (and where I typically fall down!) - allow ENOUGH time to learn them!! I always find when I'm writing out notes that I think I know it all - but you have to sit down and LEARN!! It sounds really obvious but it's not always easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LawyerGirl

Hi all,

Looking for recent copies of either Griffith or Independent College manuals in Company, Criminal, Constitutional and Tort if anyone has them????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimjams

Hey guys,
    Anyone interested in FE1 manuals, I have all manuals except contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ob1kanobee

jimjams wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Anyone interested in FE1 manuals, I have all manuals except contract?

Hi jimjams. Am interested in Company and Constitutional. How recent are they & much do you want? am in galway. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hamo121

Hey, i have fe1 manuals for contract constitutional criminal tort and equity if anyone is interested?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squiggly1

hey hamo, interested in the constitutional manual how recent n how much u want for it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hamo121

Hey, its 75quid. PM me your number if youre interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kareena

Hi all, anyone got their results yet for FE1's just sat, i.e. Sept/Oct? I know they are due around now? Ta.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

kareena wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone got their results yet for FE1's just sat, i.e. Sept/Oct? I know they are due around now? Ta.:confused:

Are they really:eek::eek::eek:

I thought it was mid-december sometime. Either way they're going to make or break my crimbo... most likely break!!!:(:(

HEY KAREENA,

MAYBE EXPECT THEM FROM THE 3RD-11TH OF DECEMBER ONWARDS, CERTAINLY NEVER BEEN IN NOVEMBER BEFORE. g'LUCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I've just started the Griffith course for next time. Doing EU, Constitional, Property and Criminal. The manuals are really big:(Can anybody tell me what is the situation with leaving sections out for studying? Do people do this or is it necessary to cover everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

sunnyside wrote: »
    Do people do this or is it necessary to cover everything?

That seems to be what the lecturers have been saying so far: how you can try and gauge what is due to come up using the exam grid but you can't really leave anything out.. Plus some questions seem to require a mixture of different topics to form the answer.. It's a nightmare! It's hard to keep up with the studying and homework questions in Griffith and everything else. I'm trying to fit a nervous breakdown in on the Wednesday next week

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Hey, anyone know roughly what the dates of the first and last exams are? When does the official timetable go up? When can I register for the exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 underflowers

I'd also like to know the march/april timetable...i really hope they don't mess us about and change it once its released. Think registration is beginning of February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 kareena

Thanks for that Satsuma, counting the days, y'know......:confused:

Sorry for nearly giving you a heart attack pampers! :P Just keeping you on your toes, hope you're not getting too complacent now you've a few under your belt!!! ;)

Underflowers and Cavangirl, keep an eye on the Law Society's website, they are pretty good at putting up the timetable months in advance. Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement