Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

I would presume it would be but i would ring the law society and check to be on the safe side or if your doing a course with gcd or independent the lecture should be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Quick question - how much approx is the succession act and where is best to buy it? Would easons have it?

wez99950 wrote: »
    Quick question - how much approx is the succession act and where is best to buy it? Would easons have it?

I bought the succession act for the last sitting in easons, cant remember exactly how much but it was only around €10

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

We have to submit any legislation one day before the exam? That sucks. For those who live outside dublin at least. I can think of better things to be doing the day before my first exam than wasting the morning driving to dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Vera12

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Does anybody know if full-time students in Blackhall qualify for student travel cards, leading to better Irish Rail ticket prices etc?

JC

I'm pretty sure the studnet travel cards are available for blackhall students. Can't wait to have my student discount back!
    smjsmj wrote: »
    I would presume it would be but i would ring the law society and check to be on the safe side or if your doing a course with gcd or independent the lecture should be able to tell you.

You're allowed to bring in any version of the texts. I asked them about it for the last sitting. I don't know why they don't update the lists to include the latest edition of the legislation, but that's the LS for you!

Caoileann wrote: »
    We have to submit any legislation one day before the exam? That sucks. For those who live outside dublin at least. I can think of better things to be doing the day before my first exam than wasting the morning driving to dublin!

If you don't want to come up really early the day before, you can also hand it in that morning too. They usually come into the exam hall within 20-30min of the start to give it to you. So it's not that much of a wait! I'm going to hand it up on the day this time. Travelling from across the country to get to the Red Cow before 1pm just to hand in the legislation is a pain in the ass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BroadwayBound

Vera12 wrote: »
    If you don't want to come up really early the day before, you can also hand it in that morning too. They usually come into the exam hall within 20-30min of the start to give it to you. So it's not that much of a wait! I'm going to hand it up on the day this time. Travelling from across the country to get to the Red Cow before 1pm just to hand in the legislation is a pain in the ass!

Are you sure about that one? It says on their website at least one day before the exam. I might give them a call, it really would be great not to have to arrive hours before I can even check into my hotel!

yeh i seen people doing that in march. they handed their books in before the exam and they got it back at ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

smjsmj wrote: »
    yeh i seen people doing that in march. they handed their books in before the exam and they got it back at ten.

That's absolutely right. I've seen it and done it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

So what are we predicting for company and property?
    Cant wait till the 13th October!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

God why didn't I do any study today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Hi guys!

Hope the study is going well for all

Does anyone have grids for company and constitutional? My last two so could use all the help I can get, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Nang

On questions regarding Causation I was wondering if anyone could clarify the law for me on the two tests...

- do we only use the "but for" test in Ireland, even if there is sequential events/multiple causation- or do we use the material contribution test like the McGee/Wilsher tests used in the UK.

I have two manuals and one seems to say that in Ireland the material contribution test was outright rejected in Quinn v Mid-Western HB and the other seems to imply that that same case in fact implied that McGhee could be followed in appropriate circumstances!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hey all,

Trying to narrow down which personal rights to cover for constitutional and thinking of leaving out right to privacy, right to travel, right to communicate, right to marry, & most of right to bodily integrity.

Also thinking of leaving out freedom of assembly, freedom of association, religious freedom and A45 other than it's importance re socio-economic rights.

Anyone think there's anything there that would be silly to leave out?

Impossible to cover entire course!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hero82

Hey guys, hope the study is going well for everyone!!.what are peoples views about question 7 april 2011 for constitutional? im open to correction but i would of said for part (a) to discuss the non delgation doctrine and property rights and for part (b) equality??. Im a bit unsure about this any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Hi all,
    Hitting the panic stations at the moment as I havnt started studying for 2 of my 4 subjects yet.. so Im wondering if I cover the following for Equity would I be ok;
    Injunctions
    Specific Performance
    Recission
    Rectification
    Tracing
    Resulting Trusts
    Charitable Trusts
    Secret Trusts
    Cy-pres

I know this is cutting it down alot but since Im not really cutting anything out of company, criminal or contract (on advice from a number of people!) I need to cut this down alot!WHat does everone think? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Hi guys,

What is everyone doing for Company?

I am hoping to cover:

Pre Incorporation Contracts
    s.25 Contracts
    Consequences of Incorp
    Separate corporate personality, lifting the veil etc
    Corporate Contracts
    Ultra Vires
    Dirs: A80, Duties, Restrictions and disqualification, Reckless and Fraudulent Trading
    Corporate Borrowings
    Examinership
    Official Winding up

Thoughts??!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Hi guys,

What is everyone doing for Company?

I am hoping to cover:

Pre Incorporation Contracts
    s.25 Contracts
    Consequences of Incorp
    Separate corporate personality, lifting the veil etc
    Corporate Contracts
    Ultra Vires
    Dirs: A80, Duties, Restrictions and disqualification, Reckless and Fraudulent Trading
    Corporate Borrowings
    Examinership
    Official Winding up

Thoughts??!

This is my first go at them and I am totally lost as to how much can be cut out, but if its any help the griffith one day course gave predictions for the 8 exam qs which was as follows:
    Consequences of incorporation
    ultra vires
    2 questions on directors; duties including s.29/31 and either restriction/disqualification or fraudulent and reckless trading
    examinership
    corporate borrowings-probably registration of charges
    capital maintenance
    how the company makes decisions
    s.205/foss v harbottle
    and possibly 213(e).

You seem to be hitting most of those so I think you should be ok, she was very insistent that capital maintenance is a likely question though, its very dull but its short and easy and not many people do it so may well be worth doing if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

This is my first go at them and I am totally lost as to how much can be cut out, but if its any help the griffith one day course gave predictions for the 8 exam qs which was as follows:
    Consequences of incorporation
    ultra vires
    2 questions on directors; duties including s.29/31 and either restriction/disqualification or fraudulent and reckless trading
    examinership
    corporate borrowings-probably registration of charges
    capital maintenance
    how the company makes decisions
    s.205/foss v harbottle
    and possibly 213(e).

You seem to be hitting most of those so I think you should be ok, she was very insistent that capital maintenance is a likely question though, its very dull but its short and easy and not many people do it so may well be worth doing if you can!

Awesome, thanks! I can't really help with your equity predictions, though I did it last time and got 50 on the nose. Thought it went better than that if I'm being honest so it might be marked hard, so make sure you know your stuff!

Aren't those predictions pretty much everything?I think directors just has to be on unless he plans screwing us over twice

not doing equity, did it last sitting, but u should be covered, maybe look at the note questions too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Nang

Hi all,
    Hitting the panic stations at the moment as I havnt started studying for 2 of my 4 subjects yet.. so Im wondering if I cover the following for Equity would I be ok;
    Injunctions
    Specific Performance
    Recission
    Rectification
    Tracing
    Resulting Trusts
    Charitable Trusts
    Secret Trusts
    Cy-pres

I know this is cutting it down alot but since Im not really cutting anything out of company, criminal or contract (on advice from a number of people!) I need to cut this down alot!WHat does everone think? Thanks!

Yeh that would definately be enough for 5 out of 8 questions...at least I hope so as I'm doing the same topics except I've chosen estoppel and express trusts over restulting trusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Anyone know what the independent intensive revision classes are like if you've already done the 12 weeks of lectures? Is it the same material as will be covered in the tutorials? Just wondering would the time be better spent trying to finish note taking etc so can finally move on to actually learning the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

Hi everyone, hope study is going okay. Just a quick question in relation to company on pre-incorporation contracts, there seems to be very little in the manual on it so if a question came up like last time what do you info is essential and where would i find some more??

Hi all,
    Injunctions
    Specific Performance
    Recission
    Rectification
    Tracing
    Resulting Trusts
    Charitable Trusts
    Secret Trusts
    Cy-pres

You ought to have enough there to tackle your five questions. When you say injunctions, that's a broad heading - make sure you cover Marevas and Anton Pilars in there as well. I would perhaps say look at Donatio Mortis Causa also, and maybe Strong v Bird, and having said that much, three or four maxims wouldn't be difficult to cover and you can use them in almost any sort of an answer in equity. I got Equity last Spring TG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lawnut

Is the standard for the fe1 exams much different to college exams?

lawnut wrote: »
    Is the standard for the fe1 exams much different to college exams?

Most of us think it is a higher standard I would think. I was an A-student in college many times, but I have failed some FE1s, on the other hand, some recent graduates have shot through all eight FE1s in one sitting. I have seen people trying three or even more times to get just one subject, yet also people with no law degree have passed easily enough. You just have to get yourself into the correct mode for the FE1s by researching the past papers, the examiners' reports and perhaps the sample answers from the prep colleges. GCD have put some of their material in the public domain here and that will give you an indication of the standard of question asked and answer expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BroadwayBound

Does anyone know where I could get the Sale of Goods Act 1893? It's English so Government Publications don't have it. Do most people bring the legislation in for Contract? I don't even know if I'm doing that topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Does anyone know where I could get the Sale of Goods Act 1893? It's English so Government Publications don't have it. Do most people bring the legislation in for Contract? I don't even know if I'm doing that topic!

I ordered it from Liam Ruiseal in Cork. If you're not Cork based then some other book shop may be able to do that for you. If you have time then I'd say you should have a look over that topic, I flew through the material as most of what you need (at least as far as Irish statutes go - the European directives are a nightmare) is in the statutes and you just need to read it to get the gist and then highlight and tab your legislation.

Both pieces of legislation together will only cost you about €10. Even if you don't intend to do the topic you'd never know whether you'll need it in the exam or not so why not bring it in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

EU

Hi all! Does anyone happen to know if we can bring in the new edition of Blackstones legislation into the EU exam, the 22nd edition or does it have to be the older one thats on the permitted legislation list on the law society website, the 20th edition (2009-2010)?

Equity

Any predictions as to whats expected on the paper? Im thinking tracing and estoppel maybe?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Any views on whether the ECHR is likely to make a reappearance? There has been some recent case law on it.

JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement