Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Charlie D wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope study is going okay. Just a quick question in relation to company on pre-incorporation contracts, there seems to be very little in the manual on it so if a question came up like last time what do you info is essential and where would i find some more??

Hi CharlieD, everything you need for pre incorporation contract questions will be in Courtney's book + have a look at his exam report also. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Kamilat wrote: »
    EU

Hi all! Does anyone happen to know if we can bring in the new edition of Blackstones legislation into the EU exam, the 22nd edition or does it have to be the older one thats on the permitted legislation list on the law society website, the 20th edition (2009-2010)?

Equity

Any predictions as to whats expected on the paper? Im thinking tracing and estoppel maybe?

Thanks

Hi, the lecturer at Griffith at the one day course said that she contacted them and it didn't matter what edition it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Kamilat wrote: »
    EU

Hi all! Does anyone happen to know if we can bring in the new edition of Blackstones legislation into the EU exam, the 22nd edition or does it have to be the older one thats on the permitted legislation list on the law society website, the 20th edition (2009-2010)?

Equity

Any predictions as to whats expected on the paper? Im thinking tracing and estoppel maybe?

Thanks

Hi, the lecturer at Griffith at the one day course said that she contacted them and it didn't matter what edition it was.
    brilliant, thanks a mil for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sofakingood

Hey all, I hope study is going well.

Just a quick question for those studying Contract.
    At the moment I am doing Implied terms of a contract.
    I am using last years Griffith Manual and I find it very helpful, however
    my concern is that in I have discovered two relatively new cases
    (Horan v O'Reilly and the English case AG v Belize Telecom) that do not appear in the manual.
    I personally found the facts and rulings in these cases to be very relevant however, I am a bit sceptical about mentioning cases in the exam which Griffith college did not find to be relevant.
    My question therefore is,
    Are other people going to mention these cases in the exam?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

Hey,

Anybody got notes/sample answers for defamation post 2009 Act????

Could REALLY do with these pleaseeeee!!! :/

Have other sample answers for company, tort, criminal etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Just wondering if anyone has an up to date grid (griffith preferably but will take independent if it's going!)in Criminal and/or Contract?

Have sample answers on both subjects as well as property and equity that i'd be happy to swap. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Hey all, I hope study is going well.

Just a quick question for those studying Contract.
    At the moment I am doing Implied terms of a contract.
    I am using last years Griffith Manual and I find it very helpful, however
    my concern is that in I have discovered two relatively new cases
    (Horan v O'Reilly and the English case AG v Belize Telecom) that do not appear in the manual.
    I personally found the facts and rulings in these cases to be very relevant however, I am a bit sceptical about mentioning cases in the exam which Griffith college did not find to be relevant.
    My question therefore is,
    Are other people going to mention these cases in the exam?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Anything you know and can use is good. But as for non-inclusion, there are dozens if not hundreds of cases which are examples of well-tested principles. As I read Horan v O'Reilly when it came out (HC here) (SC here) (it was the lottery syndicate case), it didn't really add much to an understanding of the general principles as regards implied terms (i.e. Tradax, Sweeney etc etc). It was about as unremarkable a case as far as implied terms go as one can find?

As regards Belize, (which I assume is the one at [2009] 1 WLR 1988), again, there is certainly nice summaries of the English position therein such as quotes from Trollope etc, but they don't really advance much over Tradax and Sweeney nor the examples given in the manual of, say, Murphy, Buckley, Keogh v Pye etc. I suppose Belize is nice a text-book or manual substitute for the law in England, but I don't really think it advances much on what is in the manual and hence it wasn't included as being "just another example".

Regards

Brian

GCD

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

lawnut wrote: »
    Is the standard for the fe1 exams much different to college exams?

Its not necessarily the standard that may be the issue, but the divorce of the candidate from the examiner in the sense that you haven't sat in a class with the examiner for 30 weeks picking up on subtle hints, suggestions etc as to what may be on an exam. Equally, the syllabi tend to be longer than what would be taught at undergraduate level (in some institutions). In truth, I'd really say its just more law to learn which, I suppose, can mean its a higher standard since more retention is needed. From the subjects I'm most familiar with (contract, constitutional), I wouldn't see the questions as much more difficult than that which would be on undergraduate papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is anyone else leaving out defamation for Tort. I am covering just about everything else on the Tort sylabus bar some of the stuff that came up last year that NEVER comes up. I know it is quite likely that a question on defamation will probably come up but i really couldnt be bothered with it.

I mean you are only guaranteed 1 question from it and its a huge topic, and one that i dont particularly like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

HI peeps, am just studying for Criminal with an old manual (2008 Griffith) as I'm too broke to get an up to date one, has there been any substantial changes to the syllabus since then or massive changes to the law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is anyone else leaving out defamation for Tort. I am covering just about everything else on the Tort sylabus bar some of the stuff that came up last year that NEVER comes up. I know it is quite likely that a question on defamation will probably come up but i really couldnt be bothered with it.

I mean you are only guaranteed 1 question from it and its a huge topic, and one that i dont particularly like.

Yep i'm leaving it out too.
    doing pretty much everything else: D.O.C, causation,economic loss,nerv shock,professional neg,employers/vicarious,trespass,nuisance,misc torts then bullet points on defences/damages and limitations.
    think i should be grand...just hate defamation.
    if i'm leaving anything out there lemme know!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Yep i'm leaving it out too.
    doing pretty much everything else: D.O.C, causation,economic loss,nerv shock,professional neg,employers/vicarious,trespass,nuisance,misc torts then bullet points on defences/damages and limitations.
    think i should be grand...just hate defamation.
    if i'm leaving anything out there lemme know!!:)

Products liability?

qz wrote: »
    Products liability?

B*ll*cks!:D

also missing 'passing off' and occupiers......anybody got any tips??

boomtown84 wrote: »
    B*ll*cks!:D

also missing 'passing off' and occupiers......anybody got any tips??

Passing off probably wont come up but occupiers liability might. Id cover that if i were you. Im tempted to leave out Rylands v Fletcher rule aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Occupiers' Liability is the handiest topic. Bit of historical common law background, one 1995 Act that has only 9 sections iirc, and some illustrative cases. Please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sofakingood

Thanks for the reply. :)

qz wrote: »
    Occupiers' Liability is the handiest topic. Bit of historical common law background, one 1995 Act that has only 9 sections iirc, and some illustrative cases. Please and thanks.

just did it this avo.would be a handy question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lawnut

contract really seems to be creating serious confusion for me. Is it possible to really separate topics or will a mixed bag be expected in answering? Anyone got any definite topic ideas to study at this late stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Thumbelina2010

Hi all hope the study is going very well i was just wondering does anyone have an recent EU exam grid?? Or even know what is tipped to come up i'm really struggling with it?? PLease and Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

lawnut wrote: »
    contract really seems to be creating serious confusion for me. Is it possible to really separate topics or will a mixed bag be expected in answering? Anyone got any definite topic ideas to study at this late stage?

You have to do offer & acceptance, everything to do with the essentials of contract formation. Then do what happens when things go wrong - terms, warranties, conditions etc. Move on to rectification and recission, legal and equitable remedies, and roll in damages. There was a completely straightforward essay question on damages last year which coincided neatly with an article on damages written and published by Prof R Clarke, the FE1 examiner, it's on Westlaw.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bern8

Does anyone have any sample answers for EU?

I have ones for company, contract, property, equity or criminal if wanna swap!

anyone got a grid for property?did landlord/tenant come up twice in the last paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Is anyone else yet to receive exam number. Starting to panic. I got receipt of examination fees ages ago, but no word yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

godeas16 wrote: »
    Is anyone else yet to receive exam number. Starting to panic. I got receipt of examination fees ages ago, but no word yet??

Haven't received mine either godeas16.

nope

Would anybody know if there has been any new updates or major changes in the area of trusteeship in equity? Is trustee act 1893 still applicable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Not here either, not worried. Don't panic - consideration has passed, you have an enforceable agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Thanks all for replies on this. That's reassuring. Only two weeks!!!!

EU
    how does everyone find eu? Do people usually pass it on their first attempt or is it tough enough to pass with bare minimum done? Needless to say....freaking out at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Hi if anyone has Griffith Manuals or Independent College Manuals for sale could you let me know. Hoping to sit Contract, Property, Equity & Criminal in March and want to get the materials sorted soon! Thanks :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement