Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

is anyone else really struggling with constitutional?? been trying to answer problem questions and then looking at the griffith sample answers and i have my answer completly wrong. its so frustrating!!!
    Looking at freedom of expression, the exam grid says that q5 march 09 and q3 october 09 were question on it, yet the sample answer on q5 refers only to Article 16, which i didnt have in my answer anyway and nothing on freedom of expression or the unspecified right to communicate.

I really am hoping that there is 2 questions on seperation of powers on this paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Kamilat wrote: »
    EU
    how does everyone find eu? Do people usually pass it on their first attempt or is it tough enough to pass with bare minimum done? Needless to say....freaking out at this stage!

It's a pure b*st*rd imho!

lbcoconut wrote: »
    Hi if anyone has Griffith Manuals or Independent College Manuals for sale could you let me know. Hoping to sit Contract, Property, Equity & Criminal in March and want to get the materials sorted soon! Thanks :)

You're on the wrong board, the thought police will be after you. Surf on over here We're all high-minded legal purists here who don't get involved in mere commerce ;-)

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mccormick

hey, struggling thru these two at the minute would love sample answers to help me along. i have samples for property and criminal that i would exchange or id be willing to pay for samples at this stage!thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just to let people now that the exams are definitely on in the Red Cow this time around. The Law Society only mentioned "Dublin" in the application form, I wanted to be 100% sure so i rang the Red Cow and they confirmed it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

I am really struggling at this point. I've cut down to part-time work and studied 40 hours this week but I just feel like its not enough. Is it true the majority spend 12 hours a day studying for the last few weeks? Worrying about what I'm up against but I cant quit my job :( Im thinking about dropping my 4th- company, but I really dont know if thats a risk I want to take. Anyone else going insane?! I cant even study today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭skeenan89

HI
    really need some sample answers for property! i have sample answers in Independent colleges which i will swap in exchange??

also im working off a winter 2010/2011 manaual for property - does anyone know if the updated version from independent has much changes? ive heard runours about the cohabitees act 2010!

thanks in advance! not long now eeek:(

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Caoileann wrote: »
    I am really struggling at this point. I've cut down to part-time work and studied 40 hours this week but I just feel like its not enough. Is it true the majority spend 12 hours a day studying for the last few weeks? Worrying about what I'm up against but I cant quit my job :( Im thinking about dropping my 4th- company, but I really dont know if thats a risk I want to take. Anyone else going insane?! I cant even study today..

Hi Caoileann,

Don't worry about what other people are doing. 12 hours a day may work for some and not for others. It is quality study not quantity you should be aiming for at this stage. These exams are tough, but all you can do is your best.

The important thing is, even if you do badly on one paper, just keep going and do the rest, as you never know.

I wouldn't advise you to drop company to be honest, as only preparing to sit three papers can be a massive gamble which could go badly wrong (I am speaking from experience). Having said that, only you know how much you can take in between now and October, so good luck with your decision either way [and with the exams of course].

skeenan89 wrote: »
    HI
    really need some sample answers for property! i have sample answers in Independent colleges which i will swap in exchange??

also im working off a winter 2010/2011 manaual for property - does anyone know if the updated version from independent has much changes? ive heard runours about the cohabitees act 2010!

thanks in advance! not long now eeek:(

Skeenasn89, you should look at the explanatory memorandum of the Civil Partnership...2010 Act as the examiner has stressed that this act will feature in upcoming exams. It affects the area of Family home protection and succession. I can't recall the section numbers off hand, but the current Indo manual just has a short paragraph on the act.

colonel1 wrote: »
    Skeenasn89, you should look at the explanatory memorandum of the Civil Partnership...2010 Act as the examiner has stressed that this act will feature in upcoming exams. It affects the area of Family home protection and succession. I can't recall the section numbers off hand, but the current Indo manual just has a short paragraph on the act.

Colonel....is the explanatory memorandum just at the front the act itself??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

What's the general consensus about abreviations? M.S for member states? OATS offences against the state?Etc... Will that piss the examiner off or is it ok cuz they know ur under time pressure??

hi guys....

just wondering if people are leaving out defective premises for the exam? it hasnt seemed to have come up before!
    think im gonna do:

duty of care
    standard of care
    causation
    proof of negligence
    pure economic loss
    nervous shock
    professional negligence
    employers liability
    vicarious liability
    occupiers liability
    defective products
    defamation
    trepass to the person
    torts relating to land
    passing off
    misc tort
    defences and
    damages

anything else i need to do????

It's here. You'll never get an exp memo with an Act, but you'll get it on the Oireachtas website as I have given you, and also on the individual Department's website depending on which Dept holds the relevant brief - criminal acts will be in Justice, planning acts in Environment etc.

Since that Act won't yet have been litigated in the higher courts to any significant extent if at all, there's only a limited amount that can be asked about it really.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    It's here. You'll never get an exp memo with an Act, but you'll get it on the Oireachtas website as I have given you, and also on the individual Department's website depending on which Dept holds the relevant brief - criminal acts will be in Justice, planning acts in Environment etc.

Since that Act won't yet have been litigated in the higher courts to any significant extent if at all, there's only a limited amount that can be asked about it really.

thanks JC ended up finding it via my favourite thing....google!:)
    anything else the manual for April's property exam might be missin???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

anything else i need to do????

Limitations.

thanks JC ended up finding it via my favourite thing....google!:)
    anything else the manual for April's property exam might be missin???

Thank God I passed property last October, so I'm not keeping up-to-date, I have enough to worry about~! good luck with it anyway, it's not the worst area of law to study, it follows common sense.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Limitations.

thanks no Quarter

do you think it would be okay to leave out defective premsies then?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

Hi, I'm on attempt number 2 at passing Constitutional. It's my last FE1 so I'm trying to do as much as possible to pass it. Although, I reckon what I failed on last time was not recognising the issues in the problems correctly, so all my work may be in vain if that happens again!!

Two questions:

(1) What were the issues in Q7 and Q8 of the Spring 2011 paper? If I recall correctly I answered using quite a bit of the same law, which most likely can't have been right!!

(2) I have done Article 26, but I haven't done the rest of the law on the office of President. Is it worth doing it this time, with the looming election and all?

Thanks!

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    What's the general consensus about abreviations? M.S for member states? OATS offences against the state?Etc... Will that piss the examiner off or is it ok cuz they know ur under time pressure??

Well you've got eight FE1 examiners, plus their assistants, that's a lot of breadth of opinion and personal preferences, likes and dislikes. If you must do it, I would suggest you should be careful to indicate what you intend the first time you mention the term eg 'this essay is going to be about Member States (MS), and I know everything about MS as you will soon see'. Be super-careful about ones that could be confusing like ECHR and ECtHR.

law_lady wrote: »
    Hi, I'm on attempt number 2 at passing Constitutional. It's my last FE1 so I'm trying to do as much as possible to pass it. Although, I reckon what I failed on last time was not recognising the issues in the problems correctly, so all my work may be in vain if that happens again!!

Two questions:

(1) What were the issues in Q7 and Q8 of the Spring 2011 paper? If I recall correctly I answered using quite a bit of the same law, which most likely can't have been right!!

(2) I have done Article 26, but I haven't done the rest of the law on the office of President. Is it worth doing it this time, with the looming election and all?

Thanks!

Didja no' get the examiner's report? He said Q8 was about justification in the interference with property rights and "more significant issues of retrospectivity". I would think you should shoot down S2 and S4, as the question is put, on retrospectivity. S5 is ok on retrospectivity, possibly justifiable interference with a property right, but vague and imprecise in terms of defining a SUV. Does the law know what a Sports Utility Vehicle is? What might be a tool of the trade for a farmer or builder may be a fashion statement for an urban dweller. In the end I'd argue for shooting down the whole Act on retrospectivity and vague and imprecise law.

He said nothing about Q7 so this is only my own guess. Things appear for reasons... he gave you the objective from the long title. He gave you the blurb from the Minister's launch speech which means nothing in law of course, but note that it isn't on all fours with the long title.
    After that, the main issue seems to be interference with the property rights of those who are left holding the money, and is the discretion given to this board proportionate to the objective of the Act, rather than the stated objective of the Minister.
    As for Martin getting the benefits of Ss 4 & 12 extended to him, go into the various cases about social welfare and deserted husbands etc.

To be honest I would find that a vague and imprecise question myself! Maybe GCD's sample answer would shed some better light on it.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is anyone else leaving out defamation for Tort. I am covering just about everything else on the Tort sylabus bar some of the stuff that came up last year that NEVER comes up. I know it is quite likely that a question on defamation will probably come up but i really couldnt be bothered with it.

I mean you are only guaranteed 1 question from it and its a huge topic, and one that i dont particularly like.

I'm thinking the same about leaving out defamation! altho bit worried cause i've already cut down Tort as it is! kinda running outa time and would rather study my other topics really well instead of covering defamation and bearing in mind the changes with the 2009 act! I'm going to give it another few days and if i've time i'll do it! It didn't come up last year so i'd be pretty pissed if i studied it and it didn't come up again!!!!! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

No, didn't bother getting the examiners report because from what I had seen of his previous "reports", he rarely gives any constructive feedback! Thanks for that, I need to re-examine my exam paper now and try to decipher from my mid-exam scrawl what I did and didn't include in my answer.

Also, Orla FitzP - in relation to abbreviations, what I tend to do is write the term in full the first time, then put the abbreviation I intend to use in brackets, e.g. Supreme Court (hereafter referred to as SC). Then for the rest of the answer I just say SC. I haven't had any indication that this was a problem. I definitely used MS for Member States in EU Law, you'd be driven cracked writing that stupid phrase so many times!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I'm totally in the dark for criminal as I'm not working off an up to date manual and I don't know anyone sitting it this time. Would anyone be able to let me know what they're studying and leaving out? It would be so helpful just to know what everyone else is at :)

Hi skeenan89. I bought a print copy of the 2010 act and the explanatory memorandum came as a separate booklet. The relevant sections [to family property] are 28, 29, 118, 128 [Civil partners] and part 15 for cohabitants. Also s174 regarding property adjustment orders. Cohabitants can be same or opposite sex couples but civil partners are same sex couples only. That is all the information that is given in the Indo college manual. Wylie and Lyall have information on the act in the latest [4th editions] of their text books.

In terms of succession civil partners now have the same protection as spouse concerning the legal right share and appropriation of the dwelling home sections of the 1965 Succession act.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 noope

Hi,

Looking for consolidated Companies Acts *student edition preferably) if anyone is looking to sell?

Based in Dublin

noope wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for consolidated Companies Acts *student edition preferably) if anyone is looking to sell?

Based in Dublin

See post 6338 and read the title of this board...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 erinp

Hi,
    well I've left constitutional law as my last to start (big mistake) and while I've done a bit in it already I'm really running out of time and was wondering has anyone any idea what the hot topics are? Are there any topics that always come up? (like in property there's usually two questions on succession and one on ap etc). I have the exam papers but its quite hard even to see what topics came up and I dont have an exam grid.
    Good luck to everyone, hope you're getting on better than me :)

erinp wrote: »
    Hi,
    well I've left constitutional law as my last to start (big mistake) and while I've done a bit in it already I'm really running out of time and was wondering has anyone any idea what the hot topics are? Are there any topics that always come up? (like in property there's usually two questions on succession and one on ap etc). I have the exam papers but its quite hard even to see what topics came up and I dont have an exam grid.
    Good luck to everyone, hope you're getting on better than me :)

President/AG
    Unconstitutional legislation - Acts & Regs, Laurentiu et al
    Retrospective legislation
    Sep of powers
    Property rights - Dellway etc
    Fair procedures - kick in only when a right is invaded
    ECHR v Bunreacht - Fennell & 03 Act
    Trial in due course of law & stopping a trial, hierarchy of rights
    All relevant recent constitutional cases 09-11

That would be my approx core selection anyway.

JC

I've downloaded and printed the .pdf version of the 1997 Act from www.irishstatutebook.ie. For some unknown reason, it doesn't give the fines for offences under Ss 3-5 following conviction on indictment. Can anybody tell me what are the maximum fines on indictment under those sections please?

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 erinp

JCJCJC wrote: »
    President/AG
    Unconstitutional legislation - Acts & Regs, Laurentiu et al
    Retrospective legislation
    Sep of powers
    Property rights - Dellway etc
    Fair procedures - kick in only when a right is invaded
    ECHR v Bunreacht - Fennell & 03 Act
    Trial in due course of law & stopping a trial, hierarchy of rights
    All relevant recent constitutional cases 09-11

That would be my approx core selection anyway.

JC

Thank you so much JC, you have no idea how much this helps me; I had to stop myself from leafing through the papers in the middle of the night! Feel like I can handle it now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement