Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Hi,
    Its my first time sitting company but I do think you will be safe leaving those out- you are able to leave some things out as the questions are not overly mixed (judging by past papers) and that is very little, Im leaving out alot more due to time constraints, including auditors, company investigation, liability for tort/crime, voluntary liquidation and disposition of assets..I will try to cover some of those if time allows.
    The pass rate for company has been very poor, one of the worst, it was down around 30% for the last few years. But, it made a big leap up to 50% passing in the last sitting, so hopefully the examiners will want to sustain that and will give a reasonable paper again!

Im working off an indo manual and there's none of that auditors or company investigation or torts etc included!
    From looking at the past paper i actually thought last paper was nasty cos it wud really throw ppl not having borrowing or director's duties on it. I hope it doesn't become a trend!Although its positive to have had such a leap in the pass rate, i wonder was that more to him realising he was being too harsh a marker rather than a jump in the standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

Hi
    Only getting around to looking at Criminal Past papers now - can anyone tell me who has sat the exam - how hard he actually marks it. By the looks of the examiner reports I might as well give it up now - he doesn't actually expect that does he?

Is he just being unnecessarily long-winded or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Im working off an indo manual and there's none of that auditors or company investigation or torts etc included!
    From looking at the past paper i actually thought last paper was nasty cos it wud really throw ppl not having borrowing or director's duties on it. I hope it doesn't become a trend!Although its positive to have had such a leap in the pass rate, i wonder was that more to him realising he was being too harsh a marker rather than a jump in the standard!

Lets hope that the constitutional examiner comes to the same conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Guys any predictions from Indo or Griffith for eu yet? What a nasty subject! I'd sit constitutional a hundred times over instead!

• Advertisement

Kamilat wrote: »
    Guys any predictions from Indo or Griffith for eu yet? What a nasty subject! I'd sit constitutional a hundred times over instead!

Im the complete opposite. Passed EU twice in a row (Didnt pass 3 the first time), and iv failed constitutional 3 times. Id gladly sit your EU if you sit my constitutional :p

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Charlie D wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

You are welcome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

garethj wrote: »
    Hi
    Only getting around to looking at Criminal Past papers now - can anyone tell me who has sat the exam - how hard he actually marks it. By the looks of the examiner reports I might as well give it up now - he doesn't actually expect that does he?

Is he just being unnecessarily long-winded or what?

Having passed it I found I needed to know alota case law and no the relevant sections of statute, otherwise u just look like uve an idea of things, u need to really be able to point to case law and statute as proof, otherwise its too obvious for instance that someone dead could be murder!

Any advice on company, what's he looking for? He seems cruel as an examiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Would anybody be able to give me a quick summary of the facts in DPP -v- Douglas & Hayes [1985] please?

Hi JC, I've only got a really, really brief summary but it's from Mullen and McIntyres' essential law text 2006.
    The defendants in the course of a robbery opened fire on a garda car, hitting it with 3 bullets. They were charged with shooting with intent to commit murder and were convicted by the Special Criminal Court on the basis that:

"It must have been apparent that the natural consequence of the shooting would be to cause death or serious personal injury to one or more of the guards in the car and secondly, the person who fired the shots did so with reckless disregard of killing a guard and in the legal sense, he had the intent to commit murder. It is not necessary to constitute the intent to kill that that should be the desired outcome of what was done. It is sufficent if it is a likely outcome and that the act is done with reckless disregard of the outcome."

And this is taken from page 48-9 of the Law Reform Commission Report on Murder and Involuntary Manslaughter LRC 87-2008, although from the Court of Criminal Appeal.

2.25 In The People (DPP) v Douglas and Hayes29 the Court of
    Criminal Appeal briefly considered the meaning of “intention”. The Court’s
    remarks in relation to murder are, strictly speaking, obiter as the defendant
    was charged with “shooting with intent to commit murder” contrary to
    section 14 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. The appellants
    argued that the Special Criminal Court did not consider the matter of an
    intention to commit murder on the proper basis. It was submitted that the
    court relied on the following propositions30:
    • if someone had actually been killed, the appellants would have been
    guilty of murder and were thus guilty of an intent to murder;
    • that an intention to murder would be established if it were shown
    that it must have been apparent to the appellants that the natural
    consequence of the shooting would be to cause death or serious
    personal injury to one or more of the guards;
    • that an act done with reckless disregard of the risk of killing is done
    with an intent to murder;
    • that it is not necessary to establish an intention to kill that such
    death should be the desired outcome, but that it need only be a
    likely outcome; and
    • that the act was done with reckless disregard of that outcome.
    2.26 The Court of Criminal Appeal observed that unless an accused has
    actually expressed an intent to kill, his intent can only be ascertained from a
    consideration of his actions and the surrounding circumstances.31 Regarding
    proof of intention, a general principle has evolved so that an accused is taken
    to intend the natural and probable consequences of his/her own acts. The
    29 [1985] ILRM 25.
    30 Ibid at 26.
    31 Ibid at 27.
    Court referred to the 41st edition of Archbold where it is stated that in law a
    man intends the consequences of his voluntary act when he foresees that it
    will probably happen, whether he desires it or not.32
    2.27 The Court considered that English decisions on the meaning of
    intention in the context of murder were applicable to section 14. The Court
    held that foresight and recklessness could not be equated with intention,
    although they might, in certain circumstances, be evidence from which an
    inference of intention could be drawn. In summarising the law on intention,
    the Court stated:
    “In the circumstances of any particular case evidence of the fact
    that a reasonable man would have foreseen that the natural and
    probable consequence of the acts of an accused was to cause death
    and evidence of the fact that the accused was reckless as to
    whether his acts would cause death or not is evidence from which
    an inference of intent to cause death may or should be drawn, but
    the court must consider whether either or both of these facts do
    establish beyond a reasonable doubt an actual intention to cause
    death… ”33
    2.28 The Court of Criminal Appeal proceeded to state that death need
    not be the desired outcome of an accused’s act in order to constitute an
    intention to kill.34 However, a reckless disregard of the likely outcome is not
    of itself proof of an intention to kill, but is merely one of the facts to be
    considered in deciding whether the correct inference is that the accused
    intended to kill.35

Hope it helps a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Just wondering if anyone could please, please, please give me a heads up on what appeared on the last paper from both subjects. Many thanks :)

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Kamilat wrote: »

Im the complete opposite. Passed EU twice in a row (Didnt pass 3 the first time), and iv failed constitutional 3 times. Id gladly sit your EU if you sit my constitutional :p

honestly I'd do it in a heartbeat if we were allowed do so. Any tips for eu then? Did u get the constitutional in the end?

Would anyone be able to help me as regards tracing in equity please. I'm looking at the problem q's which seem to be the same all the time, Q5 Oct'10 and Q6 March'09. Basically d first part I understand but the second part causes a bit of confusion, where the solicitor made certain payments from the mixed funds to the beneficiaries under the trust in accordance with terms thereof. The examiners report only tells which cases should be considered but which case does actually apply is it Re Diplock(pari passu) or rule in Claytons case(first in/first out)? If I'm correct, Re Halletts estate applies to the first part no?

Sorry if I sound a bit confusing, I'd really appreciate ur views on it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I'd just like to warn people of relying too heavily on tips. Last time I relied too much on what was predicted for EU and they didn't come up, at all!:eek: Just look through the past exam papers and see whether you'd be able to answer five and what topics mix in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 t2340

What topics are people thinking for property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

ananas wrote: »
    I'd just like to warn people of relying too heavily on tips. Last time I relied too much on what was predicted for EU and they didn't come up, at all!:eek: Just look through the past exam papers and see whether you'd be able to answer five and what topics mix in together.

Yeah and the constitutional examiner in his report in march 2010 have quite a strong warning about tips and trends- point of the matter they don't exist?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    Yeah and the constitutional examiner in his report in march 2010 have quite a strong warning about tips and trends- point of the matter they don't exist?!

A few examiners have warned about this in their reports I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Orla FitzP wrote: »

I think we all know that, but ultimately examiners are human beings. Unless they use a random number generator to hop between the topics on the syllabii in a scientifically truly random way, their personal preferences, consciously or otherwise, will eventually create a loose pattern. The people in the prep colleges make a professional living from studying the FE1 papers, and to the extent that there is a a pattern, if at all, they have analysed and identified it. As practising barristers which most or all of them are, they are well used to presentlng cases in different ways to suit the judges they may draw - what flies before one judge will irritate another, etc. That developed intuitive skill is being brought to bear on the FE1 exams - it may not be a precise mathematical science, but it's a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jowls

JCJCJC wrote: »
    The people in the prep colleges make a professional living from studying the FE1 papers, and to the extent that there is a a pattern, if at all, they have analysed and identified it. As practising barristers which most or all of them are, they are well used to presentlng cases in different ways to suit the judges they may draw - what flies before one judge will irritate another, etc. That developed intuitive skill is being brought to bear on the FE1 exams - it may not be a precise mathematical science, but it's a good starting point.

They make their money from convincing you that you're getting something valuable in return for your cash. So it suits them to give predictions as if there's some inside line that isnt availably in the shops and that only they (and you for 9.99 plus postage :)) can get.

It may or may not be worth doing but when the examiners are warning about it, it would lead me to think that there are serious risks involved in relying on it.

What came up in EU in The last sitting (Apr '11)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cooper10

Constitutional

Hey all,

I'm really stuck for time so can only do either Family or Property for Constitutional - anybody know which I'd be better to focus on?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Property all the way.

cooper10 wrote: »
    Constitutional

Hey all,

I'm really stuck for time so can only do either Family or Property for Constitutional - anybody know which I'd be better to focus on?
    Thanks

Property, Property, Property and Property. Examiner seems to really love his property Q's. Although family does come up ALOT and is relatively small. 2hrs work and you would have it covered.

Just understand the protection afforded to the family based on marriage and your sorted.

EDIT: And the unmarried natural father

cooper10 wrote: »
    Constitutional

Hey all,

Thanks

Property, Property, Property and Property. Examiner seems to really love his property Q's. Although family does come up ALOT and is relatively small. 2hrs work and you would have it covered.

Just understand the protection afforded to the family based on marriage and your sorted.

EDIT: And the unmarried natural father

Thanks so much - I'll do property so. Oct 12th cannot come soon enough!

Company

just wondering whether people are doing Receivership, Liquidation or Examinership or whether time would be better spent doing something like Ultra Vires and Corporate Authority? Realistically I don't have time for all so it's defo either / or at this stage and seems to be the winding up topics aren't maybe as popular as main body of company law? All suggestions greatly appreciated!

ananas wrote: »

Agreed ananas, tips can be dangerous. For example borrowing, usually a banker question, didn't appear on the March 2011 company law paper, while separate legal personality [which hadn't appeared in a while] did. The only "pattern" I can discern, regarding the subjects I have done so far [company, contract, equity, criminal] is that some of the examiners like to throw in a question on a topic which hasn't appared on the exam papers for a couple of years [sale of goods act in contract, which came up in october 2010 in a nasty question] which haven't appeared on papers for years. Try and be as well prepared as you can, and be careful with cutting stuff out [you can't really with criminal]. Good luck:D

colonel1 wrote: »
    Civil partners now have the same rights as spouses, courtesy of the 2010 act, with regard to legal right share (s111 of the 1965 Succession Act as amended) and the appropriation of the dwelling place (s56 of the 1965 Succession act as amended). The latest editions of Wylie and Lyall are very good on the impact of the 2010 Civil Partners (title is way too long to type here;)) Act on succession.

He's talking Property in the context of constitutional law ;)

He's talking Property in the context of constitutional law ;)

Lol Hogzy, you were quick to spot that:D I deleted those two posts, am fuzzy from lack of sleep so didn't see that. Ahem:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 uhoh1

i was just wondering in constitutional does the civil partnership and cohabitation act 2010 alter that chapter of the family in the independent manual. I think the exam papers are set in jan some time and the act just came in the 1st of jan so do people think it would be examinable this year, or just worth a side note? I have not fully investigated the act but does that change status of child and non marital fathers rights etc...can any one help?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Is anyone doing Freedom of Association?

• Advertisement

Is anyone doing Freedom of Association?

Im not going to bother doing association or assembly. It came up last year in a dedicated question so i dont see it being worthwhile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement