Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

db707 wrote: »
    I have been looking over old papers and I didn't see qualified privilege or absolute privilege comeup much (especially in the problem qu's). I have been focusing on truth and fair and reasonable publication. GCD recommended knowing the act well with just a few relevant cases.

Thanks, I think I got truth and fair and reasonable learned well enough, fingers crossed.I feel a little behind because I think I'm in a minority of people who didn't go to any prep courses, lecturer was critical of them.Really wish I had gone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, I'm going a bit stir crazy at this stage.

10 more days, 10 more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Hi guys,

Just a quick q- i'm getting my legislation ready to hand in tomorrow morning before tort and i am completely kerfuffled as to which no is my actual exam no- is it the three digit candidate no. or the reference no in the left hand corner?

Thanks.

Best of luck to everyone over the course of these exams x We'll get through them, ten days and they will (hopefully!) be history

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dal86

Hi guys,

Just a quick q- i'm getting my legislation ready to hand in tomorrow morning before tort and i am completely kerfuffled as to which no is my actual exam no- is it the three digit candidate no. or the reference no in the left hand corner?

Thanks.

Best of luck to everyone over the course of these exams x We'll get through them, ten days and they will (hopefully!) be history

It is the three digit number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi guys,

Thanks.

It'll be a while before they have 5-digit numbers of candidates! Has anybody got a high number - say over 500, to give us an idea of the number going to the line this time? Mine have always been low, suggesting they are probably allocated alphabetically, so if you are towards the end of the alphabet, what's your number? Just curious - JC 151

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

JCJCJC wrote: »
    It'll be a while before they have 5-digit numbers of candidates! Has anybody got a high number - say over 500, to give us an idea of the number going to the line this time? Mine have always been low, suggesting they are probably allocated alphabetically, so if you are towards the end of the alphabet, what's your number? Just curious - JC 151

I know an S whos in the 800s...
    they must be alphabetical as I'm in the middle of the alphabet and I'm in the 450's

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks.

yeap they are in alphabetical order seen as I'm always near the end, don't have the letter to hand but I think I'm in the 920's or 930's somewhere! Numbers are down from last year anyway, last year I was in the 1000 category!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Kamilat wrote: »
    yeap they are in alphabetical order seen as I'm always near the end, don't have the letter to hand but I think I'm in the 920's or 930's somewhere! Numbers are down from last year anyway, last year I was in the 1000 category!
    Jeez my number is under 100, I forget the amount of ppl that are after me and I am "C" in the alphabet!!! Good Luck everyone, fingers crossed there is no red herrings in the papers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Kamilat wrote: »

That is quite interesting, it points to approx 1,000 candidates, you'd think the sods would have kept the Cork exam centre open with that kind of fee income, people are probably doing three subjects on average I'd guess. From experience in another arena, C is the most prevalent initial in Irish surnames so a spread in numbers in the C's isn't surprising. No scarcity of solicitors for another while it seems. Anyway, back to the constitution...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 erinp

Im usually one of the last Cs and Im in the 180s I think. Gosh I didnt realise that that many people were doing them, thought they'd just allocate the number based on when we applied (stupid idea actually) and I applied so late I thought nearly no one was doing exams this year. Good luck everyone, Ill be the one running out frantically cos I forgot to bring in pens (I always forget them... bodes well :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I know someone in mid 800's Im mid 400's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

I'm mid to late 700's a few seats up from march so less taking them this year it would seem.

Long treck to dublin tomorrow, company wed and constitutional thurs, please let them be nice papers.

Best of luck tomorrow for everyone sitting tort, sat it in march, big subject. my one tip for any exam especially tort is answer 5 questions no matter how stuck for time you are even if you only have 5/10 mins ( as was in my case)for the last q just do bullet points the whole way down the page. put a main heading and then a case name that relates to that point beside it and a relevant section.

I done that and i got 51. 35 mins per q is so so important so ive worked on that this time round for my next 4 subjects.

good luck. x:)

I am just praying to see any five of the following tomorrow- professional neg (med/sols/neg misstatement), nervous shock, employers liability, vicarious liability, occupiers liability, nuisance, defamation and defective products. Fingers crossed! x

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Good Luck to everyone!

Thanks for all the help and info' on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ciaran Patton

123A wrote: »
    First time on the thread! Just wondering in criminal law do you actually have to recite the definitions contained in the acts word for word or is it ok if you just named the section, act and gave it a line in your words?
    Please help anyone who's passed criminal and not quoted them word for word??:)

It would probably be more impressive to summarise (accurately) a legislative provision in your own words.

Ciarán.
    Independent College Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

What came up on tort today? Hope the examiners are being nice!Whats the exams halls like?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bcdccm

Hey Everybody,

Just a question re bringing the legislative sources into the exam. Doing Company law tomorrow. I know you can highlight/underline the book; Is it ok to have them little tabs on it? At the moment my Companies Acts has a load of coloured coded tabs sticking out of it; will that be allowed?

Also how early do you need to leave it in with them, if your dropping it in on the morning of the exam?

I know its supposed to be at least a day before the exam but I was there yesterday and nobody was there to take it off me and I cant keep running up and down to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Q1-Limitations essay
    Q2- Defamation
    Q3-D.O.C Essay
    Q4-Vicarious
    Q5-Nuisance
    Q6-Professional Neg
    Q7-Nervous Shock
    Q8-Trespass

At least i hope that's what was on the paper!!
    Exam Hall was fine.
    now a week left till property.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Q1-Limitations essay
    Q2- Defamation
    Q3-D.O.C Essay
    Q4-Vicarious
    Q5-Nuisance
    Q6-Professional Neg
    Q7-Nervous Shock
    Q8-Trespass

At least i hope that's what was on the paper!!
    Exam Hall was fine.
    now a week left till property.

sounds like a doable paper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Val Corbett predicted the Tort paper 100%. Fairly impressive to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hogzy wrote: »
    Val Corbett predicted the Tort paper 100%. Fairly impressive to say the least.

nice one for the heads up d*ckhead!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

bcdccm wrote: »
    Hey Everybody,

Just a question re bringing the legislative sources into the exam. Doing Company law tomorrow. I know you can highlight/underline the book; Is it ok to have them little tabs on it? At the moment my Companies Acts has a load of coloured coded tabs sticking out of it; will that be allowed?

Also how early do you need to leave it in with them, if your dropping it in on the morning of the exam?

I know its supposed to be at least a day before the exam but I was there yesterday and nobody was there to take it off me and I cant keep running up and down to Dublin!

You can tab and highlight, no writing. They should take the legislation from here on out seeing as the exams have started. Good luck!

Tort down but no time for celebrating- company law looming. Just wondering if anybody knows what the Ind Coll lecturer tipped for Company? I did Griffith and just wondering if there are any similarities (as if that makes it a dead cert like- who am i trying to kid?).

My dream paper tomorrow- consequences incorporation, directors duties to whom are they owed, examinership, corporate borrowing and ultra vires.

Last paper imo was nasty which means this one should be nice, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

Tort down but no time for celebrating- company law looming. Just wondering if anybody knows what the Ind Coll lecturer tipped for Company? I did Griffith and just wondering if there are any similarities (as if that makes it a dead cert like- who am i trying to kid?).

My dream paper tomorrow- consequences incorporation, directors duties to whom are they owed, examinership, corporate borrowing and ultra vires.

Last paper imo was nasty which means this one should be nice, right?

I thought tort was ok- i was so happy to see nervous shock :)
    As of company- i think either directors or corporate borrowings will come back. you cant have both ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Happy with tort today, seemed eminently more doable than some of the past papers but maybe that was just the adrenaline kicking in. 2 and a half days before contract now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

Just a quick question, am I right in thinking that it is no longer the case that an examiner can't be appointed if receiver has been acting for more than fourteen days? Reading a sample paper saying that's the case but I was sure it no longer applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 parripassu

Hi I am hoping someone can help me! I have the Courtney/McCann Companies Acts 1963 - 2009 (pink cover) for the exam tomorrow. I can't seem to find the section on examiners at all. I know it was introduced in the 1990 Act and amended in the 1999 but I can't find reference to examiners in either Acts. If someone could let me know the page number I'd be ever so grateful!

Also to the person above re the removal of a Receiver by the appointment of an Examiner it can happen if the Receiver has been appointed within 3 days. After 3 days there is no right to remove a Receiver. See section 3(6).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Asho87

There's 970-something candidates! Dunno if that's good or bad, obviously the people who really want it are going to still do the exams wherever possible. Might just be less people "giving them a go"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

parripassu wrote: »
    Hi I am hoping someone can help me! I have the Courtney/McCann Companies Acts 1963 - 2009 (pink cover) for the exam tomorrow. I can't seem to find the section on examiners at all. I know it was introduced in the 1990 Act and amended in the 1999 but I can't find reference to examiners in either Acts. If someone could let me know the page number I'd be ever so grateful!

Also to the person above re the removal of a Receiver by the appointment of an Examiner it can happen if the Receiver has been appointed within 3 days. After 3 days there is no right to remove a Receiver. See section 3(6).

I DONT HAVE THE PAGE NUMBER AS I HANDED MY BOOK IN BUT IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BOOK- IT WILL BE IN THE 1990 ACT SECTION-(NOT THE 1963 Part) IT IS SEVERAL PAGES LONG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

juliach wrote: »
    I thought tort was ok- i was so happy to see nervous shock :)
    As of company- i think either directors or corporate borrowings will come back. you cant have both ;)

Directors comes up every paper in at least 1 sometimes 2 questions. corporate borrowing up every year but was not on last paper so very possible both would be on. dont think its an either/or type situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement