Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What question on the Company paper was on Capital Maintenance? I didnt study it so i couldnt identify it to save my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

it was q 3 in conjuction with s.31 director loans.
    S.60 relates to financial assistance. was an ok question. was expecting capital as an essay q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LSH

Well I def failed Company...an ok paper but I wasnt properly prepared!!

Anyhow that leaves 3 exams that I have to pass....anyone have any words of wisdom / tips for Contract, Equity and Criminal that will help me out of this depressive state I am in!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

LSH wrote: »
    Well I def failed Company...an ok paper but I wasnt properly prepared!!

Anyhow that leaves 3 exams that I have to pass....anyone have any words of wisdom / tips for Contract, Equity and Criminal that will help me out of this depressive state I am in!!!:(

The great thing about these fe1s is you would be surprised- you may actually have passed! I was prepared and able to answer everything but couldnt remember that many cases - so that has probably caused me to fail. I had such a blank was even debating about doing the inspector question just from the acts:D.

Oh and one other thing - could that idiot who feels the necessity to do his Macauley Culkin/dog shaking drool from his mouth impression every few minutes in the exam hall please stop! These exams are bad enough.

The great thing about these fe1s is you would be surprised- you may actually have passed! I was prepared and able to answer everything but couldnt remember that many cases - so that has probably caused me to fail. I had such a blank was even debating about doing the inspector question just from the acts:D.

Oh and one other thing - could that idiot who feels the necessity to do his Macauley Culkin/dog shaking drool from his mouth impression every few minutes in the exam hall please stop! These exams are bad enough.

Thank you for your kind words....but nope it was deffo a fail for me!! My 2 year old would have actually done better!! Yes that bad!!

Anyhow onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Anyone bringing the Sale of Goods Act and SGSSA into contract? Just realised we were allowed there, I though we weren't allowed anything in contract. Where would I buy originals, there's a place on Molesworth St yeah?

cotch wrote: »
    hey guys

What topics are you focusing on For contract I'm mainly looking at

promissory estoppel
    Formaal and evidentiary requirements
    contractual terms
    exemption
    misrep
    illigal contracts
    discharge
    remedies

anything you thing needs to be added or removed from the list ??

cheers guys ...

Cliona Kelly is on for the Law Reform Committee for Privity of Contract and has written various reports, so might be an option to look over that and maybe Frustration.....
    Although going on company paper I have no credibility whatsoever!!!!

cotch wrote: »
    hey guys

What topics are you focusing on For contract I'm mainly looking at

promissory estoppel
    Formaal and evidentiary requirements
    contractual terms
    exemption
    misrep
    illigal contracts
    discharge
    remedies

anything you thing needs to be added or removed from the list ??

cheers guys ...

I don't know what to add or subtract as I haven't been trying to guess what'll come up, just trying to get a decent amount of the course down. Here are the topics I'm studying:

Offer and acceptance
    Consideration and estoppel
    Terms
    Misrep
    Exemption clauses
    Mistake
    Discharge
    Remedies

Also an outline knowledge of capacity, sale of goods and (hopefully) privity. Just how "outline" depends on time.

Worried that if I get a nasty set of questions I might be screwed. Judging by past papers I always seem to get five questions, though sometimes it's a bit of a close call!

i would recommend that you do privity, void and illegal contracts, frustration as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Can I drop in the Consumer acts for Contract on Friday morning before the exam, or does it have be tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Can I drop in the Consumer acts for Contract on Friday morning before the exam, or does it have be tomorrow?
    Yep you can, you won't have them for the start of the exam but you should have them within 45 mins to an hour!!!

smjsmj wrote: »
    i would recommend that you do privity, void and illegal contracts, frustration as well.

Thanks, I'll do privity and I am doing frustration, I was including frustration when I said discharge. I know I'm stupid for leaving out illegal contracts but I feel like it's too late to undertake something like that at this stage. I'll consider giving it a look-over tonight though.

Has anyone any tips for Constitutional 2mro? Long tough one methinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dal86

glengirlie wrote: »

I would say either the president or the attorney general are due a run more likely the president giving the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Constitutional is the only one where you cannot have any predictions. President and AG is topical but that doesnt mean its going to come up. This examiner plays spin the bottle with topics. There is absolutly NO guaranteed questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

For contract I was planning on leaving out formal and evidentiary requirements, duress, undue influence and exemption clauses. I intend to know a few cases on capacity, and the mixable parts of consumer protection but not the entire topic for a full question (leaving out eu part). For misrep I am just planning on learning the three different kinds but not going into too much detail on these.

I don't know anyone else taking the exam so would really appreciate any thoughts or advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Well, if cold turkey comes up I'll get a A the way I'm feeling right now ;-) I'm banking on privacy, interpretation, stopping trials for evidence/publicity problems, various hierarchies of rights, pres/ag, sep of powers, access to solr whilst in custody, property, whacking unconstitutional legislation, retro legislation, equality and generally confirming his view that the ECHR ain't nothing much to worry about in Ireland for the time being anyway. I think the questions will be well mixed, not one single issue per question but opportunities to drag in all kinds of stuff, or opportunities to be missed if I get too stressed. I could be taking an early shower yet...my head is sore trying to retain all the blasted cases. I am hopeless at the cases where initials are used, AG and DPP are about the only ones I'll probably remember. Always hated 'em in family law too.

JC

Dal86 wrote: »
    I would say either the president or the attorney general are due a run more likely the president giving the circumstances
    Was thinking the President myself, but it is quiet a simple topic for an essay question. They may be done with the AG, has come up a good few times. In my dream world would love both along with SOP, Property Rights, Unenumerated and some more easier essay questions...all though dreams never come through :(

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Well, if cold turkey comes up I'll get a A the way I'm feeling right now ;-) I'm banking on privacy, interpretation, stopping trials for evidence/publicity problems, various hierarchies of rights, pres/ag, sep of powers, access to solr whilst in custody, property, whacking unconstitutional legislation, retro legislation, equality and generally confirming his view that the ECHR ain't nothing much to worry about in Ireland for the time being anyway. I think the questions will be well mixed, not one single issue per question but opportunities to drag in all kinds of stuff, or opportunities to be missed if I get too stressed. I could be taking an early shower yet...my head is sore trying to retain all the blasted cases. I am hopeless at the cases where initials are used, AG and DPP are about the only ones I'll probably remember. Always hated 'em in family law too.

JC
    I feel your pain JC, remembering everything is such a pain, passed Const the last time, not as confident this time :( Hoping for some nice essays to ease me in and can fudge my way through all the problems of the poor unfortunate people they get us to advise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

I'm REALLY hoping for a privacy Q- i wrote a thesis on it, it would be a sweet question. Other than that i have prepared: SOP (del leg/judicial power/doctrine non justiciability), locus standi, unenumerated rights esp. privacy, fair procedures and livelihood, due process, property, constitutional interpretation/hierarchy of rights and equality and the president. What I think/hope for: problem Q delegated leg/property rights, essay president, essay interpretation, problem privacy and probably problem due process. If only it was that straightforward. Can't shake off feeling religion might make an appearance and I just haven't the brain power to so much as bulletpoint another topic and if i don't have enough for 5 qs tomorrow i will be raging. I literally have hundreds of case names floating around my brain. This time tomorrow I will only have 5 left- WHY did i go for all 8- AND it's my birthday on Friday. I have never been so tired in all my life!

JC

• Advertisement

.... I literally have hundreds of case names floating around my brain. This time tomorrow I will only have 5 left- WHY did i go for all 8- AND it's my birthday on Friday. I have never been so tired in all my life!

OMG, another all-eight jockey. You guys amaze me, I couldn't imagine tackling that challenge. You could always try climbing the eight highest mountains in Ireland in the afternoons as well to pass the time I suppose ;-). I know a guy who did the eight, got seven and was pissed off. Incomprehensible to me. I have four so far, and No. 8 looks as far off as ever right now. I'm doing two this time, and if I get those two I'll be well enough pleased. Anyway, good luck with it! And enjoy your birthday, cos there's no exam on saturday ;-)

JC

OMG, another all-eight jockey. You guys amaze me, I couldn't imagine tackling that challenge. You could always try climbing the eight highest mountains in Irealnd in the afternoons as well to pass the time I suppose ;-). I know a guy who did the eight, got seven and was pissed off. Incomprehensible to me. I have four so far, and No. 8 looks as far off as ever right now. I'm doing two this time, and if I get those two I'll be well enough pleased. Anyway, good luck with it! And enjoy your birthday, cos there's no exam on saturday ;-)

JC

Haha thanks JC but I think my birthday will be spent liaising with property law which i absolutely HATE with a passion- it just does nothing for me- then EU and Criminal cram on Sat and Equity day Sunday- I'll be holed up in the Ibis all weekend- been here since Sun, when I walk out next Thurs I swear never setting foot in here again.

I blame my dad, his theory is 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. I'm in for the pound. Starting training contract in the big smoke next May and would love to get all of them this time so I can be free and easy when they are done.

FE1s ruin lives. Nasty nasty beasts.

I feel your pain JC, remembering everything is such a pain, passed Const the last time, not as confident this time :( Hoping for some nice essays to ease me in and can fudge my way through all the problems of the poor unfortunate people they get us to advise!!!

Been there. I've passed tort and property twice. It would be a right bugger to drop one you already have, but at least you're into the swing of the FE1s and the examiners' style, it shouldn't happen. I have noticed that what the prep schools predict for a given sitting that doesn't come up, often comes up the next time - their judgment of the examiners trends isn't off by much. For example, in March 2010 GCD's man said animal torts are probably due an appearance - they didn't come that time but did in October, so he had the right general air of it. Man, I knew everything about rottweilers, tigers, elephants, horses in Athlone and sheep in the Curragh - you name it - by October ;-)

Here's a statutory tort problem question. The circus comes to town, and a few animals escape - a zebra, a lion and a buffalo. The local garda station has been closed due to the cutbacks and the green man has been vandalised. All that's open is the UDC. What (if anything) can they do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Cherry_Angel

MoneyMilo wrote: »

You can drop it in Friday... Will be about an hour gone n d exam when you get it back all the same... U wud have to drop it in by 1 tomorrow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LawNerd2011

Hi fellow FE1ers,

Hope everybody is hanging in there. We’ll be done before we know it. I was just wondering what are people personal preferences regarding EU & Constitutional Lecturers. I was looking at taking one of the Revision courses in eitth Independent Colleges, City Colleges or GCD. With the lecturers chopping and changing it’s so hard to know who’s god. I’m sure it’s a personal opinion but I’d love to hear people’s feedback. You are the experts after all.

I hope you can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Was wondering if anyone could help me by sending me last years paper! I have somehow lost it and am freaking out here! Thanks!

Hi fellow FE1ers,

Hope everybody is hanging in there. We’ll be done before we know it. I was just wondering what are people personal preferences regarding EU & Constitutional Lecturers. I was looking at taking one of the Revision courses in eitth Independent Colleges, City Colleges or GCD. With the lecturers chopping and changing it’s so hard to know who’s god. I’m sure it’s a personal opinion but I’d love to hear people’s feedback. You are the experts after all.

I hope you can help.

I sat eu in the last sitting and done the course with griffith. i thought the lecturer was really good. eu isnt a great subject so whoever you do it with its gonna be boring, i done the intensive one day revision with jenny too and she went through past questions and how to go about answering them, which i thought was so beneficial to me in the exam. would definetly recommend her.
    Constitutional im only sitting now, went with griffith college again, wouldnt be a great fan of david llangwaller. i think he has a vast knowledge of constitutional law, but teaching wise i didnt think he was great.( in my opinion) other lecturers go through questions with you in class and show you how to approach a problem question. the equity and company lecturers were great for that.

Independent i havent heard much about except val corbett is meant to be brill at tort. i was with gcd and thought the lecturer was really good too.

City colleges i believe is only newly open so i havent heard anything on that.
    I would recommend griffith all the way.

I'm REALLY hoping for a privacy Q- i wrote a thesis on it, it would be a sweet question. Other than that i have prepared: SOP (del leg/judicial power/doctrine non justiciability), locus standi, unenumerated rights esp. privacy, fair procedures and livelihood, due process, property, constitutional interpretation/hierarchy of rights and equality and the president. What I think/hope for: problem Q delegated leg/property rights, essay president, essay interpretation, problem privacy and probably problem due process. If only it was that straightforward. Can't shake off feeling religion might make an appearance and I just haven't the brain power to so much as bulletpoint another topic and if i don't have enough for 5 qs tomorrow i will be raging. I literally have hundreds of case names floating around my brain. This time tomorrow I will only have 5 left- WHY did i go for all 8- AND it's my birthday on Friday. I have never been so tired in all my life!

Firstly happy birthday for Friday. beering session next weekend then so which will be well over due:)
    Secondly fair play to ya sitting all 8, 4 and 4 is plenty for me.
    I have the exact same as you prepared so at least there is two of us wanting the same paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LawNerd2011

Thanks for that smjsmj and best of luck for tomorrow! Will be jealous of you finished Constitutional law tomorrow, knowing what's ahead of me in the next few months.

Seems like I need to keep looking for a good constitutional law lecturer so. The lecturers for constitutional in the various prep schools are as follows:
    IC - Siobhan Cummiskey
    City Collegess - Brendan Foley
    GCD - David Langwallner

For EU they are:
    IC - Gary Fitzgerald
    City Colleges - Brendan Foley
    GCD - Jennifer Goode

Any opinions would be appreciated, especially regarding Brendan Foley.

P.S. I realize it's a completely subjective and what works for the goose might not work for the gander. Nevertheless, I would appreciate people's opinions.

• Advertisement

smjsmj wrote: »
    Firstly happy birthday for Friday. beering session next weekend then so which will be well over due:)
    Secondly fair play to ya sitting all 8, 4 and 4 is plenty for me.
    I have the exact same as you prepared so at least there is two of us wanting the same paper.

Thanks very much for the early birthday wishes! Here's hoping! x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement